E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > LOGIC7.. Finally, Optimal EQ Settings for E90, E92



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-30-2013, 12:08 AM   #287
Jesus805
0
Private
 
Drives: 2007 e93 2009 e90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sb 805

Posts: 89
iTrader: (0)

I have an 09 e90
For my car doesn't pop those settings just bass and treble??
Jesus805 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #288
eNineZero
1
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ottawa

Posts: 132
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus805 View Post
I have an 09 e90
For my car doesn't pop those settings just bass and treble??
Try scrolling to the right, there should be an "EQ SET" menu. If you don't have it, your car does not have the Harmon Kardon Logic7 Audio.
eNineZero is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #289
Jesus805
0
Private
 
Drives: 2007 e93 2009 e90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sb 805

Posts: 89
iTrader: (0)

Humm I though I did even if I have the 12 speakers
Yeah just the treble bass balance and fader show
I even have a Jl audio 4 channel powering and sound good
Jesus805 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #290
fsdks
0
New Member
 
fsdks's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive Sports Wagon
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Alaska

Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

2011 E91 w/ iDrive. Used the E90 settings and it sounds great. Thanks!
__________________
2011 BMW 328i xDrive Sports Wagon 6-speed
Old: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD, 2008 Subaru Outback AWD, 2001 Dodge Dakota 4WD, 2000 VW Golf, 1991 Dodge Ramcharger 4WD and 1988 Mercury Topaz AWD
fsdks is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #291
5soko
42
Brigadier General
 
5soko's Avatar
 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 4,217
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek@MRF View Post
Yes, I the TREB and BASS settings are "user definable" basically. You can adjust those to your liking. Usually people that crank their music higher will need to lower the TREB and BASS settings to prevent overbearing highs and lows, and most importantly, minimize distortion.

Often times I see people with BASS on +10, cranking it all up, speakers distorting like crazy, and they have the audacity to say "that sh** sounds dope huh?!!?!"
Can the E90 settings be used in a E60 with logic 7 with pre 2009 I drive aswell?
I would assume the settings would be close?
__________________
Current: ///M5 LCI with Evolve and RPi mods
Previous: E92 335i ||| FBO Heavy modded E90 LCI M-Sport 335i
5soko is offline   Montenegro
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #292
Maniac0908
5
Lieutenant
 
Maniac0908's Avatar
 
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Silver Spring,MD

Posts: 585
iTrader: (2)

Can anyone tell me the settings for a 2007 idrive? The older one. I dont have all those other fancy settings.
Maniac0908 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2014, 11:43 PM   #293
BimmerSTP
0
New Member
 
Drives: 11 328i xDrive Arctic Metallic
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Paul, MN

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Cool post but coming from someone who has studied audio (both analog and digital) EQing is all personal preference. You are essentially selecting frequency ranges to be more or less appealing to your own liking. Someone who likes Bass will want to crank up the lower frequencies (for Dubstep or hip hop for example) and someone who likes treble or detail ranges will want to crank up higher frequency ranges (for classical or jazz for example). I will say there is a "crunchy" range of frequencies between 800-1K Hz that commonly sounds poor to the majority of humans. Typically bumping down these frequencies will open up the audio horizon to more pleasing frequencies and make music as a whole more enjoyable. Great post!
BimmerSTP is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #294
say_oh_shin
0
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: United States

Posts: 18
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerSTP View Post
Cool post but coming from someone who has studied audio (both analog and digital) EQing is all personal preference. You are essentially selecting frequency ranges to be more or less appealing to your own liking. Someone who likes Bass will want to crank up the lower frequencies (for Dubstep or hip hop for example) and someone who likes treble or detail ranges will want to crank up higher frequency ranges (for classical or jazz for example). I will say there is a "crunchy" range of frequencies between 800-1K Hz that commonly sounds poor to the majority of humans. Typically bumping down these frequencies will open up the audio horizon to more pleasing frequencies and make music as a whole more enjoyable. Great post!
I'd be interested to see where you have your settings in your 328 (assuming you have HK).
say_oh_shin is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2014, 11:56 AM   #295
BimmerSTP
0
New Member
 
Drives: 11 328i xDrive Arctic Metallic
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Paul, MN

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by say_oh_shin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerSTP View Post
Cool post but coming from someone who has studied audio (both analog and digital) EQing is all personal preference. You are essentially selecting frequency ranges to be more or less appealing to your own liking. Someone who likes Bass will want to crank up the lower frequencies (for Dubstep or hip hop for example) and someone who likes treble or detail ranges will want to crank up higher frequency ranges (for classical or jazz for example). I will say there is a "crunchy" range of frequencies between 800-1K Hz that commonly sounds poor to the majority of humans. Typically bumping down these frequencies will open up the audio horizon to more pleasing frequencies and make music as a whole more enjoyable. Great post!
I'd be interested to see where you have your settings in your 328 (assuming you have HK).
If you'd like I could post my settings but like I said, EQing is mostly personal preference and will be different based on the general type of music you listen to. I use what is known as a "Happy face EQ" which bumps up high and low end frequency ranges and bumps down mid ranges. I listen to everything from electronica to classic rock to hip hop to good ol' Frank Sinatra. Since i listen to such a wide variety of music the "happy face EQ" is a happy medium of EQ for almost any genre.
BimmerSTP is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #296
BMWE934me
8
GySgt USMC
 
BMWE934me's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 335i E93 Alpine White
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: DFW

Posts: 739
iTrader: (25)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Yesterday I installed a set of SWS-8's. I tested them with the settings that I dialed in when I first got my car. The bass did seem a slight bit better. I then set my EQ settings posted by Malek on the first page of this thread. I must admit, the sound was fuller, but I lost the punch to my bass. Tomorrow I will get the OEM tweeter to add to the front center. Of course, that won't help my bass. I do have the Technic harness and a two channel amp to boost those SWS-8Xi's.
__________________
'11 AW E93 335i Conv.
'11 OS E89 Z4 (Sold)
'10 AW E92 M3 (Sold)
BMWE934me is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      03-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #297
trusaleen1
0
Private
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335iS Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 81
iTrader: (0)

Does anyone know if they settings work for the F32?
trusaleen1 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      03-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #298
sliverworm
0
New Member
 
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: United States

Posts: 27
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerSTP View Post
If you'd like I could post my settings but like I said, EQing is mostly personal preference and will be different based on the general type of music you listen to. I use what is known as a "Happy face EQ" which bumps up high and low end frequency ranges and bumps down mid ranges. I listen to everything from electronica to classic rock to hip hop to good ol' Frank Sinatra. Since i listen to such a wide variety of music the "happy face EQ" is a happy medium of EQ for almost any genre.
Please do post your settings.. I'm also interested.
sliverworm is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #299
ikenjoku7
0
Private
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Atlanta, Ga

Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

What settings would you recommend for a 07 335i coupe? I have the Equalizer but no nav screen. I listen to mostly artists like Gucci Mane, Drake, The Weeknd, etc.
ikenjoku7 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #300
R7
0
New Member
 
R7's Avatar
 
Drives: BM
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: GTA

Posts: 25
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusaleen1 View Post
Does anyone know if they settings work for the F32?
Has anyone tried them in an e93 as well? How did you fare out?
__________________
R7 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #301
ferocity02
2
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i Pre-LCI
Join Date: May 2014
Location: USA

Posts: 291
iTrader: (3)

Aren't the audio settings all up to personal preference/taste? Also, different kinds/types/genres of music may require different settings.

Why are we suggesting cookie cutter settings for everyone to use?

And who decided that these are the ideal settings?
__________________
2007 E90 335i Pre-LCI: JB4 G5 Map 1, Injen Intake, Alpina B3 Flash, BMS OCC, RB PCV Valve, MTEC V4 AE's, OEM Blacklines
2001 Silverado ECSB: Turbonetics T76, Meth Injection, Ported Heads, Cammed, Built 4L80E, 600hp
ferocity02 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2014, 12:37 AM   #302
SlimE92
1
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 N54
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Queens NY

Posts: 137
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02
Aren't the audio settings all up to personal preference/taste? Also, different kinds/types/genres of music may require different settings.

Why are we suggesting cookie cutter settings for everyone to use?

And who decided that these are the ideal settings?
This
SlimE92 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #303
ajsalida
16
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ajsalida's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

Posts: 1,695
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
Aren't the audio settings all up to personal preference/taste? Also, different kinds/types/genres of music may require different settings.

Why are we suggesting cookie cutter settings for everyone to use?

And who decided that these are the ideal settings?
Old thread I know but bumping because I am fiddling with audio settings in a couple of cars.

Of course you are right about individual preferences but ideally you start from a flat acoustic reproduction spectrum. Meaning you use a signal analyzer to compare input source spectrum to sound output spectrum at typical ear location. You then adjust where possible to get that as close to equal in each band, so that reproduced sound is as close to recorded sound as possible.

This nullifies peculiarities in the audio system components and cabin, so that the sound you hear is as close to that recorded as possible. Then you adjust up or down as needed from there. With the advent of many speaker systems and lots of sound processing, plus multiple adjustment bands, sometimes this is a hopeless task.

For example, go set all your logic 7 eq settings to to zero, and turn off sound all processing. Then try adjusting only treble and bass, see how good it sounds. (I just did this) It sucks! Then set it back to these. Much better. Not perfect but close to flat. Once you are close to flat you can even just adjust treble and/or bass up or down to suit instead of messing with sub-bands. I find these settings a bit too bright high end, so I lower treble little, esp playing off the hard disk with the digital compression algorithm distortion.

This is generally what an equalizer is for, compensating for environmental and installation/equipment acoustic deviations/variations from perfect reproduction. You need high quality mics to do it though and that is often not feasible for ordinary folks. What you are measuring in engineering terms is the acoustic transfer function from input (source material) to output (sound @ listener's ear location(s)), and you want those to be flat in each band. But as a starting point only.

Last edited by ajsalida; 11-12-2014 at 10:10 AM.
ajsalida is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #304
Meeni
18
Gateropode
 
Meeni's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 330i 06
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: TN

Posts: 1,825
iTrader: (0)

I tried the setting in this post, they sounded good when the car was stationary, but where completely useless when the car was moving. Road noise tramps some of the fine tuning and makes some frequencies disappear completely with the "optimal" setting. The default of the car actually sounds better with the car in motion.
Meeni is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #305
Kid Red
5
Lieutenant
 
Kid Red's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Casselberry, Fl

Posts: 569
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Old thread I know but bumping because I am fiddling with audio settings in a couple of cars.

Of course you are right about individual preferences but ideally you start from a flat acoustic reproduction spectrum. Meaning you use a signal analyzer to compare input source spectrum to sound output spectrum at typical ear location. You then adjust where possible to get that as close to equal in each band, so that reproduced sound is as close to recorded sound as possible.

This nullifies peculiarities in the audio system components and cabin, so that the sound you hear is as close to that recorded as possible. Then you adjust up or down as needed from there. With the advent of many speaker systems and lots of sound processing, plus multiple adjustment bands, sometimes this is a hopeless task.

For example, go set all your logic 7 eq settings to to zero, and turn off sound all processing. Then try adjusting only treble and bass, see how good it sounds. (I just did this) It sucks! Then set it back to these. Much better. Not perfect but close to flat. Once you are close to flat you can even just adjust treble and/or bass up or down to suit instead of messing with sub-bands. I find these settings a bit too bright high end, so I lower treble little, esp playing off the hard disk with the digital compression algorithm distortion.

This is generally what an equalizer is for, compensating for environmental and installation/equipment acoustic deviations/variations from perfect reproduction. You need high quality mics to do it though and that is often not feasible for ordinary folks. What you are measuring in engineering terms is the acoustic transfer function from input (source material) to output (sound @ listener's ear location(s)), and you want those to be flat in each band. But as a starting point only.
Any settings you can share? I have an L7 LCI e90 and I moved on from the settings originally posted here because I don't believe there were any for the newer e90s.
Kid Red is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #306
ajsalida
16
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ajsalida's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

Posts: 1,695
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Red View Post
Any settings you can share? I have an L7 LCI e90 and I moved on from the settings originally posted here because I don't believe there were any for the newer e90s.
Sorry, have an 09 e92 L7 idrive. I used the updated settings in the first post as baseline and then adjust only bass and treble a bit depending on the music.
ajsalida is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #307
mweisdorfer
4
Lieutenant
 
mweisdorfer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Black/black 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holly, MI

Posts: 481
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 bmw 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Nice settings..,.

I use a Rockford fosgate Bluetooth in the lighter inside the console to Bluetooth to the radio and it sounds a lot cleaner this way.

A song like sweet emotion by Aerosmith sounds really really good at the beginning
mweisdorfer is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST