E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Installing the Factory E90 Alarm

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
CC 330i's Avatar DIY: Installing the Factory E90 Alarm
CC 330i
06-20-2005
I went forward with my E90 alarm install, and took some pics along the way. I would say that it is an easy install, as long as you have some mechanical confidence and experience. The "hardest" part is removing the left rear wheel to install the siren. Since our cars do not come with a...
By FrankoQ on 11-29-2006, 09:16 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by anolin
Many thanks to all the previous posters (especially CC 330i and FrankoQ).

I got the alarm from Chris at Circle BMW for $250 shipped and was able to do the install (without even jacking the car up or removing the wheel!) in under an hour.

Murray Motors in Denver completed the alarm activation and software de-activation of a lost key in half an hour, but the computer re-boot took over 3 additional hours!!! They only charged me $75 for the initial work, so I lost some time, but saved lots of $$$. The only other hiccup was a non-working moonroof switch, following the reboot that was easily fixed without having to return to the shop.

Thanks again, for helping me through the fist mod!
I'm glad everything worked out.
By acizek on 12-05-2006, 08:48 AM
thanks for a great DIY, I am intending to go with the OEM alarm as well. Have a question - do ALL cars come pre-wired or the US ones only? I do not have the clown nose on my rear view mirror at all now, is there any way to check if my car is pre-wired?
thanks a lot.
By gary328xi on 12-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Refer to page 21 of the car manual , it tells you how to set set the audible alert.
By s4iscool on 12-06-2006, 09:17 PM
to save a trip to the dealer on the slotted done lid, I just dremeled mine out. no probs
By s4iscool on 12-09-2006, 12:17 AM
Also, in the original DIY, the dome lid is NOT the slotted one. You can see that the pic does not have the ultrasonic slits opened up.

When taking the dome light out, instead of prying from the light (frosted cover) side, just lift from the slits side (closer to sunroof) and it will pop off very easily.

I did mine and the clown nose blinks, but nothing else works. So ill see what the software does.

Thanks for the original post! hardest part was prying the damn wheel off the hub, which had seized on...why can BMW and other germans use STUDS.
Last edited by s4iscool; 12-09-2006 at 01:21 AM.
By Ascension on 12-09-2006, 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC 330i
Thank you. It's a little scary doing it yourself sometimes, but I do find it is very rewarding, and you learn a lot more about your car. You just have to be careful and go SLOWLY, and don't be afraid to ask questions. This is my first new car, so I am a little apprehensive doing anything to it, though.

I don't fault anyone for having the work done at the dealer, of course. But it's like I tell my wife, I have a hard time paying for things that I can do myself, even if I don't always have the time. When it comes to my BMW, I can barely even stand to let the dealers touch it. I know that since our cars are so new, very few BMW techs have even had a chance to work on one themselves. Of course they are experienced with other BMWs so they have a huge head start on us.

On a side note, when I had the rear wheel off, I noticed that I did have a nail (suspected this due to very slow leak) in the tire (in the first 1300 miles!). So it was off to the tire shop to have a qualified tech fix the punture. I would never try something like that on my own, but for things like pedals, the alarm, and the wheel stud locks, I think most people could do them on their own if they have some experience working on cars.
CC330i..............EXCELLENT write-up. 10 out of 10. By the way, if you're ever in No Ca., you're more than welcome to install my alarm
By Pink on 12-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension
CC330i..............EXCELLENT write-up. 10 out of 10. By the way, if you're ever in No Ca., you're more than welcome to install my alarm
I second that, for NY Seriously, I think I am going to have the dealer install my alarm - if they don't charge too much!
By s4iscool on 12-09-2006, 04:10 PM
just do it yourself, its so easy. Like its been posted, getting the wheel off is the hardest...esp if its seized to the hub, which most likely it is.
By gary328xi on 12-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Thank you all for all the info. I purchased the alarm from Circle Bmw $232.00 and the installation was a breeze. It took me about 30 mins .Anyone in NJ/NYC area who needs help with the installation just PM me..........
By s4iscool on 12-12-2006, 10:05 PM
im going in for the alarm software tomorrow, but I also need to have some of the recall software updates loaded to my pre sept car. Do you think I should not even mention the alarm and see if it will recognize it automatically? Or is there a speicif seperate alarm software that has to be uploaded seperately?
By youyou on 12-13-2006, 05:59 AM
Hi,
Well i want to do this insatll but just have a few questions nad hopeully someone might know the answers...
First off i checked with my local Bmw parts depart. and it's the same part # for the E92. So good news as it will work on the E92.
Now i am wondering if it will work with comfort access?
Forgot to ask the Parts Depart. guy...
And lastly how does the audible chirp sound?
Does it sound like the audible chirp from an E60 5 series or is basically just your horn chirping...
I think the sound of the E60 chirp when looking the doors sounds "luxurious" and just the sound of your horn beeping sounds cheap to me...
Call me crazy but that's just my opinion.
Last edited by youyou; 12-13-2006 at 06:31 PM.
By FrankoQ on 12-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by youyou
Hi,
Well i want to do this insatll but just have a few questions nad hopeully someone might know the answers...
First off i checked with my local Bmw parts depart. and it's the same part # for the E92. So good news as it will work on the E92.
Now i am wondering if it will work with comfort access?
Forgot to ask the Parts Depart. guy...
And lastly how does the audible chirp sound?
Does it sound like the audible chirp from an E60 5 series or is basically just your horn chirping...
I think the sound of the E60 chirp when looking the doors sounds "luxurious" and just the just of your horn beeping sounds cheap to me...
Call me crazy but that's just my opinion.
And
It does not sound like the horn.
Sounds like previous BMWs alarms. one beep for arming it, two beeps for disarming.
By DrPowers on 12-14-2006, 10:39 AM
What sound does the alarm make when you arm / disarm it????

I've installed mine and I've had it activated but it makes a beep sound rather than the chirp sound that I was expecting. Is this the correct behavior?

If so... what does the actual alarm itself sound like?? I cant figure out how to get it go off on purpose.
By SoYank on 12-14-2006, 11:33 AM
Try arming it, wait a couple of minutes, then unlock the door with the key instead of the remote.
By s4iscool on 12-14-2006, 04:22 PM
yes its a beep, same you hear on lexus...its a nice beep imo.
"Chirp" to me would decribe the old school viper alarms
By vAnt826 on 12-20-2006, 03:30 PM
E92 guys.

We're lucky.

I'm doing the install as we speak (for two E92s) and we are just slightly different.

We don't need a prying tool, spatuala, etc. to remove the rear dome. Just use your fingers and it literally pops off with very little force (In fact too little, makes me scared that it can just fall off during a hard bump. Easy to remove on two different E92s). No one mentioned it to me but that plug to take out of the rear dome plug holder is a BITCH!

We do not need to remove that brake resoirvor cover, it's already been taken out and lined up to that star pattern screw in hole. Make sure not to try and take the plug out of the actual hood switch, but the plug on the connector on the car. I tried and unfortunetely succeeded taking out the actual hood switch plug and it was a big mistake.

I'm still trying to install the siren, need to figure out how to jack up the car safely.
By vAnt826 on 12-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Just got done putting the siren in.

I jacked the car up with a regular jack and used ALOT of towels because I couldn't find an object shaped like a box to fit into the jacking point. I didn't take the rear wheel off and it was better for me to have the wheel there to rest my elbows on while playing with the screws up there. I left the felt fender lining on the wheel to have a clean resting surface. I'm not sure why, but it is much easier to put the left (front of car) screw first then the rear screw when attatching the actual siren to the car.

Time for activation now!
By poldim on 12-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4iscool
yes its a beep, same you hear on lexus...its a nice beep imo.
"Chirp" to me would decribe the old school viper alarms
Kinda of sad how my mom's new ES350 comes with an alarm and beeps from the factory.

But there is no replacement for the handling...
By poldim on 12-23-2006, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPowers
What sound does the alarm make when you arm / disarm it????

I've installed mine and I've had it activated but it makes a beep sound rather than the chirp sound that I was expecting. Is this the correct behavior?

If so... what does the actual alarm itself sound like?? I cant figure out how to get it go off on purpose.

Hold the trunk button for 3 seconds, it activates the panic mode where the siren goes stupid...
By s4iscool on 12-24-2006, 08:21 AM
and you need the software from the dealer to make the siren go off, at least on mine it was like that.

And to the E92 owner posting on the dome light cover...the E90 just pops off from the rear forward area as well. There is no need to pry on the rear (frosted side). Takes 2 seconds to take the dome light cover off.
By DownInLA on 01-04-2007, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vAnt826
E92 guys.

We're lucky.

I'm doing the install as we speak (for two E92s) and we are just slightly different.

We don't need a prying tool, spatuala, etc. to remove the rear dome. Just use your fingers and it literally pops off with very little force (In fact too little, makes me scared that it can just fall off during a hard bump. Easy to remove on two different E92s). No one mentioned it to me but that plug to take out of the rear dome plug holder is a BITCH!

We do not need to remove that brake resoirvor cover, it's already been taken out and lined up to that star pattern screw in hole. Make sure not to try and take the plug out of the actual hood switch, but the plug on the connector on the car. I tried and unfortunetely succeeded taking out the actual hood switch plug and it was a big mistake.

I'm still trying to install the siren, need to figure out how to jack up the car safely.
Apparently we're very UNLUCKY. I agree the installation on my 335i was more simple (took me bout 20 minutes). My clown nose blinks, but of course the panic, motion, hood etc. doesn't work.

However, my dealer wants $180 for the activation! I told them a member paid only $50 for their activation and the SA tells me that the 335i is more complicated (its iDrive is based on the current 5-series and 7-series) than the previous E90s and requires two hours for a software download. That's highway robbery! It's not like the tech has to stare at my car for two hours during the download!

Just out of principle I can't bring myself to pay someone for two hours of labor to stare at a computer screen while a software is being downloaded.

Any recommendations on more sensible dealers in Socal or anywhere else (I could use the vacation ) would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
By vAnt826 on 01-04-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm still trying to figure out where I can get my siren activated without paying $600...
Comment