E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Strut Bar DIY

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
HeelToe's Avatar Strut Bar DIY
HeelToe
03-31-2006
Attached are detailed instructions on installing the BMW Strut Brace part number 51 71 0 406 937. The entire process takes approximately 10 minutes once you have collected the tools below and have unwrapped all of the parts.

Tools needed:
By Chesmu on 04-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajewiczmd
this is a virgin area for me and i am considering buying one. looking to hear from the experienced guys out there.... thanks
virgins are expensive... very expensive. I wonder if we can get a good price for a group buy.

By BMW0 on 04-13-2006, 06:34 AM
A really nice addition if you plan on taking the car on the track. More chassis rigidity to the E90!
By Hunter399 on 04-18-2006, 06:34 PM
I was installing it just a few minutes ago and...

When I unscrewed ont he the screws that has like a bolt that it went over and is supossed to stay in place, it just fell down into the bay?(not sure what it is called) and now I an not find it

Great!!!

What should I do?
By HRC on 04-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Flashlight and a skinny magnetic flexable pole. Sure it didn't fall on the ground? You have to find that bolt man. Start looking!

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399
I was installing it just a few minutes ago and...

When I unscrewed ont he the screws that has like a bolt that it went over and is supossed to stay in place, it just fell down into the bay?(not sure what it is called) and now I an not find it

Great!!!

What should I do?
By Hunter399 on 04-18-2006, 09:11 PM
Where can I find a magnetic strip?

I can not find it anywhere
I am thinking about just taking it to the dealer and letting them deal with it

What will happen if I do not have that screw...should I not drive the car?
By 18LLC on 04-19-2006, 07:12 PM
it's okay if just one, and i think keragen or pepboys will have it.
By Hunter399 on 04-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Bad news for you.....

I just went to the dealership and they said that the ENTIRE strut tower will have to be replaced....Good news is that if im getting coilovers, they will be repalced anyway
By golfpro on 04-24-2006, 10:54 PM
i should get my strut bar any day now, bmw dealership told me they would put it on for $85 (one hour of labor), do you think I should just pay that or do it myself? I have all the necessary torque wrenches here but i've never done anything like this before!
By EVO_S4 on 04-24-2006, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpro
i should get my strut bar any day now, bmw dealership told me they would put it on for $85 (one hour of labor), do you think I should just pay that or do it myself? I have all the necessary torque wrenches here but i've never done anything like this before!
just do it yourself, if you know how to take a bolt out and put it back
By Jongie on 04-25-2006, 05:43 AM
Have u guys already checked the AC Schnitzer's ? it looks a lot prettier and is stiffer than the BMW's .
By kanishkl on 04-25-2006, 05:50 AM
I didn't know the ACS Strut Bar had been released? Any more info on it?
By KC Bimmer on 04-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Do it yourself. I haven't done it yet on my bimmer, but have on my previous car and it's quick and simple. Just don't loose the bolts and don't overtighten the bolts (but your torque wrench will help with that).
By KC Bimmer on 04-26-2006, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanishkl
I didn't know the ACS Strut Bar had been released? Any more info on it?
Here's the link:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...4086#post84086

It appears to me that AC Schnitzer's strut tower brace would allow more flex since it's not one solid piece.
By 18LLC on 04-27-2006, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399
Bad news for you.....

I just went to the dealership and they said that the ENTIRE strut tower will have to be replaced....Good news is that if im getting coilovers, they will be repalced anyway
is that a needed to remove the add on strut brace if I install the coilovers?
By golfpro on 04-28-2006, 11:11 PM
someone told me that i should jack up my car to relieve pressure on the strut towers then install my strut bar.....is this true?
By Pretender on 04-29-2006, 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiga901
After driving for a week, I could say that I can really feel the improvement on cornering and handling. The steering is a lot more stable in high speeds(100+ mph).

For $200...this is really a mod that is highly reccommended!
oh yeah? how many times a week you drive at 100+ mph?
By KC Bimmer on 04-29-2006, 08:57 AM
Quote:
someone told me that i should jack up my car to relieve pressure on the strut towers then install my strut bar.....is this true?
The only way that I would jack it up would be if I was having difficulty installing the new one. I would be surprised if you would run into that problem (I didn't on my old car).
By neuronpetkowski on 04-29-2006, 11:22 PM
Front Strut Brace - BAM!

Thanks to this DIY. Easy to install. Glad I did it myself and not a dealer. Whattaya guys think?

By golfpro on 04-29-2006, 11:42 PM
Looks great man, i got my bar in the mail thurs and just trying to find the extra time too install....let us know how she drives!
By poldim on 04-30-2006, 12:25 AM
The car already has the triangle supports to the firewall....so I curious as to how much this actually helps....
By Carnage on 04-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poldim
The car already has the triangle supports to the firewall....so I curious as to how much this actually helps....
I'm wondering the same thing.
The E90 is supposed to be significantly stiffer than previous models, so while this may have helped older models, it may be nothing more than eye candy for the E90.
By poldim on 04-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matsarge
I'm wondering the same thing.
The E90 is supposed to be significantly stiffer than previous models, so while this may have helped older models, it may be nothing more than eye candy for the E90.

It does look pretty though

Immagine it in CF.....
Comment