E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW PI and euro air box

01-05-2017, 06:58 PM   #1
tdavis42
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 328i ZSP AT

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
BMW PI and euro air box

Anyone have any info on possible gains from this combo? Or one over the other? I know euro box makes it easier to change and clean filter but is it really worth it?

I'm not sold on the gains vs. price for these two parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #2
JayTriggy14
Associate Special Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavis42 View Post
Anyone have any info on possible gains from this combo? Or one over the other? I know euro box makes it easier to change and clean filter but is it really worth it?

I'm not sold on the gains vs. price for these two parts.
The BMW Performance Intake is based off of the standard box with the only exception being the K&N filter, a slightly larger than stock box, and bits of carbon fiber. The gains are minimal but they advertise 5hp and 5wtq. This option is very pricey like close to 1k new and used $500.

The Eurobox is the european version of the standard intake and instead uses a cone filter. Again the gains are minimal but people have seen around the same gains as a standard intake. I think ECS has the intake for $349 and the filter for $50 (I would check the prices, I am not entirely sure).

Honestly I would go with a drop in filter like AFE or K&N, and add intake scoops for a ram effect. It would save you a lot of money and would add the same number of gains. Alot of people on the forum also do a dinan intake replica which adds some more gains. You will see alot more power once you add the 3IM and a tune.

Social Media: Follow me on Instagram @triggysworld for more on the build!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 11:52 PM   #3
N52B25
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 N52B25 LCI 325i Msport

From my personal experience with both these mods the only gain is improved sound. 5hp is questionable and not enough for any perceptible performance gain. IMO

Last edited by N52B25; 01-05-2017 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Spell
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 08:12 AM   #4
JuniorB
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 3si and nitrous

I would run the stock box with the k-n,and a nitrous kit if your going to spend more than $500.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 10:03 AM   #5
fravel
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

As a eurobox owner I'll say don't pay full price for a eurobox unless you absolutely hate taking out your stock box to change the filter. That's really the only improvement. Any performance improvement is pretty negligible.

I suggest searching the German eBay for a used eurobox out of a junkyard. I got mine for about $75 which made it worthwhile.
      01-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #6
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
As a eurobox owner I'll say don't pay full price for a eurobox unless you absolutely hate taking out your stock box to change the filter. That's really the only improvement. Any performance improvement is pretty negligible.

I suggest searching the German eBay for a used eurobox out of a junkyard. I got mine for about $75 which made it worthwhile.
I will second that. The Euro box is worth it primarily for the ease of changing the filter and being able to use a K&N cone filter instead of an expensive BMW or equivalent square filter. I've never seen a filter box so complicated as the stock N52.

I had an AFE enclosed airbox and the build quality is lacking, making the installation difficult and the noise through the plastic intake tube annoying. It probably does add more hp at WOT for the expense of those things, but I am happy with my Euro intake.
      01-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #7
boro92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: audi s4 lol!

I had the BMW PI and it made no noticeable difference in power.
It looks nicer. It sounds slightly different - the character of the engine sound changes. But volume does not. For the money, you aren't getting much at all apart from underhood bling. I would go with the AFE enclosed intake instead as Bluewater328iT mentioned. Axiom, the6m3 along with others all note an increase in performance with the AFE - notably in the mid range. I couldn't say that about the BMW PI!

The other thing to consider is that the BMW PI was initially released for the european market first. It was a design specific to the euro airbox. That same design was adapted to the US panel filter box without any major changes other than fitment. I am not certain the flow/volume/or anything has been tuned/adjusted for the US airbox. They simply took the euro PI design and tacked it onto our airbox. Whether that design works as well with a panel filter is to be determined (based on the numbers, it doesn't really work). If you look at how the PI is put together on a US box, you'll see what a i mean. There is air volume/space and an extra air inlet behind the airbox...however, most of that is covered up by the space taken up by the original box - that extra area isn't directly exposed to the panel filter. It is simply there. VS on a euro box, all that space is over the surface of the cone filter, so it can make direct use of it.

Track day & Car setup blog
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #8
tdavis42
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 328i ZSP AT

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Thanks to everyone for confirming what I already suspected. I think I might do the Dinan ram intake mod and call it quits on engine mods for the car. Now to make it lighter and improve handling!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #9
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

cut the carbon filter out. get an aa tune. move on to suspension.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0