E90Post

Evolve Automotive

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > e90 window tint

03-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
CWysong
tuned n dropped 335xi

Drives: '09 335i Xdrive e90

e90 window tint

I called my local bmw dealership and they said they get all their cars (2 a day) done at the zeibart right next to them. I called them and asked them about the moleskin alot of e90 drivers say is necessary. They said they never use it, don't install it and think I'm crazy for asking about it.

Is this something that is recommended, or necessary? I have heard about e90s scratching tint immediately without moleskin. Should I call someone else, try and install it myself or not worry so much and do it?
      03-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
flexbrah
hehe ty men

Drives: :|

I've had my tint on for 2 years now without a single scratch
      03-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers

Drives: 2009 e90 2011 f10

totally necessary. mine is all scratched. i would recommend just installing it yourself ahead of time and then getting it tinted. im redoing my tint in the spring after i install it.

2009 MBM 328| ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 Jet Black 535i xdrive | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   United_States
      03-12-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
CWysong
tuned n dropped 335xi

where do you get it? how does one install it?
      03-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #5
flexbrah
hehe ty men

Drives: :|

Mine is llumar 15%ish tint, just paid $120 I think to have it done. No idea how there could be scratching unless it's a thicker film.
      03-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #6
orlandomma
@orlandomma

Drives: 2011 335i

I've had my tint for only a few months and I just noticed scratches the other day .. I don't even really roll my windows down either
      03-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #7
CWysong
tuned n dropped 335xi

lots and more e90 owners say they get scratches too! Yet other say there is no problems. I think ill take the step to get the moleskin just in case, any ideas where?
      03-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #8
AggieATO
Private

Drives: 2007 BSM 335i Sedan

Moleskin is relatively cheap so if it makes it you feel better, get it.

I've been around the window tint industry for more than 20 years (Dad ran a tint business) and I've never seen any issues with the tint/scratches/felt, etc. IMO, it's a waste of money...but at least it's a small amount.
      03-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
fazman
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWysong View Post
I called my local bmw dealership and they said they get all their cars (2 a day) done at the zeibart right next to them. I called them and asked them about the moleskin alot of e90 drivers say is necessary. They said they never use it, don't install it and think I'm crazy for asking about it.

Is this something that is recommended, or necessary? I have heard about e90s scratching tint immediately without moleskin. Should I call someone else, try and install it myself or not worry so much and do it?
2008 335xi e90 over here, got Llumar CTX 20% installed and got scratches in the first week. Then i put in an order for moleskin here: http://www.tintprotector.com/bmw/

No more new scratches since!! It comes with the instructions on how to do it, i started with my driver side door doing it carefully and it took me an hour to remove it. Once i learned the trick, the other doors took me about 5 minutes to do each!

At minimum, i would remove the weather strip and clean it in the sink with soft soap and warm water. Then dry with lint free cloth, use hand sanitizer to clean off any left over and will help the rubber too. At this point its ur call on wanting to install tint protector.

The other trick is, after the tint is installed, after the first window pulldown once dryed... You can remove the weather strips and see how it goes. No weather strips means nothing is touching the glass and no scratch. But it also means rain/snow can fall into it too.

If i were to do it again, i would get a Llumar formula1 pinnacle series which is warrantied by Llumar to not scratch. Get that installed for the windows that roll. The fixed windows can have the regular Llumar film.

Make sure that they give u a written warranty that there will be no issue with scratches if they r so confident! Also make sure u pay attention to the wording of the warranty. The manufacturer will provide free replacement film to the installer for warranty work, however, installers will be shady and say you gotta pay for the removal of the old film and install of the new film. The labor will cost more than the original install. So make sure in your written warranty from the installer that it is clearly stated they will cover the labor for the removal of old film and the re-install of new film as well.

I learned all of this the hard way and i have scratches which my installer said should not have happened and blamed me. Llumar will only warranty film for legal tints, so if ur state doesn't allow front windows to be tinted... Then u r assed out on that from Llumar, which is where your installer written warranty must be worded to include film, labor to remove and replace, for any tint related issues on the ENTIRE install he performed!!!

Also, i heard good things about Huper Optic and also great things about heat reduction when using ceramic tints (should not affect radio/gps/cell signals).

Final note, i also did a 35% tint on my sunroof, it makes a noticeable difference when the window is open and closed, the part where the sun hits my skin from when its open burns and the section from where its passing thru the tint is not burning. Blocking UV A/B FTW!!! Wish i could have done the clear tint for the entire windscreen just for UV A/B blocking... But they put reg stickers on windshields that get scraped off every 2 years <sigh>

-Faz

Last edited by fazman; 03-16-2014 at 08:52 AM.
fazman is offline   United_States