E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > 335i - change spark plugs after 16000 miles



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #67
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
3610
Rep
20,195
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Can you elaborate?

I used a short 4 inch 1/2" ratchet drive extension - as a leverage pin. I simply inserted the 1/2" ext into the coil pack's "pull tab" (that unclicps upwards) and pulled on the metal 1/2" ext and not the plastic coil "pull tab". This gives you extra leverage(I feel) and you can better "wiggle" the coil packs out of their spark plug holes.

I had read where some people(& even some shops) broke coil packs when they tried to remove them. I took extra care not to pull "too hard" on the coil packs.

I hope my added pics help show you what I am trying to describe.


Dackel


cylinder #1 - coil pack electrical connection disconnected and pull tab - moved up...
Name:  IMG_8178.jpg
Views: 3801
Size:  234.4 KB

1/2" ratchet extension inserted inside coil pack "pull tab"...
Name:  IMG_8180.jpg
Views: 3144
Size:  122.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8184.jpg
Views: 3422
Size:  210.3 KB

coil packs close up...
Name:  IMG_8230.jpg
Views: 2977
Size:  128.0 KB

Name:  IMG_8233.jpg
Views: 2899
Size:  141.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #68
Lotus99
Colonel
Lotus99's Avatar
Canada
75
Rep
2,136
Posts

Drives: 08 E93 335i & 14 X3 35
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (1)

Perfect, thx!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #69
dArNeLLi
Lieutenant
dArNeLLi's Avatar
29
Rep
579
Posts

Drives: 335i on ED, pickup 10/6
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (2)

so i got the new spark plug in, but i can't get my driver socket out with the 23Nm torque, anyone have this problem? anyone have advice?

nm, just super duct taped my extension to the socket, worked nicely

Last edited by dArNeLLi; 02-20-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #70
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
3610
Rep
20,195
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dArNeLLi View Post
so i got the new spark plug in, but i can't get my driver bit out with the 23Nm torque, anyone have this problem? anyone have advice?

So... the spark plug socket comes off your ratchet extension? IF that is teh case, just put some thick wheel bearing grease on the end of your ratchet ext and your plug socket. I know it sounds wierd but the grease will add just a little bit more thickness to your socket/ratchet - and it will not come off. You could also use some electrican or duct tape as well.

Once the spark plug is torqued down to 23Nm, if your socket still comes off... try reversing direction. Not to unscrew the plug but just enough to let your socket disengage.

Basically this is a problem with poor/cheaply made tools. High quality tools have a better fit/tighter fit.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #71
dArNeLLi
Lieutenant
dArNeLLi's Avatar
29
Rep
579
Posts

Drives: 335i on ED, pickup 10/6
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
So... the spark plug socket comes off your ratchet extension? IF that is teh case, just put some thick wheel bearing grease on the end of your ratchet ext and your plug socket. I know it sounds wierd but the grease will add just a little bit more thickness to your socket/ratchet - and it will not come off. You could also use some electrican or duct tape as well.

Once the spark plug is torqued down to 23Nm, if your socket still comes off... try reversing direction. Not to unscrew the plug but just enough to let your socket disengage.

Basically this is a problem with poor/cheaply made tools. High quality tools have a better fit/tighter fit.
yea, this is just a husky set from home depot, the duct tape worked great, thanks for the quick response
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #72
dArNeLLi
Lieutenant
dArNeLLi's Avatar
29
Rep
579
Posts

Drives: 335i on ED, pickup 10/6
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (2)

another quick question, working with my garage door open and a wind gust just blew in and rolled a coil pack off the table, is it still functional?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #73
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
3610
Rep
20,195
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dArNeLLi View Post
another quick question, working with my garage door open and a wind gust just blew in and rolled a coil pack off the table, is it still functional?

Should be - they are tough. But if your engine starts missing on one cylinder... you will know why.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #74
kevinsgill
Registered
kevinsgill's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 2005 BMW M3 Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Awesome post... thank you... thank you.... thank you.
__________________
ksg≠hke∂
"What does not kill me, only makes me stronger."
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #75
EvanL
Private
United_States
5
Rep
56
Posts

Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Madison, WI

iTrader: (1)

Thanks for the write-up. Changed my spark plugs this afternoon and it was a snap.

-Evan
__________________
335i Coupe - Space Grey/Coral Red
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 04:17 AM   #76
chrisdack
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 335
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Found this and bought it. Other threads poo poo'd the 8mm but I think there's an internal and external ..also noteworthythat their non thin wall items list both 14mm and 8mm dimensions. Will let you know

Chris

h t t p://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=374&item=3830

H t t p://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003AMVZ72/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=cm_cr_pr_product_top
__________________
e92 335i M-Sport Le Mans Blue 193 8/8.5Jx18
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #77
chrisdack
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 335
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdack View Post
Found this and bought it. Other threads poo poo'd the 8mm but I think there's an internal and external ..also noteworthythat their non thin wall items list both 14mm and 8mm dimensions. Will let you know

Chris

h t t p://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=374&item=3830

H t t p://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003AMVZ72/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Fits! (unless my plugs are wrong that is) Spring is a bit tight, but some wd40 will take care of that.
__________________
e92 335i M-Sport Le Mans Blue 193 8/8.5Jx18
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 01:48 AM   #78
vxc11
Banned
Canada
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: Gti MKV Manual
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: vancouver CA

iTrader: (0)

NIce!! THX!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #79
Frosty
Lieutenant Colonel
Frosty's Avatar
33
Rep
1,940
Posts

Drives: Ordered my E92 (7/10/06)
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (0)

whats everyone's opinion on using copper-based conductive anti-seize compound on the plug threads?

I'm getting stuff together to do a plug replacement....

~Frost
__________________
.................................................. ....................
335i Coupe (6MT) (2007: 9/06 build, pre ordered, only owner): Space Grey / Black Leatherette / Grey Poplar trim / ZCW / ZSP / BMW assist w/ bluetooth / power rear shade / navi with iDrive / comfort access keyless entry /+homelink mirror/ 206,000+miles (JUN-20-2015)
.................................................. ......................
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #80
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
3610
Rep
20,195
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
whats everyone's opinion on using copper-based conductive anti-seize compound on the plug threads?

I'm getting stuff together to do a plug replacement....

~Frost

I was told by two BMW (German) techs NOT to use any anti-seize on the spark plug threads. They said it could mess with DME. I installed my plugs with no anti-seize.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #81
Frosty
Lieutenant Colonel
Frosty's Avatar
33
Rep
1,940
Posts

Drives: Ordered my E92 (7/10/06)
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I was told by two BMW (German) techs NOT to use any anti-seize on the spark plug threads. They said it could mess with DME. I installed my plugs with no anti-seize.
Thanks Dackelone.... MUCH appreciated, surprisingly the Bently manual says to use copper anti-seize but I felt strange about it, albeit a conductive lube

~Frost
__________________
.................................................. ....................
335i Coupe (6MT) (2007: 9/06 build, pre ordered, only owner): Space Grey / Black Leatherette / Grey Poplar trim / ZCW / ZSP / BMW assist w/ bluetooth / power rear shade / navi with iDrive / comfort access keyless entry /+homelink mirror/ 206,000+miles (JUN-20-2015)
.................................................. ......................
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #82
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
3610
Rep
20,195
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

I just saw this video that Cobb made to show you how to change out a bad coil or bad spark plug. I think watching this video will be a big help to anyone changing their spark plugs.



Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #83
eduardomi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
14
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: 535i M-Sport AW
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SocaL

iTrader: (2)

How do you know when to replace the spark plugs??? Misfires?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #84
Didac
Second Lieutenant
Didac's Avatar
2
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

I'm thinking in getting mines done, any one has an idea what brand to use ???
Or just go oem?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 01:28 AM   #85
RajSingh_F10
New Member
RajSingh_F10's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
i was just changing my sparkplugs & as i pulled the coil from the 2nd spark plug gently and slowly the Coil broke inside and only half of the coil came out! what do i do now??
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #86
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
3610
Rep
20,195
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajSinghE92 View Post
i was just changing my sparkplugs & as i pulled the coil from the 2nd spark plug gently and slowly the Coil broke inside and only half of the coil came out! what do i do now??
It happens. I would use some LONG needle nose pliers and try to pull the coil guts out. Maybe you could use a large screw to drill into the coil guts and then pull on that. Either way your gonna need a new coil - but you know that. Maybe also spray some WD40 down the sides of the coil pack to (lube it) help in the extraction.

G.L.
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #87
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
3610
Rep
20,195
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardomi View Post
How do you know when to replace the spark plugs??? Misfires?

Yes. Or every 45K miles - which ever occurs first. Every 20K if you have a tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #88
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
3610
Rep
20,195
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didac View Post
I'm thinking in getting mines done, any one has an idea what brand to use ???
Or just go oem?

I would stick with BMW/Bosch plugs. I had read some posts saying some people got misfires with aftermarket Bosch ones. I did not want to take a chance and bought mine from a BMW Zentrum over here.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:36 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST