E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Next GEN I-DRIVE Retrofit



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-14-2009, 01:19 AM   #309
Kit523
Major General
Kit523's Avatar
Hong Kong
107
Rep
6,901
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: B.C. Vancouver

iTrader: (25)

Long Retrofit Kit????
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 01:26 AM   #310
goowatchi
Chairman of the Board.
goowatchi's Avatar
6
Rep
450
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335I
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: CA

iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to goowatchi
wow, i never thought this was possible, but this is promising stuff!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 04:29 AM   #311
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
11,183
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran View Post
so i checked the wires and i wired it wrong. i called up a member with a LCI and he came out so i can check the wiring. big thanks to AmBiGuOuS for letting me take out monitor. here are the pics of it working. i have no sound like technic said. the other problem is that the navigation did not load up.
Excellent Long... all is going as expected.

You will have sound, Navigation and Voice Activation once you get the FSC codes.

However, you can have sound right now if you want it to at least test if the CIC is routing the iPod, Assist and Sirius audio thru it (full display and audio integration):

1) Get this http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...l/71_9003.html and remove the 4-speaker connector from it (it is just inserted to the main Quadralock and held with tabs).

The 4-speaker connector wire assignments are (you can see the numbers either printed in the Quadralock face or the channel [front or rear, left or right and + or -] labeled on each wire itself):

- Pin 1 = Right Rear +
- Pin 2 = Right Front +
- Pin 3 = Left Rear +
- Pin 4 = Left Front +
- Pin 5 = Right Rear -
- Pin 6 = Right Front -
- Pin 7 = Left Front -
- Pin 8 = Left Rear -

2) Get this 25ft JL Audio 2-channel cable http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...r=91699/1451.0 and cut it half (2 12.5ft sections), so you will have 4 RCA male connectors all the way to the trunk. Strip the wires and solder them to the 4-speaker connector wires removed from step #1.

Once you finish this is what your new "OEM" RCA harness will look like: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=250

3) Run the RCA cables and a wire from pin 13 (OEM remote signal) of the Quadralock from the back of the CIC to the trunk. You have to do this first, do not connect this new speaker harness into the CIC Quadralock yet.

4) Remove the CIC and unlock and unplug its Quadralock connector.

5) Remove the CIC Quadralock empty (no wires) speaker connector.

6) Insert the new Quadralock speaker connector with the RCA cables soldered to it.

7) Reconnect the OEM Quadralock to the CIC.

8) You need to get any JL Audio, Alpine PDX, Arc Mini, Audiocontrol Matrix line driver or any aftermarket amplifier/device that accepts or converts balanced signals into non-balanced signals.

For example, a JL Audio G6600 will allow you to plug into it those new RCA cables coming from the CIC and power the front, rear and underseat woofers of your Premium Audio directly. The OEM center speaker will not be powered just because the G6600 only has 6-channels, you will need an extra channel for it.

You can unplug the speaker connector of you Premium Audio amp and make the speaker connections there without cutting any wire by using either taps or bullet connectors.

That will give you sound right now.

Once you get the FSC codes this RCA setup will cease to provide sound as the CIC will be switched to digital outputs, so you will need to re-plug the OEM amp back.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 04:33 AM   #312
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
11,183
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Is the power connector of the HD screen exactly the same as the non-HD screen power connector? As in, can you just connect the new screen to the existing power connector in the car?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 08:47 AM   #313
baltik
Lieutenant
7
Rep
407
Posts

 
Drives: porsche 944 turbo
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Sooo if I were to attempt this on a pre march 07 E92 (no 6fl compatibility) what additional components would I need?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #314
longtran
Moderator
longtran's Avatar
443
Rep
16,617
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA

iTrader: (105)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Excellent Long... all is going as expected.

You will have sound, Navigation and Voice Activation once you get the FSC codes.

However, you can have sound right now if you want it to at least test if the CIC is routing the iPod, Assist and Sirius audio thru it (full display and audio integration):

1) Get this http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...l/71_9003.html and remove the 4-speaker connector from it (it is just inserted to the main Quadralock and held with tabs).

The 4-speaker connector wire assignments are (you can see the numbers either printed in the Quadralock face or the channel [front or rear, left or right and + or -] labeled on each wire itself):

- Pin 1 = Right Rear +
- Pin 2 = Right Front +
- Pin 3 = Left Rear +
- Pin 4 = Left Front +
- Pin 5 = Right Rear -
- Pin 6 = Right Front -
- Pin 7 = Left Front -
- Pin 8 = Left Rear -

2) Get this 25ft JL Audio 2-channel cable http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...r=91699/1451.0 and cut it half (2 12.5ft sections), so you will have 4 RCA male connectors all the way to the trunk. Strip the wires and solder them to the 4-speaker connector wires removed from step #1.

Once you finish this is what your new "OEM" RCA harness will look like: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=250

3) Run the RCA cables and a wire from pin 13 (OEM remote signal) of the Quadralock from the back of the CIC to the trunk. You have to do this first, do not connect this new speaker harness into the CIC Quadralock yet.

4) Remove the CIC and unlock and unplug its Quadralock connector.

5) Remove the CIC Quadralock empty (no wires) speaker connector.

6) Insert the new Quadralock speaker connector with the RCA cables soldered to it.

7) Reconnect the OEM Quadralock to the CIC.

8) You need to get any JL Audio, Alpine PDX, Arc Mini, Audiocontrol Matrix line driver or any aftermarket amplifier/device that accepts or converts balanced signals into non-balanced signals.

For example, a JL Audio G6600 will allow you to plug into it those new RCA cables coming from the CIC and power the front, rear and underseat woofers of your Premium Audio directly. The OEM center speaker will not be powered just because the G6600 only has 6-channels, you will need an extra channel for it.

You can unplug the speaker connector of you Premium Audio amp and make the speaker connections there without cutting any wire by using either taps or bullet connectors.

That will give you sound right now.

Once you get the FSC codes this RCA setup will cease to provide sound as the CIC will be switched to digital outputs, so you will need to re-plug the OEM amp back.
we need to figure out why the navigation is not loading up. i just think it is easier if i just plug this CIC into a car without premium sound and test it that way. we also need to figure out what are those extra plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Is the power connector of the HD screen exactly the same as the non-HD screen power connector? As in, can you just connect the new screen to the existing power connector in the car?
they are the same plug.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #315
longtran
Moderator
longtran's Avatar
443
Rep
16,617
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA

iTrader: (105)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
just spoke to a tech. i am going to try 1 more thing to see if the navi works. will update tonight.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #316
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
11,183
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran View Post
we need to figure out why the navigation is not loading up. i just think it is easier if i just plug this CIC into a car without premium sound and test it that way. we also need to figure out what are those extra plug.
According to the OEM document, you will not have Nav until you get the FSC. So what you are seeing is completely as expected...

Quote:
The CIC enabling codes are VIN-specific and if installed in another vehicle, the Navigation System and the Voice Recognition System (SVS) will not function. Do not swap parts from donor vehicles.
Your CIC came from a donor vehicle, already embedded with its individual FSC based on its VIN. You need to create your own FSC based on your VIN.

There is audio in that CIC, but you will need to come up with the RCA cable harness that I described above.

What extra plug are you talking about?

Quote:
they are the same plug.
Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 12:23 PM   #317
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
Booster4075's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
388
Posts

 
Drives: E90, 335i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern California

iTrader: (1)

I think he was talking about the extra yellow connector - according to my docs, this connector isn't used here (as well as the green one.) - I think they are both for DAB.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #318
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
11,183
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
I think he was talking about the extra yellow connector - according to my docs, this connector isn't used here (as well as the green one.) - I think they are both for DAB.
Which one?

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #319
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
Booster4075's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
388
Posts

 
Drives: E90, 335i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern California

iTrader: (1)

Last night, LongTran was asking about the yellow one (I assume #10) ...here's my chart...

1 LVDS interface (LVDS = Low Voltage Differential Signaling)
2 USB port
3 Ethernet connection
4 MOST interface
5 12-pin connector, telephone,AUX-In
6 12-pin connector, video signals
7 16-pin connector, K-CAN, wheel-speed signals
8 GPS antenna
9 DAB antenna (L-Band)
10 DAB antenna (III Band)
11 AM antenna and FM antenna
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #320
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
11,183
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
Last night, LongTran was asking about the yellow one (I assume #10) ...here's my chart...

1 LVDS interface (LVDS = Low Voltage Differential Signaling)
2 USB port
3 Ethernet connection
4 MOST interface
5 12-pin connector, telephone,AUX-In
6 12-pin connector, video signals
7 16-pin connector, K-CAN, wheel-speed signals
8 GPS antenna
9 DAB antenna (L-Band)
10 DAB antenna (III Band)
11 AM antenna and FM antenna
His CIC does not have any of the DAB antenna connectors and the Ethernet connector is not used (yet) in the USA...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #321
longtran
Moderator
longtran's Avatar
443
Rep
16,617
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA

iTrader: (105)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Which one?

number 2

your cic is different than what i have.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #322
longtran
Moderator
longtran's Avatar
443
Rep
16,617
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA

iTrader: (105)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
According to the OEM document, you will not have Nav until you get the FSC. So what you are seeing is completely as expected...



Your CIC came from a donor vehicle, already embedded with its individual FSC based on its VIN. You need to create your own FSC based on your VIN.

There is audio in that CIC, but you will need to come up with the RCA cable harness that I described above.

What extra plug are you talking about?



Thanks...
if what you are saying is true, then we are screwed.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 01:50 PM   #323
longtran
Moderator
longtran's Avatar
443
Rep
16,617
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA

iTrader: (105)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
technic, do you aim? my sn is l0ngtran
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #324
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
11,183
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran View Post
number 2

your cic is different than what i have.
Number 2 is the USB connector in the glove box, that cable P/N is unknown.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #325
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
11,183
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran View Post
if what you are saying is true, then we are screwed.
That's the reason I'm buying the MY2010 CIC at the dealer; so far my local dealer told me in person while talking to BMWNA techs that they will get me the FSC if I get a new CIC from BMW. I'm getting the HD screen used this week and the CIC will take some time as it is not available to order yet from BMW (too new).

They also talked about changing the Vehicle Order but I don't want that, I would like to try the FSC first.

As you already demonstrated all the software is located in that CIC and if you can see most of the screens (Assist, Service -brakes, oil status-, iPod, Sirius, AM/FM, AUX) but the Nav then that CIC is able to communicate as is with your car without any other software. That's 95% of the retrofit. You need somebody with really good raport with BMWNA techs, I think that you still have a chance of getting the FSC for your VIN, loading them into that used CIC and making it work 100%.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #326
longtran
Moderator
longtran's Avatar
443
Rep
16,617
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA

iTrader: (105)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i was able to get a m3 without the premium sound. will test it tonight.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #327
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
11,183
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran View Post
i was able to get a m3 without the premium sound. will test it tonight.
You will get sound.

You should go as well thru all the iDrive screens, especially the Assist and Service. If you can get that particular car information in those screens then that CIC is fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #328
MuchMoore
Colonel
MuchMoore's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
2,318
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CenFla

iTrader: (28)

Send a message via AIM to MuchMoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
That's the reason I'm buying the MY2010 CIC at the dealer; so far my local dealer told me in person while talking to BMWNA techs that they will get me the FSC if I get a new CIC from BMW. I'm getting the HD screen used this week and the CIC will take some time as it is not available to order yet from BMW (too new).
Did my source eventually help you out?
__________________
| Andrew | M Technik | BMW Performance | BBS | Forge | V1 | LUX | Bilstein | Precision-Sport |

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 05:44 PM   #329
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
11,183
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuchMoore View Post
Did my source eventually help you out?
Waiting for some photos and the invoice for payment... thank you very much!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #330
dmurray14
The Stig
dmurray14's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
1,232
Posts

 
Drives: Quickly
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: US

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
That's the reason I'm buying the MY2010 CIC at the dealer; so far my local dealer told me in person while talking to BMWNA techs that they will get me the FSC if I get a new CIC from BMW. I'm getting the HD screen used this week and the CIC will take some time as it is not available to order yet from BMW (too new).

They also talked about changing the Vehicle Order but I don't want that, I would like to try the FSC first.

As you already demonstrated all the software is located in that CIC and if you can see most of the screens (Assist, Service -brakes, oil status-, iPod, Sirius, AM/FM, AUX) but the Nav then that CIC is able to communicate as is with your car without any other software. That's 95% of the retrofit. You need somebody with really good raport with BMWNA techs, I think that you still have a chance of getting the FSC for your VIN, loading them into that used CIC and making it work 100%.
You're probably going to want to change the Vehicle Order (FA) regardless for a 100% solid install (assuming the CIC carries a different option code). Otherwise, if your car ever gets a software upgrade, things may stop working again until the CIC is recoded. As long as the FA is aligned with what you have in there, everything will work even after reprogrammed.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST