E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 Servicing - What, How, When?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
41
Rep
3,573
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche 944
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Derbyshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
E90 Servicing - What, How, When?

I'm sure you are all getting fed up of my questions now, sorry about this I just want to make sure I get the right car!

Servicing on an E90 320d

What is done on the different services? Is there a running in period and running in service?

How do I get the car serviced to stay within my warranty? Does it have to be done at BMW or can someone I know (a Classic MG Specialist) carry out servicing so long as genuine parts are used? Or do they need to be looked at by someone who has knowledge of diagnostics and relevant systems?

When are the servicing intervals for a 320d?
__________________
"FIRE UP THA PORRSCHAAH" - The 80's are back!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Carrera RSR
Colonel
Carrera RSR's Avatar
England
36
Rep
2,938
Posts

 
Drives: E61 M Sport + 924 Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Location: Location:

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
I'm sure you are all getting fed up of my questions now, sorry about this I just want to make sure I get the right car!

Servicing on an E90 320d

What is done on the different services? Is there a running in period and running in service?

How do I get the car serviced to stay within my warranty? Does it have to be done at BMW or can someone I know (a Classic MG Specialist) carry out servicing so long as genuine parts are used? Or do they need to be looked at by someone who has knowledge of diagnostics and relevant systems?

When are the servicing intervals for a 320d?
My first sevice was at 22k miles dictated by the car. The service intervals are set by the car and driving style. Someone here could probably give us a full run down of what and when. At 45,000 miles I had two oil changes and a 'car check' paid for by my lease company so no idea of costs.

BMW sell 3 and 5 year service and maintenance deals with the car eg. 3yrs/36,000 miles from 415 to 900. 5 yrs/60,000 miles from 635 to 1,455.

Details at the back of the pricelist

Another negotiating tool.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
41
Rep
3,573
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche 944
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Derbyshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Rightie-o, I now want nice back lights (do they have a name? sounds a bit stupid saying that!), carbon rear spoiler, I love that really finishes the car off and a 3 year service pack! Plus a discount

Not really wanting BMW to carry out the services after they dented my E46 Coupe, they "repaired" it though I could still tell were it had been done, their responce was more or less "it's a 6 year old car, get over it!"
__________________
"FIRE UP THA PORRSCHAAH" - The 80's are back!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
AlanQS
Colonel
AlanQS's Avatar
Scotland
25
Rep
2,525
Posts

 
Drives: 320d SE Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I was going to buy the 36k, 3 year service pack for 415 until I did my sums. If the first service was round about the 21k mark and the next service interval was about the same, you'd only ever get one service and you would have paid 415 up front for one oil change service which would normally cost around 200! Some bargain! Can anyone spell C-O-N ?

I was assured by my stealer that BMW will usually authorise the 2nd service - a customer recently got his 2nd service even though the car said 5,000 miles until next service (when the car had done 36k) so he told me I shouldn't worry about it. I asked him to put it in writing - naw, of course not.

It's a rip-off - at least for 2 litre diesel engines anyway.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
Carrera RSR
Colonel
Carrera RSR's Avatar
England
36
Rep
2,938
Posts

 
Drives: E61 M Sport + 924 Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Location: Location:

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
I was going to buy the 36k, 3 year service pack for 415 until I did my sums. If the first service was round about the 21k mark and the next service interval was about the same, you'd only ever get one service and you would have paid 415 up front for one oil change service which would normally cost around 200! Some bargain! Can anyone spell C-O-N ?

I was assured by my stealer that BMW will usually authorise the 2nd service - a customer recently got his 2nd service even though the car said 5,000 miles until next service (when the car had done 36k) so he told me I shouldn't worry about it. I asked him to put it in writing - naw, of course not.

It's a rip-off - at least for 2 litre diesel engines anyway.
Good point. My lease includes full maintenance so unaware of costs
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 01:48 AM   #6
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
I'm sure you are all getting fed up of my questions now, sorry about this I just want to make sure I get the right car!

Servicing on an E90 320d

What is done on the different services? Is there a running in period and running in service?

How do I get the car serviced to stay within my warranty? Does it have to be done at BMW or can someone I know (a Classic MG Specialist) carry out servicing so long as genuine parts are used? Or do they need to be looked at by someone who has knowledge of diagnostics and relevant systems?

When are the servicing intervals for a 320d?
As the others have said, the service interval is quite large and variable according to driving style.

You will really need to go with BMW or with an independant who has the latest BMW kit.

The rear lights are called blacklines and you can get them on EBAY.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 02:00 AM   #7
xenon
Major General
xenon's Avatar
England
73
Rep
5,036
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coventry

iTrader: (0)

From a point of view of maintaining the warranty you are under no obligation to have the car serviced at a franchised dealers as long as approved oils and genuine parts are used. The extended service intervals are a marketing ploy aimed at big fleets where servicing is a big expense, to the detriment of future owners. Running a car (especially a turbocharged one) for 20000 miles on the same oil as the engine had in from new is madness. Mine will receive at least one interim oil change which I shall do myself.
__________________
Ian
Current: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, Professional Media, Visibility Pack, Reversing Camera, DAB
Previous: 2011 F10 520d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 02:07 AM   #8
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
The extended service intervals are a marketing ploy aimed at big fleets where servicing is a big expense, to the detriment of future owners. Running a car (especially a turbocharged one) for 20000 miles on the same oil as the engine had in from new is madness.
I actually think the extended servicing is as much about convenience for the driver. If you are racking up 40K miles a year the last thing you want to do is go to the dealers every 10K miles for a service.

As to the a 20K service interval, I honestly don't see a problem. I've had a couple of 320d coupes in the past and I ran one of them up to 80K miles with no problem at all and 20-25K service intervals. The key is that the modern synthetic oils used today are simply longer lasting.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 02:09 AM   #9
xenon
Major General
xenon's Avatar
England
73
Rep
5,036
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coventry

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
The key is that the modern synthetic oils used today are simply longer lasting.
Indeed they are - but I wouldn't run oil for that long.
__________________
Ian
Current: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, Professional Media, Visibility Pack, Reversing Camera, DAB
Previous: 2011 F10 520d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 03:29 AM   #10
booforty
Major General
booforty's Avatar
United Kingdom
130
Rep
8,813
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Porscha! Quick question - if you hadn't come along to UK5 and met us all do you think you would still be purchasing an E90? How much of an influence has the forum been to your decision?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 03:50 AM   #11
Budgie
Major
England
14
Rep
1,326
Posts

 
Drives: Soon to be a .....
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: BEDS/CAMBS

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Funny you say this ....i found this forum and was reading and got far more info about the 3 series than any other way or form.I was actually gonna buy a E90 335d but then the boss capped vehicles by the co2 and then buy the amount of mpg as we buy the car and he supplies the juice.

In the end i decided through this forum to buy a E92 coupe instead but have a smaller engine thus conforming to HRH mpg and co2 plan....but i can honestly say that the forum and its choice,views and picture/video gallery made my mind up.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 04:39 AM   #12
gr4z
Lieutenant
gr4z's Avatar
United Kingdom
9
Rep
448
Posts

 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport Plus
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lincs

iTrader: (0)

I bought my E92 Coupe on BMW Finance and the dealer has insisted I get it serviced by BMW to guarantee the future value. Are they allowed to do this? Isnt this illegal now? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 04:44 AM   #13
xenon
Major General
xenon's Avatar
England
73
Rep
5,036
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coventry

iTrader: (0)

It is illegal for them to invalidate the warranty if you have it serviced elsewhere (European anti-trust law). It says as much in the warranty & servicing handbook. As far as finance is concerned, BMW could put a condition in the terms & conditions of the finance which says the future guaranteed resale value is dependant on franchised dealer servicing, a condition that you have accepted.

In practice I think it would be difficult to enforce for exactly the same reasons as the warranty issue.
__________________
Ian
Current: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, Professional Media, Visibility Pack, Reversing Camera, DAB
Previous: 2011 F10 520d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 04:46 AM   #14
3_toed_tree_sloth
Private First Class
3_toed_tree_sloth's Avatar
1
Rep
199
Posts

 
Drives: ZiL-41047
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cheshire

iTrader: (0)

Nothing wrong with recommending it but "insisting" is deliberately misrepresenting the situation. Again, a dealer undermining the BMW marque and it's perceived position as a premium and quality brand.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 04:48 AM   #15
gr4z
Lieutenant
gr4z's Avatar
United Kingdom
9
Rep
448
Posts

 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport Plus
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lincs

iTrader: (0)

Mmmm, I guess the dealer can make up an excuse in 2 or 3 years time if I didnt get it serviced by them they can reduce the future value price they give me for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 04:51 AM   #16
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
41
Rep
3,573
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche 944
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Derbyshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by booforty View Post
Porscha! Quick question - if you hadn't come along to UK5 and met us all do you think you would still be purchasing an E90? How much of an influence has the forum been to your decision?
Honestly not much at all.

The complusory requirements are new and diesel.

My requirements are RWD and erm looks nice lol!

So I couldn't have bought another Boxster and paid the extra myself, I couldn't have a Z4 or a new Caterham due to the diesel restriction sports cars are out.

For the budget it left me with - BMW 123d Coupe (too small ) BMW 320d , BMW 520d (perhaps too big and a little slow? Though I am still thinking about that one as it's cheaper than the three believe it or not) or a Mercedes C Class and I'm more of a BMW fan than a Mercedes one, actually I've had a few BMWs and like them.

Had I not known about this forum, I would have bought an E92 320d in White with Coral leather a sunroof and no other options.

Due to this forum and certain members I have been persuaded that Bluetooth and SatNav are good options to have therefor am going for the E90 Edition in Carbon Black with Lemon Leather, I think!
__________________
"FIRE UP THA PORRSCHAAH" - The 80's are back!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 07:18 AM   #17
booforty
Major General
booforty's Avatar
United Kingdom
130
Rep
8,813
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
Due to this forum and certain members I have been persuaded that Bluetooth and SatNav are good options to have therefor am going for the E90 Edition in Carbon Black with Lemon Leather, I think!
Good choice!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #18
mgarvey
Lieutenant
mgarvey's Avatar
United Kingdom
8
Rep
493
Posts

 
Drives: F30 318d Sport
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Reading

iTrader: (0)

Be wary with condition based servicing that you could end up having some fairly close together services if your mileage and car's age don't 'match'.

For example, I do 18k-20k miles per year, and both last year and now this year I'm in a position where the mileage dictates a service in May/June and I have a time-based service (for brake fluid I think) in August.

Will they do both services at once so I don't have to have services 6-8 weeks apart and come back twice? Will they heck - 'computer says it doesn't need it yet sir'. Very annoying and possibly the most irritating thing about BMW's aftersales service so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #19
3_toed_tree_sloth
Private First Class
3_toed_tree_sloth's Avatar
1
Rep
199
Posts

 
Drives: ZiL-41047
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cheshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarvey View Post
Be wary with condition based servicing that you could end up having some fairly close together services if your mileage and car's age don't 'match'.

For example, I do 18k-20k miles per year, and both last year and now this year I'm in a position where the mileage dictates a service in May/June and I have a time-based service (for brake fluid I think) in August.

Will they do both services at once so I don't have to have services 6-8 weeks apart and come back twice? Will they heck - 'computer says it doesn't need it yet sir'. Very annoying and possibly the most irritating thing about BMW's aftersales service so far.
Then you instruct them to change it earlier, you are the customer, they do it to your convenience, not theirs.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #20
SoYank
Major General
SoYank's Avatar
United_States
88
Rep
7,504
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brighton, Colorado

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarvey View Post
Be wary with condition based servicing that you could end up having some fairly close together services if your mileage and car's age don't 'match'.

For example, I do 18k-20k miles per year, and both last year and now this year I'm in a position where the mileage dictates a service in May/June and I have a time-based service (for brake fluid I think) in August.

Will they do both services at once so I don't have to have services 6-8 weeks apart and come back twice? Will they heck - 'computer says it doesn't need it yet sir'. Very annoying and possibly the most irritating thing about BMW's aftersales service so far.
I had two services come up, the oil change (mileage based) and the micro filter (timed). When I had the oil change performed the SA had the filter done as well even though it had another 5 weeks.
__________________
2009 E90 335i Montego Blue Black Leather Burl Walnut 6MT US Spec
SatNav ZPP ZCW 6FL TPMS iDrive PDC HWS Xenons BMW Assist Power Rear Sunshade Logic 7
European Taillights Rear Foglamp OEM Alarm PicoTray DataToys XM-DVR Multi-view Processor
Quaife ATB LSD Short Shift Knob Hartge Anti-Roll Bars AP Racing Front Brakes 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 08:27 PM   #21
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
2
Rep
241
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newbury, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4z View Post
I bought my E92 Coupe on BMW Finance and the dealer has insisted I get it serviced by BMW to guarantee the future value. Are they allowed to do this? Isnt this illegal now? Thanks
If the finance is based on an estimated future value then that will be affected if the car does not have a full main dealer service history. I expect it's it's in the small print of the agreement which was signed, and entirely legal. Perhaps they would have agreed to foregoing main dealer service history if you had agreed to a higher monthly payment to compensate for the loss of future value. I doubt it though. Who would buy a two or three year old car without main dealer history?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST