E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Nexus 7 Infotainment Setup

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Nexus 7 Infotainment Setup
dmikhael619
Published by dmikhael619
02-20-2015
Nexus 7 Infotainment Setup

This is my media / infotainment setup that I have put together for my e92. I originally planned a non-IDrive to IDrive swap but the complexity of removing my dash (and the possibility of rattles), as well as the cost put me off of it since whatever in dash nav would eventually become outdated whereas the Nexus is always updated and easily replaced. SO here are the reasons for why I did what I did and how.

HARDWARE:

I decided on a 2013 Nexus 7 since i could get a great deal on it and I wanted a black matte tablet since that would match the dashboard best and I decided that a 7 inch tablet was best.

I knew that there is no way i was relocating the stereo one because of the complexity and second was because all of the new BMW's have a tablet looking thing on the dash permanently fixed so I tried my best to replicate the look with what was readily available

I started with a kuda mount since it was the best looking one to me and it matched the dash and kept it in a good position for pushing things on the screen. I also used a proclip adapter screwed onto the kuda and double sided tape so that the Nexus would be easily removed for different reasons (bad neighborhoods / plugging into computer) so it slides on and off the Nexus easily.

I decided to to use an external USB DAC for better sound quality as well as I can have the Nexus charging and providing digital sound out of one cable since I wanted as few exposed wires as possible

SOFTWARE:
This bit is a little more complicated sorry if my directions aren't super clear I can answer any questions, so ask away . On the Nexus 7 i used nova launcher because i can edit how many apps that i can put on one page on the homescreen, and I installed timurs kernel which unlocks many new things for the Nexus such as the ability to use USB DAC and host charging which allows the Nexus to charge and provide USB on the go at the same time. Timurs kernel also turns the Nexus on when power is supplied and turns it off when power is removed as well as playing a preset BMW connecteddrive animation that I found on the internet. Timurs kernel also puts the Nexus in deep sleep when power is disconnected so that the Nexus uses no virtually no power in standby also notifications can't wake up the screen while parked. (screaming: hey come steal me i'm an expensive easily removed tablet.) After that you can use the app beautiful widgets to make clear shortcuts on your homescreen that pertain to your background, I Found my background online and I can share it with you if you would like, and you just have to put clear widgets on top of the lockscreen linking you to the app you want.

SETUP:

All you have to do after installing the kuda mount with the proclip adapter attached to it and the nexus is lift the main center wood panel off of the dash and route the 6 foot micro USB extension cable down past and around the right ac vent and if you look with the glove box open you can see the light and route the wire through there and once in the glovebox you can bring it down out the bottom, and tuck it under the black center console plastic next to the passenger's leg, and remove the center wood piece and route it up and through the bottom of the hole that is under the center console rubber cover. In the center console, i have the USB DAC in there as well as the aux cord coming off of that and into the factory aux in and the power is supplied by the power adapter with 2 plugs free for other devices. I then tucked all of the wires into the cupholder since i never use it anyways lol.

COST:

1x 2013 Nexus 7 (refurbished) $159.00
1x proclip 2 piece adapter $14.99
1x kuda dash mount (cheaper imported from Germany) $59.99
1x amazon generic USB DAC 32.00
1x 6 foot micro USB extension cord with 90 end $3.99
1x USB OTG with power cable $4.99
1x 6.6 amp 3 USB cigarette lighter adapter $14.99
1x 2 in micro USB free
TOTAL: $291

If you took the time to read up to here, I really appreciate that, and sorry for any grammar or spelling mistake that i might have made lol im still in high school with plenty of learning left to do.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Tutorial Tools
By narstune on 02-20-2015, 02:26 AM
That's a really clean setup! Great job!
By tke344 on 02-20-2015, 03:16 PM
Really nicely done, I wanted to do basically the same thing but my car has iDrive so there isnt a great place to mount everything. I'd take a well integrated tablet any day over an aging iDrive. Eventually I'll use an old Android phone mounted to the left of the steering wheel for software gauges and Pandora streaming.
By chadrandom on 02-24-2015, 08:53 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Super interested to see the setup but the pics aren't visible on the post for some reason.
By BeastMode335i on 02-24-2015, 09:25 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
I did almost the same exact thing a few months ago with my Galaxy Tab 4 7" and a kuda mount.. I used the Kinivo BTC455 in the center console/armrest so I'm wireless as well.. I get compliments all the time..! Looks great man..

PS - which part # ProClip did you use?? I've used the garmin ball mount on mine and it is still relatively flat and connects great but I think the ProClip is a bit more sleek looking.. Would love to get one for my Tab 4..!
By chadrandom on 02-25-2015, 04:38 AM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrandom View Post
Super interested to see the setup but the pics aren't visible on the post for some reason.
looking at this on the desktop site now, and wow, very impressive.

it actually makes me wish i didn't have iDrive. i'd much rather interact with a Nex7 currently and have the flexibility to upgrade as tablet tech improves with time.

i've currently got a Nex 5 attached via the magnetic wireless charger that is mounted to a ProClip just to the left of the iDrive screen. i have the wireless charger cable routed under the center console trim, so it's pretty clean. but I have to say that your set up kinda makes me want to cover the iDrive screen with a Nex7. that might be a more functional solution, yet would probably end up distinctively not-elegant, considering the iDrive controller on the center console would be rendered obsolete...

anyway, nice work. if you want to geek out even harder on it, i believe there are YouTube videos showing how to get the Nex7 to hold strong enough magnetically to the Nexus wireless charger. in that case, you could rid yourself of the cable coming out of the Nex7, and make the tablet easily detachable for theft prevention and convenience.
Last edited by chadrandom; 02-25-2015 at 04:41 AM. Reason: edited for typos
By BeastMode335i on 02-25-2015, 07:03 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
What clip # did you use?

Thanks!
By jonas on 02-25-2015, 11:09 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Very cool DIY. Reminds me of when I put a Nexus 7 in my truck. The 02 F250 needed an interior face lift! Yours is very cool. I would recommend using Spotify for music, since you can sync the playlist for offline use, and it's only $7 a month to store over 5,000 songs! Here's what my setup looks like in the truck. Sorry I don't have more detailed pictures, I'm not with my truck right now! There's also an offline map app that I use, but I can't remember the name at this time! I'm sure you can find it though!!

By dmikhael619 on 02-25-2015, 11:42 PM
Member reviews
100%100%100%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
80%80%80%
100%100%100%
Average 93%
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
I did almost the same exact thing a few months ago with my Galaxy Tab 4 7" and a kuda mount.. I used the Kinivo BTC455 in the center console/armrest so I'm wireless as well.. I get compliments all the time..! Looks great man..

PS - which part # ProClip did you use?? I've used the garmin ball mount on mine and it is still relatively flat and connects great but I think the ProClip is a bit more sleek looking.. Would love to get one for my Tab 4..!
Its Pro clip part number 215053 its called a device mounting adapter i had to drill tiny holes into the kuda mount so that the screws wouldn't crack the fiberglass Its a great solution the Nexus doesn't budge when the car is moving even on rough surfaces and pushing hard on the screen.
By dmikhael619 on 02-25-2015, 11:43 PM
Member reviews
100%100%100%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
80%80%80%
100%100%100%
Average 93%
Quote:
What clip # did you use?

Thanks!
its pro clip part number 215053
By dmikhael619 on 02-25-2015, 11:46 PM
Member reviews
100%100%100%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
80%80%80%
100%100%100%
Average 93%
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrandom View Post
looking at this on the desktop site now, and wow, very impressive.

it actually makes me wish i didn't have iDrive. i'd much rather interact with a Nex7 currently and have the flexibility to upgrade as tablet tech improves with time.

i've currently got a Nex 5 attached via the magnetic wireless charger that is mounted to a ProClip just to the left of the iDrive screen. i have the wireless charger cable routed under the center console trim, so it's pretty clean. but I have to say that your set up kinda makes me want to cover the iDrive screen with a Nex7. that might be a more functional solution, yet would probably end up distinctively not-elegant, considering the iDrive controller on the center console would be rendered obsolete...

anyway, nice work. if you want to geek out even harder on it, i believe there are YouTube videos showing how to get the Nex7 to hold strong enough magnetically to the Nexus wireless charger. in that case, you could rid yourself of the cable coming out of the Nex7, and make the tablet easily detachable for theft prevention and convenience.
Thanks for the idea i was originally going to do that, but I didn't want to have the nexus music streaming over Bluetooth because of the loss in sound quality so I have both sound and power coming out of that cable and going into a USB dac for even better sound quality It really helps if you have logic 7 you can here a difference
By dmikhael619 on 02-25-2015, 11:52 PM
Member reviews
100%100%100%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
80%80%80%
100%100%100%
Average 93%
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas View Post
Very cool DIY. Reminds me of when I put a Nexus 7 in my truck. The 02 F250 needed an interior face lift! Yours is very cool. I would recommend using Spotify for music, since you can sync the playlist for offline use, and it's only $7 a month to store over 5,000 songs! Here's what my setup looks like in the truck. Sorry I don't have more detailed pictures, I'm not with my truck right now! There's also an offline map app that I use, but I can't remember the name at this time! I'm sure you can find it though!!

