E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Are Middle-Easterns considered White?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-01-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
BMW786
Lieutenant
 
Drives: SGraphite90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Bay, CA

Posts: 537
iTrader: (1)

Are Middle-Easterns considered White?

I was looking at the ticket I got a few weeks ago and I noticed it said 'W' under race, which I am guessing means 'White.' I have fair skin, but I don't think I look like a White person nor would most ppl...Most ppl. think I look Middle-Eastern so I was wondering why the cop would mark my race as 'W.' and the funny part is, I'm not even Middle-Eastern! I think I read somewhere though that there are only three major races: Asian, White, and Black and everyone falls into one of those categories...I could be wrong though..
BMW786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 12:50 AM   #2
noflash
Captain Caveman
 
noflash's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi
Join Date: May 2005
Location: midwest

Posts: 1,715
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Maybe he meant Wacko.

I kid, I kid!
__________________

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
noflash is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 12:57 AM   #3
BMW E90
Major General
 
BMW E90's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Around the Bay

Posts: 8,210
iTrader: (8)

I think you would be considered Asian.
BMW E90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 02:50 AM   #4
mikeman
PAINISINEVITABLESUFFERING ISOPTIONAL.
 
Drives: 08 Escalade
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: LA

Posts: 381
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to mikeman
im middle eastern(armenian) as well and on my speeding ticket he put down WHT.

btw..does anyone know what the consequences would be for speeding 60 in 35mph zone?
__________________
RIP E90

2006 Jet Black 325i|Pioneer AVIC-N3 w/Pioneer GEX-P10XMT XM Nav Traffic|Black Grill|H&R Race Springs|Blacklines|ACS Roof Spoiler|5% Rear Tint 10% Front Tint|Maya RM1 Diamond Black 19x10 rear 19x9 front on Toyo T1R 265/30/19 rear and 235/35/19 front|
mikeman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 03:27 AM   #5
E36_325i
Private First Class
 
E36_325i's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 325i + '06 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Indianapolis

Posts: 142
iTrader: (0)

I'm hispanic and got W on my ticket. FWIW.

In Indiana, going 25 over the postet limit is considered wreckeless, not sure about CA. Might want to get a lawyer for that one.
__________________
'06 M3 | Jet/Cinn | ZPP | Xenons | NAV | Military Sales.
E36_325i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 03:52 AM   #6
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,840
iTrader: (2)

W stands for We are one. Congratulations world, we have reached the point of too many races too account for, therefore eliminating classification...but wait...why is the letter W used? OMGRACIST! RTtWF!
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 03:54 AM   #7
BMW E90
Major General
 
BMW E90's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Around the Bay

Posts: 8,210
iTrader: (8)

all I can say is that in the future we would all be Asian. Survival of the fittest. LOL
BMW E90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 09:48 AM   #8
BMW786
Lieutenant
 
Drives: SGraphite90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Bay, CA

Posts: 537
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90
I think you would be considered Asian.
that's what I would think. My ethnicity is Indian but most ppl. think I look Middle-Eastern b/c of my light skin. Even geographically, the Middle-East is in Asia but on UC applications, if you are of Middle-Eastern descent, you are considered 'Caucasian.' It might have changed since I last applied...
BMW786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #9
BMW786
Lieutenant
 
Drives: SGraphite90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Bay, CA

Posts: 537
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezmeriz3d
im middle eastern(armenian) as well and on my speeding ticket he put down WHT.
I get Armenian too sometimes.
BMW786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 10:32 AM   #10
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
 
NaTuReB0Y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Inland Empire

Posts: 7,381
iTrader: (12)

I'm Hmong..........
__________________
2006 E90 330i Jet Black | 20" WORK VS-XX | FK452 | H&R Sport on Koni Yellow | REMUS QUAD
NaTuReB0Y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #11
deutschmann59
Captain
 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: e90post.com

Posts: 735
iTrader: (0)

Middle-Eastern would probably most likely be considered Semitic, as in Afro-Asiatic. I'm not sure what that would be considered...that's two different continents! I guess you could fall under the caucasian umbrella for applications and stuff like that, but anthropologically, the term is Semitic.
deutschmann59 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 10:46 AM   #12
nabutes
career student
 
nabutes's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ >> VA/DC

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

I too am Indian, but apparently I look more like an Italian. I've also received the middle-eastern comments...
nabutes is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 10:55 AM   #13
LaithAzim
Scorpion King
 
LaithAzim's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i TiAg Sport
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hampton Roads

Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to LaithAzim
I wouldn't consider a Middle Eastern person white. It's funny but a lot of people don't realize that the Middle East is part of Asia and Saudi Arabia and the countries near it are considered Southwest Asia.
__________________

06 330i|Step|TiAg|Black Leather|Burl|Sports|Premium|Cold|Sirius
LaithAzim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #14
gilbertb11
Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
 
Drives: 2011 535i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Austin, Texas

Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

the three races are more commonly known as white, black and mongol/oriental. Black is anyone not white or oriental. White is anyone not oriental or black and so on. Quite simple really
gilbertb11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 01:26 PM   #15
Mark
Administrator
 
Mark's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 3,924
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Keep in mind, All these racial classifications/stratifications are not scientifically based but politically based. The current racial schema was established like 60 years ago and middle easterns are considered under the Caucasian umbrella. I'm sure if the system was revamped today, ME ppl would have their own substrata, similar to hispanic. Point is, it doesn't really matter, you should identify with whatever group you want to, not what the government decides to pigeon hole you into.
__________________
The new beast. BMW M5.
Mark is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #16
ska///235i
***** noob
 
ska///235i's Avatar
 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston

Posts: 8,406
iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Like i said before...someday we'll be humping eachother so it doesn't matter if is A, B, or W
__________________
" Hey, your m235i is not a true M car"..."No shit, its a M Performance doe"
ska///235i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #17
CMD
Guest
 
Drives:

Posts: n/a
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3
Keep in mind, All these racial classifications/stratifications are not scientifically based but politically based. The current racial schema was established like 60 years ago and middle easterns are considered under the Caucasian umbrella. I'm sure if the system was revamped today, ME ppl would have their own substrata, similar to hispanic. Point is, it doesn't really matter, you should identify with whatever group you want to, not what the government decides to pigeon hole you into.
Well said, Mark!
 
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 02:40 PM   #18
E90-4life
auto pilot
 
E90-4life's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SoCal

Posts: 822
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska
Like i said before...someday we'll be humping eachother so it doesn't matter if is A, B, or W
agreed.

What's most interesting is how they created the catergory "black" which doesn't encompass as wide a variety as "white" or "asian". As if you need anyone to tell you what you don't already know. Just another form of institutionalized racism.

Funny enough I have heard a TON of middle easterners regard themselves as "white". Wonder why?
E90-4life is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 06:06 PM   #19
BMW786
Lieutenant
 
Drives: SGraphite90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Bay, CA

Posts: 537
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
Middle-Eastern would probably most likely be considered Semitic, as in Afro-Asiatic. I'm not sure what that would be considered...that's two different continents! I guess you could fall under the caucasian umbrella for applications and stuff like that, but anthropologically, the term is Semitic.
When I think of Semitic, I mostly think of Jews but man, I should have taken anthropology in college, all my friends took it, heh...
BMW786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 06:08 PM   #20
BMW786
Lieutenant
 
Drives: SGraphite90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Bay, CA

Posts: 537
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaithAzim
I wouldn't consider a Middle Eastern person white. It's funny but a lot of people don't realize that the Middle East is part of Asia and Saudi Arabia and the countries near it are considered Southwest Asia.
this is what I don't get it..geographically, it doesn't really make sense. Since the Middle-East is part of Asia, you would think they would be considered Asian before anything else.
BMW786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #21
Mark
Administrator
 
Mark's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 3,924
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW786
this is what I don't get it..geographically, it doesn't really make sense. Since the Middle-East is part of Asia, you would think they would be considered Asian before anything else.

Well you hit the nail on the head, its not geographically based, its politically based (most of Russia is in the continent of Asia but Russians are Europeans...). Basicly Asian = east asian in our vocabulary, but 100 years ago it wasn't so.

Back then the term Asian would mean middle eastern/afghan/indian. And Far easterners were Oriental.

But because of political decisions the wording has been changed. In another 100 years the wording will change again, it doesn't really mean anything at all. A Japanese person is still Japanese weather or not he is called an Oriental, Asian or Guacamolian.
__________________
The new beast. BMW M5.
Mark is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 06:26 PM   #22
BMW786
Lieutenant
 
Drives: SGraphite90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Bay, CA

Posts: 537
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3
Well you hit the nail on the head, its not geographically based, its politically based (most of Russia is in the continent of Asia but Russians are Europeans...). Basicly Asian = east asian in our vocabulary, but 100 years ago it wasn't so.

Back then the term Asian would mean middle eastern/afghan/indian. And Far easterners were Oriental.

But because of political decisions the wording has been changed. In another 100 years the wording will change again, it doesn't really mean anything at all. A Japanese person is still Japanese weather or not he is called an Oriental, Asian or Guacamolian.
Interesting...I see what you are saying but like E90-4life said, some Middle-Easterners still consider themselves "White" b/c they may have fair skin, light eyes similar to Europeans..but all of the ones I have met usually identify their ethnicity (i.e. Armenian, Persian, etc.) even though they could almost pass for "White." I guess part of the reason for that depends on where you live...
BMW786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST