E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > How to adjust height on KW V2?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
thr33fivei
Captain
thr33fivei's Avatar
10
Rep
772
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LA

iTrader: (3)

How to adjust height on KW V2?

How to adjust height on KW V2?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 01:15 AM   #2
thr33fivei
Captain
thr33fivei's Avatar
10
Rep
772
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LA

iTrader: (3)

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Soni
Major General
Soni's Avatar
Canada
99
Rep
8,377
Posts

 
Drives: Just a car
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CANADA eh!

iTrader: (35)

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [4.50]
not easy...especially the rear...need to take of wheel and unabsembly the axel in order to turn the height stopper...I would suggest take it to the shop..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
J86
Power without LSD = FAIL
J86's Avatar
Japan
55
Rep
2,146
Posts

 
Drives: E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: vancouver

iTrader: (6)

^^ can someone confirm this??

Can I not just put the rear up on jack stands, remove the wheel, and adjust the height stopper?
__________________
E36 M3 - BBS RC302 / CCW Classics / SSR Comp
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
PaulBailey@ltbmw's Avatar
Italy
339
Rep
26,779
Posts

 
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (34)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to PaulBailey@ltbmw
I cannot tell you how but i sounds pretty retarded that members are able to install the damn coilovers themselves but would have to take it to a shop to have the height adjusted.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
thr33fivei
Captain
thr33fivei's Avatar
10
Rep
772
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffE92TT View Post
^^ can someone confirm this??

Can I not just put the rear up on jack stands, remove the wheel, and adjust the height stopper?

You can adjust the front putting the front on jacks, but the rear is really hard since shop have to lift your car and adjust the coilover.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 12:56 AM   #7
wj4
Major General
United_States
120
Rep
7,723
Posts

 
Drives: E90 manual 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burbank, CA

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to wj4
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPaulBaiLeyx View Post
I cannot tell you how but i sounds pretty retarded that members are able to install the damn coilovers themselves but would have to take it to a shop to have the height adjusted.
If you installed it yourself, you can definitely do it yourself.

I'm not sure about the rear, I was lucky and it settled perfectly.

As far as the front goes, take off the wheel, use a small hex wrench to loosen the plate, spin it up to raise and spin it down to lower the car more. Tighten the plate with the hex wrench after you're done. Put wheel back on.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
BruinMD
Private
BruinMD's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
53
Posts

 
Drives: '07 TiAg 335i Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

The front is easy, I can actually adjust the spring perch with the wheel still on if I can get to the set screw. Just turn your wheels all they way to one side.

The rear is a a bit more difficult. Wheel needs to come off to access the adjustable perch. But you need to unload the spring from pressing on the perch or else the whole thing just keeps spinning as you attempt to adjust it.

So you can either take off the spring and then adjust the perch or try to somehow compress the spring to keep it from pressing on the perch in order to adjust it.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 03:08 AM   #9
J86
Power without LSD = FAIL
J86's Avatar
Japan
55
Rep
2,146
Posts

 
Drives: E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: vancouver

iTrader: (6)

^^^

Could I remove the rear wheels, put car on jack stands, use spring compressor to remove the spring then adjust the perch to raise it a bit?
__________________
E36 M3 - BBS RC302 / CCW Classics / SSR Comp
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 08:26 PM   #10
camaross305
camaross305's Avatar
50
Rep
1,825
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: gainesville fl

iTrader: (20)

Bump I'm wondering this about the rears if it would be hard to get a compressor in the rear to adjust




Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffE92TT View Post
^^^

Could I remove the rear wheels, put car on jack stands, use spring compressor to remove the spring then adjust the perch to raise it a bit?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #11
DISCOtecizzz
Rolling Plants/Building Racecars
DISCOtecizzz's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
255
Posts

 
Drives: e92 LCI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bucks County, PA

iTrader: (0)

I gotta revive this.

Is it really this hard to adjust the rears?
Can someone give me an outline on the process?

I was planning on having a friend adjust mine tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #12
Express
Major General
Express's Avatar
Israel
129
Rep
8,701
Posts

 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Promise Land

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.15]
the rears are so easy why do you people make it sound so hard? lift car, remove wheel, and adjust height!

put some muscle into it.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
DISCOtecizzz
Rolling Plants/Building Racecars
DISCOtecizzz's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
255
Posts

 
Drives: e92 LCI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bucks County, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
the rears are so easy why do you people make it sound so hard? lift car, remove wheel, and adjust height!

put some muscle into it.
This is what I assumed.
I couldn't understand how others were saying the rears were different then the front.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #14
Express
Major General
Express's Avatar
Israel
129
Rep
8,701
Posts

 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Promise Land

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.15]
the rears are different from the front. a completely different animal.


harder to adjust than the front, but still very easy.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #15
DISCOtecizzz
Rolling Plants/Building Racecars
DISCOtecizzz's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
255
Posts

 
Drives: e92 LCI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bucks County, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
the rears are different from the front. a completely different animal.


harder to adjust than the front, but still very easy.
Ok, gotcha.

What specifically is different or has to be done different in the adjusting process for the rears compared to the front?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #16
Express
Major General
Express's Avatar
Israel
129
Rep
8,701
Posts

 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Promise Land

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.15]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCOtecizzz View Post
Ok, gotcha.

What specifically is different or has to be done different in the adjusting process for the rears compared to the front?
the fronts differ from the rears in a great way. in simple terms, the spring and shock are together. releasing the set screw and adjusting as needed is a piece of cake in the front. well, the higher your car is, the more spring weight you will have to power through. the lower the adjustment is, the easier the adjustment process will be (in the front)

in the rear, since the spring and shock are seperate, lots of force is required to adjust the rear since you are, in a sense, adjusting against the force of the spring. what i did was took a dremel and made a few notches in the top of the adjustment (that goes up into the car) this way, i was able to custom fabricate a tool to hold the assembly in place while using the provided adjustment tools to adjust the height with ease!


hope this helps!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #17
DISCOtecizzz
Rolling Plants/Building Racecars
DISCOtecizzz's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
255
Posts

 
Drives: e92 LCI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bucks County, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
the fronts differ from the rears in a great way. in simple terms, the spring and shock are together. releasing the set screw and adjusting as needed is a piece of cake in the front. well, the higher your car is, the more spring weight you will have to power through. the lower the adjustment is, the easier the adjustment process will be (in the front)

in the rear, since the spring and shock are seperate, lots of force is required to adjust the rear since you are, in a sense, adjusting against the force of the spring. what i did was took a dremel and made a few notches in the top of the adjustment (that goes up into the car) this way, i was able to custom fabricate a tool to hold the assembly in place while using the provided adjustment tools to adjust the height with ease!


hope this helps!!!
Ok, thanks man. The car is going to be lifted on jack-stands most likely; could it be easier to compress the rear springs with straps?
(By the way, I'm trying to raise the passengers side about a 1/4" to 1/2" to be even with the drivers side. For some reason they're un even).
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #18
Express
Major General
Express's Avatar
Israel
129
Rep
8,701
Posts

 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Promise Land

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.15]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCOtecizzz View Post
Ok, thanks man. The car is going to be lifted on jack-stands most likely; could it be easier to compress the rear springs with straps?
(By the way, I'm trying to raise the passengers side about a 1/4" to 1/2" to be even with the drivers side. For some reason they're un even).
whoa whoa hold the phone!!!!

1- my car is uneven too. its just the way the car is designed to sit!

2- do not compress the springs to adjust the height, its not necessary at all, and PLEASE, for the sake of your life and others who may be around you, do NOT use straps...

its really not as hard as it looks. do you want me to jack up my car and make a video showing you how easy it is?? id be more than happy to!

please dont kill yourself doing something so easy!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #19
DISCOtecizzz
Rolling Plants/Building Racecars
DISCOtecizzz's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
255
Posts

 
Drives: e92 LCI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bucks County, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
whoa whoa hold the phone!!!!

1- my car is uneven too. its just the way the car is designed to sit!

2- do not compress the springs to adjust the height, its not necessary at all, and PLEASE, for the sake of your life and others who may be around you, do NOT use straps...

its really not as hard as it looks. do you want me to jack up my car and make a video showing you how easy it is?? id be more than happy to!

please dont kill yourself doing something so easy!!!
Hahaha I appreciate the concern man! I pretty much know what I'm doing... my friend really does though. I just like to be over prepared.

I won't use straps haha. I was just confused due to all the conflicting views in this thread.

Video? If you want to


Thanks for the guidance man!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #20
Express
Major General
Express's Avatar
Israel
129
Rep
8,701
Posts

 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Promise Land

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.15]
ugh i was hoping you would say no...

youll have to wait until tomorrow at least. its too dark
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #21
DISCOtecizzz
Rolling Plants/Building Racecars
DISCOtecizzz's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
255
Posts

 
Drives: e92 LCI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bucks County, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
ugh i was hoping you would say no...

youll have to wait until tomorrow at least. its too dark
No worries
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #22
Express
Major General
Express's Avatar
Israel
129
Rep
8,701
Posts

 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Promise Land

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.15]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCOtecizzz View Post
No worries

seriously, its easy! dont try to compress the spring.

if you really cant turn the adjustment, then just get some vice grips and wrap them with a little electrical tape to hold the mount in place.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST