E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ★★★ Official BPC N52 Turbo System In Development ★★★

View Poll Results: How interested are you in this?
Sitting back, watching with interest, not going to do this to my car 52 25.49%
Interested, waiting on results and price to decide whether i want to do this to my car. 112 54.90%
Definitely interested in buying this turbo kit, hurry up and finish it! 40 19.61%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

08-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #1
John@BPC
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW M3, M4, M5

Exclamation ★★★ Official BPC N52 Turbo System In Development ★★★

Bimmer Performance Center Presents the N52 Turbo System

The goal of this thread is to keep you all up to date on the current development of the N52 platform, as well as to gauge interest on an upcoming project we are very excited to announce. We know there has been talk for a while now, and many of you waiting eagerly to see whats next for the N52 after our cylinder head video on our youtube channel. We got a lot of positive feedback from a few outlets and have decided to move forward with development of a turbo system. We've already done amazing things with this motor in its naturally aspirated form and are eager to get a prototype system up and running to torture test on our dyno, at the VIR race track, and prove its longevity on the street.

Please keep in mind that pricing will not be available until prototype is finished, but as we get closer to the end we will have a good idea of the price point it will reside in. We are using only the best turbocharger on the market, and will make it as affordable as possible with our main focus being reliability and consistent power with the quickest response.

The most crucial part of the system is the turbo of course, so why skimp out? BPC sought out the BEST turbocharger to use for this application. Why did we pick this turbo? Have a look:

MOTORSPORTS USE

Quote:
Designed specifically for competitive racing use, the EFR 7163 is Borg Warner's newest addition to the EFR family. Latest generation compressors combined with state of the art 'Mixed-Flow Gamma-Ti Turbine Wheel' design allows for remarkable spool and huge powerbands. This unique turbocharger is literally an off-the-shelf Indycar turbocharger, exclusively used by all 2014/2015 IRL teams.
EFR = Engineered for racing --- Borg Warner is an exclusive supplier of the Verizon indy car series, with over a half million miles on the turbochargers during practice, testing, qualifying, and racing without incident.

EFR turbo development was a clean slate approach. This turbo was developed using TOP SHELF MATERIALS, just like our BMW cars. It is simply

"The fastest spooling, quickest response turbocharger on the market, available anywhere, for ANY price"

This exotic material was once only used in high end racing turbochargers but is now available as a standard option for a mass produced turbocharger.

The compressor wheels are all made out of forged milled aluminum which are stronger than cast aluminum or billet aluminum.

EFR turbos boosted winning cars from
  • Redline Time Attack
  • World Time Attack
  • ALMS LMP2 champions in 2011, 2012, and 2013!
  • This exact turbo was used on the 2014 Verizon series Indy car champion Will Power's winning car.
  • Borg warner is an OEM supplier for Porsche, Audi, BMW, John Deere and Cat! Talk about torture testing.

Turbo Specs:
  • Compressor Wheel Type: FMW - Forged milled extended tip compressor wheel
  • Compressor Wheel OD (Exducer): 71mm
  • Compressor Wheel (Inducer): 57mm
  • Turbine type: Low Inertia Gamma-Ti Turbine Wheel
  • Turbine Wheel OD: 63mm
  • Stainless Steel Sand cast Turbine Housing
  • Max Flow Rate: 60 lb/min
  • Compressor Inlet : 2.5" hose coupler
  • Compressor outlet: 2.0" hose coupler outlet
  • Turbine Inlet: 0.85 A/R V-Band (Internal WG)
  • Turbine outlet: GT-Vband (aka small 3" vband)

Turbo Features:
What does all of this mean?
  • Built-in BOV = less mess, no need for external blow off valves, plumbing, and recirculation.
  • Aluminum bearing housing torque capability is as good or better than cast iron.
  • Mixed Flow Gamma-Ti turbine wheel = Quickest boost response because of light weight design
  • Titanium exhaust wheel is just as light as the billet compressor wheel attached to the other end of the shaft (which is also titanium), and that gives this turbo a 1:1 weight ratio - super fast response, stiffness to weight ratio, and vibration damping characteristics.
  • Military-grade dual ceramic ball bearing assembly with silver plated metal cage = Increased thrust capacity, durability, turbine efficiency. The ball bearing turbo is most noticed under initial spool up and transient on - off - on throttle response. It is far superior to journal bearing in this respect.
  • Stainless steel turbine housing = Increased efficiency, Improved durability (LONGEVITY) , Corrosion resistance! No rusty turbo housings.
  • Water cooled light-weight Aluminum bearing housing
  • Large internal waste gate 42mm! Its not your standard internal waste gate that you're use to seeing on factory cars.
  • V-Band Turbine Housing allows for easy install and removal with no gasket leaks or blowouts.

Here's a quick run down of the contents;
  • Borg Warner EFR 7163 Turbo, V-band, Internally Gated .85 AR - ceramic coated 2000 degree stainless exhaust housing
  • Turbo manifold (still in development, working cost options - MIG / TIG / Cast)
  • 3" intercooler piping & Front mount intercooler
  • 3" Downpipe to factory cat back system
  • N54 or Stock single stage intake will be required and can be provided
  • Alpha-N , No MAF
  • Upgraded MAP Sensor (2.5 Bar)
  • Upgraded fuel injectors & in-tank pump
  • Pre-Made oil & water lines
  • Optional OEM N54 oil cooler package

One thing to keep in mind, I know you all will be hunting for similar turbo systems to gauge pricing against, which will probably send you off looking at N54, N55 turbo kits. Keep in mind, most of those do not come with the intercooler package, or injectors because they are direct injected and assume you already have an intercooler on the car or are using the factory intercooler. This proves to be extremely tough to keep this complete kit in an affordable price point so be patient with us as we do our best for you!

Bob and I will keep this thread updated and continue to share photo's, and progress with you over the next few weeks as we start this new venture.

Stay tuned!

John

And now for the pictures. This is a quick comparison between the N55 single turbo (also made by Borg Warner, and the Borg Warner EFR 7163 that we will be using. Please note the wastegate actuator is not installed at the moment, and the BOV block-off plate will be replaced with a billet BOV cover instead of a block-off.

Enjoy!

Last edited by John@BPC; 08-03-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Appreciate 9
      08-03-2016, 01:05 PM   #2
TheAxiom
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 6 Speed

I'm an N/A guy for the foreseeable future. But this definitely has me interested.

I love to see how much pride you put in your work, it's why I'm a customer. Can't wait to see what you can do!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #3
Ruddigger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91

Interested to see this develop, but I hope this isn't the only option you guys come up with for more power, I'd really like to stay NA.
      08-03-2016, 01:28 PM   #4
Kirkies328
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White 328i with black rims

Im buying without a damn doubt
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #5
gunnerxq
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

How will the lag be on this kit if any compared to NA?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
W37V
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

I am curious about this. Looking forward to see how it develops.

Btw. You guys never posted numbers for NA 3 stage intake with 4th stage "fixed".
Appreciate 2
      08-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #7
hassmaschine
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6sp w/ sport package

Will be really interesting to see what it does. Theoretically, the N52 should be able to make more power at a given boost level since it has a higher baseline VE. The question in my mind is reliability.
Appreciate 3
      08-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #8
Eagle1oh7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Nice. I intend to stay NA, but for all the people wanting more power without going the "buy a 335" route will be excited!
      08-03-2016, 04:09 PM   #9
E91 M Sport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 M Sport

Looking forward to the progress of this system and saving the pennies . That turbo is a trick piece indeed! I remember initial thoughts were to run an oil-less Comp turbo to alleviate running a return line to the pan, I assume that plan was nixed and this new path will incorporate a drain line then correct?

2012 E91 MSPORT • ST COILOVERS • TSW BATHURST
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #10
John@BPC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
I'm an N/A guy for the foreseeable future. But this definitely has me interested.

I love to see how much pride you put in your work, it's why I'm a customer. Can't wait to see what you can do!
Thank you! We do take pride in what we do here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddigger View Post
Interested to see this develop, but I hope this isn't the only option you guys come up with for more power, I'd really like to stay NA.
There’s not a whole lot more to do with this engine in its naturally aspirated form aside from intake manifold swaps, tune, and headers. They make really good power for what they are. We will be putting together a write up on the comparisons between the three stage and N54 intake manifolds soon. We have quite a few big projects going on at the moment… don’t tell the M5 guys but we’re building something crazy over here that may or may not utilize a pair of EFR turbos…

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
How will the lag be on this kit if any compared to NA?
There isn’t really a good way to explain the “Lag” compared to NA being that the NA car will have 100% percent of the turbo lag compared to the increased overall power and torque of a properly sized turbo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Was it really necessary to quote the 1st post including pictures? You were the 4th person to respond.
-------------------------------------------

I am curious about this. Looking forward to see how it develops.

Btw. You guys never posted numbers for NA 3 stage intake with 4th stage "fixed".
Thank you for your interest. I will let Bob know to get those numbers posted from the 4th stage fix ASAP- Thanks for the reminder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I was going to say the same thing. What the hell. Please edit your post.

Will be really interesting to see what it does. Theoretically, the N52 should be able to make more power at a given boost level since it has a higher baseline VE. The question in my mind is reliability.
Exactly our thoughts. The N52 cylinder head is by far one of the best available in any engine currently produced by BMW, and is very similar to the N55 head (ValveTronic similar but slightly different , Same dual Vanos system). In essence it should make good power, with the short block staying together being the limiting factor in making BIG power numbers. We can only speculate until the car is broken in and strapped to the dyno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
Nice. I intend to stay NA, but for all the people wanting more power without going the "buy a 335" route will be excited!
Thats the goal! we’re looking to bring more products to the cars that are more common and more affordable to modify. This could open up a whole new door for new and existing E90/E92 owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91 M Sport View Post
Looking forward to the progress of this system and saving the pennies . That turbo is a trick piece indeed! I remember initial thoughts were to run an oil-less Comp turbo to alleviate running a return line to the pan, I assume that plan was nixed and this new path will incorporate a drain line then correct?
We were in fact going to go with a Comp oil-less system, but the con’s outweighed the pro’s with that turbo. It required periodic maintenance and lubrication. It also was not of the same build quality or performance that we’re striving for, so we moved to a better platform.
      08-03-2016, 04:24 PM   #11
TheAxiom
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 6 Speed

John, have you given up on Camshafts for the N52?
      08-03-2016, 04:34 PM   #12
John@BPC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
John, have you given up on Camshafts for the N52?
I wouldn't say we've given up, we're just concentrating on this avenue right now. We didn't get enough feedback that there would be a big enough market to justify the R&D that would go into developing a camshaft to extract a few more horsepower from this already highly efficient setup. Also, the cam swap on this car is not as DIY friendly as previous generations. Special tooling and specialized training is required to disassemble the valvetronic and vanos systems on this head, which would be very costly.

The way we look at it, for the costs to install a custom camshaft in the N52 you could have paid for half or more than half of the labor to install a turbo system which would pick up potentially 200+ horsepower without opening up the engine.
      08-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #13
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Would it even be a viable option to take a N51 and swap to a N54 Manifold and maintain functionality? Don't know with reduced compression and other parts if there would be issues associated with this.

(I understand the reasoning with why you can't run a 3-stage obviously).

Interested for now, but years and years down the road this may be fun for a Track Car build.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 04:57 PM   #14
John@BPC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Would it even be a viable option to take a N51 and swap to a N54 Manifold and maintain functionality? Don't know with reduced compression and other parts if there would be issues associated with this.

(I understand the reasoning with why you can't run a 3-stage obviously).

Interested for now, but years and years down the road this may be fun for a Track Car build.
Are you talking about exhaust manifolds? If so, we compared the two and the flanges are a bit different. The bolt holes are strategically placed a bit higher on one than the other, and the pipes that protrude from the flange that go into the ports are slightly different in diameter.
      08-03-2016, 05:49 PM   #15
E91 M Sport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@BPC View Post
N54 or Stock single stage intake will be required and can be provided
Just curious but are you planning on testing the 3stage manifold at all?

2012 E91 MSPORT • ST COILOVERS • TSW BATHURST
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 06:05 PM   #16
Mike.
Internet Famous
No_Country
Rep
Drives: RK TUNED F30 335xi

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
cool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
Won't happen. Active Autowerke will ask the Governor for a reprieve on your behalf.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #17
pre_lci
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' 328I e92

My gosh, that thing looks gorgeous .As someone looking into ess's sc, I'm Interested in this. I know it's still very early on but I'm very interested in how this would compare to ess's sc. And tuning plans for this as well. Subd.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #18
X-M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i xDrive

This looks awesome, can't wait to see the results.
And to think last year when I got this car all we had in aftermarket was headers, overpriced exhausts and shitty tunes.
Keep up the good work.
Now if only I still didn't have CPO warranty
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2016, 07:22 PM   #19
tetsuo111
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive Sport Wagon

Garage List
John, thanks for this.

Can you speak to the tuning issues that we're seeing on the SC FI applications? Not looking for anything disparaging about the other options, just curious about BPC's position on the tuning part.
2011 E91 328i AWD Turn TCK SA CPs, Apex ARC-8, MRF Alum RSBs, spherical bearings, M3 rear links, M3 brace, MR toe, UUC sway Stop PFC, ST rotors ss lines, BW guide pins, HardBrakes Ti shields Go AA tune headers ceramic, Dundon Motorsport 321 20G/Inconel exhaust, DISA manifold, PG 3.91 30/60 LSD, CAI snorkel, RM TB hose, charcoal delete, Cyba scoops, TMS Delrin diff bushings Misc BMW Performance Aero body, Recaro Profi, Rear seat delete, Safecraft PC2, M3 steering wheel/paddles/cowl/bumper bar, TMS Alum pedals, UUC E-brake, CF Leather
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 07:57 PM   #20
justpete
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '16 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [5.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [4.12]
Certainly looks interesting but in my particular case it wouldn't be class legal. Anything internal to the engine is though, including cams.
2011 E90 328i ZSP 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+AA, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+Burns, AKG eng, UUC trans, Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE shftr, AKG DSSR, PG 3.91 30/60 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, fully Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 4pt roll bar, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 08:21 PM   #21
Ruddigger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@BPC View Post
I wouldn't say we've given up, we're just concentrating on this avenue right now.

Well shit.
      08-03-2016, 08:24 PM   #22
justpete
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '16 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [5.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [4.12]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddigger View Post
Well shit.
Yeah, that too...
2011 E90 328i ZSP 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+AA, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+Burns, AKG eng, UUC trans, Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE shftr, AKG DSSR, PG 3.91 30/60 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, fully Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 4pt roll bar, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0