E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Any Motorola HF1000 Bluetooth Kit Users?

07-31-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
web1b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Any Motorola HF1000 Bluetooth Kit Users?

Has anyone used this kit? How do you like it?
Is there a T-Harness available for the e90 so it will mute the stereo and play through the car speakers instead of using its little add-on speaker?

It could be pretty well hidden if you put the controls in the ashtray and close the lid when not in use. You would just need a place to put the mic. The mic could probably be mounted on the steering wheel column or maybe even put in the same location the factory mic would have been installed if you cut space for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
IHF1000's a decent kit. The talking caller-ID alleviates most of the need for a display. When I had the previous-generation kit in my E34, I stuck the control panel to the side of the center console in the E-brake cutout. It was discreet and very convenient.

Don't put the mic on the steering column -- stick it to the headliner where you can run the cable through the seam of the switch/light panel and up into the headliner.

I'm not aware of an OEM-install harness for the IHF1000; usually they're only available for cars that actually use a dealer-installed IHF1000 as the "factory" bluetooth.

You might be able to find a device-agnostic entertainment mute adapter for the E90 stereo, or worst-case put relays on the speaker outputs and mute the hard way.

Put the speaker where the OEM BT speaker goes, or even swap an OEM speaker for the Motorola one.

Incidentally, if you're at all concerned about Bluetooth stereo support the successor to the IHF1000 (IHF1700 maybe?) supports A2DP and has a pair of RCA outputs for A2DP audio. It'd be pretty easy to patch these into the aux in.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
web1b
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintivilus View Post
IHF1000's a decent kit. The talking caller-ID alleviates most of the need for a display. When I had the previous-generation kit in my E34, I stuck the control panel to the side of the center console in the E-brake cutout. It was discreet and very convenient.

Don't put the mic on the steering column -- stick it to the headliner where you can run the cable through the seam of the switch/light panel and up into the headliner.

I'm not aware of an OEM-install harness for the IHF1000; usually they're only available for cars that actually use a dealer-installed IHF1000 as the "factory" bluetooth.

You might be able to find a device-agnostic entertainment mute adapter for the E90 stereo, or worst-case put relays on the speaker outputs and mute the hard way.

Put the speaker where the OEM BT speaker goes, or even swap an OEM speaker for the Motorola one.

Incidentally, if you're at all concerned about Bluetooth stereo support the successor to the IHF1000 (IHF1700 maybe?) supports A2DP and has a pair of RCA outputs for A2DP audio. It'd be pretty easy to patch these into the aux in.

It doesn't look like the IHF1700 was ever released.
I had a BlueAnt Supertooth Light and I tried upgrading to the new Supertooth 3 so I would get text to speech Caller-ID of contacts in my address book, but it was not able to import the contacts so I sent it back for a refund.

I'm now trying out the Motorola T-505 kit I picked up from Sam's Club. I like the small size and that it can broadcast your conversation over the car stereo and also play audio via AD2P. I'm not satisfied with the audio quality for music, but it's great for phone audio as well as for talk podcasts saved on my phone.

I'd still rather have a built-in system that powered off when the car is shut down so it doesn't need to be shut down manually and recharged, but the T505 works well enough for now.

I'd like to see an aftermarket built-in system with text to speech to read the caller's name (not just caller-ID digits) like the Supertooth 3 was supposed to do and I would probably get that if I knew it would be compatible with my phone.

I don't even know if my Q9C phone is compatible with the BMW OEM bluetooth because it's not on the list and no one had an answer when I asked.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
If you're looking for hard-wired more importantly than talking caller-ID, you could try a T605 (http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/pro...alObjectId=174). Those definitely shipped, and A2DP works pretty well (even has an aux-in passthru jack). Only problem is it doesn't support announcing caller ID like the IHF1000 does.

As a bonus, I think the control panel looks a little nicer.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
web1b
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintivilus View Post
If you're looking for hard-wired more importantly than talking caller-ID, you could try a T605 (http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/pro...alObjectId=174). Those definitely shipped, and A2DP works pretty well (even has an aux-in passthru jack). Only problem is it doesn't support announcing caller ID like the IHF1000 does.

As a bonus, I think the control panel looks a little nicer.

I think I will wait until updated kits become available from Motorola, Parrot or EAS and use the visor kit in the meantime. I don't want to make many compromises if I'm going to pay for a hardwired kit. It has to at least do everything any portable kit can do to be worth it.

I think I will wait until updated kits become available from Motorola, Parrot or EAS and use the visor kit in the meantime. I don't want to make many compromises if I'm going to pay for a hardwired kit. It has to at least do everything any portable kit can do to be worth it.

I'm almost tempted to get the IHF1000 because the caller-ID is more important than AD2P, but I may hold out for one that reads the caller's name if it's one of your contacts and maybe also does AD2P. If the Supertooth 3 is designed to do text to speech caller-ID, I'm sure that eventually a hard wired kit will be cable of doing the text to speech.
If it reads the incoming caller's name out loud via text to speech, then you really don't need it to have a display or show any info on the car radio's screen.

Last edited by web1b; 08-04-2008 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0