E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Your taxes

View Poll Results: Who would cost you more in taxes?
John McCain 8 33.33%
Barack Obama 11 45.83%
no difference 4 16.67%
this just can't be right 2 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

06-12-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Your taxes

BREAKING DOWN THE NUMBERS
Attached Images

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
      06-12-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
TurboFan
Ski bum

Drives: sideways

I'd like to see the same chart with two additional columns - What each catagory would pay in taxes under each candidate. These figures showing one group receiving a larger reduction than another skews the reality that high end earners are paying far more to begin with.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
      06-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
scottwww
Brigadier General

Here are some related questions:

How would the average government payout to entitlements and any other benefits change in each of these brackets if John McCain's or Barack Obama's proposals were fully in place?

How much total money does the typical taxpayer in each of these brackets currently pay in taxes?

How much is the burden in state and local taxes for each of these brackets?

06-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
LuisSF
Major

Drives: '13 128i 6mt m-sport

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
The problem with the "Over 2.9M" category is that it includes the super-millionaires and billionaires who highly influence that average.

We should also ask what benefits society will see with a more healthful population and better education and public infrastructure. We've all seen what tax cuts for those high earners and war spending gets us.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...future+classic
      06-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
flyinb501
Lieutenant

Drives: G35 Coupe, Dodge Ram

How is this even a poll? 95% of ppl will pay more taxes under Obama than under McCain. Obama will end the Bush tax cuts, double capital gains taxes, and has plans for over 1 Trillion in new spending.
      06-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinb501 View Post
How is this even a poll? 95% of ppl will pay more taxes under Obama than under McCain. Obama will end the Bush tax cuts, double capital gains taxes, and has plans for over 1 Trillion in new spending.
95% people make over $112k in the US???
Are you reading what you type???

We're talking income, not capital gains, and your projections of $1T vs. what happened in the last 8 years are as empty as it gets...

EDIT: Honestly, according to the chart in OP, my family will be taxed more under Obama. If that were the only thing to consider while voting, Obama would have no chance. Unfortunately in a financially drained country, the only way to get back on the right path is to tax more. Hopefully, that will produce positive things on other ends...
      06-12-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
e90im
Brigadier General

Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
From the analysis:
I. How we did our analysis
"One of the challenges facing anyone who wants to estimate the effects of candidates’ tax plans is that no one—not even inside the campaigns—knows exactly what the proposals are. Stump speeches and campaign white papers are often short on the technical details needed to analyze the proposals fully. In addition, the candidates’ plans are often works-in-progress that change during the course of a campaign. "

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is online now   United_States
      06-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
From the analysis:
I. How we did our analysis
"One of the challenges facing anyone who wants to estimate the effects of candidates’ tax plans is that no one—not even inside the campaigns—knows exactly what the proposals are. Stump speeches and campaign white papers are often short on the technical details needed to analyze the proposals fully. In addition, the candidates’ plans are often works-in-progress that change during the course of a campaign. "
That's a true thing. Additionally, a president can make proposals all they want, but all bill start in congress.

Also, I wonder if the study took into account the effects on the economy of the different proposals. Likely not, since the thing is a projection to 2009. Any change even if fully implemented would not have it's full effect for years.

06-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #9
vAnt826
Major

Drives: E92 M3

Any logical idiot would see that under Obama's plan the rich would be taxed more and the poor will receive more relief. Starting at $112k is when McCain starts to lead in tax breaks, a number I really don't care for.

Quote:
Maybe you should read a little bit better.
      06-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
Solonng
Captain

Drives: Monacco Blue 335i coupe

Osama!
      06-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #11
e90im
Brigadier General

Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solonng View Post
Osama!
Osama is alive and well after killing 3k of our people. Bush's needlessly sent 4k more to death and FAILED to get OSAMA!

But, he's not important anymore, is he? Lets just pretend that US senator from Illinois is the terrorist.

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is online now   United_States
      06-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #12
!Xoible
Banned

Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
if i pay taxes i'd rather see that money somewhere. with republicans im not seeing that money except in iraqi death tolls, and ridiculously increasing gas prices as well as a very fatigue state infrastructure and very expensive public education.

i want my money back
!Xoible is offline   United_States
      06-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #13
ganeil
Colonel

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
if i pay taxes i'd rather see that money somewhere. with republicans im not seeing that money except in iraqi death tolls, and ridiculously increasing gas prices as well as a very fatigue state infrastructure and very expensive public education.

i want my money back
Psst... the federal government is generally not the level of government responsible for either your state's infrastructure or your local schools.

Do they not teach Civics anymore?

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
      06-13-2008, 01:27 PM   #14
dr335is
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
Psst... the federal government is generally not the level of government responsible for either your state's infrastructure or your local schools.

Wrong again...
THe State infrastructure and state schools do get Gov't grants and federal government help.
So do the students attending those schools...

All that is scaled back due to some other "unexpected" expenses...
      06-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #15
!Xoible
Banned

Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post

if fed sucks all the money to go to war, state has no money to fix shit.

again u always post like a fucking moron. why cant u be respectful to people when u instigate on this forum? u such a fucking idiot man. redfuckingneck
!Xoible is offline   United_States
      06-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #16
ganeil
Colonel

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
if fed sucks all the money to go to war, state has no money to fix shit.

again u always post like a fucking moron. why cant u be respectful to people when u instigate on this forum? u such a fucking idiot man. redfuckingneck
The war has sucked up all the money? Here is a question for you, as a percentage of GDP, how much has the Iraq War cost the US?

Does your state's income tax rates and property tax rate fluctuate according to how much the federal tax rate is?

Since your last post indicated CA schools no longer teach civics, this one indicates math and logic are also no longer offered.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
      06-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #17
flyinb501
Lieutenant

Drives: G35 Coupe, Dodge Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
95% people make over $112k in the US???
Are you reading what you type???

We're talking income, not capital gains, and your projections of $1T vs. what happened in the last 8 years are as empty as it gets...

EDIT: Honestly, according to the chart in OP, my family will be taxed more under Obama. If that were the only thing to consider while voting, Obama would have no chance. Unfortunately in a financially drained country, the only way to get back on the right path is to tax more. Hopefully, that will produce positive things on other ends...

Raising taxes will only hurt our economy. I don't think these numbers hold much truth. Do they even factor the Bush tax cuts? The Bush tax cuts apply to everyone, and Obama will be getting rid of them.
      06-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #18
FirstClass
Brigadier General

Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vAnt826 View Post
Any logical idiot would see that under Obama's plan the rich would be taxed more and the poor will receive more relief. Starting at $112k is when McCain starts to lead in tax breaks, a number I really don't care for.
What I like is that McCain would decrease everyone's taxes, not decrease taxes for the lower income brackets and tell those who are successful aka worked harder (in most cases it's true, luck plays a role, but income is generally proportional to work ethic) to fuck off like Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
      06-13-2008, 04:16 PM   #19
FirstClass
Brigadier General

Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
Wrong again...
THe State infrastructure and state schools do get Gov't grants and federal government help.
So do the students attending those schools...

All that is scaled back due to some other "unexpected" expenses...
Why should local schools be getting federal money? This is a case of an overly large federal government. Colleges are one thing, since they do research and draw a national enrollment, but local K-12 education should not be financed by the federal government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
      06-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #20
Solonng
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
Osama is alive and well after killing 3k of our people. Bush's needlessly sent 4k more to death and FAILED to get OSAMA!

But, he's not important anymore, is he? Lets just pretend that US senator from Illinois is the terrorist.
theres no pretending, they're related!
      06-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #21
Solonng
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinb501 View Post
Raising taxes will only hurt our economy. I don't think these numbers hold much truth. Do they even factor the Bush tax cuts? The Bush tax cuts apply to everyone, and Obama will be getting rid of them.
Amen, please people-google the Laffer curve!
      06-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #22
dr335is
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
What I like is that McCain would decrease everyone's taxes, not decrease taxes for the lower income brackets and tell those who are successful aka worked harder (in most cases it's true, luck plays a role, but income is generally proportional to work ethic) to fuck off like Obama.
You are either a complete idiot or a spoiled mama's kid...
Grow up