E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Earthquake SWS and spacer discovery



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-13-2008, 08:09 AM   #23
jackb
Captain
jackb's Avatar
26
Rep
946
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi, E36 M3 Vert
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal /Plattsburgh,NY

iTrader: (1)

So Iím finally installing the SWS this morning,
I know a lot of you have been using silicone to seal them and using Ĺ inch spacers but from what Iím also reading the spacers seem to create a problem with the subs hitting the carpet and possibly the grill

So I decided to go a different route ,

First I broke most of the middle tabs at the bottom of the enclosure ( the speaker actually touches only some of them) then put Dynamat over the whole bottom of the enclosure

Next I sealed the woofers with high density foam tape (I used 3/8 x 3/8 ), foam tape is great because it will seal your speaker while moulding itself to the enclosure I had used it before in my E46 for my IB subs and I know it completely seals the speakers and a an added bonus there is no mess like silicone

For the hole where the speaker wire goes trough I used a little bit of silicone and then put Dynamat on top and on the bottom so as to have really complete seal

I think the carpet will not be an issue now since my SWS will actually be sitting lower then the OEM speakers

Here a the pictures:

Foam tape installed it will compress when the speaker is screwed in






I tried to show how the speaker clears the bottom of the enclosure ( not easy to photograph)


The result; as you can see since the part over the enclosure from the SWS is shorter the speaker sits lower then the OEM
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 09:02 AM   #24
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
VP Electricity's Avatar
United_States
70
Rep
3,181
Posts

 
Drives: E91 XDrive
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: portland oregon

iTrader: (3)

I love foam tape as well. Looks nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 10:07 AM   #25
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
26
Rep
1,638
Posts

 
Drives: Jet Black 335i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (10)

Foam tape is a great idea..wish I had known about this before I made a huge mess with silicon. Where do you buy it?



Quote:
Originally Posted by jackb View Post
So Iím finally installing the SWS this morning,
I know a lot of you have been using silicone to seal them and using Ĺ inch spacers but from what Iím also reading the spacers seem to create a problem with the subs hitting the carpet and possibly the grill

So I decided to go a different route ,

First I broke most of the middle tabs at the bottom of the enclosure ( the speaker actually touches only some of them) then put Dynamat over the whole bottom of the enclosure

Next I sealed the woofers with high density foam tape (I used 3/8 x 3/8 ), foam tape is great because it will seal your speaker while moulding itself to the enclosure I had used it before in my E46 for my IB subs and I know it completely seals the speakers and a an added bonus there is no mess like silicone

For the hole where the speaker wire goes trough I used a little bit of silicone and then put Dynamat on top and on the bottom so as to have really complete seal

I think the carpet will not be an issue now since my SWS will actually be sitting lower then the OEM speakers

Here a the pictures:

Foam tape installed it will compress when the speaker is screwed in






I tried to show how the speaker clears the bottom of the enclosure ( not easy to photograph)


The result; as you can see since the part over the enclosure from the SWS is shorter the speaker sits lower then the OEM
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 10:34 AM   #26
jackb
Captain
jackb's Avatar
26
Rep
946
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi, E36 M3 Vert
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal /Plattsburgh,NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlucci1 View Post
Foam tape is a great idea..wish I had known about this before I made a huge mess with silicon. Where do you buy it?

Home Depot

Door/Windows section
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 10:37 AM   #27
jackb
Captain
jackb's Avatar
26
Rep
946
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi, E36 M3 Vert
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal /Plattsburgh,NY

iTrader: (1)

Ok they are installed

Here's How they sit compared to OEM

OEM:



SWS ( see how much lower they are)

__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #28
jackb
Captain
jackb's Avatar
26
Rep
946
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi, E36 M3 Vert
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal /Plattsburgh,NY

iTrader: (1)

My amp is wired and reay to go

but before I connect the speakers to it I'm going to try and adjust the sound and see how the SWS-8s play on Logic7 compared to OEM

and let you know
__________________

Last edited by jackb; 06-13-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #29
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
26
Rep
1,638
Posts

 
Drives: Jet Black 335i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (10)

Im curious to see if your sideskirts rattle as much as mine
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 12:33 PM   #30
jackb
Captain
jackb's Avatar
26
Rep
946
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi, E36 M3 Vert
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal /Plattsburgh,NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackb View Post
My amp is wired and reay to go

but before I connect the speakers to it I'm going to try and adjust the sound and see hoe the SWS-8s play on Logic7 compared to OEM

and let you know
Ok tried that
I played around with the settings to try and get best response etc,

IMHO they play better with the OEM amp but not enough so as to only do this upgrape they need an amplifier to get their true value

next step connect the amp (500W rms)
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 12:35 PM   #31
jackb
Captain
jackb's Avatar
26
Rep
946
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi, E36 M3 Vert
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal /Plattsburgh,NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlucci1 View Post
Im curious to see if your sideskirts rattle as much as mine
They where not tood bad with the OEM amp, lets see what happens with more power

I did put as much Dynamat as I could in the hole where the subs fire into the door sills to see if that would help
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #32
LaYzEe
Major
LaYzEe's Avatar
18
Rep
1,040
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Area, Ca

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackb View Post
I did put as much Dynamat as I could in the hole where the subs fire into the door sills to see if that would help
wait, so you covered up the entire hole? Remember the subs are ported towards the door sills so dont completely cover the entire hole. I actually tried it myself (covering the entire hole) and it sounded like crap since there would be no air movement.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #33
jackb
Captain
jackb's Avatar
26
Rep
946
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi, E36 M3 Vert
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal /Plattsburgh,NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaYzEe View Post
wait, so you covered up the entire hole? Remember the subs are ported towards the door sills so dont completely cover the entire hole. I actually tried it myself (covering the entire hole) and it sounded like crap since there would be no air movement.
read my post again in the hole not over

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackb View Post
I did put as much Dynamat as I could in the hole where the subs fire into the door sills to see if that would help
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #34
jackb
Captain
jackb's Avatar
26
Rep
946
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi, E36 M3 Vert
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal /Plattsburgh,NY

iTrader: (1)

So the Dynamat did help,
but there is still quite a lot of vibration , I'm thinking I might Dynamat the side skirts next

Oh and it sounds amazing
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 07:30 PM   #35
LaYzEe
Major
LaYzEe's Avatar
18
Rep
1,040
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Area, Ca

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackb View Post
read my post again in the hole not over
oh, my bad, i guess i was reading it too fast.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #36
LaYzEe
Major
LaYzEe's Avatar
18
Rep
1,040
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Area, Ca

iTrader: (4)

jackb, i liked how u used the foam tape, very clean install im actually surprised how low the sws can go if u take out those tabs. i should of done that in the first place but oh well.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #37
jackb
Captain
jackb's Avatar
26
Rep
946
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi, E36 M3 Vert
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal /Plattsburgh,NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaYzEe View Post
i should of done that in the first place but oh well.
I did have the advantage of following your instructions ( which where great by the way ) , so it was easy for me to see what could be done better or easier
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 11:21 PM   #38
nselimis
E93 Owner and loving it!
United_States
1
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: e93
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MD

iTrader: (2)

Can anyone post info on installing the amp

For those of us that want to do this mod. Can one of you post some picks of the AMP install? Where you put it and how did you get the input for the AMP?

I'm assuming its picked up from the lines coming to the subs and a line lever is used?

Thanks from someone is picking up there E93 in 4 weeks

Thanks for all the info this looks like one of the first mods i may try!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #39
jackb
Captain
jackb's Avatar
26
Rep
946
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335xi, E36 M3 Vert
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal /Plattsburgh,NY

iTrader: (1)

you need to there's a ton of thread with pics on that subject an also 3 DIY I beleive


Quote:
Originally Posted by nselimis View Post
For those of us that want to do this mod. Can one of you post some picks of the AMP install? Where you put it and how did you get the input for the AMP?

I'm assuming its picked up from the lines coming to the subs and a line lever is used?

Thanks from someone is picking up there E93 in 4 weeks

Thanks for all the info this looks like one of the first mods i may try!!!!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #40
Autobot
Colonel
Autobot's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
2,980
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 Montego 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Monterey, California

iTrader: (8)

Garage List
06 325i  [0.00]
07 328i  [0.00]
subscribed
__________________
MODS: Blacklines|M6 Reps|Rear Fog|Silver CF Int Trim |Silver CF Pedals, Dead Pedal & Brake hande|OEM CF Trunk Spoiler |ACS Roof Spoiler|CF Mirror Covers|CF Door Pillars |8000K D1S| Blue LED Interior Lights|Black Grille| LUX 5.0| ACS front lip| 20% Tint| CF Roundels | LED Turn signals |Deleted Secondary Cats|Eisenmann Race with mid-pipes|BMW Perf SSK| Black roof | SWS 8 & PDX amp|BMW Perf Fr Brakes | Vorsteiner CF Hood
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #41
scampos1984
Spaniard member
Spain
2
Rep
197
Posts

 
Drives: E90 & E91 320d
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Madrid, Spain

iTrader: (0)

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding the SWS...

The thick connector is the positive and the thin the negative one ???

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 07:45 AM   #42
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
kaigoss69's Avatar
United_States
64
Rep
3,089
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: JAX

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampos1984 View Post
Hi guys,

I have a question regarding the SWS...

The thick connector is the positive and the thin the negative one ???

Thanks in advance
Yes!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 09:30 AM   #43
scampos1984
Spaniard member
Spain
2
Rep
197
Posts

 
Drives: E90 & E91 320d
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Madrid, Spain

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Yes!
Perfect, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #44
mgithens
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

 
Drives: '06 325xi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

hopefully not too far off topic, but what reasoning for the dynamat inside the enclosure??

edit: crap, didn't realize the dates on this thread... sorry to dig it up!!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST