E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Spacers



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-13-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
MB E60
New Member
MB E60's Avatar
0
Rep
15
Posts

 
Drives: E60 530i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Adelaide, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Spacers

Hi,

Can any one here recommend some where i can buy H&R spacers?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 04:23 AM   #2
astra
Brigadier General
astra's Avatar
Australia
48
Rep
3,748
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to astra
I know TCCA in Artarmon sells them here in Sydney, I am sure they would ship you out some, but I can't help you with a local Adelaide shop...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
VGR00
Major
VGR00's Avatar
Australia
22
Rep
1,495
Posts

 
Drives: 125I Edition Sport Carbon Blk
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brisbane - Australia

iTrader: (1)

Can anyone confirm if spacers are illegal??? I've heard they are and if thats the case, surely not worth the risk.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
astra
Brigadier General
astra's Avatar
Australia
48
Rep
3,748
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to astra
yes they are illegal, but think about it, it's not really something that a cop is going to stop you for and check...... I know people with them, and they have never had any issues
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
OZ!MSport
-----------------~
OZ!MSport's Avatar
Australia
2
Rep
147
Posts

 
Drives: AW e92 335 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

IMO cops aren't really the issue - i'd be concerned if I had an accident and the insurance co. found the spacers - VOID!
__________________
- Sig under construction -
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
VGR00
Major
VGR00's Avatar
Australia
22
Rep
1,495
Posts

 
Drives: 125I Edition Sport Carbon Blk
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brisbane - Australia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ!MSport View Post
IMO cops aren't really the issue - i'd be concerned if I had an accident and the insurance co. found the spacers - VOID!
Exactly what I was thinking. You might be involved in an accident where your car needs to towed to a holding yard and you have no access to take them off before insurance assesment.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
lecatrache
Five Star General
lecatrache's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
775
Posts

 
Drives: 330i Black Sph PP/SP/NV/MTk
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Are they illegal in the US too? anybody?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #8
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
16
Rep
1,398
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325CI MY04 //M Clubsport
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to BMW //MPOWER
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecatrache View Post
Are they illegal in the US too? anybody?
This is the Australia forum, i suggest you ask on one of the US ones.
__________________

BMW 325Ci MY2004 Individual //M Clubsport Edition, //M Clubsport package, //M Sport 18"s, Manual //M Short Shift, Carbon Black, Black Aluminium Cube Interior.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 10:28 PM   #9
lecatrache
Five Star General
lecatrache's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
775
Posts

 
Drives: 330i Black Sph PP/SP/NV/MTk
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
This is the Australia forum, i suggest you ask on one of the US ones.

Sorry to disturb you and dare to read your post, mate.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 10:50 PM   #10
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
16
Rep
1,398
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325CI MY04 //M Clubsport
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to BMW //MPOWER
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecatrache View Post
Sorry to disturb you and dare to read your post, mate.
Well seriously, how on early do you expect anyone in this thread from AUS to have any idea if it is illegal in the US???
__________________

BMW 325Ci MY2004 Individual //M Clubsport Edition, //M Clubsport package, //M Sport 18"s, Manual //M Short Shift, Carbon Black, Black Aluminium Cube Interior.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 12:00 AM   #11
MB E60
New Member
MB E60's Avatar
0
Rep
15
Posts

 
Drives: E60 530i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Adelaide, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I know TCCA in Artarmon sells them here in Sydney, I am sure they would ship you out some, but I can't help you with a local Adelaide shop...
Thanks but what is TCCA, is that an acronym for something?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 12:18 AM   #12
MB E60
New Member
MB E60's Avatar
0
Rep
15
Posts

 
Drives: E60 530i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Adelaide, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ!MSport View Post
IMO cops aren't really the issue - i'd be concerned if I had an accident and the insurance co. found the spacers - VOID!
I thought the insurance company would have to prove that the spacers (or anything else for that matter) in some way contributed to the accident to VOID an insurance policy???
My car has 35% tint on the front windows as does 70% of the cars driving on the road in SA however you are not meant to have anything more than 75% (basically clear) on the front windows. By that rational an insurnace company could avoid pay outs of any accidnet due to this? Every car i have owned has had a tinit and i have had a few accident in my time and this has never been mentioned nor have i ever heard of anyone experiencing this?

Any insurance dudes out ther that can clear this up for us???

PS i havn't heard of an insurance assesor taking the wheels of a car off to assess it's damage, we are talking about the guys who walk up to the car take one look at it and walk away aren't we
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 05:26 AM   #13
astra
Brigadier General
astra's Avatar
Australia
48
Rep
3,748
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to astra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB E60 View Post
Thanks but what is TCCA, is that an acronym for something?
Full name is TCCA Motorsport... Here is their page
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 05:53 AM   #14
dimisa1977
Major
dimisa1977's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,141
Posts

 
Drives: BMW Specialist (exhaust)
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
yes they are illegal, but think about it, it's not really something that a cop is going to stop you for and check...... I know people with them, and they have never had any issues
illegal where?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 07:10 AM   #15
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
16
Rep
1,398
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325CI MY04 //M Clubsport
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to BMW //MPOWER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimisa1977 View Post
illegal where?
In Australia.
__________________

BMW 325Ci MY2004 Individual //M Clubsport Edition, //M Clubsport package, //M Sport 18"s, Manual //M Short Shift, Carbon Black, Black Aluminium Cube Interior.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #16
VGR00
Major
VGR00's Avatar
Australia
22
Rep
1,495
Posts

 
Drives: 125I Edition Sport Carbon Blk
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brisbane - Australia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB E60 View Post


I thought the insurance company would have to prove that the spacers (or anything else for that matter) in some way contributed to the accident to VOID an insurance policy???
My car has 35% tint on the front windows as does 70% of the cars driving on the road in SA however you are not meant to have anything more than 75% (basically clear) on the front windows. By that rational an insurnace company could avoid pay outs of any accidnet due to this? Every car i have owned has had a tinit and i have had a few accident in my time and this has never been mentioned nor have i ever heard of anyone experiencing this?

Any insurance dudes out ther that can clear this up for us???

PS i havn't heard of an insurance assesor taking the wheels of a car off to assess it's damage, we are talking about the guys who walk up to the car take one look at it and walk away aren't we
Window tint is not someting that insurance companies worry about. Spacers could poise a mechanical issue as the wheel is no longer directly sitting on the hub and you have introduced an unproven variable to the car design. If you were involved in a small accident then I would doubt that the insurance assessors will be too concerned however if the accident is major or involved the loss of a human life, the car is taken to a holding yard were police investigate every inch of the car. I saw the report they did on my sons Lancer tat was written off last year and every modification was listed. Just remember it is your obligation to disclose everything to the insurrance company. They are insuring you in good faith that you are telling them the truth. They can (and will) revoke your policy in the event of an accident were they discover you did not disclose something. This can also include speeding fines. My brother was paying premiums to AAMI for 5 years with no accidents and then he had a single vehicle accident and when they looked into him, they noted the fines he had received (even though he never lost his licence) and cancelled his policy. Their only obligation was to pay back the premiums he had paid the last 5 years. I recall the value to repair te car was $4200 and the premiums he had paid was about $3900 so they elected to go with the cheaper option.

So what i'm saying in this post is that Insurance comapnies job is to minimise the payout and will look for anything that will minimise or elliminate their obligation. So you need to ask yourself .... Are spacers that important. You can leagally increase the track width by 1" (measured between the center of wheels) and this is easily acheived by a set of wheels if you do your homework on size and offsets.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 11:52 PM   #17
MB E60
New Member
MB E60's Avatar
0
Rep
15
Posts

 
Drives: E60 530i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Adelaide, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Full name is TCCA Motorsport... Here is their page
THANKYOU!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 12:00 AM   #18
MB E60
New Member
MB E60's Avatar
0
Rep
15
Posts

 
Drives: E60 530i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Adelaide, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
Window tint is not someting that insurance companies worry about. Spacers could poise a mechanical issue as the wheel is no longer directly sitting on the hub and you have introduced an unproven variable to the car design. If you were involved in a small accident then I would doubt that the insurance assessors will be too concerned however if the accident is major or involved the loss of a human life, the car is taken to a holding yard were police investigate every inch of the car. I saw the report they did on my sons Lancer tat was written off last year and every modification was listed. Just remember it is your obligation to disclose everything to the insurrance company. They are insuring you in good faith that you are telling them the truth. They can (and will) revoke your policy in the event of an accident were they discover you did not disclose something. This can also include speeding fines. My brother was paying premiums to AAMI for 5 years with no accidents and then he had a single vehicle accident and when they looked into him, they noted the fines he had received (even though he never lost his licence) and cancelled his policy. Their only obligation was to pay back the premiums he had paid the last 5 years. I recall the value to repair te car was $4200 and the premiums he had paid was about $3900 so they elected to go with the cheaper option.

So what i'm saying in this post is that Insurance comapnies job is to minimise the payout and will look for anything that will minimise or elliminate their obligation. So you need to ask yourself .... Are spacers that important. You can leagally increase the track width by 1" (measured between the center of wheels) and this is easily acheived by a set of wheels if you do your homework on size and offsets.
Great explanation thankyou for taking the time to pen it for me, you have scared me into submission . I have just bought a set M172 19 inch staggered rims and i wanted 12mm's for the rear to get them flush with the fenders, never mind life goes on.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #19
BBQWER
Banned
3
Rep
219
Posts

 
Drives: E93 325i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia, Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to BBQWER Send a message via Skype™ to BBQWER
What is a Spacers?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #20
VGR00
Major
VGR00's Avatar
Australia
22
Rep
1,495
Posts

 
Drives: 125I Edition Sport Carbon Blk
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brisbane - Australia

iTrader: (1)

Spacers are a metal disk avalable in various thickness and they slot between your wheels and the disc hub thereby bringing your wheels further out to meet the fenders of the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 12:13 AM   #21
amberzombie
Lieutenant
amberzombie's Avatar
Australia
8
Rep
492
Posts

 
Drives: 118i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E90 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecatrache View Post
Sorry to disturb you and dare to read your post, mate.
I know we aren't Pommies here, but right here is a true git
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 02:03 AM   #22
astra
Brigadier General
astra's Avatar
Australia
48
Rep
3,748
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to astra
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberzombie View Post
I know we aren't Pommies here, but right here is a true git
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST