E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Intake Pipe and Oil

06-20-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
fuzzy123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Intake Pipe and Oil

So, today we just installed the a synapse BOV on my car, and there was a good bit of oil on the inside of the intake piping. How much is normal? Should I get an oil catch can?
GIAC Stage 1 Flash| Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Bootlid | KW Variant 2 | RPI Scoops | BMS DCI | Eisenmann Race | Synapse BOV | 35% Tint | Aero Lip | 6000K HID Headlights & Fogs | PIAA Angel Eyes | Clear Bra | RR Catch Can
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 02:12 AM   #2
Adam@Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Blue BMW M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy123 View Post
So, today we just installed the a synapse BOV on my car, and there was a good bit of oil on the inside of the intake piping. How much is normal? Should I get an oil catch can?
Yes,

The oil will continue to go into your pipes without a catch can. Blow by along with debris goes through those pipes and into the actual turbos. The performance gets hindered with a large amount of oil in the track. There are still some non-believers that the catch can helps the car. Everybody should do a test and take the intake pipe off. Just feel the inside of the pipe and feel the oil residue. Cleaner cars run better!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
fast_lap28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Montego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Riss Racing View Post
Yes,

The oil will continue to go into your pipes without a catch can. Blow by along with debris goes through those pipes and into the actual turbos. The performance gets hindered with a large amount of oil in the track. There are still some non-believers that the catch can helps the car. Everybody should do a test and take the intake pipe off. Just feel the inside of the pipe and feel the oil residue. Cleaner cars run better!

this is true, once I installed my Forge DV's I also noticed that the intake track is starting to build with some oil (should've seen the pipes on my A4 back in the day!)....I can def see how catch can will help minimize and/or control the amount it accumulates.

however, with this said, what can be recommended to actually clean the entire blow by track from this residue? on the A4 I used Seafoam via the vaccum.

would this be recommended on this car or avoid? I would like to consider the catch can if I can get the track cleaned prior to install.
Appreciate 0