E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Aluminum Pedal install how-to



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
CC 330i's Avatar DIY: Aluminum Pedal install how-to
CC 330i
06-18-2005
Ok, I had a bit of a trial by fire, but I did learn a few things.

You will need a 5/32nds drill bit, preferably a cobalt one, since the brake pedal is steel. You will also need a 9/64ths (or even smaller) drill bit for the set screws used on the gas pedal and dead pedal. I also...
  #22  
By Chesmu on 01-07-2007, 01:59 PM
do it yourself....it's really not that hard. No need to pay ANYONE else.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
By brocken on 01-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the DIY. It was very helpful. I was worried about wires behind the dead pedal until I realized the self tapping screws wouldn't go in very far.
The only part that was difficult at all was the brake pedal. I definitely second the advice to get a good bit. I had some cheesy bits and it took me quite a while to drill through it.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
By 007e92 on 01-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoses
Get a titanium drill bit. They are gold in color, cost about $5. I drilled mine and they cut through the brake pedal like butter.
true that
Reply With Quote
  #25  
By wuufer001 on 02-10-2007, 04:06 AM
Have a set of Hamann pedals (same as sig) and been in my trunk for months now and still haven't put them on. Asked the SA at the dealer and he said it will cost me USD160 to fit them. Ain't that a 'little' to much!
Now decided to fit them myself but the only problem is that the pedals only came with 12 screws (sharp ended ones) and no nuts. So will it work without the nuts? cause i don't see how it will stay there without the nuts. Someone help. (I think it's a little unlogical to have something fit without nuts)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
By brocken on 02-10-2007, 11:38 AM
If they're self tapping screws they should work. All the pedals besides the brake are plastic. You would just need to drill a small pilot hole to get the screws started.
The brake pedal might be tough with a self tapping screw though.
Make sure you get a really good bit to drill the brake ped, something like titanium or carbide.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
By Chesmu on 02-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocken View Post
If they're self tapping screws they should work. All the pedals besides the brake are plastic. You would just need to drill a small pilot hole to get the screws started.
The brake pedal might be tough with a self tapping screw though.
Make sure you get a really good bit to drill the brake ped, something like titanium or carbide.
my titanium bit chewed thru the brake pedal like it was butter.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
By BenMW on 02-15-2007, 06:15 PM
So I ordered the pedals from morristown BMW and they came but there are no screws????

I dropped the box of at the local bmw dealership to install them and they said they need the screws?

I just assumed you had to get your own screws or something...

So anyone know how i can get the screws???
Reply With Quote
  #29  
By PocketRocket on 02-15-2007, 07:15 PM
WTF they should come with it,
Did you get OEMs?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
By wuufer001 on 02-17-2007, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMW View Post
So I ordered the pedals from morristown BMW and they came but there are no screws????

I dropped the box of at the local bmw dealership to install them and they said they need the screws?

I just assumed you had to get your own screws or something...

So anyone know how i can get the screws???
How much did they cost you to fit them?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
By wuufer001 on 02-17-2007, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocken View Post
If they're self tapping screws they should work. All the pedals besides the brake are plastic. You would just need to drill a small pilot hole to get the screws started.
The brake pedal might be tough with a self tapping screw though.
Make sure you get a really good bit to drill the brake ped, something like titanium or carbide.
I have seen some people screwing the alum pedals on top of the oem rubber ones, is that alright or wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
By BLUE LABEL on 02-23-2007, 04:58 AM
where can i get some sick looking alum pedals?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
By BenMW on 02-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMW View Post
So I ordered the pedals from morristown BMW and they came but there are no screws????

I dropped the box of at the local bmw dealership to install them and they said they need the screws?

I just assumed you had to get your own screws or something...

So anyone know how i can get the screws???
Dealership found the screws so morristown did ship them. So they are now installed dealership charged $110 for install

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuufer001 View Post
I have seen some people screwing the alum pedals on top of the oem rubber ones, is that alright or wrong?
They took off the clutch and brake pedal
Reply With Quote
  #34  
By shragon on 02-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuufer001 View Post
I have seen some people screwing the alum pedals on top of the oem rubber ones, is that alright or wrong?
you take off the rubber pieces on the brake and clutch. for the gas pedal, it's plastic itself, so you just put the pedal cover over it and screw it down.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
By jumpingjz on 06-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Great write up, got the titanium drill bit from Home Depot, and finished in 30 mins, beats the $190 installation fee that dealer quoted me

JZ
Reply With Quote
  #36  
By bartman32 on 06-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingjz View Post
Great write up, got the titanium drill bit from Home Depot, and finished in 30 mins, beats the $190 installation fee that dealer quoted me

JZ
WOW yourr dealer only wanted $190? Mine wanted $300! Of course I used this DIY. Nice write up and thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
By jumpingjz on 06-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman32 View Post
WOW yourr dealer only wanted $190? Mine wanted $300! Of course I used this DIY. Nice write up and thanks!
They quoted me that price because I had an appointment for a $100 oil change out of my own pocket, they would've quoted me more. But thanks to this write up, I've saved myself $190 for other mods.

Besides, there's nothing as satisfying as doing all the mods myself.

JZ
Reply With Quote
  #38  
By Franciebaby on 06-09-2007, 01:46 PM
I purchased mine from Morristown and just had a chance today to put them on. I just did not want to drill so I went to the local Ace Hardware and bought shorter screws for the gas and brake since the kit came with self tapping screws for the dead pedal. I just screwed the brake pedal over the rubber and it bit just fine and doesn't move. Now how long this will last, we will see. But, I figured the rubber piece over the brake pedal couldn't be that expensive to replace and it only took me about 10 minutes to complete all three pedals.
Yeah I am a girl and all of your are probably laughing at me right now.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
By fizzle on 07-20-2007, 12:53 PM
did anyone else's kit come with the warning to replace the rubber pads after a couple years abuse? is there a part number just for the pads or do you have to order the whole set again???
Reply With Quote
  #40  
By fizzle on 07-21-2007, 02:33 PM
ok i started today. gas and dead pedal are in; the brake pedal(yes people not breaks) is a killer. i used a regular bit but its taking forever and i most likely am going to get a cobalt bit. the dead pedal top is a pain too; how did you guys do that one?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
By bartman32 on 07-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzle View Post
ok i started today. gas and dead pedal are in; the brake pedal(yes people not breaks) is a killer. i used a regular bit but its taking forever and i most likely am going to get a cobalt bit. the dead pedal top is a pain too; how did you guys do that one?
The existing dead pedal is plastic. Just drill the holes first. Very easy! Just make sure the right side lines up rather than the left side. Dead pedal is a pain. Cobalt bit.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
By OC 335i on 07-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Bartman, can you install my pedals? My drill broke. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #43  
By fizzle on 07-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman32 View Post
The existing dead pedal is plastic. Just drill the holes first. Very easy! Just make sure the right side lines up rather than the left side. Dead pedal is a pain. Cobalt bit.
i said the brake pedal not the dead pedal. i got the dead pedal in fine.
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST