E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Aluminum Pedal install how-to

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
CC 330i's Avatar DIY: Aluminum Pedal install how-to
CC 330i
06-18-2005
Ok, I had a bit of a trial by fire, but I did learn a few things.

You will need a 5/32nds drill bit, preferably a cobalt one, since the brake pedal is steel. You will also need a 9/64ths (or even smaller) drill bit for the set screws used on the gas pedal and dead pedal. I also...
By bartman32 on 07-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
Bartman, can you install my pedals? My drill broke. LOL
Sure man. Let's set something up. PM me when you are avail.
By angina on 07-27-2007, 06:39 AM
nice!
By canucklion on 07-27-2007, 08:00 AM
for the dead pedal top, I took off the plastic cover covering the bottom of the driver side dash (held on by 3 screws), that'll ease the process somewhat, but it's still a bitch to get to.

cobalt bit for sure, regular bit is not going to do jack, even wit the cobalt bit, it took me maybe 5 minutes to drill each hole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzle View Post
ok i started today. gas and dead pedal are in; the brake pedal(yes people not breaks) is a killer. i used a regular bit but its taking forever and i most likely am going to get a cobalt bit. the dead pedal top is a pain too; how did you guys do that one?
By fizzle on 07-27-2007, 09:33 AM
wow thanks for the tips canuck...mds82 is gonna help me out this weekend with the brake pedal, and i will try that tip for the dead pedal. the dead pedal is in but the top screws are not. damn that steel...(yes not STEAL LOL)
By FrankoQ on 08-24-2007, 03:50 PM
I just got mine.
Will go get the titanium bit today and do the install tomorrow.
Thanks for the DIY.
By FrankoQ on 08-25-2007, 12:53 PM
Quick report:
Gas pedal... the easiest. drill holes, align pedal, do the screws
Dead pedal... a little pain with the top screws.
clutch pedal... easy to drill into plastic. but holes were not aligned properly
so ended up screwing the top screws and then just making new holes.
Brake pedal... the most pain. drilling holes easy with titanium drill bit.
But this time, I did not want the issues of misaligned holes.
So, I made the 2 top holes and secured the pedal. With the pedal on, I made the bottom holes. Done.

some pics.

The battle field:
Name:  s2.JPG
Views: 2346
Size:  128.4 KB

The weapons:
Name:  s3.JPG
Views: 2351
Size:  109.8 KB

Marking the holes:
Name:  s4.JPG
Views: 2386
Size:  108.9 KB

End result:
Name:  s7.JPG
Views: 2347
Size:  97.2 KB
By LateralG on 08-25-2007, 01:38 PM
those belongs to the E46...

the E90 ones are better looking for the car, IMO.

still a good DIY tho!
By GJR on 10-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Guys- the plastic dead pedal is removable...just pull it back with some force to unplug the plastic clips and then rotate to the right to remove it completely. Might help those who have complained about installing the top screws.
By trickydisco on 11-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Regarding the dead pedal drilling: any concerns about rust
forming on the underside of this metal floorboard where you
drilled?
By BimmerZealot on 12-06-2007, 02:54 AM
Is there any way to test to know for sure whether or not the gas pedal is reaching full throttle? I have the machined screws and dont notice anything significant regarding not being able to get to full throttle? Thanks
By unagi1 on 06-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
Average 87%
Thanks for the write-up! Lot easier than I thought it'd be
By Tmac911 on 06-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Is the dead pedal for the e90 same as e92? cuz i installed mine and it seems a lil off fitment? Did bmw give me the wrong dead pedal and mines a MANUAL would there be a different one for manual and auto????
thanks
By BimmerZealot on 06-05-2008, 12:45 AM
Based off **********s website it should fit. Manual/Auto are the same, it wont fit perfectly and cover everything the top should have a gap and the bottom should but should be covered by the carpet. Basically the large portion that shows is really all that matters, but the curvature should be right.
By Makushr1 on 07-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Member reviews
80%80%80%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
80%80%80%
80%80%80%
Average 80%
Thanks for the DIY post, it helped alot. I installed my pedals this past weekend, and it was pretty easy. I used the tape idea, rather than the stickers, since the stickers were bent in the package. The drill sizes were good too, the titanium bit made it pretty easy to drill in the steel pedal.

I would suggest one thing tho. When I was drilling into the steel break pedal, I was just slightly off from where the holes should be, maybe a mm or 2. So, when I tried to screw the pedals on, needless to say it didnt work. If you were just slightly off the gas pedal, it wouldnt be too big of deal, since the screw could easily manuver its self in the plastic. So, what I would suggest, when you are drilling into the steel pedal, maybe tape the aluminum on the steel pedal first, start drilling the holes with the pedal on, then take the aluminum off and finish drilling, so you have holes started. Use a smaller drill bit to start the holes so u dont scratch up the aluminum pedal. Other than that, it went great! I love them, and they look so clean with my black leather and brushed silver trim. Ill post a picture later on.
By bimmernupe on 10-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Ok I did this months ago. Worked out great. Following the instructions here for the gas pedal was a bitch, so I took it out completely. It is held in by one allen bolt and the wiring harness. Took a little suggesting to get it out. U have to slide the bottom out first. Took 2 minutes to get it out and made installing the aluminum alot easier
By vtec96 on 04-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
I installed the pedals during the weekend
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253294

and I found the similar problem with the screws for gas pedal. It will prevent me from getting full throttle and I did cut it shorter but I am not sure if the screw suppose to touch the end panel when you push all the way down. or screws should NOT touch the end panel at all?

Can someone confirm for me please?
Thanks
By bimmernupe on 04-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec96 View Post
I installed the pedals during the weekend
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253294

and I found the similar problem with the screws for gas pedal. It will prevent me from getting full throttle and I did cut it shorter but I am not sure if the screw suppose to touch the end panel when you push all the way down. or screws should NOT touch the end panel at all?

Can someone confirm for me please?
Thanks
See my post above yours
By vtec96 on 04-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernupe View Post
See my post above yours
I am going to take out the whole thing today but I was wondering if the screw should stick out the nut or it should be flat?
By mvansb23 on 04-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
question on the accelerator pedal. i used the bolts which were supplied by JBSpeed. They are too long and prevent the accelerator from being able to go all the way to the floor. I filed them down to the nut - but the thickness of the nut still impedes the accelerator. wondering if i am losing any power - the nuts are pretty thin - so its probably only an 1/8th of an inch. pretty annoying that these things are not shipped with the right parts. i noticed the loss of power with the bolts blocking the accelerator -but dont notice it now with them filed down. but just because i cant tell - does not convince me i am not losing power. the problem is that once you drill holes big enough for those bolts its too late for screws. so i am stuck with what i have - or i could use some epoxy and fix the pedal that way.

any thoughts??
By bimmernupe on 04-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec96 View Post
I am going to take out the whole thing today but I was wondering if the screw should stick out the nut or it should be flat?

It should be flat. I used a Dremel w/ disc and cut of the excess until it was flush w/ the nut.
By mvansb23 on 04-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
solved this problem -one more question - anyone done this install on an M3? the dead pedal is a lot different from the regular 3 series - wondering if i can just screw right into the dead pedal cover that is already there (the silver one with the oval shaped black plastic and M3 logo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvansb23 View Post
question on the accelerator pedal. i used the bolts which were supplied by JBSpeed. They are too long and prevent the accelerator from being able to go all the way to the floor. I filed them down to the nut - but the thickness of the nut still impedes the accelerator. wondering if i am losing any power - the nuts are pretty thin - so its probably only an 1/8th of an inch. pretty annoying that these things are not shipped with the right parts. i noticed the loss of power with the bolts blocking the accelerator -but dont notice it now with them filed down. but just because i cant tell - does not convince me i am not losing power. the problem is that once you drill holes big enough for those bolts its too late for screws. so i am stuck with what i have - or i could use some epoxy and fix the pedal that way.

any thoughts??
By vtec96 on 04-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvansb23 View Post
solved this problem -one more question - anyone done this install on an M3? the dead pedal is a lot different from the regular 3 series - wondering if i can just screw right into the dead pedal cover that is already there (the silver one with the oval shaped black plastic and M3 logo)

How did you solved the problem?
Cut it flat? or used other type of screws?
Comment