Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Bridgestone vs Pirelli?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

08-13-2008, 04:09 AM   #1
Singhaya
Registered

Drives: 2006 325i

Bridgestone vs Pirelli?

Hi folks,

I know this topic has probably been hacked to death, but I was searching the forums and didn't find anything definitive.

I'm driving a 2006 325i with the sport package on. I'm running the stock Pirelli Euphori@ run-flats:

Front: 225/45 R17 91V
Rear: 255/40 R17 94V

I've done 35K miles on them without any problems (which I think is pretty darn good), but now it's time for some new shoes

Some of the tire sites recommend the Bridgestone Potenzas (RE050A) - same size and profile, obviously, but they are W-rated as opposed to the V-rated Pirellis. Not a huge difference, as far as I can tell, since I'm not planning on pushing these up to the 160mph levels

I'm leaning toward sticking with the Pirellis, given how well the stock set lasted.

Would like to hear some opinions though.

Thanks!
      08-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
willie55912
Private

Drives: 2011 335 i X-drive M sport

I just replaced the tires on my 2006 325 xi. If you want perfomance the best bet is the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 star spec (great price). The downside if you need tires, then they are on 5-6 week back order. I ended up getting Bridgestsone Potenza RE-01R for the front tires. I want something with good steering response. They are a stickier tire with the same treadwear rating compared to the RE 50. On the rear since steering response is not a concern I went with Toyo Proxes T1-R. I love the tread design on these tires, and they do great in the rain. If you still have the run flats....you will be amazed on how much more quiet your car is, and how well it takes pot holes and how it handles. I love my set up, although at the tire dealership they will try to sell you 4 tires of the same type...but as far as I am conerned, the staggered set up on the sport package will let you pick the best for each end, as long as the same type of tire is used on the same axle of the car. If you are searching for perfomance....good choices that are more costly.... Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07, or the Bridgestone that I have...or cheaper alternatives are Falken RT-615 or FK 452, Nitto Invo, or the Toyo Proxes 4. If you want long tread life...cheap price and cold weather use...then it is the General Tire-Exclaim UHP....to me this is the only one to consider for this application.
      08-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
Bridgestone RE01-R's will have phenomenal grip, but I mean, do you really need a tire that aggressive? If you're going to be daily driving your 325i around town and to work, I'd rather have a tire that'll last a bit longer. Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1s, Bridgestone RE01-R, or even Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires are going to wear out quite quickly. I'm not sure what your budget is, or if you're planning to change tires every 6 months but I'd recommend something that will last a bit longer and still provide great traction and ride comfort, such as the Bridgestone RE760 sports.

You said someone recommended the RE050A tire to you, I'd go with these over the RE01-R for daily driving, although they both have the same treadwear rating, I've seen the RE050A tires last longer than RE01-Rs.

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | p. 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com | f. facebook.com/vmrwheels i. instagram.com/vmrwheels
      08-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
Singhaya
Registered

Drives: 2006 325i

Thanks!

Thanks folks for the input.

As luck would have it, I've now picked up a puncture on my driver's rear tire, and since it's refusing to hold pressure, I'm a little constrained by time.

My local WheelWorks gave me a good deal (I think) on the Bridgestone RE050A's (they matched the internet pricing) and most importantly, they have the tires in stock, so I'm getting the job done today.

Shall post back after the installation....
      08-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
willie55912
Private

Drives: 2011 335 i X-drive M sport

To each his own....maybe I do have deeper pockets...but why did I get the staggered setup....because I wanted the better handling. Also with this I had better not be concerned about max tire life in my tire rotation...side to side is not the best..and some being directional I will have to change both tires from the rims. I will keep my car aligned..and will not rotate the tires...just change them when they wear out. Change to winter tire and rims when it gets cold. I am lucky and I have the luxury of having some great driving roads with bends....hills along the Mississippi bluff area. There is a 40 miles stretch and after driving this, it makes spending the extra bucks worth it.