E90Post

Scorpp Design

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Next GEN I-DRIVE Retrofit

11-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #463
GauxGauxGirl
Registered

Drives: 2008 328i

help!!

I am thinking about purchasing a 2009 328i with nav...does this mean it has the old generation idrive?
      11-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #464
GauxGauxGirl
Registered

Drives: 2008 328i

sorrrry

I meant i am thinking about purchasing a 2008**** 328 i with nav...does this mean it will have old gen nav?
      11-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #465
Technic
Lieutenant General

Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GauxGauxGirl View Post
I meant i am thinking about purchasing a 2008**** 328 i with nav...does this mean it will have old gen nav?
Yes...
Technic is offline   United_States
      11-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #466
Patrys@BimmerTech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I guess that he will have the latest tools as he is the BMW Factory representative of the region. So whatever he could not have available he will get somehow from BMW AG.

I will know how this goes or not soon enough.
If he really has so powerful software on his laptop you need to make a copy for us
Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net
Installation facilities worldwide.

Patrys@BimmerTech is offline   Poland
      11-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #467
Technic
Lieutenant General

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys View Post
If he really has so powerful software on his laptop you need to make a copy for us
Just asking for a favor thru my dealer seems to have been a major national security risk to BMW based on how secret these negotiations has been, so I don't even think that I will be able to meet this rep in person, much less to take even a peek to his laptop if finally this is allowed to happen.
      11-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #468
Patrys@BimmerTech

Quote:
Just asking for a favor thru my dealer seems to have been a major national security risk to BMW based on how secret these negotiations has been, so I don't even think that I will be able to meet this rep in person, much less to take even a peek to his laptop if finally this is allowed to happen.
On the other hand I'm just thinking that your dealer has been really helpful.
I assume that it would have been much easier for them just to give money back to you and close the case.
Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net

11-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #469
Technic
Lieutenant General

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
On the other hand I'm just thinking that your dealer has been really helpful.
I assume that it would have been much easier for them just to give money back to you and close the case.
It is not the same dealer, and the CIC was a mistake of the dealer to sell it and it was already installed by the time they offered a courtesy refund.

So once you pay the sucker is yours to keep, regardless of what happens next.
      11-23-2009, 01:07 AM   #470
Booster4075
First Lieutenant

Drives: E90, 335i

Quote:

Hmm....it seems to me that if BMW is smart (and I do believe they are)..that they should just build a factory authorized retrofit for $5K - do it right with the parts and such, and make a bunch of coin from those of us that really want it. Its only because they haven't done this that we are going to such lengths to make this work. Phooey.
Booster4075 is offline   United_States
      11-23-2009, 05:50 AM   #471
Technic
Lieutenant General

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
Hmm....it seems to me that if BMW is smart (and I do believe they are)..that they should just build a factory authorized retrofit for $5K - do it right with the parts and such, and make a bunch of coin from those of us that really want it. Its only because they haven't done this that we are going to such lengths to make this work. Phooey.
I think that there are two main issues here that I think made BMW to decide to block any new iDrive swap, much less a retrofit: they want customers to buy new cars and, even if they allow a swap to happen, their software update process simply sucks so cars can be damaged with this simple coding procedure.

I don't have any doubt that they will offer a full swap in the future -but most probably to 2007-2008 models only- the same way they offered a swap from Business top Professional Nav in Europe, as this is a good money generator for both BMW and the dealers if priced right. The way BMW is pricing their new cars, the way the used BMW market is tanking and finacing/leasing interest rates going absurdly up means that it is not as easy as before to trade in a car for a new one just to have a better Nav without taking a big dump in cost. For example, it will cost me some $10,000 to go from a 2008 to a 2009 M3 just to get this Nav as the trade in value of my 2008 M3 simply is none and the finance interest rates are at the most 6 times as high as the one that I got now.

But that only would happen once their ISTA/P is mature enough to be 100% trustworthy in performing the whole change of VO and full coding of the components without messing something else up, IMO.
      11-24-2009, 02:56 AM   #472
xenoiconcepts
Registered

Drives: 2009 E90 LCI

I've been following this thread for about 2 months now and this would be my first post.

Would it be then possible to retrofit the Professional Nav in a car which has already been equipped with the latest Business Nav iDrive?

I've just taken delivery of the '09 E90 LCI but regretted for not getting the Pro Nav.

Been hassling the dealer if I could get an updgrade but they said no. There are a new HDD CIC Pro Nav surfacing in the eBay so I'm hoping I can snatch one if I am sure it can fit on my car.
      11-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #473
Technic
Lieutenant General

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenoiconcepts View Post
I've been following this thread for about 2 months now and this would be my first post.

Would it be then possible to retrofit the Professional Nav in a car which has already been equipped with the latest Business Nav iDrive?

I've just taken delivery of the '09 E90 LCI but regretted for not getting the Pro Nav.

Been hassling the dealer if I could get an updgrade but they said no. There are a new HDD CIC Pro Nav surfacing in the eBay so I'm hoping I can snatch one if I am sure it can fit on my car.
I have not seen any OEM document for the retrofit of a Professional iDrive in a Business iDrive for '09-on vehicles. The one that I have only covers '08 and back iDrive retrofits.
      11-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #474
cartronics GB
Cartronics GB

Drives: e92 M3

CIC Retorfit

Quote:
I have not seen any OEM document for the retrofit of a Professional iDrive in a Business iDrive for '09-on vehicles. The one that I have only covers '08 and back iDrive retrofits.
Hi Guys

Been watching the the comments and would like to add my thoughts.
Firstly I do not see any issues with retrofitting the CIC to an earlier car, this is a project that Im about to dive into (time) but so far i see no issues.

1) if the hardware is not physically different.

2) coding the car for CIC should be OK (not via BMW) I do not see any issues with this, I have all the coding information and it looks fine.

3) Need to check harness / Wiring, but this is never the problem you can always make looms.

So I'm hoping to get some used kit from my freinds in Eastern Europe, and once installed I will report back.

Also want to try just he controller on a CCC system, I do believe that may work (intresting to find out)....

If anyone has retrofitted and just needs coding (UK) give me a shout and we can have a go to code.

Mark
cartronics GB is offline   United Kingdom
      11-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #475
Patrys@BimmerTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronics GB View Post
Hi Guys

Been watching the the comments and would like to add my thoughts.
Firstly I do not see any issues with retrofitting the CIC to an earlier car, this is a project that Im about to dive into (time) but so far i see no issues.

1) if the hardware is not physically different.

2) coding the car for CIC should be OK (not via BMW) I do not see any issues with this, I have all the coding information and it looks fine.

3) Need to check harness / Wiring, but this is never the problem you can always make looms.

So I'm hoping to get some used kit from my freinds in Eastern Europe, and once installed I will report back.

Also want to try just he controller on a CCC system, I do believe that may work (intresting to find out)....

If anyone has retrofitted and just needs coding (UK) give me a shout and we can have a go to code.

Mark
I think it's already been said that if you have somebody to code your car or you have an ability to do it yourself the only real issue is to have the navigation and voice control activated.

The CCC iDrive controler works fine with a CIC.

11-26-2009, 03:48 AM   #476
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.

Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
The CCC iDrive controler works fine with a CIC.
and vice-versa
      12-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #477
zivyn
First Lieutenant

Drives: for enjoyment

Did you ever get this working or did it just die in frustration?
      12-15-2009, 08:32 AM   #478
srcstc
Major

Drives: 09 TiAg E92 335i M-Sport

There's a CIC with monitor and controller on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190355904151
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190355913299
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=390128122561

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT:
srcstc is offline   United_States
      12-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #479
zivyn
First Lieutenant

Drives: for enjoyment

It seems like those would start popping up, wonder if it's possible to install it without messing up the internal computer yet.

Last edited by zivyn; 12-15-2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling errors...
      12-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #480
Technic
Lieutenant General

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zivyn View Post
It seems like those would start popping up, wonder if it's possible to install it without messing up the internal computer yet.
I've been running a CIC setup for more than a month in my 2008 M3 without any induced software conflicts to the car other modules, and that's without coding the CIC to the car. So far, AM/FM/HD Radio, HDD, CD, DVD, and Assist/Bluetooth work, and a limited amount of maintenance information is displayed. However, that's also the first problem as most of my M3 options are not working as they are not enabled in the CIC (iPod/USB, Sirius, dual zone climate control, M Drive, EDC). This should be taken care of very soon, and the results will be posted here.

Now, the second and pretty much the only and most critical problem remains obtaining the VIN-dependent FSC codes to enable the Navigation and Voice Control features after coding the CIC to the car. Although my CIC was bought legally and brand new at a dealer, BMWNA refuses to generate those codes even after paying for them. Perhaps the intention here is somply to avoid older models to have a very quick, easy and much better iDrive than the old one, as there's no need of coding the CIC to the car to have the Navigation working once the FSC codes are loaded. Navigation and Voice control are built in the CIC, and they do not depend on any external module -other than the speed sensor data for Navigation- to function, so no coding conflicts should happen with those two features.

So I don't think that any FSC codes will be much less obtained at all for used CIC by "legal" methods.

Although it looks like this is a lost cause, there are some people that have effectively created FSC codes somehow, but they are either very quiet in how they did it -most probably because it is illegal from the point of view of BMWAG- or very open/stupid in asking thousands of dollars for a set.
      12-17-2009, 07:49 AM   #481
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.

Drives: 335i E92

Can it be illegal in US to refuse upgrade, even if it possible? ; )
      12-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #482
Technic
Lieutenant General

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
I don't think that the swap/retrofit of the new iDrive is a legal matter at all, this is a technical matter that BMW has decided to make it not fully backwards compatible, be by purely technical or business/marketing reasons.
      12-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #483
JSpira
Freude am Fahren

Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:

Illegal for whom?

If you mean a dealer, no, why would it possibly be illegal? They are under no obligation to do anything they do not want to do.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
JSpira is offline   Austria
      12-18-2009, 06:24 AM   #484
Fluffy bastard
Private

Drives: Pony

Send a message via ICQ to Fluffy bastard Send a message via Skype™ to Fluffy bastard
Quote:
You may have some problems if you try to do it this way