E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > whats your first car accident experience?

08-08-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
Tim2189
Russian in a Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

whats your first car accident experience?

2nd month i got my car i got into my first car accident (july 08) i was sideswiped and the dude just left...wtf! yes a hit and run

2018 X5 40e - retired
2020 X5 M50i - Current
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
LaLakers91tc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E92 335i 6MT

well first overall experience was when i backed my moms mini van into a sign at Columbus market where there signs in the middle of the parking lot
but in my e90 i took a corner too fast with dsc off and a wet road and fish tailed into a curb

Previous SGM E90 330i (R.I.P.)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Ouch

Last edited by TiAg335i; 08-12-2008 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
yashBMW
Superior Genral
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 750Li

i was driving on the highway at about 65/70 and had a free lane this korean bi*ch came into my lane without giving me a signal and didnt see i was there and hit the front bumper and left light of my lovely 330i (fuc*ing korean B**ch)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
Back in a Subie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

Garage List
A long time ago, in like 1995, I was almost 16, had my learners permit and had convinced my parents I needed a car to get to school and work. So, my family headed over to the local Ford dealership to check out a pickup on the lot. Well, a hot '93 Ford Probe (lol) caught my eye, it was like $18,000 though and I didn’t really want to work my ass off to make car payments in high school… but my father and I took it for a test drive while my mom and sis waited at the dealership anyways. My dad was like, "its going to be your car if you buy it, so you can drive first". So, we take off.

Everything was going fine until my dad decided he wanted to drive. He says, "turn here". Well, there was a subdivision to the left and a main road to the right, so I put on my signal to turn right and start to move toward the shoulder cause some ass in a huge pickup was tailgating me badly, when my dad says, "no, turn left". So, I put on left blinker and BAM!!! The ass in the pickup completely side swipes me, from the rear panel to the front panel, completely destroyed… at least it seemed horrible to me.

So, the pickup driver gets out and is all mad, and cussing. I’m scared shitless, my dad is not looking happy, and he says he is going to one of the houses in the subdivision to call the police. Well, someone had already called them and they were there before my dad returned. The cop approaches me and says, "I’m going to need your license, registration and proof of insurance". Thats when I’m like, "I’m only 15 and this isn’t my car". Needless to say, the cops attitude changed, quickly.

I then start to try and tell him the situation when the pissed off pickup driver comes over and starts yelling, at the cop. Now that the cop is more interested in the other asshole, my dad finally returns and everything kinda calmed down. Both me and the pickup driver got off with no tickets since he was improper passing and I was improper lane change and because it was a learning experience for me (lol).

We call the dealership where I’m sure they were doing the whole /facepalm thing. They come pick us up and tow the car back. Then once we are back the dealer says, "well, dont worry about it, we have insurance for this kind of thing and its all cosmetic damage anyways... but now we cant sell it as never in an accident, so I will make you a great deal on it". And thats how I got a 2 year old Probe at age 15 for $12,000!
      08-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
Bob D
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z 4

Garage List
2006 Z4 roadster 3.0i  [7.00]
2006 325I  [0.00]
sideswiped a city bus just had to replace the driver side mirror glass $300.00 no damge to the bus
      08-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
Tim2189
Russian in a Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi330xi View Post
A long time ago, in like 1995, I was almost 16, had my learners permit and had convinced my parents I needed a car to get to school and work. So, my family headed over to the local Ford dealership to check out a pickup on the lot. Well, a hot '93 Ford Probe (lol) caught my eye, it was like $18,000 though and I didn’t really want to work my ass off to make car payments in high school… but my father and I took it for a test drive while my mom and sis waited at the dealership anyways. My dad was like, "its going to be your car if you buy it, so you can drive first". So, we take off.

Everything was going fine until my dad decided he wanted to drive. He says, "turn here". Well, there was a subdivision to the left and a main road to the right, so I put on my signal to turn right and start to move toward the shoulder cause some ass in a huge pickup was tailgating me badly, when my dad says, "no, turn left". So, I put on left blinker and BAM!!! The ass in the pickup completely side swipes me, from the rear panel to the front panel, completely destroyed… at least it seemed horrible to me.

So, the pickup driver gets out and is all mad, and cussing. I’m scared shitless, my dad is not looking happy, and he says he is going to one of the houses in the subdivision to call the police. Well, someone had already called them and they were there before my dad returned. The cop approaches me and says, "I’m going to need your license, registration and proof of insurance". Thats when I’m like, "I’m only 15 and this isn’t my car". Needless to say, the cops attitude changed, quickly.

I then start to try and tell him the situation when the pissed off pickup driver comes over and starts yelling, at the cop. Now that the cop is more interested in the other asshole, my dad finally returns and everything kinda calmed down. Both me and the pickup driver got off with no tickets since he was improper passing and I was improper lane change and because it was a learning experience for me (lol).

We call the dealership where I’m sure they were doing the whole /facepalm thing. They come pick us up and tow the car back. Then once we are back the dealer says, "well, dont worry about it, we have insurance for this kind of thing and its all cosmetic damage anyways... but now we cant sell it as never in an accident, so I will make you a great deal on it". And thats how I got a 2 year old Probe at age 15 for $12,000!

2018 X5 40e - retired
2020 X5 M50i - Current
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
Bimermanman
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
I got rear-ended.........by an Asian guy.

You can decide who was at fault on your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yashBMW View Post
i was driving on the highway at about 65/70 and had a free lane this korean bi*ch came into my lane without giving me a signal and didnt see i was there and hit the front bumper and left light of my lovely 330i (fuc*ing korean B**ch)
I find these offensive
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #9
Arustik1
HYEPWR
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

Cool story mayne hahaha
2001 M5 Jet Black / Black
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Man ..that goes way back in time !!!

I was 16 and driving my Dad's car. I did not have a license yet (this was not in US. You had to be 18 to drive). However, my Dad trusted me with short runs around the neighborhood. I think it was his way of boosting my self-esteem and confidence.

Anyway, I take the car out to get a hair cut somewhere close to home. On the way back, I am driving down this street that has a fairly steep slope downhill. As I am approaching a red light and decreasing my speed, I glance to the left for a split second, to the other side of street. As luck would have it, it coincides with this old lady slapping this teenage gypsy girl in the face who had just picked her pocket. Before, I could process what was happening in my mind, I hear a loud bang and my head hits the steering wheel. I hit the car stopped at the red light in front of me. Thank god, I was not going too fast. I was OK. The other car hardly had a scratch on it so need to call the cops or do an accident report. My Dad's car on the other hand ended up with a messed up front bumper, broken headlight and grille.

I was quite lucky for this being my first accident, being at fault w/o a license, no parents or friends around and scared Sh*tless ....but damn that ended up being the most expensive haircut I ever got!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #11
JL330i_UT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

last summer my friend and i decided to take his moms cooper s for a drive up the canyon. It was about 11pm on a sunday night. I drove first, safe but spirited at the same time, having complete control, making sure i saw what was around the bend before i sped up again. ETC... About 1/2 way up the canyon my friend decides its his turn, so i pull over and let him drive. Mind you nither of us were under the influence of anything. my friend starts driving like a complete maniac! about a little more than a mile after we switched, was a huge turn that says 30MPH, he had to have been going at least 60, skids around the turn and BAM we hit the mountain! i remember thinkin this shouldnt be to bad, we'll be able to drive home. i open my eyes to a bright dust filled interior only to notice that were in the air spinning, so i close my eyes again. when we land about 250ft from where we hit, my friend yells and says to get out cause he thought it was going to explode, i on the other hand knew there was a safety feature that disconects the battery from the engine, as with all BMW's, the interior lights came on, as did the hazards. the front 2 airbags deployed and the curtain one shouldve but they didnt... i was okay only scratches and bruses. my friend on the other hand had to get 12 stitches on the top of his head and he had a broken wrist. I asked my friend what he was thinking and he said that he thought he could make it! what a dumba$$! Both of us r in shock and had no idea what to do.... so were just walking around the road delirious. and a car drives by, stops and calls 911. I will never trust him again. it took me a while to be able to drive up the canyon with out crying. it was really one of the worst experiences of my life...

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #12
Tim2189
Russian in a Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL328i View Post
last summer my friend and i decided to take his moms cooper s for a drive up the canyon. It was about 11pm on a sunday night. I drove first, safe but spirited at the same time, having complete control, making sure i saw what was around the bend before i sped up again. ETC... About 1/2 way up the canyon my friend decides its his turn, so i pull over and let him drive. Mind you nither of us were under the influence of anything. my friend starts driving like a complete maniac! about a little more than a mile after we switched, was a huge turn that says 30MPH, he had to have been going at least 60, skids around the turn and BAM we hit the mountain! i remember thinkin this shouldnt be to bad, we'll be able to drive home. i open my eyes to a bright dust filled interior only to notice that were in the air spinning, so i close my eyes again. when we land about 250ft from where we hit, my friend yells and says to get out cause he thought it was going to explode, i on the other hand knew there was a safety feature that disconects the battery from the engine, as with all BMW's, the interior lights came on, as did the hazards. the front 2 airbags deployed and the curtain one shouldve but they didnt... i was okay only scratches and bruses. my friend on the other hand had to get 12 stitches on the top of his head and he had a broken wrist.

holy shit!
2018 X5 40e - retired
2020 X5 M50i - Current
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #13
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

HOLY CRAP to that mountain accident...lol, so he just ran into the mountain?! >.> I thought he'd know those roads...but again, you were young and inexperienced...

My first accident happened as a really dumb attempt to turn into a computer store.
I was 16 like most of you during your first accident, and I was in my 2000 accord (v6 sedan) year was 2002 I believe...and i'm going to this light but i see all this traffic, and we being dumb and not knowing shit about FWD cars decides to gas it to a right turn.....oh boy...ended up skidding the front of my bumper, driver side with a sign post....it was noticeable damage, but small....

That would considered a minor accident...my MAJOR accident occurred 2 years later when I was coming back from dropping my brother to school....it was a narrow two lane road, on coming traffic and going traffic, no shoulder lanes...

So it was starting to rain, speed limit was 55 I was probably doing about 50-60....the guy in front of me decides to stop in the middle of the road to turn into a subdivision without giving an indicator....I was changing my radio station and then i suddenly look up to see him stopped.

SLAM THE BRAKES!

-ofcourse you all know that water and the oil on the road don't mix very well during the first 10mins of raining..

I start skidding, I look for shoulders, but nothing! I felt like I was running into a brick wall since it was my little accord vs a huge ass ford explorer...I look into the other lane, no one there.....so I turn left (on coming traffic lane) but my car starts skidding sideways into him and BAMMMM!

Worst part was my dad had just canceled the insurance a week ago and was trying to switch over......

*knock on wood* it's been over 4 years, and no accidents yet....atleast none that were caused by me, morons have hit me several times though....
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #14
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
I got rear-ended.........by an Asian guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yashBMW View Post
(fuc*ing korean B**ch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimermanman View Post
I find these offensive
As do I.

My first accident happened when I was 17. I had recently gotten my license and was driving to church (really, I was) and was approaching a stop light intending to turn right. There were two lanes of traffic to go straight and just a clear area that people used to get past those going straight in order to make a right turn (in other words, there was no designated right turn lane or arrow).

As I was inching past the vehicles waiting at the stop light, a van, driven by WHITE people, in the right lane decided it wanted to turn right and turned right into me. There wasn't much damage as I was going about 5 mph and he was turned into me at about 3 mph, but I still remember how shit scared I was as my car was trapped between a huge van and the curb. Well, as soon as metal started crunching on metal, he stopped and realized that he had hit me.

We did a little dance with insurance as he claimed I was making an illegal passing maneuver (which I wasn't), but in the end, insurance rules that it was his fault.
      08-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #15
JL330i_UT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post

We did a little dance with insurance as he claimed I was making an illegal passing maneuver (which I wasn't), but in the end, insurance rules that it was his fault.
thats so dumb when people try to do sh1t like that!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #16
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

^tell me about it...my brother got into an accident over 2 years ago and JUST NOW the people are trying to sue for injuries...wtf?? the guy didn't even ask to go to the hospital even though an ambulance was RIGHT THERE...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #17
Back in a Subie
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
After I got my '93 Ford Probe, I had it for about 6 months before I totaled it. It was raining and it was fall, went to slow down for a yield sign, locked up the breaks and slid into a telephone pole across the street, and that was that. I walked away, but the car was done. I decided to get a Jeep with the insurance money. The '97 model year was just out, new style for the TJ7 Wrangler, I was pumped!

I found one for a good price, brand spanking new with less than 100 miles on it! I loved this thing, washed it twice a week, was super careful with the break-in process, etc. Fast forward 12,000 miles (about 6 more months)...

Going to lunch with 4 friends (ya, one more person than there was seat belts), cruising, talking, and of course it is lightly raining outside. I’m about to enter a busy intersection, but my light just turned green and I’m doing about 20 mph and start to speed up. I turn to say something to a friend and when I look back at the road a large dump truck towing a Bobcat is in the middle of the road... he has just run a red light, noticed, tried to stop in time, but stops about 100 yards in front of me in the middle of the road.

Both my Jeep and the dump truck totaled. Worst injury was a broken arm from the girl in the front seat of my Jeep. Took the insurance money from this one and bought another Jeep a few months later. The main reason I bought another one is because the Jeep pictured above started and drove in the condition you see it in. It did not steer, but it made it to the shoulder of the road so I was not blocking that busy intersection at lunch hour.
      08-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #18
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

dude, you and cars don't mix well do they? LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #19
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Quote:
After I got my '93 Ford Probe, I had it for about 6 months before I totaled it. It was raining and it was fall, went to slow down for a yield sign, locked up the breaks and slid into a telephone pole across the street, and that was that. I walked away, but the car was done. I decided to get a Jeep with the insurance money. The '97 model year was just out, new style for the TJ7 Wrangler, I was pumped!

I found one for a good price, brand spanking new with less than 100 miles on it! I loved this thing, washed it twice a week, was super careful with the break-in process, etc. Fast forward 12,000 miles (about 6 more months)...

Going to lunch with 4 friends (ya, one more person than there was seat belts), cruising, talking, and of course it is lightly raining outside. I’m about to enter a busy intersection, but my light just turned green and I’m doing about 20 mph and start to speed up. I turn to say something to a friend and when I look back at the road a large dump truck towing a Bobcat is in the middle of the road... he has just run a red light, noticed, tried to stop in time, but stops about 100 yards in front of me in the middle of the road.

Both my Jeep and the dump truck totaled. Worst injury was a broken arm from the girl in the front seat of my Jeep. Took the insurance money from this one and bought another Jeep a few months later. The main reason I bought another one is because the Jeep pictured above started and drove in the condition you see it in. It did not steer, but it made it to the shoulder of the road so I was not blocking that busy intersection at lunch hour.
Man ... you seem to be an "accident waiting to happen" kind of guy. I am surprised that you can still get insurance with your records. Any more to share w/ the class?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 01:22 PM   #20
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
^tell me about it...my brother got into an accident over 2 years ago and JUST NOW the people are trying to sue for injuries...wtf?? the guy didn't even ask to go to the hospital even though an ambulance was RIGHT THERE...
Similar thing happened me a number of years ago. I was collateral damage in a pretty horrific accident. I'll relay the story below, but long story short, the people involved in the accident were walking, talking, everything at the scene and did refused ambulatory help while at the scene. Six months later, I get a call from their lawyers asking me to testify on their behalf because they were claiming injuries. I told the lawyer to eat a fat one and told him his clients were all fishy and, if called to testify, I would tell the judge exactly what I saw. Strangely, I never received a call back.

So here's what happened. I was driving a Land Cruiser at the time (the older FJ ones, damn thing was a rock, I loved it). I was waiting at a stop light minding my own business. The traffic light perpendicular to mine cycled from green to yellow and was ready to turn red when I saw, out of the corner of my eye, a Ford Ranger just hauling ass to make the light. I was living in LA at the time, and you should know that in LA proper, the majority of intersections have unprotected left turns. The proper way to make a left turn in heavy traffic (i.e. 90% of the time) is to creep out into the middle of the intersection, wait for the light to turn yellow or red, and then two or three cars can make the left.

So this Ranger was going about 50 or 60 down Santa Monica Blvd., trying to make this light while a van is waiting to make a left. The right flipped red, Ranger busted through the intersection at the same time the van decided he's going to make a left, and it's going to be totally insane, with me having a front row seat. Instead of smashing headlong into the van, the Ranger tried to swerve around it, lost control, and came smashing into the cars in the lanes next to mine. My Land Cruiser got clipped, the Mercedes next to mine got the brunt of it and was literally obliterated, and the car next to that got creamed too. Debris was flying everywhere. Police and ambulances were called, people were crying, it's a total mess. Needless to say, I was a bit late to work that day.
      08-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #21
Tim2189
Russian in a Bimmer
United_States
Rep

well the first post was my accident with the bmw, but a couple of years ago i was driving with my dads friend (93 ford aerostar) and we were the first car at the intersection waiting for the green...we got rear end by a ford econoline delivery truck and we literally flew into the intersection and got hit t boned by a hummer and fliped twice before resting on the side...nothing left of the van and hummer was a total loss...i was in the back with no seat belt and was rushed into the hospital....got the insurance money after that and payed for college...moral of the story WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT!
2018 X5 40e - retired
2020 X5 M50i - Current
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #22
Back in a Subie
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
Man ... you seem to be an "accident waiting to happen" kind of guy. I am surprised that you can still get insurance with your records. Any more to share w/ the class?
LOL, nah, after that Jeep, I got a red '98 Wrangler and I owned that up until I traded it in for my Bimmer. I have always been into moding whatever I drive, so once I had dumped enough into the Jeep to get about 10 mpg on the highway I decided to get a Subaru for a daily driver. No incidents with either of those cars, and nothing more than the occasional pot hole that makes me shudder in the Bimmer.