E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Does AT&T charge for AOL Instant Messenger messages without a text plan?

07-28-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Does AT&T charge for AOL Instant Messenger messages without a text plan?

Can anyone confirm that when using AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) that it does not charge you per message? AT&T store representatives are telling customers that you will be charged a text message for each AIM message sent and received. But how can this be if AIM uses data (internet) instead of SMS services on the phone?

I found something but not sure if I can trust it:
http://daol.aol.com/software/mac/iphone/aim/faq

I also heard that you can send text (SMS) messages for free using AIM because it treats it as data instead of an SMS.

----------------------------------------------

Frequently Asked Questions about AIM for iPhone and iPod Touch

General

How is AIM different from SMS text messages?

With AIM, you can send and receive messages with tens of millions of users that use AOL, AIM, ICQ, .mac, or MobileMe on mobile devices and desktop computers around the world. You're not limited to 160 characters when sending messages, and AIM's presence service lets you know if your buddies are available before you talk to them. Of course, if you want to send text messages, you can do that through AIM also (see below).

What does AIM for iPhone and iPod Touch cost?

AIM for iPhone and iPod Touch is free to download from the Apple App Store and there are no additional charges to use AIM for iPhone or iPod Touch beyond your mobile carrier or WiFi provider's standard data rates.

What do I need to use AIM for iPhone and iPod Touch?

You'll need an Apple iPhone, iPhone 3G, or iPod Touch running iPhone OS 2.0. After downloading and installing the application over the air or via iTunes on your PC or Mac, you'll need to be connected to a data network in order to use AIM. You'll also need to have an AOL or AIM screen name, or a .mac or MobileMe account to sign in. You can register for a free screen name from the application.

Is AIM for iPhone available in my locale?

AIM for iPhone is available through Apple's App Store worldwide. Currently, the application is only available in English, but you can send and receive messages in any language supported by your device.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sending and Receiving Messages

How do I send messages to buddies who use ICQ?

To start a conversation with an ICQ user, tap the IMs button and then tap the new IM button in the upper right corner of the screen. Enter the user's ICQ number (UIN) in the screen name field. You can also add ICQ users to your Buddy List® view by entering the UIN in the Add Buddy panel. You can also specify a nickname that will be displayed in lists instead of the user's UIN.

How do I send messages to buddies who use MobileMe?

To start a conversation with a MobileMe user, tap the IMs button and then tap the new IM button in the upper right corner of the screen. Enter the user's MobileMe name (e.g., example@me.com) in the screen name field. You can also add MobileMe users to your Buddy List view by entering the name in the Add Buddy panel. You can also specify a nickname that will be displayed in lists instead of the user's MobileMe name.

How do I send messages to buddies who use .mac?

To start a conversation with a .mac user, tap the IMs button and then tap the new IM button in the upper right corner of the screen. Enter the user's .mac address (e.g., example@mac.com) in the screen name field. You can also add .mac users to your Buddy List view by entering the name in the Add Buddy panel. You can also specify a nickname that will be displayed in lists instead of the user's .mac name.

How do I send text messages using AIM?

To send a text message using AIM for iPhone, tap the IMs button and then tap the new IM button in the upper right corner of the screen. Enter your buddy's full phone number like: +14085551212. You can also enter just the 10 digit number and we'll add the +1 for you. You can also add phone numbers to your Buddy List view by entering the full number in the Add Buddy panel. Currently, you can only send messages to mobile phones in North America (phone numbers in country code 1).

What does it cost to send text messages using AIM?

AOL does not charge a fee to send text messages using AIM. Text messages are treated the same as normal IM messages and are included as part of your device's data plan.

Can my buddy reply to a text message I sent using AIM?

In most cases, yes, but it depends on your buddy's mobile phone, carrier, and calling plan. Your buddy may be charged standard text message rates to reply.

Do I receive IMs while I am using other applications on my iPhone or iPod Touch?

By default, if you exit AIM and return to the home screen, AIM will maintain your session for approximately five minutes. If you return to AIM within that time, you will receive messages that were sent to you during that time. If you do not return within five minutes, you will be signed off from the AIM service and will not receive any messages sent during your absence. A future version of AIM will be able to notify you when you receive messages while using other applications.

You can also choose to Sign-off on Exit (see Settings, below), and AIM will sign out of the AIM network when you exit the application.

What does it mean to Work Offline?

If you get signed off from AIM, you will have the option of reconnecting or working offline. In offline mode, you can view your current IM conversations, but you will not be able to send or receive messages, or receive status updates for your buddies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personalization

How do I add a buddy to my Favorites?

Tap on the blue arrow beside your buddy's name in the Buddy List view and choose Add to Favorites from the information panel.

How do I set my status?

Tap the My Info button and select whether you want to Available, Away or Invisible. You can also enter a status message that will be displayed to your buddies.

How do I set my buddy icon?

Tap the My Info button and tap on your buddy icon. You can then take a picture with the iPhone's built in camera or select an image from your device's photo library to use as your buddy icon.

Settings

How do I change the screen name I'm logged in as?

From your mobile device's Home Screen, tap Settings, then AIM. Enter the new username and password that you want to use.

What are Classic Icons?

By default, AIM uses the Classic Icon theme for status icons indicating whether your buddy is available, away, online, idle and/or whether they're using a mobile device.

Turning off Classic Icons will show presence state using colored balls.

What does Sign-off on Exit do?

Choosing Sign-off on Exit will cause AIM to sign you off of the AIM network when you exit the AIM application. By default, AIM will leave you signed in for about 5 minutes after exiting AIM and will queue any messages received during that time and deliver them if you return within that period.

AIM and AOL

How do I get an AIM screen name?

When you start the application for the first time, tap "Get an AIM screen name." The Safari browser will launch and guide you through the process of obtaining a free screen name. Once you have an AOL screen name, you can use it across the AOL network of products including mail and personalized content.

What other applications are available for iPhone users?

AOL produces a wide range of software and content specially optimized for the iPhone. Go to http://mobile.aol.com/iphone to learn more about other AOL applications available through the Apple's App Store. There you can also find out about our many iPhone-optimized Web sites where you can look up movie times, check stock quotes, or get up-to-date with the latest news, information and entertainment.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
AT&T store representatives are telling customers that you will be charged a text message for each AIM message sent and received.
This is almost always the case on cell phones -- AIM is usually implemented on top of SMS. AIM on smartphones is a special case and could really go either way on a case-by-case basis. If the AIM-faq-for-iPhone specifically says it uses packet data then I'd believe that over some retail guy saying "AIM uses SMS" without qualifiers about which phone he's talking about.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintivilus View Post
This is almost always the case on cell phones -- AIM is usually implemented on top of SMS. AIM on smartphones is a special case and could really go either way on a case-by-case basis. If the AIM-faq-for-iPhone specifically says it uses packet data then I'd believe that over some retail guy saying "AIM uses SMS" without qualifiers about which phone he's talking about.
Thanks for the reply. I just don't know how reliable the FAQ is as it is not from AT&T nor is it from Apple.

Can someone with an iPhone without a text message plan confirm that they don't see SMS charges on their bill?

Thanks.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]

Anyone have a definitive answer? Anyone out there have an iPhone without the text messaging plan, using AOL Instant Messenger? Did you get charged for individual text messages for using AOL Instant Messenger?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
If you are referring to the AOL AIM App that you downloaded to your iPhone...the definitive answer is:

YOU WILL NOT BE CHARGED FOR MESSAGES

It's using your data/internet plan, its not sending via SMS

Much like using the facebook app and using the chat feature there

So go ahead, send a billion messages , you paid for the unlimited internet
      08-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
This had to be the most blatant case of incorrect section placement.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!

Last edited by 335iheLLraiseR; 08-04-2008 at 12:54 AM..
Appreciate 0