E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Performance Center Delivery-South Carolina

03-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #1
tiiloui

Drives: 73 2002tii

Performance Center Delivery-South Carolina

Anyone provide any input to picking up at the performance delivery center.

I was told by dealer if I elected, I would need to pay for the vehicle prior to pick up. Is this typical? I would expect to take possession of my new ride at the same time of handing over the check??
      03-08-2006, 04:38 PM   #2
sdorn
Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325i

There is a great article on performance center delivery in the latest issue of Roundel. I believe it is just like ED, you pay before you go and pick it up. You are actually buying the car through your local dealership, so they handle the paperwork and payment rather than the delivery center in South Carolina. I highly recommend reading the Roundel article if you are considering Performance Delivery. If ED was out of the question, I would definitely go with the Performance Delivery option.
2006 Jet Black 325i (SOLD)
2001 Bullitt Mustang (450rwhp - SOLD)
      03-08-2006, 04:54 PM   #3
tiiloui

ED Was my first choice

ED was my first choice however, had to accelerate my purchase due to my wife's car being recently totalled. So she will be the proud owner of a 330 sedan while I will wait for the coupe to appear next year....which most certainly pick up at its birth place. Stay tuned for the famliy photo with the baby 2002tii flanked by its brother and sister E90s!

Thanks for info on Roundel just got it yesterday but had not opened it yet.
      03-08-2006, 04:57 PM   #4
mmeads
Private First Class

Drives:

http://blien-pcd.blogspot.com

edit: someone else's experience, not mine.
      03-08-2006, 05:00 PM   #5
Kimo
First Lieutenant

Drives: e90 e85 e46 e31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiiloui

I was told by dealer if I elected, I would need to pay for the vehicle prior to pick up. Is this typical? I would expect to take possession of my new ride at the same time of handing over the check??
Yes, dealer is correct. You must write the big check BEFORE you can pick up the car with PCD. Dealer sends a certification to Performance Center that this has been done before they will release the car to you. You must also take your tags with you to Spartanburg (dealer will supply them to you after receiving the big check). IIRC, you must also show proof of insurance.

One note: Your vehicle in-service date (upon which your warranty, free Sirius, free BMW Assist, title, lease, etc. is pegged) starts on big check day -- not PCD day. So keep that in mind.

Risk of loss and issues of liability during the time from big check to PCD present some interesting legal questions that, thankfully, did not present themselves in our situation (even though we did our PCD the day Katrina struck the US). For instance, what if the car is stolen from the PCD lot? Whose loss/insurance -- yours or BMWNA's? Probably yours.
Ours #1:....2008 (e85) Z4 3.0si, Jet Black
Ours #2:....1992 (e31) 850i, Jet Black
      03-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #6
sdorn
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo

Risk of loss and issues of liability during the time from big check to PCD present some interesting legal questions that, thankfully, did not present themselves in our situation (even though we did our PCD the day Katrina struck the US). For instance, what if the car is stolen from the PCD lot? Whose loss/insurance -- yours or BMWNA's? Probably yours.
These things should be addressed in the contract. If they aren't, then BMW's lawyers didn't do a very good job. Unless the contract specifically says BMW is responsible, I would assume you are and make sure the insurance coverage is in place as of the day you sign the contract.
      03-08-2006, 05:44 PM   #7
tiiloui

Whose Liable

Last time I was arrested, Possession is .9 of the Law; (Only Kidding)
The liability should rest with BMW while the vehicle is under their control; no different than you leaving your vehicle while maintenance is performed at a repair shop. I am sure however the BMW insurance policy has a list of waivers such that when the owner picks up his new ride and drives through the window instead of the open door.
      03-08-2006, 06:21 PM   #8
sdorn
Lieutenant

Quote:
The liability should rest with BMW while the vehicle is under their control; no different than you leaving your vehicle while maintenance is performed at a repair shop.
Common sense isn't always the way things work when it comes to the law. In my contracts class during my first year of law school we read several cases dealing with responsibility for loss under a sales contract where the sale has been completed but the product hadn't been delivered to the buyer. Like I said before, a good lawyer would specifically address it in the contract. If it isn't addressed, then you could have to go to court for the judge to figure out what the intent of the parties was. That is why I suggest making sure you have insurance in effect from the minute you sign the contract just in case.
      03-09-2006, 09:42 AM   #9
mmeads
Private First Class

Drives:

My CA touched on this. He more-or-less told me to tell my insurance company that I had already taken delivery (before I pick-up) for that very reason. If a meteor hits my car in the PCD parking lot, my insurance will have to cover it.
      03-09-2006, 04:27 PM   #10
AComp
Too Beaucoup

Drives: '06 325i SG/Terra

Quote:

Just ordered, and was told I have to pay 10 days prior to my PCD date.
      03-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #11
carjon
First Lieutenant

Drives: 328xi Sedan

Was an interesting but slightly different situation when, I think about 3 years ago, one of the car carrying ships sank in Euope. Non-delivered cars were BMW (and other vendor's problems) but ED cars were insurance company issue - wasn't a new car that they were responsible for since you had owned it for some time. Not sure all the outcome but it must have been interesting. I believe in that case BMW "bought" from the insurance companies all the cars so they couldn't show up some day as "slightly" used - similar to Katrina.
      03-13-2006, 08:05 PM   #12
Mystic330
Enlisted Member

Drives: 330i

Anybody that's done PCD from out of state get hit with the "South Carolina first use tax"???

Just got this emailed to me:
This is a use tax of $300 upon the first use of a new vehicle in South
Carolina. This first time use tax will not be collected by your retail center or the
BMW Performance Center. Should the State decide to collect the tax from out of state
consumers, it would be billed by the State of South Carolina and payable directly to
the same. To our knowledge the State has never collected this tax. We are sorry for
any inconvenience this may cause you.
      03-13-2006, 08:39 PM   #13
mmeads
Private First Class

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic330
Anybody that's done PCD from out of state get hit with the "South Carolina first use tax"???
Don't worry about it. Just like it says, no one ever pays it.

It's in the SC law books, so the PCD has to notify you, but they don't collected it from anyone. It's a weird law too. It almost seems like it targets the PCD.