Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

  E90Post
 


TireRack

   PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Track Setup - 335i e90



Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.
 
TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %
                     
Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-29-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
JF
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 07 335i e90 ZSP,ZPP,CA,MB
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)

Track Setup - 335i e90

Hi,

I track my e90 335i ZSP and want to buy a set of dedicated wheels and tires. I'm currently considering putting 245 X 45 X 17 to 4 corners (40mm offset).

Will 245s fit the front without rubbing?

The kit I'm considering:

Wheels: Kosei K1 - 17 X 8.5
Tires: Falken Azenis RT-615 - 245 X 45 X 17

Anyone has experience with a similar kit?

Thanks,
JF
JF is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
l4wr3nc3
The Law.
 
l4wr3nc3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rowland Heights, CA

Posts: 14,279
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via AIM to l4wr3nc3
Cant comment on the actual setup for E90's but i would suggest you stay away from RT615's if you plan on tracking. They are great tires for autocross because they heat up quick and grip like hell. But they get greasy VERY easily and once some heat gets into them, you'll be sliding everywhere. I know the price vs performance of the Azenis makes it very attractive but dont skimp out on tires. My friend went with Azenis to track and he ended up selling them the day after the event. Once they get too much heat in them and get greasy, the tires are down right dangerous.
__________________

2008 Lotus Exige S240 | 2007 BMW 335i
l4wr3nc3 is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
wushuhsu
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW 335i Sports Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: California

Posts: 155
iTrader: (0)

What about Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec on the track? They're also supposed to heat up quickly for autocrossses. Does anyone have any experience with them on the track?
wushuhsu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
l4wr3nc3
The Law.
 
l4wr3nc3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rowland Heights, CA

Posts: 14,279
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via AIM to l4wr3nc3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuhsu View Post
What about Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec on the track? They're also supposed to heat up quickly for autocrossses. Does anyone have any experience with them on the track?
No personal experience for them, but the reviews have been awesome for those tires. Excellent grip, good traction in wet conditions, treadwear is not too bad either so you can drive it to and from the track, easy to control at the limit and its very responsive. These are all just things ive heard from people that have personally run them.

Those will probably be my next choice in tires once i kill off my Kumhos.
__________________

2008 Lotus Exige S240 | 2007 BMW 335i
l4wr3nc3 is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2008, 11:37 PM   #5
JF
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 07 335i e90 ZSP,ZPP,CA,MB
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
Cant comment on the actual setup for E90's but i would suggest you stay away from RT615's if you plan on tracking. They are great tires for autocross because they heat up quick and grip like hell. But they get greasy VERY easily and once some heat gets into them, you'll be sliding everywhere. I know the price vs performance of the Azenis makes it very attractive but dont skimp out on tires. My friend went with Azenis to track and he ended up selling them the day after the event. Once they get too much heat in them and get greasy, the tires are down right dangerous.
Thanks for your comment.

I heard that this problem may be caused by over inflating the tires. I think you need to keep them near 30 PSI hot.

Have you heard better feedback about the Hankook Ventus R-S2?
JF is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2008, 11:38 PM   #6
JF
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 07 335i e90 ZSP,ZPP,CA,MB
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuhsu View Post
What about Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec on the track? They're also supposed to heat up quickly for autocrossses. Does anyone have any experience with them on the track?
Thanks for this recommendation.
JF is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2008, 11:39 PM   #7
l4wr3nc3
The Law.
 
l4wr3nc3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rowland Heights, CA

Posts: 14,279
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via AIM to l4wr3nc3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF View Post
Thanks for your comment.

I heard that this problem may be caused by over inflating the tires. I think you need to keep them near 30 PSI hot.

Have you heard better feedback about the Hankook Ventus R-S2?
Everyone i've known that ran the Azenis had the same problem of them greasing up way too fast so take it for what its worth.

Ventus R-S2 is supposedly a great tire for track. I've seen a alot of reviews comparing them to Bridgestone S0-3's for a fraction of the cost. I know its very popular with the s2000 crowd.
__________________

2008 Lotus Exige S240 | 2007 BMW 335i
l4wr3nc3 is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2008, 12:20 AM   #8
JF
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 07 335i e90 ZSP,ZPP,CA,MB
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
Everyone i've known that ran the Azenis had the same problem of them greasing up way too fast so take it for what its worth.

Ventus R-S2 is supposedly a great tire for track. I've seen a alot of reviews comparing them to Bridgestone S0-3's for a fraction of the cost. I know its very popular with the s2000 crowd.
OK. It would probably be between the Hankook and Dunlop then. I'll read more about them. Thanks!

Anyone can confirm that 245s will not touch the fender or suspension at the front corners under full load?

In the meantime, here's a picture of me and my e90 at the track with OEM tires...

JF
Attached Images
 
JF is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #9
JF
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 07 335i e90 ZSP,ZPP,CA,MB
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)

I called Tire Rack and they confirmed that 245s will not rub in the front but this is the limit for stock suspension.

I ordered the Hankook Ventus R-S2 mounted on the Kosei K1 Racing.

Thanks for your help guys!
JF
JF is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST