E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M Sport Harsh Ride - I've not gone mad!!!

07-14-2008, 10:57 AM   #23
alcook
Captain

Drives: F30 330D M Sport

Garage List
What checks apart from a pressure check did they actually do?

Did they check the struts, springs etc? Are the struts oil or air filled?
alcook is offline   United Kingdom
      07-14-2008, 10:58 AM   #24
gIzzE
Major General

Drives: E350 cdi Estate.

What tyres have you got on yours and what tyres were on the car that felt better??
      07-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #25
rogerxp
Major General

Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
I've got Bridgestone RFTs on mine and I must admit I forgot to check what was on the one I drove today (doh!!!) however I presume they were also Bridgestones. It was an 08 car and, as far as I'm concerned, Beemers roll away from the factory on them.

The car I drove back-to-back with the other week was on Bridgestones.

Edit - just checked, they were Bridgestones. Forgot I'd taken a photos of the nice alloys so zoomed in - God bless 5mp camera phones!!!

Alcook - I didn't actually ask what they'd done as, to be honest, it would be double-dutch to me. They assured me that they'd checked everything however I reckon it was more of a visual & basic check. I'll take it back and do the wheel change as suggested as that will at least narrow the options.

I'm coming round to the idea that it's simply the tyres combined with a 'loosened' 2 year old car. The new one I drove today, and the one from the other week, just felt so much more 'together'. No rattles or shakes, just solid, but obviously it's the rough road surface transmitting through my chassis that make mine feel a little loose.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
rogerxp is offline   United Kingdom
      07-15-2008, 03:53 AM   #26
gIzzE
Major General

Drives: E350 cdi Estate.

If you have been driving round on first gen run flats for 2 years I would get your bushes looked at, specially the rear trailing arms and the front wishbones, they are probably shagged, seen a few 5 series with bushes that are shot to bits and there are a few with cracked suspension parts, all thought to be the cause of run flats.

You are just delaying the inevitable really, you could just put on 4 x Falken FK452's for 350 and have the car you are looking for.
Trying to get a a company to agree liability that their design is faulty, which could cost them somewhere into the billions to rectify, is just not going to happen mate.

You have hundreds of people on here who are telling they have had the same thing and the swap to proper tyres has cured it. It is hard to believe the tyres can make so much difference, but they do, and as soon as you swap you will be delighted with your car.
      07-15-2008, 04:05 AM   #27
rogerxp
Major General

Garage List
I agree. I'm going to have to make the change shortly, and with the reasonable price of the Falkens, is pretty much a 'no brainer'. Just want to reassure myself that the insurance company won't kick-off (I'm currently with esure and they certainly will so need to shop around; plus they won't let me do a remap); don't really want to not disclose the change.

I'll certainly raise your comments regarding the bushes, etc, as if there is anything damaged I'd rather that be sorted under warranty before swapping the tyres (which will mask the damage then I'll end up paying for repair once out of warranty). I've only had the car 10 weeks so it's not as if they can blame me for any damage.

Thanks for your input.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
      07-16-2008, 06:58 AM   #28
Finnie
Might be selling the 335d touring

Drives: Disco 4, F31 335d msport+

Hello Roger mate,

First of all your old car is doing just fine. Running brilliantly but needing an alignment on the rear as the new suspension lowering has caused a sideways hop at times.

Back to business though, the ride on the new car must be horrendous. I honestly couldn't cope with your old car as standard so can't understand how hard your car must be. I know you will have insurance and warranty issues to contend with but I highly recommend changing to non runflats and buy a puncture repair pump for the boot. Best thing I ever did to the car. Re the insurance, try admiral, I have the suspension and wheels declared for a minimal amount and I'm hoping that if I have any warranty issues then the only thing affected by the wheel and sus change will be just those, it's not like they affect the transmission or engine or anything like that.

Oh and have to admit I have chipped it now (well piggyback SSTT at least), more like E46 M3 power now. That will be coming off for dealer work though!
Finnie is offline   United Kingdom
      07-16-2008, 07:00 AM   #29
Finnie
Might be selling the 335d touring

Drives: Disco 4, F31 335d msport+

Hmmm just read about the bushes, I might have to look into this myself, maybe that causing my hop!
Finnie is offline   United Kingdom
      07-16-2008, 09:19 AM   #30
rogerxp
Major General

Garage List
Hi Finnie, good to hear from you, glad the E92 is still running well - she must be like a rocket now!!! You'll have to post some pics on here; still gleaming I hope!!!

I'll try Admiral and see what they say. The only thing stopping me from shopping around is being bombarded by phone calls & e-mails as soon as you contract the insurance companies however must pluck up the courage soon.