E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Coolent Flush DIY for 2006 325i



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
BMW2Hart
Sparkling Graphite Metallic
BMW2Hart's Avatar
5
Rep
109
Posts

 
Drives: '06 E90 325i, Sport, Type 161
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Georgia, USA

iTrader: (0)

Coolent Flush DIY for 2006 325i

Just passed 50K miles and want to flush the system myself. Anyone out

there performed such a task yet? If so, please pass along info.

Thanks...

__________________
Prod Date: 6-01-05 | N52 | E90 | 325i | Sparkling Graphite | ZSP | Burl Walnut Interior Trim | STEPTRONIC Trans | Type 161 | Dual Power Adjusters

Mods - Tint: 30% All Around HP Charcoal Solar Gard | Chrome Tips | afe Air Filter
| Bridgestone Potenza RE 760 Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
volkswackin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
19
Rep
1,914
Posts

 
Drives: too broke for a BMW
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: i get around..

iTrader: (1)

pretty difficult..the fact that you have an electric waterpump which is what is used to bleed the system..however...there is a way to get the waterpump to go into bleeding sequence i just forget it off hand...we always just use the gt1..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
voltron1011
Colonel
voltron1011's Avatar
44
Rep
2,912
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wiesbaden

iTrader: (2)

Instructions for venting cooling system:
1. Switch ignition ON (without starting engine)
2. Set heater to maximum temperature and turn fan down to lowest speed.
3. Press accelerator pedal for 10 seconds to floor. Engine MUST NOT be started!
4. The venting procedure is started when the accelerator pedal is pressed and takes approx. 12 minutes (electric pump was activated and shuts down automatically after 12 minutes).
5 Then top up fill level in coolant expancsion tank with 100ml above MAX line.
__________________
'06 E90 325i (Delivered May '05) 6-spd manual, Nav, Xenons, 18' 162's, sport-suspension, 15mm RE spacers,
NURBURGRING:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3270
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
applebimmer
Private First Class
applebimmer's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
115
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: St Louis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron1011 View Post
Instructions for venting cooling system:
1. Switch ignition ON (without starting engine)
2. Set heater to maximum temperature and turn fan down to lowest speed.
3. Press accelerator pedal for 10 seconds to floor. Engine MUST NOT be started!
4. The venting procedure is started when the accelerator pedal is pressed and takes approx. 12 minutes (electric pump was activated and shuts down automatically after 12 minutes).
5 Then top up fill level in coolant expancsion tank with 100ml above MAX line.
good start, but it seems that a few steps my be missing in your example, go deeper in your discussion!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
voltron1011
Colonel
voltron1011's Avatar
44
Rep
2,912
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wiesbaden

iTrader: (2)

I pulled that info off of the BMW CIS dvd... I haven't actually done it myself (yet)...
__________________
'06 E90 325i (Delivered May '05) 6-spd manual, Nav, Xenons, 18' 162's, sport-suspension, 15mm RE spacers,
NURBURGRING:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3270
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
txusa03
Major General
118
Rep
6,567
Posts

 
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Planet Earth

iTrader: (2)

I dont understand what step 4 means by the word venting? In all 5 steps, where is the step for draining the existing coolant fluid and where is the drain plug?

In other word, step 5 says to top off with new coolant but where is the step to drain the old coolant?
__________________
under construction!

Last edited by txusa03; 08-15-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 07:48 AM   #7
FrankoQ
Deny everything
FrankoQ's Avatar
United_States
134
Rep
11,293
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Laurel, MD

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to FrankoQ
subscribed.
__________________

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 01:05 AM   #8
voltron1011
Colonel
voltron1011's Avatar
44
Rep
2,912
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wiesbaden

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
but where is the step to drain the old coolant?
This is procedure assumes that the coolant has already been completely drained from the car..

I believe the only thing you need to do is:
1. Drain coolant from radiator drain valve.
2. close drain valve, and fill up the radiator up with a 50/50 mixture.
3. close radiator cap, and perform venting process (mentioned above) to ensure that the system is completely full.
I'm guessing the venting procedure is mainly for circulating coolant to the other parts of the engine, and topping off the expansion tank as the level goes down?
__________________
'06 E90 325i (Delivered May '05) 6-spd manual, Nav, Xenons, 18' 162's, sport-suspension, 15mm RE spacers,
NURBURGRING:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3270
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
npolite
Private
0
Rep
72
Posts

 
Drives: Acura Integra
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Drexel Hill, PA

iTrader: (0)

Please forgive my inexperience with the BMW design but couldn't you just start the engine with the heater on high and leave the radiator cap off until all of the air has been purged from the system? I usually just do a drain in fill on most of my other cars. Yes it doesn't get everything in the engine block but I just do it again a few weeks down the road.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 08:25 PM   #10
voltron1011
Colonel
voltron1011's Avatar
44
Rep
2,912
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wiesbaden

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by npolite View Post
Please forgive my inexperience with the BMW design but couldn't you just start the engine with the heater on high and leave the radiator cap off until all of the air has been purged from the system? I usually just do a drain in fill on most of my other cars. Yes it doesn't get everything in the engine block but I just do it again a few weeks down the road.
I think the problem with that is that the system is completely hot and pressurized at that point, so you wouldn't be able to add coolant without steam shooting everywhere... Remember, that these systems work under extreme pressure.
With BMW's version, the engine never starts, but everything in the cooling system still opens up (heater core, thermostat, etc) and the waterpump is running... Thus, you can add coolant to the expansion tank safely.
__________________
'06 E90 325i (Delivered May '05) 6-spd manual, Nav, Xenons, 18' 162's, sport-suspension, 15mm RE spacers,
NURBURGRING:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3270
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 07:41 AM   #11
npolite
Private
0
Rep
72
Posts

 
Drives: Acura Integra
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Drexel Hill, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron1011 View Post
I think the problem with that is that the system is completely hot and pressurized at that point, so you wouldn't be able to add coolant without steam shooting everywhere... Remember, that these systems work under extreme pressure.
With BMW's version, the engine never starts, but everything in the cooling system still opens up (heater core, thermostat, etc) and the waterpump is running... Thus, you can add coolant to the expansion tank safely.
I can't comment on the BMW cooling system but as far as with the few Honda's I have owned (they don't have expansion tanks) the procedure that I have mentioned has worked for years without any problems. Maybe I leave it on to the point where the car warms up enough and any air exits from the reservoir?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST