E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Installing the Factory E90 Alarm



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
CC 330i's Avatar DIY: Installing the Factory E90 Alarm
CC 330i
06-20-2005
I went forward with my E90 alarm install, and took some pics along the way. I would say that it is an easy install, as long as you have some mechanical confidence and experience. The "hardest" part is removing the left rear wheel to install the siren. Since our cars do not come with a...
  #286  
By cas on 12-21-2007, 10:52 AM
ok my 335 cv finally took the programming. I just want to note what I heard and possibly someone can validate it. supposedly I first needed to get the car programmed and then install the part. from reading here this doesnt seem to be. just would like to see if anyone else ran into this
Reply With Quote
  #287  
By txusa03 on 12-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas View Post
ok my 335 cv finally took the programming. I just want to note what I heard and possibly someone can validate it. supposedly I first needed to get the car programmed and then install the part. from reading here this doesnt seem to be. just would like to see if anyone else ran into this
Maybe I am still lost in the backwoods of texas but that sounds a little backward to me. how effective is it to program something (like an alarm) when it is not present (installed)? Maybe a techie could confirm but sounds like they lied to you...anyway, congrats and hope you are happy with it.
Last edited by txusa03; 12-21-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #288  
By san~man on 12-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03;1853928Oh, forgot about panic feature. Also, I read on here that there is an additional third party shock sensor you can buy which works with the e9x bmw alarm. here is the link:[url
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45815[/url]. I think shock sensor has the same concept as tilt sensor right I think we only get the cabin interior motion sensor.

When I used to work in car audio (car alarms too), this is how we catagorized the types of sensor for alarms:

Motion: detected back and forth movement of the car, or the car being jacked up to tow. These sensors usually had a small glass vial with liquid mercury inside, wrapped with a wire to resemble a coil. The movement of the mercury back/forth inside the vial would change the electric field made by the wire coil and trigger the alarm.

Shock: also known as "impact" sensors, they detected impacts to the car, usually on body panels or tires (i.e. a tow truck hitch hitting the tire in preparation to tow). These were initially made to detect impacts such as a screwdriver being punched into the doorlock to gain entry into the vehicle, or is someone parking next to you struck your car with theirs or opened their car door onto your car's body.

Ultrasonic: used to be called "microwave" sensors. These were originally designed for convertibles, so that the owner could leave the top down and still have protection from people moving their arms/bodies inside of the field of the sensor. They detect/detected "movement" (like sticking an arm inside of the car through an open window) inside of a set "field" (usually shaped like a bubble).

Hope that helped.
Reply With Quote
  #289  
By txusa03 on 12-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
When I used to work in car audio (car alarms too), this is how we catagorized the types of sensor for alarms:

Motion: detected back and forth movement of the car, or the car being jacked up to tow. These sensors usually had a small glass vial with liquid mercury inside, wrapped with a wire to resemble a coil. The movement of the mercury back/forth inside the vial would change the electric field made by the wire coil and trigger the alarm.

Shock: also known as "impact" sensors, they detected impacts to the car, usually on body panels or tires (i.e. a tow truck hitch hitting the tire in preparation to tow). These were initially made to detect impacts such as a screwdriver being punched into the doorlock to gain entry into the vehicle, or is someone parking next to you struck your car with theirs or opened their car door onto your car's body.

Ultrasonic: used to be called "microwave" sensors. These were originally designed for convertibles, so that the owner could leave the top down and still have protection from people moving their arms/bodies inside of the field of the sensor. They detect/detected "movement" (like sticking an arm inside of the car through an open window) inside of a set "field" (usually shaped like a bubble).

Hope that helped.
I know the e90 alarm has ultrasonic then
Reply With Quote
  #290  
By BimmerJoe on 12-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Installed my OEM alarm in my 2008 E93 in about 30 minutes.
Clown nose blinks but will require dealer computer update for full function.
Ordered from Tischer BMW; came w/o instructions.
I called Jason and he promptly sent me the pdf file.
I have attached as it may help someone else out
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E93ALARM.pdf (267.5 KB, 721 views)
Reply With Quote
  #291  
By veightkiller on 12-30-2007, 02:00 AM
I just installed my OEM alarm yesterday. the red light on the rearview mirror blinks but i don't know if the alarm is working or not since it doesn't make any sound at all. i haven't get the chance to get it activated i just want to know if its normal.if its not how can i test the alarm to see if it's working?
Reply With Quote
  #292  
By FrankoQ on 12-30-2007, 08:28 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by veightkiller View Post
I just installed my OEM alarm yesterday. the red light on the rearview mirror blinks but i don't know if the alarm is working or not since it doesn't make any sound at all. i haven't get the chance to get it activated i just want to know if its normal.if its not how can i test the alarm to see if it's working?
get in the car.
lock it.
keep keyfob handy.
open a door.
Alarm should go off.
Reply With Quote
  #293  
By txusa03 on 12-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankoQ View Post
get in the car.
lock it.
keep keyfob handy.
open a door.
Alarm should go off.
I dont think that works. First, you need to lock the car with the fob to set the alarm, but if you are inside the car, there is no way to open the locked door from inside.
Reply With Quote
  #294  
By slant83 on 01-09-2008, 03:27 PM
great step by step.

I did the alarm horn by jacking up the car, NOT removing the tire, removing 9 of 10 nuts/bolts (left one nut on behind tire to "hold" liner in place for easier reinstallation) and was able to fit bracket and alarm without a problem. The newer 08 e92 had the harness under the hood ready for plug and play in a snap and the dome light was a piece of cake

Thanks for the DIY...screw the stealership
Reply With Quote
  #295  
By jbimmer3 on 01-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas View Post
ok my 335 cv finally took the programming. I just want to note what I heard and possibly someone can validate it. supposedly I first needed to get the car programmed and then install the part. from reading here this doesnt seem to be. just would like to see if anyone else ran into this

My dealer just told me that too.
Reply With Quote
  #296  
By machonachos on 01-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhondas2 View Post
My dealer just told me that too.
Can anyone else confirm this?

I was about to install the alarm on my 2008 E93 this weekend and the dealer activation most likely the weekend after, but from what Bimmerjoe and jhondas2 is saying, maybe I should do it vice versa. Activate first then install.

jhondas2, did your dealer say this is for all 2008MY? or for the E93 only?
Reply With Quote
  #297  
By san~man on 01-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Most peeps in this thread have installed first, then activated.

I don't know who's right/wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #298  
By DrPowers on 01-10-2008, 04:08 PM
My dealer would only activate if the part was previously installed. That gave them the chance to insure that it was working properly.
Reply With Quote
  #299  
By ntgxtreme on 01-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the support, txusa03. What with saving up for a ring (good thing she doesn't read this forum...) and medical bills, the BMW purchase is starting to look more and more silly of me, especially with $150 alarm activations!

I'm still hunting for a fairly priced dealer in the Bay Area, CA, so anybody who reads this forum and has had some luck in that area, feel free to PM me! Thanks SO much in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #300  
By BimmerJoe on 01-10-2008, 07:38 PM
I installed first; had dealer activate about a week later when it was convenient for me.
Reply With Quote
  #301  
By txusa03 on 01-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerJoe View Post
I installed first; had dealer activate about a week later when it was convenient for me.
Where in texas and what dealer?

Oh, I got a 20% discount coupon for service in the mail from one of the local dealer. I might get the alarm activated and pull out my coupon card and say BAM!, give me my 20% discount stealership .

Let see 20% off 109 -----> 109-(109 x .20) = 87.20
Reply With Quote
  #302  
By BimmerJoe on 01-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Garlyn Shelton in Temple
Reply With Quote
  #303  
By Alexsoo on 01-12-2008, 11:30 AM
$80 to activate in bay area

Hey ntgxtreme, I got mine activated last July 07 from Concord BMW, My service adviser name is Tim Jacobsen. 925-288-3825 give him a call and setup an appointment.
Reply With Quote
  #304  
By SupraFist on 01-12-2008, 01:41 PM
hey alexsoo, how much does tim jacobsen charge for activation?
Reply With Quote
  #305  
By EINSER M on 01-16-2008, 10:05 PM
installed alarm on my 08 335. bought kit from Savage BMW, Ontario CA for 244$ + tax and installation was a breeze. kicked up the car to install the siren, installed the ultrasonic sensor inside the car, and hood switch was cake! the alarm worked right away w/ clown nose blinking (i did not disconnect battery during install). siren wouldn't work however, until dealer updated car. update was done free of charge w/ loaner from Savage BMW. everything works perfectly now with audible confirmations. the tech did say that car should be brought up to date BEFORE retrofit. didnt seem to be a big deal in the end however...
Reply With Quote
  #306  
By titusman on 02-18-2008, 12:04 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
40%40%40%
2
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
60%60%60%
3
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
5
Average 67%
thanks for the great DIY. the kit cost me $230 from Tischer took about 1 hour to install. I jacked up the driver rear and agree there was plenty of room to work and did not need to remove the rear wheel. I used a floor jack, making my own jack point adapter with a block of wood and piece of sheet aluminum as a base. I too installed components in reverse order without disconnecting the battery and the system worked immediately. the dealer activated the alarm this weekend for $148.00. A little higher then the lowest quote, but the dealer has been great since I placed my ED order last summer. Chapman BMW Camelback, Phoenix.
Reply With Quote
  #307  
By nebz on 02-18-2008, 11:54 PM
very useful info! thanks. took me 30 mins to install once i pplug the battery back in . its activated the red light starts blinkin. but still no clown noise. i guess i gotta go back to dealer!
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST