E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Sirdaft1 335i Racecar Build Thread - PHASE ONE COMPLETE! **UPDATED 11/7**

07-17-2017, 10:45 PM   #1
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Sirdaft1 335i Racecar Build Thread - PHASE ONE COMPLETE! **UPDATED 11/7**

Posts #1-3 in this thread will have the chronological order of the biggest items of the build (from oldest down to newest). I'll try to use the later posts in this thread to share smaller details on this build/answer questions. As you can imagine... there's quite a bit of work that goes into building a race car

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some background:
After heartwrenchingly losing my big twin turbo 335 in early 2017, I found my way back onto the E9x N54 platform with the goal to build a full-on, not-street-legal, race car intended to run competitively in NASA ST1/Time Attack/Gridlife track events/etc (With a loftly goal of perhaps even PPIHC??). One of the goals of starting this build thread is to show the 335 community the capabilities of the N54/e9x platform in a road course/motorsports setting. This will NOT be a daily driver (hell, it won't even be street legal!). And while I have nothing but respect for high horsepower dyno and half mile shootout builds, the goals of this build will be very different. Reliability will be key. That means addressing cooling. Cutting as much weight from the car as possible. And choosing safe power over max power. HUGE thanks to Eric and the crew at eFab Motorsports for bringing this build to life (as the photos can attest to, no corners have been cut!!) and to turb0mik3 for his incredible insights.

I'm also documenting this build extensively on my IG as well: DaftPhotog.

The car: 2007 BMW E90 335i 6MT

Current modification list (I may be forgetting some):

Engine:
  • Stock turbos w/ RB inlets (plans to convert to bottom mount ST)
  • Fuel-It Stg 2 LPFP
  • AR Design DP's
  • MHD Tune
  • VRSF 7" FMIC
  • Evolution Racewerks Competition Dual Oil Coolers modified by eFab to be top feed
  • HARD Motorsports Low Temp Oil Thermostat
  • CSF Aluminum Radiator
  • Stage 2 Clutch
  • Single mass fly wheel
  • Slimmed down custom wiring harness

Suspension/Brakes/Wheels:
  • Apex ARC-8 Satin Black Wheels - 18" x 10.5" ET27
  • Toyo R888R's - 275 front, 295 rear (plan to move to a square setup shortly)
  • MCS SA full coilover w/ M3 spherical rears
  • Sparta Rotors w/ PFC-08 pads (plans to upgrade to BBK in near future - anticipate this showing as a weak point shortly)
  • Full solid bushings
  • AKG solid engine mounts
  • M-Factory LSD
  • M3 front and rear control arms

Cosmetic:
  • HARD Motorsports Leichtbau Widebody Kit (no longer running original fender flare kit)
  • Pre-LCI M-Tech Front Bumper (to fit HARD Widebody)
  • HARD Motorsports Rear Diffuser
  • Custom center exit straight pipe exhaust
  • LCI Trunk (no longer running CF CSL trunk)

Interior:
  • Gutted interior - no a/c, dash, sound deadening, etc.
  • Full roll cage done by eFab Motorsports painted brilliant gold
  • Carbon Fiber Sunroof Delete Insert
  • Sparco Circuit 2 Halo Seat
  • Schroth Profi II-6H Harnesses
  • Momo quick release and three spoke racing wheel
  • CAE Shifter
  • SPA Multi-flo AFFF Fire Suppression System

A few "before" pics before she went on a diet and got a bit wider. The current livery pays homage to the old F1 "John Player Special" Lotus 79. We plan to keep with that theme

(click photos for higher res version- only showing low res on here)

Last edited by sirdaft1; 11-08-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Appreciate 7
      07-17-2017, 10:46 PM   #2
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
7/27 UPDATE
Must say, at this moment she looks more like a part out car than a racecar, but it's really exciting to see how far it's progressed.

Interior shot. So much room for activities! That said, it won't be long until this space is filled with a bunch of tubing!

When you go on a diet, every little bit adds up. There are so many mounting tabs and miscellaneous brackets that will no longer be used. Just from removing these small bit, the box of these pieces must have weighed 10-15lbs.

The gray/tan areas on the floor is where the factory sound deadening tar sat. All together, the tar alone weighed in at 17lbs.

A/C has been removed. New CSF radiator, low temp oil thermostat and more efficiently designed custom chargepipe (since no a/c, can route cp directly to the FMIC) are next on the underhood list.

Raw tubing has arrived and will start taking shape next week.

Pre-widebody width

Where'd my stereo and A/C go?!

7/30 UPDATE
Rear strut cage downtube mount plates getting welded in

8/2 UPDATE
A few photos from my visit to check on the progress today. The main hoop was bent and tack welded in. Cage should be done within 2 weeks. While this is taking place we have our wiring guy slimming down the main engine harness to include only the basic necessities. Since 95% of the factory systems are going bye bye, we should see some drastic weight savings from the harness and wiring (not to mention MUCH cleaner of a setup). I will be honest, the wiring side of things is what concerns me the most when dealing with a modern CANBUS vehicle. But I'm being reassured that I just need to let the professionals do what they do and trust them with it.

That said, some bad news. We discovered that either due to PO install error or some design flaw with KW using all stainless materials (it doesn't rust though, right?? ), the lower part of where the strut mounts to the rear lower control were busted up (threads were completely stripped on one, the other just broke off when we tried to remove the nut). That said... we're sending the Clubsports in to KW for a rebuild as we work on lining up a killer MCS suspension setup that's dialed in specifically for this car. Should be a nice upgrade over the Clubsports and much more track car oriented.

Not much has changed on the exterior yet. Heard from Jake at HARD Motorsports today and they are finishing up the Leichtbau Widebody and should have it in the mail within the next few days. M-Tech bumper has arrived and will go on after cage is complete. New CSF radiator is ready for install, along with low temp HARD Motorsports oil cooler thermostat. Planning on venting the hood and installing aerocatch hood pins.

The plan is to run sans aero kit for the next 10 months to really explore the limits of the car; then consider adding aero mid-season 2018 (completely dependent on how dialed in we can get the car by then).

PROGESS.

I'm a tall guy (6'3") and the e90 has plenty of room to fit the main hoop a little further back to accomodate me.

My what beefy plates you have

A view to from the front. Within two weeks, there should be many more bars in place. That's our male model and the mastermind behind this build; Eric with eFab over to the left giving his best Blue Steel impression

Below is the stock 335 lower control arm (bottom horizontal blackish/grayish piece). Because we need new suspension anyways, replacement M3 lower control arms on order to properly fix the stock crappy 335 design that uses a rubber bushing where the strut mounts to the lower control arm. The plan is to run 335 front suspension with M3 rear suspension since we're replacing the suspension with MCS's anyways. The m3 version uses a solid mount which translates to far less slop and better response/feedback

If planning to do this same upgrade that requires m3 rear struts, it's worth mentioning that brand new lower m3 control arms can either be bought new for $200+ per side ($400 total from Bimmerworld, ECS, etc.), or good condition used versions can be found ALL OVER eBay for a fraction of that. I found a good used pair for $150.

And for anyone wanting to upgrade from the crappy rubber bushing without going full M3 mode, AKG makes a rear lower shock mount which adapts the stock 335 rear dampener to a solid spherical bearing setup. That said, NVM will likely be increased. Link to said bushing:
https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...e9x-spherical/

I come from the e30 world prior to this and the 335 guibo is about twice the size of the e30's! It's YUUUGE.

Last pic... since we plan on running proper aero at some point, that means no more beautiful ECS Carbon Fiber CSL trunk. Excellent looks but we'll be running a full on wing at some point, and the CSL lid is unfortunately more for 'show' than it is for 'go'. I found a local enthusiast parting out a BSM LCI e90 with the stock trunk and tails for a good price, which is going to be our setup going forward. That said, the Carbon Fiber pre-lci CSL boot lid is up for sale here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1408443

(think we should keep the 328i badging?? )

8/9 UPDATE
I've never been asked to wear a helmet during a oil change in the past. Very odd... starting to suspect that eFab is up to something that goes beyond a simple oil change...

From my quick 3-hour visit tonight to check seat location and fitment above my head. These e90's are pretty damn surprising in seeing just how much room they have. I'm 6'3" and with a halo seat, I have quite a bit of head room!

These cages take ALOT of time to make sure you have proper fitment and symmetrical pieces (drivers/passengers sides). That said, major parts are bent and the rest should go together pretty quickly. Eric said most of the cage should be done by Friday of this week/early next week depending on how tough the door bars are. Quite a few more shots from the inside...

Instead of the X style structure, we went with an A frame. This allows us to make the open area above the drivers head (me) much smaller than if it were a traditional X structure, providing more safety in the event of a rollover. #themoreyouknow

Also, the difference with the A-pillar bars in this photo vs my previous post were that these completed ones are one continuous bar vs multiple welded together pieces. The welded/multi piece version is how a template is made to find the right shape which can then be copied when bending one single piece of steel. Most major racing sanctioning bodies only allow three bends in the single A-pillar bar. Ours is bent in such a way that we'll be able to weld the bars to the actual body of the car, further increasing rigidity.

8/14 UPDATE
Paid another visit to the shop today. Seeing the way tubing is bent to fit... it's artwork. There are a number of spots in the car where the tubing runs directly along the structure of the car, that allowed us to weld the cage directly to the body of the car; increasing rigidity while avoiding the need to add weight from gussets. Seriously impressive work.

The plan is to have the cage done done in the next few days, then paint it, then install all wiring. From there, it'll be a few days to install the widebody, and another week (??) installing MCS suspension, CSF radiator and a bunch of other miscellaneous odds and ends (fire suppression, door pulls, new serp belt/pulleys, mounting new buttons/kill switches, mounting race seats, etc.) I'll say right now that I've never been a part of a build that is this extensive. It gives you a massive amount of appreciation for the level of skill and time required to undertake this project. Couldn't be more excited to watch this come together.

Here's a dump of photos I shot tonight... let me know if you guys have any questions.

Passenger side

Look at the bracing in the roof. Serious roll protection.

Drivers side

Rear Passenger

8/17
HARD Motorsports Leichtbau Widebody Arrived! The way they packed this was seriously impressive! I expected a couple of giant boxes delivered via freight, but instead it all fit nicely into one box, delivered by the USPS at that! Also impressive is that this kit weighs very little. I was somewhat concerned that it would add a fair amount of weight, but that's certainly not the case.

This is gonna be fun. FYI we think that we could hypothetically fit a 305 up front and a 325 out rear

This is with a 10.5 wide rear wheel and ET27 offset. Plan to run a spacer for the time being until we get some custom offset wheels.

Widebody next to 1M fender.

8/19 UPDATE
The mad scientist welding up the drivers side door gussets...

When I say that there are 29947362527 random 'little things' that need to get done, this is a perfect case in point... the custom fabbed sheet metal dash surround that looks amazing. since we're running dash-less, to save on weight, this should provide some excellent functionality for securing the stock gauge bezel and prevent glare.

Now we're trying to figure out which color to paint the interior. We are absolutely going to continue with the old Lotus 79 "John Player Special" black/gold livery on the outside, like this...

So we're tossing around interior paint colors. The most common race car interior colors are either white or a lighter silver/gray. We tried white and its out, too much contrast with the black exterior. So, I was either thinking silver or gray, OR a much rarer option... GOLD . Its definitely not a color you expect to see in a race car, but it could compliment the Lotus 77/John Player look we are staying with. Below are samples of how each looked. Choices, choices...

The three samples below...

Gray

Silver

Gold

8/21 UPDATE
More fabrication work underway, this time on a custom steering wheel column mount.

Installed!

8/23 UPDATE
More boxes have arrived! Lots of miscellaneous goodies and one HUGELY important delivery...

MCS's have arrived!!!!!

Could not be more excited. These should be a huge improvement over the KW's.

We will be running the M3 rear lower control arm and MCS was kind enough to make a custom rear set that allows me to run the 335 damper with the lower m3 spherical bearing mount. HUGE upgrade over the crappy stock 335 rubber bushing mount.

Verifying fitment in the m3 rear lower control arm...

Spot on.

We also tested fitted location for the dash bezel...

And noticed some beautiful gusseting above the windshield that wasn't there the last time I checked...

8/29 UPDATE
Here's a long update with some learning takeaways for future reference...

The mad scientist hard at work doing some small modifications to the HARD widebody rear pieces. I'm pretty impressed with how plug and play widebody is. It only requires minimal cutting/shaving to get spot on fitment. For those who have PM'd me, this is the widebody kit we're running.

Fitting the widebody on the rear...

Rivets in the body

Rear widebody panel installed

The motor is finally back in and getting put back together. You wouldn't even be able to tell that there is a full sized CSF aluminum radiator stuffed in there. Since it's so much thicker than stock, it usually pushes the fan closer to the engine, making it difficult to fit aftermarket inlets. Since we did away with the A/C condenser, the shop was able to relocate the mounting tabs on the CSF and push it forward a full inch- giving us precious room to fit the custom front inlet that wraps around the front of the engine. Zoom closely and you'll see a hard mounted, much more solid aluminum custom inlet. While we plan to go single turbo in the near future, in the meantime there is no need to worry about the inlet touching the pulleys while we run the stock twins. Little details like this take time in a build like this, but are necessary modifications to ensure added reliability on the track.

Custom aluminum front inlet bolts directly to one of the stock inlet mounting points...

Also added mounts for the filters (new filters on order, these are duuuuurty), so they aren't just bouncing around on the drivers side engine bay. Front filter mounted to alternator bracket:

Rear filter mounted to strut tower brace:

One pretty substantial issue with the CSF Radiator. Since I'm currently running a VRSF 7" FMIC, the IC connection happens to occupy the same exact space as the radiator outlet on the CSF. Fortunately when we moved the CSF further forward, it gave us the clearance. But it's worth highlighting the issue for anyone else running a VRSF FMIC who is considering a CSF. It's very odd.

After (yay, clearance!)

Difficult to tell in this photo but the CAE shifter was moved away from the front so that it's in line with the location of where I'll have the steering wheel.

M3 Steering Rack has arrived! The ratio of the M3 rack is 12.5:1 vs the stock 335's at 16:1 (22% quicker turn ratio). One note: the rack itself is plug and play HOWEVER... the inner tie rods will not fit the 335. We have to measure them, but we suspect that the inner TR are longer than the 335s as the wheels have alot of toe out even when the inners were moved all the way in. The plan is to swap the stock 335 inner and outer tie rods onto the M3 rack and call it a day.

The MOMO Mod 7 alcantara steering wheel and quick release awaiting reinstall...

HARD Motorsports eDash Tablet holder. Its a 3D printed piece designed to hold my Android so I can monitor the vitals via MHD while on track. Will it work? Sure. But I think a solid aluminum piece like this would fit the bill a bit more from a durability/motorsports application standpoint.

And still trying to convince Eric to donate the BBS FI-R's off of his 1M shop car to the #becauseracecar cause. For some reason he's not returning my texts... Regardless, it's a freaking stunning ///M

9/4 UPDATE
Welp, this just happened...

Next step is to tape off the cage and paint the rest of the interior satin black. And for future reference... we did two coats of paint on the cage and used 5 1/2 cans of spray paint. Couldn't be happier with how the paint went on. We may clear coat the cage... at least the high wear areas to prevent any chipping.

9/23 UPDATE
Cage. is. DONE.

10/6 UPDATE
Paid a quick visit to the shop. Think it's too late to go back to stock??

Full MCS coilovers + Eibach springs + Ground Control camber plates ready for install

And for those who have reached out asking about the custom oil cooler setup. E-Fab modified the Evolution Raceworks Competition Dual OC's in a few ways... flipped the OC's to be top feed (unfortunately not a plug and play modification) and changed the way they were mounted (not very secure on pass side previously).

When the OC's were flipped to top feed, the fittings touched the underside of the stock pre-LCI bi-xenon headlights (the small plastic pop out for the AE's). I since swapped to a non OE headlight that does not have that popout, so the OC fittings no longer come in contact with the headlight housing.

10/12 UPDATE
Swung by the shop tonight to drop off the painted front bumper. I must have sat there with my mouth wide open staring for at least a 1/2 hour. This build is even more insane looking in person.

Eric wasn’t kidding when he said that he “fixed the rear bumper”!! No more parachute effect on the rear wheel wells anymore!

Last edited by sirdaft1; 10-17-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2017, 10:47 PM   #3
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
**11/7/2017 UPDATE**
Phase 1 Complete! Extensive weight loss/Cage/suspension/widebody and super slimmed down wiring harness. We hoped to get her out for some test and tuning before the end of season but unfortunately it was just too tight of a timeline.

Phase 2 will be done over the winter. She’ll be torn down again to pull the drivetrain, reseal the engine, install an ACF bottom mount Borg Warner EFR single turbo, custom FMIC/radiator setup, BBK and some other goodies :-)

A few shots of her after Phase 1:

Last edited by sirdaft1; 11-07-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 11:44 PM   #4
J-Spec Dan
ALL RIGHTY THEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 STX Advance

Thumbs up

Aw snap! First new build thread that brought me back from a 2 year lurker status. This build will be sick #FTMFW
      07-17-2017, 11:47 PM   #5
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Spec Dan View Post
Aw snap! First new build thread that brought me back from a 2 year lurker status. This build will be sick #FTMFW
Yessssss! Now come help me build it
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2017, 01:00 AM   #6
Mantii
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Quote:
Yessssss! Now come help me build it
Hey man good to see you on the forums as well. This will be awesome!!
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2017, 01:04 AM   #7
BdSM n54iS
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: In front of flashing lights

Welcome back man!! New ride is looking sweeeeet
'11 335is MT BSM/Black | NAV | Premium | Convenience | Cold | HK | MHD | Cobb FMIC | Cobb CP | Cobb DP | aFe stage 2 SI | TurboSmart Dual Ports | BMS OCC | RB PCV Valve | Turner Spacers | Michelin PSS | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Front Lip | BMW Performance ///M Wheel | Sprint Booster | remoteKEY+
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2017, 05:28 AM   #8
Aus335iguy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [5.00]
That looks like a barrel of fun !
      07-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #9
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantii View Post
Thanks brother! Great meeting you the other day! Look forward to getting our cars out on the track together
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2017, 08:29 AM   #10
Mantii
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Quote:
Thanks brother! Great meeting you the other day! Look forward to getting our cars out on the track together
Hell yeah!! Waiting for my AP kit and will be doing a shake out run hopefully at the end of the month. After that I'm ready unless the car explodes haha. Did Eric get his magic wand out yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #11
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hell yeah!! Waiting for my AP kit and will be doing a shake out run hopefully at the end of the month. After that I'm ready unless the car explodes haha. Did Eric get his magic wand out yet?
Broken
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 05:52 PM   #12
max_330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Welcome back! Car looks menacing already, can't wait to see what crazy stuff you do to this one
      07-18-2017, 06:12 PM   #13
mashimarho
Hit me up for dash cams!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 LCI 335i xDrive™

Garage List
Quote:
You're still alive too?

My Progress: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770326
BBS&Forgestar///ER///BMS///AirLift///VRSF///ARKYM///DD///CYBA///STOPTECH///BMW Performance ///
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 06:41 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328

Welcome back!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 07:15 PM   #15
N55Jamaican
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90 LCI

SUBED
      07-18-2017, 08:44 PM   #16
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_330i View Post
Welcome back! Car looks menacing already, can't wait to see what crazy stuff you do to this one
Me too! lol

And for those who don't remember, this is what I had on the track last time with my previous 335i pre-big twins at Blackhawk Farms a few years ago. Lots of fun, but this new build will be night and day different. MUCH lighter, safer and faster than before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
You're still alive too?
We're all back!! You ain't cool less you got yourself a 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Welcome back!
Thanks Mike! Appreciate all of your contributions in the past. Look forward to leaning into you for some of your knowledge on the platform again

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55Jamaican View Post
SUBED
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 04:33 PM   #17
SeanS54
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 LCI 335i M-Sport

Nice!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 05:47 PM   #18
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanS54 View Post
Nice!!!
Thanks brother. I'm just doing this entire build to convince you not to give up on the 335 as your track car
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #19
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

Welcome back! sub'd for updates.
      07-19-2017, 09:45 PM   #20
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States