E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > The impossible bank 2 sensor 1 oxygen sensor....

09-10-2015, 03:28 PM   #1
Black_e90
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sport

The impossible bank 2 sensor 1 oxygen sensor....

I have a 2009 328i and I'm trying to change the bank 2 sensor 1 o2(the one closest to the firewall). The only thing stopping me is this silver metal plate right on top, blocking me to put the sensor removal tool on. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I noticed there's 2 torx screws holding it on but they go into the engine so idk if I should remove them. Any help?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 05:18 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_e90 View Post
I have a 2009 328i and I'm trying to change the bank 2 sensor 1 o2(the one closest to the firewall). The only thing stopping me is this silver metal plate right on top, blocking me to put the sensor removal tool on. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I noticed there's 2 torx screws holding it on but they go into the engine so idk if I should remove them. Any help?
Eninty wrote a DIY several years ago for removal and replacement of that exact sensor. It's in the DIY section

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=459104
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
TheBigYahi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

I removed it when doing mine. I think it was an E8 bolt and it was not on very tight. That said, I hope you didn't like the skin on the back of your hands, because it's tight as hell getting in there.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #4
ajaye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi SGM

You absolutely take that off, don't waste your time otherwise. I also found that the bolts broke loose pretty easily and if memory serves (sorry its been 8 months or so) they are pretty short. Pretty sure I removed from below the car but was able to reinstall from above. I also remember reading that DIY and thinking a couple steps could be done more easily another way...and was wrong for the most part, it was a huge help.
Appreciate 0