E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Iphone or Blackberry



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
Geektechlive
Private
 
Drives: 2014 M235i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: milwaukee , WI

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
Iphone or Blackberry

ok, need some thoughts here.... I have been a blackberry user for a long time now ( 10 years) and I have been carrying my Ipod around with me for a few years. A few people at work have the new 3g IPhone and one of them passed it to me and told me to try it out... I was reluctant but after playing around with it I kinda like it.
soooo, I did some research and it seems the IPhone is also compatible with my 08 e92. bluetooth and all and it also looks liek bmw is making steps to make them even more integrated in future models.
sigh,

so I am asking all you crackberry and IPhone users to chime in and tell me if there are any pros or cons with the IPhone and BMW? It woudl cut down what I have to carry with me ( 1 device ) seems to have better coverage than my Tmobile crackberry, etc... I am kinda on the fence on the idea but if bimmer is gonna make the Iphone a better pick to use in my car and I am in my car alot then I may need to switch.

thoughts?
__________________
[Insert Witty Signature Here]
Geektechlive is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
 
PaulBailey@ltbmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Posts: 26,758
iTrader: (34)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to PaulBailey@ltbmw
i'm not a fan of either but i would say iPhone is more fun.
Blackberry is more tech.
PaulBailey@ltbmw is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
mrad01
First Lieutenant
 
mrad01's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Zealand

Posts: 327
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaduguy View Post
ok, need some thoughts here.... I have been a blackberry user for a long time now ( 10 years) and I have been carrying my Ipod around with me for a few years. A few people at work have the new 3g IPhone and one of them passed it to me and told me to try it out... I was reluctant but after playing around with it I kinda like it.
soooo, I did some research and it seems the IPhone is also compatible with my 08 e92. bluetooth and all and it also looks liek bmw is making steps to make them even more integrated in future models.
sigh,

so I am asking all you crackberry and IPhone users to chime in and tell me if there are any pros or cons with the IPhone and BMW? It woudl cut down what I have to carry with me ( 1 device ) seems to have better coverage than my Tmobile crackberry, etc... I am kinda on the fence on the idea but if bimmer is gonna make the Iphone a better pick to use in my car and I am in my car alot then I may need to switch.

thoughts?


I own a company which have Window Mobiles, Blackberrys and now iPhones. After talking to users and going through how each does email, browsing, calls, txt etc - we are all switching to iPhones. Hands down the best product for us. We have a web based management console for our tech team - and the iPhone displays this perfectly and makes it easy for our team to use. Great device.

The iPhone 3G connects fine with the BMW Bluetooth - although some users have complained about echo issues. This was fixed by setting the device up properly (like, having the volume up on the phone or something similar). I have full funtionality - including the BMW voice-assisted dialing which lets you store names and phone numbers in the car. You press the voice button on the steering wheel and say "Call Tony" and it does. This works with all bluetooth phones, but I just wanted to confirm with you that the iPhone works too.

I love having my iPod and phone in one device - I used to carry a Palm, phone and iPod....life is better now!
__________________
2008 BMW e90 M3 6MT

1990 BMW e30 325i 5MT
mrad01 is offline   New Zealand
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
Geektechlive
Private
 
Drives: 2014 M235i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: milwaukee , WI

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
this is all good stuff and this is what I am trying to find out to make my decision better... the reason I went with bb originally was it just hands down did email waaaay better than anything else.. now with windows mobile and iphone etc... the playing field seems a bit more level.

I may have to do some more research and find out what pros and cons are between the iphone and the blackberry..

btw.. the curve does allow voice dialing but I need to set up all the numbers manually in the onboard adressbook to make that work.. does your iphone just read the voice dialing right off the phone?
__________________
[Insert Witty Signature Here]
Geektechlive is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
mid-corner fun
Major
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE

Posts: 1,393
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
btw.. the curve does allow voice dialing but I need to set up all the numbers manually in the onboard adressbook to make that work.. does your iphone just read the voice dialing right off the phone?
You don't need to do that, I have 200+ contacts on my Curve and all I have to do to voice dial is say "Call X home" or Call X mobile". I didn't setup anything on the BMW addressbook.
mid-corner fun is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
Digital.James
Colonel
 
Digital.James's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NC

Posts: 2,610
iTrader: (7)

I love my iPhone 3G. While it has its kinks and isnt as email friendly as a blackberry, it appeals to me a lot more. It's just fun to own. The apps really do it for me, and more just keep coming out.
Digital.James is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
Geektechlive
Private
 
Drives: 2014 M235i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: milwaukee , WI

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
You don't need to do that, I have 200+ contacts on my Curve and all I have to do to voice dial is say "Call X home" or Call X mobile". I didn't setup anything on the BMW addressbook.
Ok so spill.... How do you do this? If I press the voice call button on the steering wheel and say a name it doesn't read the address book. I can only say dial number.
Fyi... Does it matter that I don't have Idrive?
__________________
[Insert Witty Signature Here]
Geektechlive is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2008, 10:28 PM   #8
mrad01
First Lieutenant
 
mrad01's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Zealand

Posts: 327
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
I love my iPhone 3G. While it has its kinks and isnt as email friendly as a blackberry, it appeals to me a lot more. It's just fun to own. The apps really do it for me, and more just keep coming out.
With the iPhone connected to an Exchange or Kerio server with push - the blackberry email advantage is gone...

iPhone on a POP3 account - sux
__________________
2008 BMW e90 M3 6MT

1990 BMW e30 325i 5MT
mrad01 is offline   New Zealand
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2008, 06:41 AM   #9
kaigoss69
Colonel
 
kaigoss69's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: JAX

Posts: 2,981
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaduguy View Post
Ok so spill.... How do you do this? If I press the voice call button on the steering wheel and say a name it doesn't read the address book. I can only say dial number.
Fyi... Does it matter that I don't have Idrive?
Same here, interested to hear how this works.
kaigoss69 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
mid-corner fun
Major
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE

Posts: 1,393
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaduguy View Post
Ok so spill.... How do you do this? If I press the voice call button on the steering wheel and say a name it doesn't read the address book. I can only say dial number.
Fyi... Does it matter that I don't have Idrive?
One time setup - only if you don't want to sync all contacts between BB & BMW:
1. Mark the contacts on your BB that should be accessible on your BMW by setting them to a specific category. This is easily done in Outlook Contacts in view mode, just set all of them to a specific category, I call mine bmw.

2. Go to the car's bluetooth menu and there's a line item for category name sync, enter the same category name there (bmw).

3. When the BB is connected to the car via bluetooth it'll do an initial transfer for a few mins, later on it'll do incremental syncs only. There's also a force transfer option to speed up the initial sync but I don't remember where it is (probably bluetooth menu on phone or in car).

That's it. At this point you should be able to browse all the BB contacts via iDrive. You'll notice that iDrive breaks down each record to separate numbers, so if you have a John Doe contact on your BB, iDrive shows:
John Doe -home
John Doe -mobile
John Doe -work

Press the voice button on the steering wheel, wait for the beep and say
"Call John Doe mobile"

Don't say "Dial name", use "Call" instead. That's it. I use it every day, very useful feature!
mid-corner fun is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2008, 09:36 AM   #11
Geektechlive
Private
 
Drives: 2014 M235i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: milwaukee , WI

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
One time setup - only if you don't want to sync all contacts between BB & BMW:
1. Mark the contacts on your BB that should be accessible on your BMW by setting them to a specific category. This is easily done in Outlook Contacts in view mode, just set all of them to a specific category, I call mine bmw.

2. Go to the car's bluetooth menu and there's a line item for category name sync, enter the same category name there (bmw).

3. When the BB is connected to the car via bluetooth it'll do an initial transfer for a few mins, later on it'll do incremental syncs only. There's also a force transfer option to speed up the initial sync but I don't remember where it is (probably bluetooth menu on phone or in car).

That's it. At this point you should be able to browse all the BB contacts via iDrive. You'll notice that iDrive breaks down each record to separate numbers, so if you have a John Doe contact on your BB, iDrive shows:
John Doe -home
John Doe -mobile
John Doe -work

Press the voice button on the steering wheel, wait for the beep and say
"Call John Doe mobile"

Don't say "Dial name", use "Call" instead. That's it. I use it every day, very useful feature!

does this work with non-idrive? cuz i dont have I drive.
__________________
[Insert Witty Signature Here]
Geektechlive is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #12
AJ 335TT
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 e92 335Xi
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seattle WA

Posts: 452
iTrader: (0)

I have both and I hate my blackberry
__________________
2008 e92 335xi 6mt, Montego Blue, Jade Grey, Grey Poplar, Sport, Cold Weather, Comfort Access, KW V3s, M3 spoiler, 35% tint, 3M clear bra, GP Thunder H8
2007 E92 335i*
2003 E46 330Ci*
1994 Ford Probe SE* *Retired
AJ 335TT is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #13
Gig103
Major
 
Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gilbert, AZ

Posts: 1,295
iTrader: (1)

The web browser is far superior on the IPhone, but if you send a lot of e-mail from your phone I'd stick with something that has a physical keyboard. I do alright with the IPhone, but it still doesn't compare to the BB in that regard.
__________________
Was: 2008 335xi sedan 6MT Black Sapphire Metallic
Is: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Nero (black metallic)
Gig103 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #14
onth
Private
 
onth's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 328xi
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ....

