E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Ipod question



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-04-2008, 05:19 AM   #1
jocamryn
Major
jocamryn's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,094
Posts

 
Drives: Bimmer
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 2Fast2Furious

iTrader: (0)

Ipod question

OK, with Ipod adapter, after some research, I understand that the I-drive operates as an interface for the I-Pod.


Few questions:

Does it show album Art?

How about pictures?

Will it display videos saved to the Ipod?

Probably some noob questions, I appreciate your input.

T/Y
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
Seminole
Colonel
Seminole's Avatar
United_States
88
Rep
2,032
Posts

 
Drives: Red Flyer
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: 38.8977° N, 77.0366° W

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn View Post
OK, with Ipod adapter, after some research, I understand that the I-drive operates as an interface for the I-Pod.


Few questions:

Does it show album Art?

How about pictures?

Will it display videos saved to the Ipod?

Probably some noob questions, I appreciate your input.

T/Y
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the answer to those questions is no. All it does is display the artist, track name, album name, etc.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 07:42 AM   #3
RMA
Major
RMA's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,015
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 135i M sport coupe
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
I was curious as to that same questions myself. Just have to find out when I have mine installed next week sometime.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
EastCoast335i
Colonel
EastCoast335i's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
2,069
Posts

 
Drives: 335i E92
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (4)

Few questions:

Does it show album Art?
NO

How about pictures?
NO

Will it display videos saved to the Ipod?
NO
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 07:49 AM   #5
RMA
Major
RMA's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,015
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 135i M sport coupe
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
It would be cool if it did show the album art which is what you see downloaded in my podcasts.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
RMA
Major
RMA's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,015
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 135i M sport coupe
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast335i View Post
Few questions:

Does it show album Art?
NO

How about pictures?
NO

Will it display videos saved to the Ipod?
NO
Too bad...maybe with all the updated technology soon there will be a newer version.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #7
RMA
Major
RMA's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,015
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 135i M sport coupe
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
What are the differences of 6FL (factory installed) ipod vs. installing one at the dealer? I realize that the factory option is located under the armrest but are there any other differences???
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 09:22 AM   #8
jocamryn
Major
jocamryn's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,094
Posts

 
Drives: Bimmer
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 2Fast2Furious

iTrader: (0)

One more question, besides the classic and the itouch, will it be able to plug into the Nano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMA View Post
Too bad...maybe with all the updated technology soon there will be a newer version.
Good point, with the new OS I would bet that there is room for updates that could allow for album art to be dispayed on half of the screen.

Thx
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #9
vle
New Member
0
Rep
19
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 AW 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn View Post
One more question, besides the classic and the itouch, will it be able to plug into the Nano?
Yes the Nano should work since it has the same connection as the classic/iphone/touch etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #10
RMA
Major
RMA's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,015
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 135i M sport coupe
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Whats the difference with this Nano vs. the 60g I have had for the past year or two???
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #11
jocamryn
Major
jocamryn's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,094
Posts

 
Drives: Bimmer
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 2Fast2Furious

iTrader: (0)

NANO is the small ipod that is about half the Length and width of a pack of cigarettes

Here's an interesting one, how about if I were to plug a 300Gig HDD full of music into the USB adapter? Would it work?

I hope someone can test this out, that would be great having one of those hooked up. No need for any external media except maybe for the news and sports
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #12
roadkillrob
Brigadier General
United_States
58
Rep
3,906
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335Cic, 2011 X5 35i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston

iTrader: (14)

Nano works fine - word is that album art will work on the 2009 and newer i-drive system - you can get it to do video if you buy the nav2tv unit available in the aftermarked.

Rob
__________________

2008 E93 335i, GIAC Stage 2, HPF IC, Injen Intake, Defective AR Design DP's with useless cats
2014 X3 35i JB Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #13
Tag
Colonel
Tag's Avatar
United_States
111
Rep
2,626
Posts

 
Drives: bimmer
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CHICAGO

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the answer to those questions is no. All it does is display the artist, track name, album name, etc.
Unfortunately it does not show the Album name. It only shows the Artist and Track name. Its display is very limited, you can't even have it show "Time remaining", just "Time played". You would think with the large iDrive screen they would display all of that.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #14
Momadness
Private
2
Rep
66
Posts

 
Drives: 08 328i coupe
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

The ipod feature is nice, but there are little things that piss me off. Or it could be I have not figured it out yet. To answer you question. It will not do any of those features. At least 08 and below. Not to sure on 09 models. They say the joined forces with Apple to make this work well. First thing is it does not give you the option to shuffle. You have to turn your shuffle on before you plug it in. Which is not all that big of a deal, but it should be able to do that if they teamed up with Apple. With that said if you are in your ipod and you are in song on shuffle, lets say you want to switch over to albums, you want to go back to songs it will no long be in shuffle. So again you have to unplug it with that little azz cord while your driving. LOL Second thing I hate is you cannot scroll through the alaphabet. So if you want to go to artist, and you want to go to a artisit who name starts with a w you have to scroll through the whole freaking list. And yes I understand create playlist, but I listen to a lot of music and playlist get old quick. I like the feature, but after markert ipod ready decks blows the BMW ipod ready away. It's a few more little issues but spoke long enough
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #15
roadkillrob
Brigadier General
United_States
58
Rep
3,906
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335Cic, 2011 X5 35i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston

iTrader: (14)

I have the Ipod interface in my car and choose to just use a $15 8gb memory stick - it works much better and lets you go through by folder anyway you organize them on the stick and understands standard playlist formats, so in my book it is much better and cheaper to just use a usb flash drive
__________________

2008 E93 335i, GIAC Stage 2, HPF IC, Injen Intake, Defective AR Design DP's with useless cats
2014 X3 35i JB Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #16
CurlyFatAngry
Lieutenant
CurlyFatAngry's Avatar
Canada
8
Rep
505
Posts

 
Drives: his BMW as much as he can !
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn View Post
NANO is the small ipod that is about half the Length and width of a pack of cigarettes

Here's an interesting one, how about if I were to plug a 300Gig HDD full of music into the USB adapter? Would it work?

I hope someone can test this out, that would be great having one of those hooked up. No need for any external media except maybe for the news and sports
That's what i have in my car, 60GB of music on a regular external hardrive ... Works perfect!!!

Check this out http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96309 It's a list of drives you can plug in for music
__________________
'12 BSM w/ Coral red dakota 328i Sport Line, Premium, 40% tint
'11 Deep Sea Blue E92 335i XDrive, M3 spolier, black grille
'08 Jet Black E92 328xi, Premium, Sport, iPod, Black Grille, GP Thunder, Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #17
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
JSpira's Avatar
Austria
93
Rep
5,254
Posts

 
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, München, Wien

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMA View Post
What are the differences of 6FL (factory installed) ipod vs. installing one at the dealer? I realize that the factory option is located under the armrest but are there any other differences???
The retrofit does not display Playlist / Genre / Artist etc. on the CID; instead, it shows CD1, CD2, etc.

The retrofit also has limitations in the number of tracks it will display.

On the other hand, the retrofit manages podcasts better than the factory option.
__________________
Freude am Fahren.

Jonathan




E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired


Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #18
pony_trekker
Second Lieutenant
pony_trekker's Avatar
2
Rep
275
Posts

 
Drives: 535 x drive
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMA View Post
Whats the difference with this Nano vs. the 60g I have had for the past year or two???
Nano's a flash player so there are no moving parts. The 60g has a hard drive (like a computer) so it is succeptible to impact and temperature damage. Leave a hard disk in the car in the cold and it will get FUBARd. You can leave a NANO in though and maybe onlty the screen will get messed up.

I have an old NANO with a delapidated battery that I keep plugged in in the car for tunage.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #19
pony_trekker
Second Lieutenant
pony_trekker's Avatar
2
Rep
275
Posts

 
Drives: 535 x drive
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
I have the Ipod interface in my car and choose to just use a $15 8gb memory stick - it works much better and lets you go through by folder anyway you organize them on the stick and understands standard playlist formats, so in my book it is much better and cheaper to just use a usb flash drive
Will the interface copy protected tunes bought from the itunes store that are copied to a disk and not on an ipod?

I assumed it wouldn't.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #20
Tag
Colonel
Tag's Avatar
United_States
111
Rep
2,626
Posts

 
Drives: bimmer
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CHICAGO

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
Nano's a flash player so there are no moving parts. The 60g has a hard drive (like a computer) so it is succeptible to impact and temperature damage. Leave a hard disk in the car in the cold and it will get FUBARd. You can leave a NANO in though and maybe onlty the screen will get messed up.

I have an old NANO with a delapidated battery that I keep plugged in in the car for tunage.
That's debatable. I left my 60GB iPod in my car all last winter and it worked fine. It was the harshest winter we had seen in years too. Lot's of days that never reached above freezing.

One thing to note is you can control the temperature in the console area. I suggest you turn the heat on in the winter to help your iPod out.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST