E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > All Cylinder Misfire; Metalic Clicking Noise

04-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
BRNX_E90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E90 (328xi)

All Cylinder Misfire; Metalic Clicking Noise

Hi All,

Again, Im here with another e90 issue.
I am really slowly falling out of love with this car.

A little background information :
So, my car was rear ended while parked, need a new M tech back bumper, diffuser - purely cosmetic damage.

Now, on the way to the body shop for the inspection of damage to take place, the car went into limp mode, and completely shut off. waiting a few minutes- the car started smoking - coolant levels were good. - an engine light came on - I was able to start the car, drive off the highway and then tpwed to my house.

Now, scanning the car - the misfire codes for all 6 cylinders are present.
I am scared to start the car. but i proceeded too anyway - I changed the oil for the car, replaced the filter. started the car, and there is a now clicking coming from the engine. I removed the engine cover, unscrewed the oil refill cap and i can hear the loud clicking coming from inside and it is accompanied with wispy smoke. Now. I have also checked all the spark plugs and replaced, replaced all the coils. the engine is running now, doesnt seem to be misfiring but the engine sounds like a straight up tractor. it seems like oil spilled out trough the oil refill cap and into the spark plug area - i cleaned all this and replaced the spark plugs and coils already. Now the engine is making this noise accompanied with smoke.

I did do a lot of research of this - seeing if anyone has the same case as me. I am really stressed out and im not sure what exactly to do. please help.
I am an avid mechanic - not professional by far. I am only opening the oil cap and noticing the wispy smoke but it seems like oil is not getting into the top part of the engine - is that why it is smoking?

I did also read that these may have something to do with vanos solenoids - I have 2 of them coming today to be replaced, I do not know my next step or where to even start. I am trying not to open the whole valve cover engine because the gasket was done a while ago, and i dont see any leakage around it. Should this be my next step. can someone offer.

The noise, like i said is like a tractor motor - clack clack clack, opening the oil cap cover to look inside, i can see inside that there is oil but the noise is really loud like a tractor - it sound like its not getting oil in there or something. can someone please help?

car has 114,000 miles, bmw 328xi 2007 -

please help, at this point i am desperate and pulling hair out my already bald head.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 08:36 PM   #2
BRNX_E90
Enlisted Member
Rep

Any help ??
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 01:58 AM   #3
autoart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90 M

Did all of your problems start after the accident? If the exhaust was hit it could have damaged the turbos, or cracked the exhaust. Have you checked the oil pressure?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 04:11 AM   #4
DarkNemesis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan AT, US Car

OP has a NON Turbo Car.....not a 335i.

Sounds like lifters and not enough oil?
first step report back with codes.
scan it.....hopefully with a bmw diagnostic tool.
      04-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
BRNX_E90
Enlisted Member
Rep

thank you,
I am getting it scanned right now, will report back with the results.

thank you so much.
Appreciate 0