E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Which E93 Convertible? - Help

05-12-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
Which E93 Convertible? - Help

Guys,

I am considering trading my E90 330d M Sport (Auto) in for a E93Convertible. Was originally looking at the 335d E92 Coupe a month ago but after some thought I have decided I would probably like a convertible - must be this recent birst of sun we have had!

I still want a 6 pot (refinement / acoustic satisfaction) and would have naturally chosen another D until now; the 330d being my 3rd consecutive D.

However, as the petrol v diesel debate continues to raise it's head I am not too sure D is the way to go (especially as Diesel Fuel is approx 8% dearer of late). Nor am I sure that I should go for a Manual over the Auto. Many of you seem to think that the NA 330i is a better drivers car than a 335i too?

I generally drive in the region of 15K to 18K a Year and would be looking for a nearly new / ex demo with less than 15K on the clock.

My 330d is safely tuned to about 270ps and I would prefer not to compromise on the kind of performance that it gives me.

Price is not the main driver (no pun intended) but more important, is value for money and lots of toys. Don't mind paying more if it's a better deal.

Descisions, descisions.............

Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
I honestly dont believe for one minute the 330i is a better drivers car than a 335i.

Try them both and see what you think?!

Regarding performance from your tuned 330d i would thinkt the 335i with all its torque would suit you more than the 330i!

good luck with your choice mate!

Carlos
      05-12-2008, 08:21 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
However, as the petrol v diesel debate continues to raise it's head I am not too sure D is the way to go (especially as Diesel Fuel is approx 8% dearer of late). Nor am I sure that I should go for a Manual over the Auto. Many of you seem to think that the NA 330i is a better drivers car than a 335i too?
The most noticable difference between the 335i and 330i is at higher speeds - 60mph+

The 335i is quite a lot quicker, but you don't really need that extra performance on the road. To that extent the 330i might be enough for you and since it rewards being worked harder, it's perhaps a more involving drive.

I'd get petrol + manual every time, but that's because I enjoy driving them.
      05-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Phil,

I'd agree 100% with NFS on this, with perhaps the exception of the *manual box.
Doing the sort of mileage you are doing a diesel would not stack up financially (on fuel costs), and with a convertible it's nice to hear what you are driving.

I do a mix of London (the pits) driving + long boring miles on the M-ways, hence the 335D,auto is an absolute must in the *hite and grime that's the 'smoke', with the continual stop start driving, hence my retiscence on a manual box.

I guess it depends on your circumstances really, if I did not spend countless hours watching traffic lights change from red to green,green to red and moving 100yds every change, I would go manual too.

A 330i vert would give you all you need really,it is more then capable of losing your license for you in no time at all, and with speed camera's,mobile scamera's and the spy in the sky camera's on the way, why spend extra on the 335i to run any more of a risk.
I'm not advocating speeding by any stretch, just pointing out the 330i is a very capable car.

272 bhp, and if your interested, 0-62 in 6.5 secs, so no slouch.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
gIzzE
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Mercedes ML, F25 X3 and 2.8i Z

I would take the cab out back to back with the coupe, you have to really want a cab to sacrifice the handling compared with the coupe.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Hi Phil, seems a few on here are wondering about diesel as the means of fuel choice.

Done some quick figures and the E90 330i M sport I had averaged 28 mpg on my normal daily commute. Cost for annual mileage of 11k equates to 17.65 pence per mile. 1941.50 annual fuel bill @ 1.08.9 per litre for standard unleaded. The annual fuel cost differential between the 335d and 330i equals a 71.50 saving buying diesel fuel alone, notwithstanding the possible extra outlay for the higher residuals on the diesel, or the VED band differential between the two cars. I'm sure you can do the maths for your annual mileage. Not as much as you may have first thought?

As for an E93 - personal choice. Never been my cup of tea at all and it's predominatley women own them around my way. Doesn't all the dust get into the cabin though. Anyhow, if that's you're thing - fine, go for it.

PS. I know you're not over 50, so think you're safe getting one without looking a prat.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
If I was to buy a convertible - it would be petrol - I appreciate the 6cyl sounds better than the 4cyl but with top down motoring - I'd want the noise of the BMW petrol.
      05-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep

Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
With you on that one - I just love the sound of my 3 litre 6 pot with the roof down!

(do find myself holding onto gears longer than I would with the roof up also hence the crappy mpg I seem to obtain )
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
bmw330dconvertible
Rep

Drives: bmw 330d m sport convertible

i am sellinging my car

hello phil

i am currently selling my 330d m sport convertible which was manufactured to my spec and delivered to me in march. it has ALL the optional extras you can think of (10K worth) except active steering. i have been to bmw to get a price on a part exchange on a new car and they have recommended i try and sell it privately in order to get the maximum value back. i have a genuine reason to sell so if you or anyone else reading this is interested then please email me on asap.couriers@yahoo.com
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 02:38 AM   #10
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the offer Rolph, however if I were opting for D again I would be looking for the 335. That said I am being strongly drawn towards petrol.

Out of interest what did the dealer offer you as trade?

PhilR
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 02:51 AM   #11
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Hi Phil, seems a few on here are wondering about diesel as the means of fuel choice.

Done some quick figures and the E90 330i M sport I had averaged 28 mpg on my normal daily commute. Cost for annual mileage of 11k equates to 17.65 pence per mile. 1941.50 annual fuel bill @ 1.08.9 per litre for standard unleaded. The annual fuel cost differential between the 335d and 330i equals a 71.50 saving buying diesel fuel alone, notwithstanding the possible extra outlay for the higher residuals on the diesel, or the VED band differential between the two cars. I'm sure you can do the maths for your annual mileage. Not as much as you may have first thought?

As for an E93 - personal choice. Never been my cup of tea at all and it's predominatley women own them around my way. Doesn't all the dust get into the cabin though. Anyhow, if that's you're thing - fine, go for it.

PS. I know you're not over 50, so think you're safe getting one without looking a prat.

Thanks for your input Helen,

Based on my mileage it's hard to discount petrol at the moment. There's nothing in it cost wise and the petrol will sound great too.

As for the the E92 v E93. I started looking at E92's (with a sun roof) and have moved on from there really. Never had a vert before so never even considered the dust issue.

Manual or Auto next.......decisions, decisions.

PS Well under 40 (never mind 50) - I'm just a bairn woman.
PPS In your opiniojn how does the 330i you had (was it the 270ps) compare to the the 335D - were they both auto box too?

Now you have moved away from your tuned 335d and into the Cayman S do you miss the torque of the D at all?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 02:58 AM   #12
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Phil,

I'd agree 100% with NFS on this, with perhaps the exception of the *manual box.
Doing the sort of mileage you are doing a diesel would not stack up financially (on fuel costs), and with a convertible it's nice to hear what you are driving.

I do a mix of London (the pits) driving + long boring miles on the M-ways, hence the 335D,auto is an absolute must in the *hite and grime that's the 'smoke', with the continual stop start driving, hence my retiscence on a manual box.

I guess it depends on your circumstances really, if I did not spend countless hours watching traffic lights change from red to green,green to red and moving 100yds every change, I would go manual too.

A 330i vert would give you all you need really,it is more then capable of losing your license for you in no time at all, and with speed camera's,mobile scamera's and the spy in the sky camera's on the way, why spend extra on the 335i to run any more of a risk.
I'm not advocating speeding by any stretch, just pointing out the 330i is a very capable car.

272 bhp, and if your interested, 0-62 in 6.5 secs, so no slouch.
Thanks for your advice HotCoupe.

My only real reservation about moving away from the D is missing the masses of torque and that pinned in you seat feeling when accelerating - it still puts a smile on my face after 15 months

PhilR
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 03:15 AM   #13
dakusingh
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: None

have a read of

My Thread

it might help similar discussion.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 07:17 AM   #14
CrimsonRedE93
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Le Mans Blue E93 330d+

Garage List
The dust is not a major problem, it settles at the traffic lights and gets blown away on the motorway
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #15
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
Thanks for your input Helen,

Based on my mileage it's hard to discount petrol at the moment. There's nothing in it cost wise and the petrol will sound great too.

As for the the E92 v E93. I started looking at E92's (with a sun roof) and have moved on from there really. Never had a vert before so never even considered the dust issue.

Manual or Auto next.......decisions, decisions.

PS Well under 40 (never mind 50) - I'm just a bairn woman.
PPS In your opiniojn how does the 330i you had (was it the 270ps) compare to the the 335D - were they both auto box too?

Now you have moved away from your tuned 335d and into the Cayman S do you miss the torque of the D at all?
Yes Phil, I do remember from our previous 'conversations' that 'yer n'owt but a bairn'

My 330i was the 268 bhp engine (think they're 272 bhp now) and an auto. The 6 cylinder petrol BMW engine, as you probably know, is free revving and very smooth and has a lovely 'voice'. Totally different animal to the 335d as you'd expect. The 335d just surges forward and you're riding on that massive wave of torque, whereas the 330i is pretty quick but you don't get the 'kick in the back'. It's a much more linear power delivery. The 335d is the more relaxed way of driving out of the two but can still give that all important 'smile on the face'

If I'm honest, then yes, I do miss the torque of the big 'D' and it would take something particulalry different to take me away from the 335d. The M3 immediately springs to mind, but having had 3 long test drives in the Cayman, I was convinced. The Porsche is a very involving car to drive and very rewarding. It is definately built with the driver and driving in mind.

So Phil, you now have to imagine driving through to Germany to see your friends. The sun is shining, the scenery is stunning and your ear is tuned to a smooth BMW 6 cylinder petrol engine..........decision time?

Last edited by beemerbird; 05-14-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Appreciate 0