E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > New 320 Touring or Used 323 Touring



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
jp330Cic.au
Captain
jp330Cic.au's Avatar
Australia
13
Rep
628
Posts

 
Drives: E93 335DCT / E70 X5 40d
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
New 320 Touring or Used 323 Touring

Hi all,
I am considering getting my wife a 3 series touring.
I would love the 335 touring, but don't want to spend that much, as I want to save up for a 135 convertible.

I know that the 320 isn't as fast as the 323, but there isn't too much difference. Having driven the 320, it isn't all that bad and since we live basically in town, we rarely go over 60km / hour.

So, the question is...
Do I get a new 320 without the M Sport kit, but with the colour combo which I want (Alpine White + Terra) and all the options I want.
I would then get some aftermarket wheels.
OR
Settle for a year old 323 M Sport which has 12,000km on it, is silver, which is nice, but just plain black (really dark gray) interior and is minus the following options:
1. Xenon lights, iPod integration / sat nav etc.
2. Heated seats
3. Upgraded HiFi

There isn't too much difference in the money and I really expected the 320 to be like an old E36 318, but it is actually Ok.
So now I am confused
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
16
Rep
1,398
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325CI MY04 //M Clubsport
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to BMW //MPOWER
I see in your sig you've got a 330ci vert & an ML320, how old are they?
I'm just curious as to why your considering the 320i?
__________________

BMW 325Ci MY2004 Individual //M Clubsport Edition, //M Clubsport package, //M Sport 18"s, Manual //M Short Shift, Carbon Black, Black Aluminium Cube Interior.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
jp330Cic.au
Captain
jp330Cic.au's Avatar
Australia
13
Rep
628
Posts

 
Drives: E93 335DCT / E70 X5 40d
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The 330 is 5 yrs old and has done 29km.
The ML320 is 8 yrs old and has done 87km.

We want to keep the 330, but the ML320 is painful to drive and has really uncomfortable seats (to the point of getting constant back - aches). Otherwise, the ML is very practical.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
VGR00
Major
VGR00's Avatar
Australia
22
Rep
1,495
Posts

 
Drives: 125I Edition Sport Carbon Blk
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Brisbane - Australia

iTrader: (1)

I think the answer is in your origional post. Your second option was to "Settle" for a year old car. Either car will be as good as one another but when spending this sort of money, you should go with what you really want. The biggest plus for the 323 is the m-sport kit and that large first year depreciation that it had just gone through. The options you mentioned it doesn't have I can deffinitly live without.

A BMW 6 cyl will always be a rewarding drive but the current 4 cyl is not a bad unit for city drive. Good luck with your choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
maigais
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
36
Posts

 
Drives: 323i E92
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Adl

iTrader: (0)

I'd go for 323, just cos better value for money and 6cyl is 6cyl.

Regarding options,
2) upgrade xi fi - while listening mp3 - not sure it's worth it
3) heated seats - not in au, if it's -20 and freezes off your balls then yes.

I would not settle, go in a shop put cash on table say this is how much I have and this is what I want.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
Tintin
Private First Class
Australia
1
Rep
104
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 125i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maigais View Post
I'd go for 323, just cos better value for money and 6cyl is 6cyl.

Regarding options,
2) upgrade xi fi - while listening mp3 - not sure it's worth it
3) heated seats - not in au, if it's -20 and freezes off your balls then yes.

I would not settle, go in a shop put cash on table say this is how much I have and this is what I want.
you sound like a hard bargainer mate...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 02:29 AM   #7
astra
Brigadier General
astra's Avatar
Australia
48
Rep
3,748
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to astra
I would honestly go for the 320i.. Especially if you aren't going to racing around everywhere. It's the colour combo you want with the right options, and it is brand new.

To me the right combo, and new = a no brainer
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 05:56 AM   #8
Tintin
Private First Class
Australia
1
Rep
104
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 125i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp330Cic.au View Post
Hi all,
I am considering getting my wife a 3 series touring.
I would love the 335 touring, but don't want to spend that much, as I want to save up for a 135 convertible.

I know that the 320 isn't as fast as the 323, but there isn't too much difference. Having driven the 320, it isn't all that bad and since we live basically in town, we rarely go over 60km / hour.

So, the question is...
Do I get a new 320 without the M Sport kit, but with the colour combo which I want (Alpine White + Terra) and all the options I want.
I would then get some aftermarket wheels.
OR
Settle for a year old 323 M Sport which has 12,000km on it, is silver, which is nice, but just plain black (really dark gray) interior and is minus the following options:
1. Xenon lights, iPod integration / sat nav etc.
2. Heated seats
3. Upgraded HiFi

There isn't too much difference in the money and I really expected the 320 to be like an old E36 318, but it is actually Ok.
So now I am confused
for what its worth - I would wait for the right 323 to come along. But the inline 6 engine is very important to me and a huge part of the BMW experience - what about you?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 08:24 AM   #9
Ninjaoz
Captain
Ninjaoz's Avatar
Australia
14
Rep
928
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW X5 3.0d  [5.00]
2011 BMW 320d  [5.00]
+1 for the 323 M sport, you cant beat the silky smooth inline 6 cyl engine..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 09:09 AM   #10
JamieA
Colonel
JamieA's Avatar
Australia
28
Rep
2,147
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i SG
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Adelaide, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to JamieA
If you ask me, then it is the 323, you can't beat a BMW inline 6 for refinement

But really, vgr02 put it best

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
I think the answer is in your origional post. Your second option was to "Settle" for a year old car. Either car will be as good as one another but when spending this sort of money, you should go with what you really want...
To me, "settle" is the operative word, if you feel like you are settling, then you feel like you are compromising. Don't compromise, get what you really want, and forget about what everyone else thinks...
__________________
'05 E90 325i 6sp Man SG 118,032km on the odo (retired) | '06 E90 325i Step SG 121,021km on the odo (retired)
'08 E90 325i LCI Step SG 130,024km on the odo (retired)
'13 D30 328i M-Sport Step | Estoril Blue | Black/Aluminimum | Pro Nav | Xenon HBA | Lane Change Assist 1,760km on the odo
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 05:14 AM   #11
Chris.G
Banned
Chris.G's Avatar
Australia
44
Rep
3,122
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

323 M-sports is what i would go for but i love the M-sports suspension and body-kit so i am definately bias in my opinion. The engine of course is another plus.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 11:25 PM   #12
jp330Cic.au
Captain
jp330Cic.au's Avatar
Australia
13
Rep
628
Posts

 
Drives: E93 335DCT / E70 X5 40d
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
So this decision gets more complex...

You know when I normally choose a BMW it is for me, so it is all about emotion - I choose the motor (fastest I can afford), I choose the interior and exterior colour.
When I am choosing for my wife - it makes life harder. She wants Gold / Artic Silver, black or Sparkling Graphite. I want Titanium Silver or Alpine White(hey I have to wash one black car already)
She doesn't care about the motor - I want the six.

But now with the deals BMW are offering with finance, it seems that a new M Sport 320 touring will be around the same (within $3k) as a demonstrator, one year old 323.
As the deal ends 30 June, I still don't get the exact specifications that I want. But I have to spend another $10k to get exactly what I want, which may not be worth it.

I am leaning towards the 1 year old 323, but another dealer tells me that it is a 'press car' so it has been thrashed.
Would you buy a 'press car' if it is one of those, or is it a risk?

I once bought a Z3 2.8 which was used in the celebrity race for the F1 in Melbourne. I didn't know when I bought it and it was fine until I sold it.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 12:29 AM   #13
maigais
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
36
Posts

 
Drives: 323i E92
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Adl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp330Cic.au View Post
So this decision gets more complex...

You know when I normally choose a BMW it is for me, so it is all about emotion - I choose the motor (fastest I can afford), I choose the interior and exterior colour.
When I am choosing for my wife - it makes life harder. She wants Gold / Artic Silver, black or Sparkling Graphite. I want Titanium Silver or Alpine White(hey I have to wash one black car already)
She doesn't care about the motor - I want the six.

But now with the deals BMW are offering with finance, it seems that a new M Sport 320 touring will be around the same (within $3k) as a demonstrator, one year old 323.
As the deal ends 30 June, I still don't get the exact specifications that I want. But I have to spend another $10k to get exactly what I want, which may not be worth it.

I am leaning towards the 1 year old 323, but another dealer tells me that it is a 'press car' so it has been thrashed.
Would you buy a 'press car' if it is one of those, or is it a risk?

I once bought a Z3 2.8 which was used in the celebrity race for the F1 in Melbourne. I didn't know when I bought it and it was fine until I sold it.
323 has warranty? Well trashed - driven bit faster, couple of slides all normal stuff I'd, so not sure it's trashing.

On another note am seriously getting upset by BMW Adelaide.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 12:44 AM   #14
jp330Cic.au
Captain
jp330Cic.au's Avatar
Australia
13
Rep
628
Posts

 
Drives: E93 335DCT / E70 X5 40d
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maigais View Post
On another note am seriously getting upset by BMW Adelaide.
Really!
Why?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 01:57 AM   #15
maigais
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
36
Posts

 
Drives: 323i E92
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Adl

iTrader: (0)

1) Promise to call back - do not do that twice
2) Never got actual invitation to 1st series presentation (told me great stories about that when I was signing contract)
3) Bmw driver days, I do not think they have them. Cos if they are 3 times a year, thats every 4 months, and they at least should know approx it will happen.

Now #1 and #2 shows me service level, not calling back is just something I personally hate and never do to my customers even I have bad news.

#3 is 50% of sale to me.

+ BMW is German company and they sell luxury cars - I expect German punctuality and service.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 02:01 AM   #16
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
16
Rep
1,398
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325CI MY04 //M Clubsport
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to BMW //MPOWER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp330Cic.au View Post
So this decision gets more complex...

You know when I normally choose a BMW it is for me, so it is all about emotion - I choose the motor (fastest I can afford), I choose the interior and exterior colour.
When I am choosing for my wife - it makes life harder. She wants Gold / Artic Silver, black or Sparkling Graphite. I want Titanium Silver or Alpine White(hey I have to wash one black car already)
She doesn't care about the motor - I want the six.

But now with the deals BMW are offering with finance, it seems that a new M Sport 320 touring will be around the same (within $3k) as a demonstrator, one year old 323.
As the deal ends 30 June, I still don't get the exact specifications that I want. But I have to spend another $10k to get exactly what I want, which may not be worth it.

I am leaning towards the 1 year old 323, but another dealer tells me that it is a 'press car' so it has been thrashed.
Would you buy a 'press car' if it is one of those, or is it a risk?

I once bought a Z3 2.8 which was used in the celebrity race for the F1 in Melbourne. I didn't know when I bought it and it was fine until I sold it.
A few wise words for you mate.
- never let the dealer push you into a sale. The june 30 deal end date is just fluff to try and get you to sign up there & then.
- never compromise, be patient, don't settle for second best and wait until you find what you want for the price you want. (Under reasonable assumptions).

As for the 323i press vehicle, i wouldn't be apprehensive, but it wouldn't prevent me from purchasing, you can use this as a way to get them to drop the price. Remember it's them that want your sale and selling high end cars is only going to get harder for these guys going forward in the current economic climate.
__________________

BMW 325Ci MY2004 Individual //M Clubsport Edition, //M Clubsport package, //M Sport 18"s, Manual //M Short Shift, Carbon Black, Black Aluminium Cube Interior.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #17
astra
Brigadier General
astra's Avatar
Australia
48
Rep
3,748
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to astra
Quote:
Originally Posted by maigais View Post
1) Promise to call back - do not do that twice
2) Never got actual invitation to 1st series presentation (told me great stories about that when I was signing contract)
3) Bmw driver days, I do not think they have them. Cos if they are 3 times a year, thats every 4 months, and they at least should know approx it will happen.

Now #1 and #2 shows me service level, not calling back is just something I personally hate and never do to my customers even I have bad news.

#3 is 50% of sale to me.

+ BMW is German company and they sell luxury cars - I expect German punctuality and service.
1. Welcome to the real world... We all hate it
2. I am on the amiling lisr for all new model launches, events and the BMW magazine, and do I recieve any of these? No
3. Don't hold your breath
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #18
maigais
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
36
Posts

 
Drives: 323i E92
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Adl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
1. Welcome to the real world... We all hate it
2. I am on the amiling lisr for all new model launches, events and the BMW magazine, and do I recieve any of these? No
3. Don't hold your breath
2. Ouch

3. Yes, I grasped on that. Thats why I am fussing.

1. I know this is a real word, and I am smart enough to use my cards while I can, for now I still need to provide 99% of money, if they can't provide what they promised - I will cancel.

There is exact same car in melbourne for 4k cheaper - and I can get it now.

I guess, to bit explain, why it is so important, once you change side of globe, you do not have friends etc. And since humans are such a community animals. This was one of the ways how to find ppl to catch up with to share common interest.

Of course I am still part of Latvian bmw community, but getting together is bit different.

And yes my au bmw community is great too!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 01:06 AM   #19
jp330Cic.au
Captain
jp330Cic.au's Avatar
Australia
13
Rep
628
Posts

 
Drives: E93 335DCT / E70 X5 40d
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I ended up going for the new 320 M Sport Sparkling Graphite
- 18" 193 wheels
- Front PDC
- Adaptive Xenons & Navigation
- Folding Mirrors

Not really what I wanted and I paid too much, but I am a sucker when it comes to BMW and their techo options.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST