E90Post
 


VIBE Motorsports
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Next GEN I-DRIVE Retrofit



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #595
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,997
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
Very cool! Patrys, did you have to do anything extreme to get it to work, or were the necessary wires already there? I assume you had to make new connectors?

Thanks!
The CIC and the CCC use the same Quadralock with the same pin assignments. Only the HD CID power/CAN connector is different.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #596
dmurray14
The Stig
 
dmurray14's Avatar
 
Drives: Quickly
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: US

Posts: 1,231
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The CIC and the CCC use the same Quadralock with the same pin assignments. Only the HD CID power/CAN connector is different.
Awesome! I'll have to look into a used CIC and play around myself.
__________________
dmurray14 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #597
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,997
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
Awesome! I'll have to look into a used CIC and play around myself.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/E90-B...item2c5296693d

You should call them and offer no more than $500 for it... it has been relisted in eBay twice, and price reduced already and still no buyers for the last 6 weeks.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2010, 02:40 AM   #598
Patrys@BimmerTech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Patrys@BimmerTech's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Warsaw/Poland

Posts: 1,571
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
Very cool! Patrys, did you have to do anything extreme to get it to work, or were the necessary wires already there? I assume you had to make new connectors?

Thanks!
Technic is right. You will need a CIC, a HD CID, a video cable and a plastic cover for CIC. This is the minimum.
You can extend it with a USB port + cable and you might want to change a connector on the HD CID power/CAN cable to make it OEM. I just extracted pins from the cable and connected them to my new CID.

You do not have to change a controller, but it you do it you will need a new trim.
__________________
BimmerTech
Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net
Installation facilities worldwide.


Patrys@BimmerTech is offline   Poland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #599
dmurray14
The Stig
 
dmurray14's Avatar
 
Drives: Quickly
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: US

Posts: 1,231
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/E90-B...item2c5296693d

You should call them and offer no more than $500 for it... it has been relisted in eBay twice, and price reduced already and still no buyers for the last 6 weeks.
Cool! Not ready to do it quite yet, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys View Post
Technic is right. You will need a CIC, a HD CID, a video cable and a plastic cover for CIC. This is the minimum.
You can extend it with a USB port + cable and you might want to change a connector on the HD CID power/CAN cable to make it OEM. I just extracted pins from the cable and connected them to my new CID.

You do not have to change a controller, but it you do it you will need a new trim.
Thanks! Sounds pretty simple, and I should be able to code it myself. Now we just need to figure out the FSC!
__________________
dmurray14 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #600
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
 
Booster4075's Avatar
 
Drives: E90, 335i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern California

Posts: 388
iTrader: (1)

I installed my new CID and CIC this morning. Oddly enough, everything seems to work even without coding. Its clear that this CIC came from a 128i Automatic, as the PDC screen is different. Of course, nav & voice control does not work without FSC. Happily, the CIC works (somewhat) with the old style controller, although it sucks not having that "option" button! I was pleased to see that telematics seems to be working, even with the old TCU (bluetooth, address book, calling, seems to work) - I haven't tried assist yet. Although in comparing to a newer style LCI TCU, I did notice that that multiple listings for the same person in the address book are handled much better/easier to break down by number. Interesting. I think I want a newer TCU for that reason alone.

Oh, on another note, I was gonna swap the plastic lens/hood for the CID - the old style and new style are different, even though they look identical. The micro light sensor has a different ribbon cable which goes into the CID which is slightly different (different # of contacts) - weird. I have pix if anyone is interested.

I guess I'll go out and code the CIC now (assuming I have new enough software on my laptop) and see what changes...

So far, so good.
Booster4075 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #601
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,997
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
I installed my new CID and CIC this morning. Oddly enough, everything seems to work even without coding. Its clear that this CIC came from a 128i Automatic, as the PDC screen is different. Of course, nav & voice control does not work without FSC. Happily, the CIC works (somewhat) with the old style controller, although it sucks not having that "option" button! I was pleased to see that telematics seems to be working, even with the old TCU (bluetooth, address book, calling, seems to work) - I haven't tried assist yet. Although in comparing to a newer style LCI TCU, I did notice that that multiple listings for the same person in the address book are handled much better/easier to break down by number. Interesting. I think I want a newer TCU for that reason alone.

Oh, on another note, I was gonna swap the plastic lens/hood for the CID - the old style and new style are different, even though they look identical. The micro light sensor has a different ribbon cable which goes into the CID which is slightly different (different # of contacts) - weird. I have pix if anyone is interested.

I guess I'll go out and code the CIC now (assuming I have new enough software on my laptop) and see what changes...

So far, so good.
And this makes 5 CIC retrofits in this forum waiting for the FSC...
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #602
dmurray14
The Stig
 
dmurray14's Avatar
 
Drives: Quickly
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: US

Posts: 1,231
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
I installed my new CID and CIC this morning. Oddly enough, everything seems to work even without coding. Its clear that this CIC came from a 128i Automatic, as the PDC screen is different. Of course, nav & voice control does not work without FSC. Happily, the CIC works (somewhat) with the old style controller, although it sucks not having that "option" button! I was pleased to see that telematics seems to be working, even with the old TCU (bluetooth, address book, calling, seems to work) - I haven't tried assist yet. Although in comparing to a newer style LCI TCU, I did notice that that multiple listings for the same person in the address book are handled much better/easier to break down by number. Interesting. I think I want a newer TCU for that reason alone.

Oh, on another note, I was gonna swap the plastic lens/hood for the CID - the old style and new style are different, even though they look identical. The micro light sensor has a different ribbon cable which goes into the CID which is slightly different (different # of contacts) - weird. I have pix if anyone is interested.

I guess I'll go out and code the CIC now (assuming I have new enough software on my laptop) and see what changes...

So far, so good.
Very cool! Curious to hear how you make out with the coding. PM me if your software isn't up to date
__________________
dmurray14 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #603
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
 
mkPOTO's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 528I
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 15,486
iTrader: (23)

Garage List
wait sorry if this question was answered, but is it possible to upgrade existing idrive unit with the newer harddrive unit?
__________________

EVOLVE BMW E92 M3
mkPOTO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #604
dmurray14
The Stig
 
dmurray14's Avatar
 
Drives: Quickly
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: US

Posts: 1,231
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
wait sorry if this question was answered, but is it possible to upgrade existing idrive unit with the newer harddrive unit?
That's what this whole 28 page thread is about.
__________________
dmurray14 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2010, 02:12 AM   #605
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
 
Booster4075's Avatar
 
Drives: E90, 335i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern California

Posts: 388
iTrader: (1)

I got a hold of a LCI 5-series tonight and took the glovebox apart. I found that the USB port cable runs and joins into the main dash harness and goes up into the dash (as opposed to a single wire going "left" towards the radio.) Go figure.

I was hoping to find a 24" cable that went from the USB port to the CIC with a nice gray tag with part numbers on it...sort of like the old & new LVDS cables do. No luck.

Tomorrow, I will try to get my paws on a nice LCI 3-series and do the same.
Booster4075 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #606
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 10,218
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
And this makes 5 CIC retrofits in this forum waiting for the FSC...
6 with a bench unit.
__________________
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2010, 03:58 AM   #607
Fluffy bastard
Private
 
Fluffy bastard's Avatar
 
Drives: Pony
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Moscow, Russia

Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Fluffy bastard Send a message via Skype™ to Fluffy bastard
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
Very cool! Curious to hear how you make out with the coding. PM me if your software isn't up to date
Do you have unlocked icom?)
__________________
Fluffy Russian СaT
Fluffy bastard is offline   Russian Federation
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #608
dmurray14
The Stig
 
dmurray14's Avatar
 
Drives: Quickly
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: US

Posts: 1,231
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy bastard View Post
Do you have unlocked icom?)
No, not ICOM. How would that help?
__________________
dmurray14 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #609
Fluffy bastard
Private
 
Fluffy bastard's Avatar
 
Drives: Pony
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Moscow, Russia

Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Fluffy bastard Send a message via Skype™ to Fluffy bastard
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
No, not ICOM. How would that help?
Hmm, and how you want to update the software in CIC?
__________________
Fluffy Russian СaT
Fluffy bastard is offline   Russian Federation
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #610
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
 
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,313
iTrader: (-1)

Send a message via AIM to Dubbedoutbimmer
Guys do we have pictures of any of this? also some one please explain the FSC coding...is it something that can be hacked? I have programming resources ..I believe all BMW code is written in siemens VDO (http://www.vdo.com/generator/www/com...e/home_en.html) I know BMW is still using siemens just not sure exactly the code structure...can we crack this if we had a programmer who is familar?

another cool note: http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/26/b...gation-system/

Last edited by Dubbedoutbimmer; 01-26-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Dubbedoutbimmer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #611
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
 
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,313
iTrader: (-1)

Send a message via AIM to Dubbedoutbimmer
also found this

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums...bmw-e60-69852/
Dubbedoutbimmer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #612
Fluffy bastard
Private
 
Fluffy bastard's Avatar
 
Drives: Pony
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Moscow, Russia

Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Fluffy bastard Send a message via Skype™ to Fluffy bastard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedoutbimmer View Post
Guys do we have pictures of any of this? also some one please explain the FSC coding...is it something that can be hacked? I have programming resources ..I believe all BMW code is written in siemens VDO (http://www.vdo.com/generator/www/com...e/home_en.html) I know BMW is still using siemens just not sure exactly the code structure...can we crack this if we had a programmer who is familar?
The CIC was developed by Harmann-Becker. And something about development: do you know what is Softing, GIS e.t.c?
__________________
Fluffy Russian СaT
Fluffy bastard is offline   Russian Federation
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #613
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
 
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,313
iTrader: (-1)

Send a message via AIM to Dubbedoutbimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy bastard View Post
The CIC was developed by Harmann-Becker. And something about development: do you know what is Softing, GIS e.t.c?
PM sent found some very interesting info out!!!!!!
Dubbedoutbimmer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #614
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
 
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,313
iTrader: (-1)

Send a message via AIM to Dubbedoutbimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
And this makes 5 CIC retrofits in this forum waiting for the FSC...
Technic,
contact me I have made some interesting back door finds. For licensing reasons etc. I can not post info here.
Dubbedoutbimmer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #615
Fluffy bastard
Private
 
Fluffy bastard's Avatar
 
Drives: Pony
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Moscow, Russia

Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Fluffy bastard Send a message via Skype™ to Fluffy bastard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedoutbimmer View Post
PM sent found some very interesting info out!!!!!!
Hm, and what's interesting I must see there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedoutbimmer View Post
Technic,
contact me I have made some interesting back door finds. For licensing reasons etc. I can not post info here.
What are you naive...
__________________
Fluffy Russian СaT
Fluffy bastard is offline   Russian Federation
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #616
dmurray14
The Stig
 
dmurray14's Avatar
 
Drives: Quickly
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: US

Posts: 1,231
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy bastard View Post
Hmm, and how you want to update the software in CIC?
Not ICOM, but close

PM me if you want to discuss more.
__________________
dmurray14 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST