E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Help needed, 2007 325D M Sport Front right side fender removal

02-08-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
Valdisimo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325d 2008

Unhappy Help needed, 2007 325D M Sport Front right side fender removal

Hi everyone,

For many hours I have searched this and many other BMW forums for a detailed DIY on how to take off e92 fender.

Most I have found are few lines saying that it is a piece of cake - only few bolts under the hood and some behind the skirting in the wheel arc, and some by the door.

I need to take it off to access windscreen washer fluid tank which is leaking.
Instead or prior to taking it to the dealer I want to see whether I can fix it myself. I hate the whole concept of - its broken, instantly replace it. Most things can be fixed first. Garages do not tend to fix but replace.

After reading that it is so easy to do I attempted to take it off, however I was unable to get it off due to 2 reasons:

1. The fender seems to be locked in place (either by a clip or a screw that I missed) near the headlight.
It definitely is not the screw that joins the bumper and the fender together.
image hosting adult
Circled in red is the approximate area where it appears to be "stuck".

2. I could neither access nor figure out how to take off the clips (or what ever they are) on the inside of the doors.
Circled in red below.
image hosting no account

I would appreciate if someone more knowledgeable than me could tell me what I am missing in the image no. 1 and how to take off the clips in the image no.2...

Last edited by Valdisimo; 02-08-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
Socket
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdisimo View Post
Hi everyone,

For many hours I have searched this and many other BMW forums for a detailed DIY on how to take off e92 fender.

Most I have found are few lines saying that it is a piece of cake - only few bolts under the hood and some behind the skirting in the wheel arc, and some by the door.

I need to take it off to access windscreen washer fluid tank which is leaking.
Instead or prior to taking it to the dealer I want to see whether I can fix it myself. I hate the whole concept of - its broken, instantly replace it. Most things can be fixed first. Garages do not tend to fix but replace.

After reading that it is so easy to do I attempted to take it off, however I was unable to get it off due to 2 reasons:

1. The fender seems to be locked in place (either by a clip or a screw that I missed) near the headlight.
It definitely is not the screw that joins the bumper and the fender together.
image hosting adult
Circled in red is the approximate area where it appears to be "stuck".

2. I could neither access nor figure out how to take off the clips (or what ever they are) on the inside of the doors.
Circled in red below.
image hosting no account

I would appreciate if someone more knowledgeable than me could tell me what I am missing in the image no. 1 and how to take off the clips in the image no.2...
You are looking at the pointy ends of the screws that are accessed from the wheel well
You need to remove the wheel, remove the lining and you should be able to see the screws inside.
You need a long socket extension and a 10mm socket (from memory) to remove the screws (there are three in total) one you can access outside with the door open (at the top) and the other two you need to access from behind the mudguard
The clips you see here cant be removed, they are what the screws, screw into from inside the mud guards

Hope this make sense
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
Socket
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i

The screws around the headlight are tricky to get to
I think there are three in total
Once again you need to remove the wheel lining
Two of the screws are in the location with the yellow circles (8mm socket from memory)
The third screw is behind the headlight assembly in the location with the red circle
The pointy edge of the guard also slides into a bracket, located with the red rectangle, so to remove the guard, you need to slide it towards the trunk

I had the same problem in finding a DIY for this
Im doing my drivers side guard on the weekend, ill take pictures and write up one up and post it here in the forum

Hope this helps
Attached Images

Last edited by Socket; 02-09-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
Valdisimo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325d 2008

Many thanks. Will have another go as soon as. Will update how it went
Appreciate 0