E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Good News for US! Bad News for Obama?

06-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 328i Coupe

Good News for US! Bad News for Obama?

It is generally not good to be in a position where good news for your country is bad for you politically. I wonder what Barack Obama and the Democrat Party leadership thought when they read this in Sunday's Washington Post?

Quote:
The Iraqi Upturn
Don't look now, but the U.S.-backed government and army may be winning the war.

Sunday, June 1, 2008; B06

THERE'S BEEN a relative lull in news coverage and debate about Iraq in recent weeks -- which is odd, because May could turn out to have been one of the most important months of the war. While Washington's attention has been fixed elsewhere, military analysts have watched with astonishment as the Iraqi government and army have gained control for the first time of the port city of Basra and the sprawling Baghdad neighborhood of Sadr City, routing the Shiite militias that have ruled them for years and sending key militants scurrying to Iran. At the same time, Iraqi and U.S. forces have pushed forward with a long-promised offensive in Mosul, the last urban refuge of al-Qaeda. So many of its leaders have now been captured or killed that U.S. Ambassador Ryan C. Crocker, renowned for his cautious assessments, said that the terrorists have "never been closer to defeat than they are now."....
Source

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Drives: Like a boss

good news...now get the fuck outta there and lower my damn gas prices
      06-02-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
dr335is
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Some Mazda junk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
It is generally not good to be in a position where good news for your country is bad for you politically. I wonder what Barack Obama and the Democrat Party leadership thought when they read this in Sunday's Washington Post?

Source
ALL RIGHT!!!

Finally, the most powerful Army and military intel in the world is winning the war agains the mighty Iraqi insurgency...

Shame...

You/the paper is right -- we shoudl not talk about Iraq any more, we should get the hell out of there and let them live...and arrange their own country the way they want
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Solonng
Captain
Rep

Drives: Monacco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
ALL RIGHT!!!

Finally, the most powerful Army and military intel in the world is winning the war agains the mighty Iraqi insurgency...

Shame...

You/the paper is right -- we shoudl not talk about Iraq any more, we should get the hell out of there and let them live...and arrange their own country the way they want
yeah, okay-look at vietnam and tell me if its okay to get the hell out..if the us stays over there for just a few more days, it would have won the war and the communist would have surrendered.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
Solonng
Captain
Rep

you're still a jackass in my mind..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep

But if we had only concentrated on Afghanistan, we would not be losing there!

Maybe Not:

Quote:
Afghan insurgents 'on brink of defeat'
By Thomas Harding in Lashkar Gah
Last updated: 10:31 PM BST 01/06/2008
Missions by special forces and air strikes by unmanned drones have "decapitated" the Taliban and brought the war in Afghanistan to a "tipping point", the commander of British forces has said.

The new "precise, surgical" tactics have killed scores of insurgent leaders and made it extremely difficult for Pakistan-based Taliban leaders to prosecute the campaign, according to Brig Mark Carleton-Smith.

In the past two years an estimated 7,000 Taliban have been killed, the majority in southern and eastern Afghanistan. But it is the "very effective targeted decapitation operations" that have removed "several echelons of commanders".

This in turn has left the insurgents on the brink of defeat, the head of Task Force Helmand said.

"The Taliban are much weaker," he said from 16 Air Assault Brigade headquarters in Lashkar Gah.

"The tide is clearly ebbing not flowing for them. Their chain of command is disrupted and they are short of weapons and ammunition."

Continued here.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
dr335is
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
But if we had only concentrated on Afghanistan, we would not be losing there!

Maybe Not:
So, from contracting the oil deals, now you're probably making $$$ of this propaganda crap, our dear Patriot...

We have seen this crap -- OBL about caught, Taliban about to collapse, Mission Accomplished crap...
We have seen it $800B ago and 3500 US lives ago...but it turned out to be wrong propaganda...

Fool me once shame on you...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
TMNT
Captain
Rep

Drives: 330ci ZHP

Quote:
So, from contracting the oil deals, now you're probably making $$$ of this propaganda crap, our dear Patriot...

We have seen this crap -- OBL about caught, Taliban about to collapse, Mission Accomplished crap...
We have seen it $800B ago and 3500 US lives ago...but it turned out to be wrong propaganda...

Fool me once shame on you...
dr325i is right. We've been feed this "almost" crap for too long now.

We're almost there...
We almost caught OBL...
The Taliban is almost about the collapse...

The american people are sick of it and have given the Bush Administration 4 downs.

We're now on 4th down and the Bush administration is crying "go for it!" with a foot to reach the first down marker trying to extend the game and call a win. However little do they realize they're still on their own 30.

Kick the damn ball already, we're not doing anyone any favors going for it on our own 30.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
Solonng
Captain
Rep

lets attack pakistan!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
DesiGUY
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: Crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solonng View Post
lets attack pakistan!
If/When something happens to Musharaff... US is going into pakistan.
100% guaranteed.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
SteelTorque
Captain
Rep

Drives: 08 E92 335xi

Quote:
ALL RIGHT!!!

Shame...

I disagree with that big time. Never in history was the US "the most powerful Army and military intel in the world".

And in this kind of war it doesn't matter how powerful you are, because those guys fight very dirty.

But I do agree that we should have left that place a long time ago.
      06-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #12
Neurorad
Major
Rep

Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP

I find the sources of info questionable, but it sounds like good news.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #13
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep

Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
this is nothing but pro-war propaganda. if Iraqi military has finally started to step it up, its is DEFINITELY a sign for a pull-out.
      06-02-2008, 03:43 PM   #14
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
That's great news. You've convinced me, I'll vote for Retardican Candidate McCain and take my kids to Iraq for vacation. They're going to love playing dodge-mortar in the Green Zone.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #15
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The desire exhibited by some people to surrender, hand al Qaeda a victory they have been unable to earn on the battlefield, and condemn Iraq to al Qaeda and/or genocide is simply inconceivable to me.

Over the summer the refrain was we could not win so we need to leave. Now it seems to be, in spite of all the evidence to the contrary we still cannot win but even if we are, let's surrender anyway.

I am so thankful everyday that the American people were made of firmer substance in 1777, 1863, and 1942. Sad, very sad.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #16
dr335is
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The desire exhibited by some people to surrender, hand al Qaeda a victory they have been unable to earn on the battlefield, and condemn Iraq to al Qaeda and/or genocide is simply inconceivable to me.

Over the summer the refrain was we could not win so we need to leave. Now it seems to be, in spite of all the evidence to the contrary we still cannot win but even if we are, let's surrender anyway.

I am so thankful everyday that the American people were made of firmer substance in 1777, 1863, and 1942. Sad, very sad.
Ah, you're so full of shit with your fake Patriotism...
in 1942 we were DEFENDING our country and our freedoms against the enemy that attacked us and tried to concur the world...
Now, you're comparing that to Iraq.

And what is the price of your victory here???
More dead kids and innocent Iraqi families so that we can call it a victory while Al Qaeda will move to other areas of the world. We have proiven that by killing SH, we completely demolished his regime in Iraq. Yet, we do not realize the importance of OBL and his closest supporters...we let them live and we don't care where they are. And the goats like you accepted it... If we finished the job in Afghanistan, then realized that they moved to Iraq and were protected by the Iraqis -- I would be all for it. However, this has NOTHING to do with those Patriots that fought and supported the efforts in the WW2.

There is absolutely no evidence of ANY progress in the war on terror. Our kids are dying daily, our standard of living is deteriorating daily -- exactly what OBL wanted -- to make our lives worse than they were...

You keep sinking deeper and deeper with your desperate comments...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 06:18 PM   #17
Solonng
Captain
Rep

[quote=dr325i;2762281]Ah, you're so full of shit with your fake Patriotism...
in 1942 we were DEFENDING our country and our freedoms against the enemy that attacked us and tried to concur the world...

More dead kids and innocent Iraqi families so that we can call it a victory while Al Qaeda will move to other areas of the world. We have proiven that by killing SH, we completely demolished his regime in Iraq. Yet, we do not realize the importance of OBL and his closest supporters...we let them live and we don't care where they are. And the goats like you accepted it... If we finished the job in Afghanistan, then realized that they moved to Iraq and were protected by the Iraqis -- I would be all for it. However, this has NOTHING to do with those Patriots that fought and supported the efforts in the WW2.

There is absolutely no evidence of ANY progress in the war on terror. Our kids are dying daily, our standard of living is deteriorating daily -- exactly what OBL wanted -- to make our lives worse than they were...

You keep sinking deeper and deeper with your desperate comments...[/QUOTE]

what is with you and the sinking deeper thinking? i know that you live in boca and all but must you be so negative. not all ships sink you know!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 06:19 PM   #18
Solonng
Captain
Rep

stop being a wuzz..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #19
Solonng
Captain
Rep

[quote=Solonng;2762353]
Quote:
Ah, you're so full of shit with your fake Patriotism...

You keep sinking deeper and deeper with your desperate comments...[/QUOTE]

what is with you and the sinking deeper thinking? i know that you live in boca and all but must you be so negative. not all ships sink you know!
you live in boca..what do you know about declining standards of living..geez.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #20
Solonng
Captain
Rep

In 2006, the median income in boca was $66k versus the nation's median income of $48k. That seems low for boca considering the concentration of wealth in the city. so please be considerate before you start complaining about about your standard of living is deteriorating daily.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 08:59 PM   #21
dr335is
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solonng View Post
In 2006, the median income in boca was $66k versus the nation's median income of $48k. That seems low for boca considering the concentration of wealth in the city. so please be considerate before you start complaining about about your standard of living is deteriorating daily.
Don't be so dumb (again) -- Boca like every other city has its wealth, middle class and poor. I see beggars on the street corners every day... I see super rich.
I see the upper middle class that lives at the level of lower middle class...

I am not necessarily complaining about my lifestyle in particular, but overall -- the people I know, the average American... And seeing the trend in the last 8 years, I am coincerned about the future of my kids (if things dont take a sharp tur around...ASAP)!

That is the diference between me and some extreme "conservatives" here -- all they care is about their money and themselves, but then act as some big ass patriots by supporting Bush's crazy ideas...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #22
Solonng
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Don't be so dumb (again) -- Boca like every other city has its wealth, middle class and poor. I see beggars on the street corners every day... I see super rich.
I see the upper middle class that lives at the level of lower middle class...

I am not necessarily complaining about my lifestyle in particular, but overall -- the people I know, the average American... And seeing the trend in the last 8 years, I am coincerned about the future of my kids (if things dont take a sharp tur around...ASAP)!

That is the diference between me and some extreme "conservatives" here -- all they care is about their money and themselves, but then act as some big ass patriots by supporting Bush's crazy ideas...
ha, are you saying that some small city in ten. has the same amount of money as boca. get real! since you're claiming that you're rich, can you write me a check. i am desperately in need of it to make my car payment.. please..
Appreciate 0