That looks super stealth and OEM I love it, I wish I could do something but the E9x's complexity and the look of our dash isn't just like a double din like most older cars. Thanks for the spotify idea but i have a cracked version of Pandora for android so I get unlimited skips and no ads for free and my phone is automated to turn on hot spot as soon as it connects to the cars Bluetooth phone and i never had a problem with it because my note 4 is rooted so i don't even pay for the hotspot and its unlimited, but I am looking to put something in my sisters e46 and she has an iphone so i just might have to take up your idea for her. Thanks
By BeastMode335i on 02-26-2015, 08:17 AM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikhael619 View Post
Its Pro clip part number 215053 its called a device mounting adapter i had to drill tiny holes into the kuda mount so that the screws wouldn't crack the fiberglass Its a great solution the Nexus doesn't budge when the car is moving even on rough surfaces and pushing hard on the screen.
Awesome, thank you... Also, how did you mount that ProClip to your nexus? I saw some of the mounts on their site, but they all seem to be the swivel kind and stick out some, and yours looks to be flush with that clip attachment?

Thanks!
By dmikhael619 on 02-26-2015, 10:39 AM
Member reviews
100%100%100%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
80%80%80%
100%100%100%
Average 93%
Quote:
Awesome, thank you... Also, how did you mount that ProClip to your nexus? I saw some of the mounts on their site, but they all seem to be the swivel kind and stick out some, and yours looks to be flush with that clip attachment?

Thanks!
Yea i wanted it is flush as possible so i used 3m double sided tape.
By BeastMode335i on 02-26-2015, 12:35 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikhael619 View Post
Yea i wanted it is flush as possible so i used 3m double sided tape.
So you just have those two little square brackets and some 3m tape to mount the Nexus? For the side thats supposed to screw into the mount for the Nexus you just have it double sided taped instead with no mounting case? And it's stable? I'd be nervous that the Florida heat would melt the connection of the tape on the tablet lol..
By dmikhael619 on 02-26-2015, 12:41 PM
Member reviews
100%100%100%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
80%80%80%
100%100%100%
Average 93%
Quote:
So you just have those two little square brackets and some 3m tape to mount the Nexus? For the side thats supposed to screw into the mount for the Nexus you just have it double sided taped instead with no mounting case? And it's stable? I'd be nervous that the Florida heat would melt the connection of the tape on the tablet lol..
for one side of the bracket i actually drilled holes into the kuda and screwed it on to the mount with the screws that were provided with the proclip and i have the other side 3m double sided tape and it been on my car in the San Diego Heat for 6 months and I honestly fully trust it to last forever if used properly, I used the same tape to mount my CF high kick spoiler and its survived a year and 130 mph winds and dosent show a sign of moving it should be fine.
By BeastMode335i on 02-26-2015, 01:17 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Nice! Can you post some clips of the mount attached to the Nexus?
By jonas on 02-26-2015, 07:49 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
I'm very curious on your rooted note 4? Please tell me you have Verizon! To my knowledge there is no root for the Verizon version yet. Maybe you can correct me?
By dmikhael619 on 02-27-2015, 12:28 AM
Member reviews
100%100%100%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
80%80%80%
100%100%100%
Average 93%
Quote:
Nice! Can you post some clips of the mount attached to the Nexus?
no problem its really on there good
By dmikhael619 on 02-27-2015, 12:33 AM
Member reviews
100%100%100%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
80%80%80%
100%100%100%
Average 93%
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas View Post
I'm very curious on your rooted note 4? Please tell me you have Verizon! To my knowledge there is no root for the Verizon version yet. Maybe you can correct me?
Unfortunately i have the sprint Variant which doesn't require unlocking the boot-loader, but the Verizon one should hopefully be underway soon, just for the record don't you get free WiFi hotspot anyways since Verizon's data is limited?
By BeastMode335i on 02-27-2015, 08:38 AM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Cool thanks brother, I just ordered the clip/mount and will post pics up when I get it all setup.. I like how this is gonna recess the tablet about 2" and I will be able to see my hazard lights button again haha..!
By smithf32 on 02-27-2015, 09:09 AM
I did an iPad mini, got super tired of it, decided to just retrofit CIC navigation.
Comment