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

BB and Ipod are the perfect match for me.
onth is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-01-2008, 11:44 PM   #15
BeeEmDubU
Captain
 
BeeEmDubU's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 325i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: So Cal

Posts: 717
iTrader: (2)

iPhone for fun, BB for work
__________________
BeeEmDubU is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #16
SteveMondragon
Seaman
 
SteveMondragon's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: LA

Posts: 443
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ 335TT View Post
I have both and I hate my blackberry

I also have both and I hate my iPhone. I use my Blackberry for work (and more usage total with calls and texting) and my iPhone is just a 'spare' with my prepaid T-mobile line that I use every now & then. The iPhone, no matter how often I use it, it really sucks when typing anything and takes a lot longer to type any sentences.

IMO, the only thing the iPhone has going for it is the web browser (and only when connected to a WiFi). Otherwise, typing, ease of use, durability, and some basic functions that I use on a daily basis, the Blackberry is a much better phone.

With that said, I'm probably going to give my unlocked iPhone away to a friend now and pick up another Blackberry
SteveMondragon is offline   Niger
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #17
choopy
Juicy Booty NomNoMnom
 
choopy's Avatar
 
Drives: 04 M3 Vert/2005 M3 Competition
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lemont, IL

Posts: 1,204
iTrader: (0)

only thing that sucks is that while you are in your car, listening to the Ipod on your Iphone, its annoying because in order to read your text you have to unplug it and go through al that bs..ex. reach into glove compartment, unplug, avoid traffic, check text, replug and load the auxillary..its annoying, im glad i have an ipod nano that i use in my car as a "permanent resident"
__________________
19" Monarch 410 Staggered || Matte Black Grill || 4" Exhaust Tips || Dual Intake || GP Tunders 7500K || Money Tints || JB2 ||Custom Start Button || Updated!
choopy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #18
jeveryday
Colonel
 
jeveryday's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Sparkling Graphite 335i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Long Island, New York

Posts: 2,227
iTrader: (6)

Blackberry Bold FTW
jeveryday is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #19
mid-corner fun
Major
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE

Posts: 1,393
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeEmDubU View Post
iPhone for fun, BB for work
+1
mid-corner fun is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #20
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
 
tintivilus's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lake County, IL

Posts: 1,826
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to tintivilus
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
You don't need to do that, I have 200+ contacts on my Curve and all I have to do to voice dial is say "Call X home" or Call X mobile". I didn't setup anything on the BMW addressbook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaduguy View Post
Ok so spill.... How do you do this? If I press the voice call button on the steering wheel and say a name it doesn't read the address book. I can only say dial number.
Fyi... Does it matter that I don't have Idrive?
Sigh. In US-Spec cars, iDrive and non-iDrive have completely different voice dial setups, neither of which depends on your phone.

Executive summary is that with iDrive you don't need to set up your car's phonebook with voice names. Without it, you do.
tintivilus is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2008, 08:29 PM   #21
freshwhite335
Colonel
 
freshwhite335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: 904 FL

Posts: 2,839
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
i have a curve and love it. i bought an iphone and got rid of it the same day. you cant type by feel when ur driving and the 2g iphone i had didnt even connect to the bleutooth in my car let alone transfer all of my contacts [all 1500 of them!] i also love blackberry messenger. my sister got rid of a pearl for an iphone and had she not dropped her pearl in water she says she'd want her blackberry back. just my $.02
freshwhite335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2008, 10:42 PM   #22
mid-corner fun
Major
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE

Posts: 1,393
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintivilus View Post
Sigh. In US-Spec cars, iDrive and non-iDrive have completely different voice dial setups, neither of which depends on your phone.

Executive summary is that with iDrive you don't need to set up your car's phonebook with voice names. Without it, you do.
bummer....it's a shame as the iDrive addressbook functionality is awesome, voice dial of any addressbook contacts without any setup.
mid-corner fun is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST