E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Problem with my 335xi - any mechanics out there?

05-25-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
grkmec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Problem with my 335xi - any mechanics out there?

Ok, so I just got back from my Memorial day roadtrip and I have this really wacky suspension problem on my 335xi. The easiest way I can describe the problem is that when going 60mph+ and go over any kind of bump on the highway, the car starts violently rocking side to side. Its so bad that my yellow DSC light comes on, and it almost feels like the car is correcting from a driver induced oversteer situation. Aside from this acute problem, the car does not feel secure footed at any speed.

I initially thought maybe the lug nuts where loose on a tire, so I stopped at a Costco and had them check all the lug nuts with a torque wrench and confirmed all my tires were 36psi as required for a 335xi with OEM 18" rubber.

When I got home, I took a tape measure and measured the distance from each fender to the ground. This is what I found:

Front right - 26.500"
Front left - 26.875"
Rear right - 26.500"
Rear left - 26.125"

Its looks like the left side of the car is off somehow. Does anyone know what the hell the problem might be? Blown shock and/or spring? Please help!

*** UPDATE ***
My SA says that my left rear lower trailing arm is severed and the right rear one is severely bent. They claim the damage needed to be done from an external source, i.e., not normal wear and tear covered under warranty. Their best guess is that it must have been towed (which it has never been) or attempted theft. I had my car dyno'd two weeks ago, so my theory is the dyno shop really f*cked up and when they strapped in my car, they used the trailing arms. I have no other explanation for how this could have happened.

Last edited by grkmec; 05-31-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 550i

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grkmec View Post
Its looks like the left side of the car is off somehow. Does anyone know what the hell the problem might be? Blown shock and/or spring? Please help!
Sounds as if a shock is gone on the back left corner .....

Are you running on a completely stock suspension, or did you swap out the springs for something aftermarket?

Are there any sounds or does the car's suspension feel soft (non-existent) when you apply pressure to the corner in question?

I'd suggest you get it inspected by a qualified BMW shop before going back on highway / freeways.
      05-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
grkmec
Private First Class
Rep

Everything in the car is 100% stock. The suspension does not make any sound and yes, the suspension feels soft.

I plan to take it into the dealer asap.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
How old (and how many miles) do you have on the car ... ?
      05-25-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
grkmec
Private First Class
Rep

2008 335xi (January 2008 build) and it has 1,900 miles
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Likely a defective seal in the damper. Dealer should fix it all up for you (shock replacement)
      05-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
DSXMachina
If I don't get reincarnated I'm screwed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92, 6MT, TiAg, Walnut, Saddle

Gotta disagree on the one blown shock theory, and it's unlikely that he has had two or more fail at the same time. Then what could it be? I'm thinking another suspension component, a control arm (or a loose tie rod, yikes) and the car should not be driven at over 30mph until you get it checked out. Losing control on the highway could result in some awesome paint scratches!
How could such an important part be defective? Could have scraped something or been improperly installed at the factory. You would not believe some of the things I have seen get out of Germany, and past the US port inspection. It makes me wonder sometimes what is happening to BMW's line inspection during assembly. Example? How about an E92 with the rear exhaust hangers NOT attached. The reason they weren't attached is because the hangers were assembled reversed (L to R and R to L) and it is impossible for them to be attached in that position! How about steering components which were not properly torqued resulting in quite exciting pull when the brakes were applied. Scheisse happens.
Let us know what the dealer finds.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 09:51 PM   #8
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Gotta disagree on the one blown shock theory, and it's unlikely that he has had two or more fail at the same time.
The one thing we do agree on is a dealer / certified shop should inspect the car ASAP.

re "it's unlikely that he has had two or more fail at the same time"

I'm not sure where you got that from ... . What I read (and posted) was that the single left rear damper was defective. This is based on the description provided by the OP, which he describes as a rear suspension oscillation following the car passing over a bump at speed. Also ... the fact that the rear suspension is soft tends to substantiate this "online diagnosis".

As far as broken or loose suspension member ... that also is a possibility, but less likely.

Either way .... into the shop it should go
      05-29-2008, 12:15 AM   #9
grkmec
Private First Class
Rep

Sounds like the same exact problem....

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144949

My car is going into the dealer tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 12:33 AM   #10
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

I wonder if you still have the shipping blocks installed? Take a picture.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 11:47 PM   #11
GIZMO2132002
One Hell of Ride
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Terra Dakota Le

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to GIZMO2132002 Send a message via MSN to GIZMO2132002
It might be that your dealer that you purchased. Could have missed a shipping block in the shock from transport. Have you local dealer have them lift it on a lift and check.

I'm pretty sure that could be your problem.
      05-31-2008, 04:17 PM   #12
grkmec
Private First Class
Rep

*** UPDATE ***
My SA says that my left rear lower trailing arm is severed and the right rear one is severely bent. They claim the damage needed to be done from an external source, i.e., not normal wear and tear covered under warranty. Their best guess is that it must have been towed (which it has never been) or attempted theft. I had my car dyno'd two weeks ago, so my theory is the dyno shop really f*cked up and when they strapped in my car, they used the trailing arms. I have no other explanation for how this could have happened.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 04:20 PM   #13
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkmec View Post
*** UPDATE ***

At least you know what caused it....the dyno.
      09-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #14
335icoupe2007SanDiego
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe 6spd Vishnu v3

Rear suspension problems

A pin connecting the left rear wheel to the top control arm has snapped on me twice. I've also had my car dynoed twice.

The first time the pin broke was after the first dyno run and three weeks after I blew out the left rear tire by unintentionally running over a curb. But it was 3 weeks after and the tire was replaced and the car aligned(actually replaced all of the tires at that time).

The dealer said it had to be from the impact and refused to cover under warranty. Dealer fixed it for roughly $2,100.

Then I had the car dynoed again (after a chip upgrade). And 3-4 weeks later, the same pin snapped. Different dealer said it must have been result of faulty repair by first dealer. Again cost $2,100.

I was going to get car dynoed again (yet another chip upgrade) but having read your post, am not going to do that. I never tied the two things together but think it's a real possibility.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Appreciate 0