E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New wheels...can't decide!!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #1
abeardo83
Captain
abeardo83's Avatar
United Kingdom
31
Rep
675
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Cheshire

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
New wheels...can't decide!!

Guys I need your help.

I'm looking to pick up some new wheels for my e92 335, but I'm torn between two sets the CM Wheels have for sale.

Calluhan has the M4 style wheels on his and they look bloody awesome, but I also really like the M359 / CSL style wheels that loads of the e92 M3's have. I just can't decide!!!

HELP!!!

M359's
http://www.********.com/index.php?ro...product_id=913

M4's
http://www.********.com/index.php?ro...product_id=646
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 09:51 AM   #2
2die4
Second Lieutenant
17
Rep
234
Posts

Drives: E91 330i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: West Midlands, UK

iTrader: (0)

They will both look good. I'm a fan of the M359 style. Despite it being fairly common it looks great and really suit most cars - especially the E9X series. I got the Avant Garde ones from ******** and whilst they are more expensive they are worth it. They are OEM size so are slightly wider at the front and rear than the ones in the link so the rear concave is HUGE!

Since having the wheels on I've had so many compliments on them.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #3
abeardo83
Captain
abeardo83's Avatar
United Kingdom
31
Rep
675
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Cheshire

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2die4 View Post
They will both look good. I'm a fan of the M359 style. Despite it being fairly common it looks great and really suit most cars - especially the E9X series. I got the Avant Garde ones from ******** and whilst they are more expensive they are worth it. They are OEM size so are slightly wider at the front and rear than the ones in the link so the rear concave is HUGE!

Since having the wheels on I've had so many compliments on them.
What's the difference between the normal ones and the avant garde?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 11:02 AM   #4
AnthonyR
Captain
AnthonyR's Avatar
England
58
Rep
941
Posts

Drives: BMW 435d X-drive
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London/Watford

iTrader: (0)

Personally I like the csl wheels as it goes well with the e92, looks oem rather than the M4s
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #5
Digitalize
Photographer
Digitalize's Avatar
United Kingdom
91
Rep
1,925
Posts

Drives: E91 320D M Sport TiAg
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Weymouth

iTrader: (0)

The Avant Garde replicas of the M359 are OEM face profiles and widths, so are more concave and wider. The ones you linked are basically flat face on the front and personally think they look pretty rubbish because of this.

http://www.********.com/index.php?ro...product_id=810
__________________
Matthew Dear Photography
Automotive & Documentary Photographer
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 11:19 AM   #6
2die4
Second Lieutenant
17
Rep
234
Posts

Drives: E91 330i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: West Midlands, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeardo83 View Post
What's the difference between the normal ones and the avant garde?
The Avant Garde ones are
Front: 19x9 et35
Rear: 19x10 et38

Compared to the ones in the link which are:
Front - 19x8.5 et40
Rear - 19x9.5 et40

So the AG ones are 0.5" wider at the front and back. Same paint finishes as OEM 359M wheels and same concave profile as OEM 359M.

i've got a pre-LCI E91 330i but the AG wheels will also fit on a LCI E91 too so if I decide to buy a newer model E9X in future these wheels will fit.

I was tempted with the M359 style wheels in the link you featured as the AG wheels do cost extra but in the end went for the AG ones and I am so pleased I did. They are absolutely stunning in the flesh and totally transform the look of the car. Coupled with non-runflats the ride quality is so much better than the previous 18" MV3's alloys.

These are them on my E91:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=37
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 03:58 AM   #7
Wobble
Second Lieutenant
England
5
Rep
296
Posts

Drives: E91 Bluewater 325d m sport
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Cheshire

iTrader: (0)

359m for me bud x
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 04:53 AM   #8
Calluhan
Lieutenant
Calluhan's Avatar
United Kingdom
30
Rep
417
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 335D
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Cleveleys Lancashire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeardo83 View Post
Guys I need your help.

I'm looking to pick up some new wheels for my e92 335, but I'm torn between two sets the CM Wheels have for sale.

Calluhan has the M4 style wheels on his and they look bloody awesome, but I also really like the M359 / CSL style wheels that loads of the e92 M3's have. I just can't decide!!!

HELP!!!

M359's
http://www.********.com/index.php?ro...product_id=913

M4's
http://www.********.com/index.php?ro...product_id=646
Mine are M5 reps mate. Quite different when you look
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 05:41 AM   #9
abeardo83
Captain
abeardo83's Avatar
United Kingdom
31
Rep
675
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Cheshire

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calluhan View Post
Mine are M5 reps mate. Quite different when you look
You are indeed right, haha!

I've made my mind up... compared the M4 and the M5 wheels... think i'll be getting the M5 ones.

Thanks for the feedback though folks - much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 05:44 AM   #10
Russbmw
Major
Russbmw's Avatar
United Kingdom
122
Rep
1,362
Posts

Drives: '15 F32 435i Sport
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Surrey, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Looks-wise, the M4 style look lovely on the car.

The CSL style wheels are nice, but have been done to death IMO - and if I'm being honest, I much prefer them on the e46.

However..........

Diamond cut wheels look lovely but are inevitably a pain the ass, as the finish always ends up getting tarnished in some way or other. They're simply not up to constant hammering from shitty UK roads, wet, salted and generally covered in crap UK roads.

Even my 7 months old wheels on the 435 look like they might be starting to go a bit funky through no fault of my own - they're not kerbed or scratched, cleaned and dried regularly with non acidic cleaner, etc. - although i'm not especially fussed, because I'll be taking them back under warranty if they do.

I had the same M4 style wheels intially on my e92:










Changed them after about 3 months or so as the lacquer was already starting to go milky around the centre caps of al the wheels (no damage whatseover sustained to any part of the wheel to initiate this!).



I went for Quantum44's S1...lovely wheels, they used to get a lot of attention at shows and stuff, as they'd only just come out at the time. I'm very tempted to get the 20" versions (with normal tyres) for my 435 in a years time when the runflat tyres will need replacing at vast expense., so I might as well change the whole lot for something better.





__________________
Make it idiot proof, and someone will build a better idiot.

CLICK ON MY SIGNATURE PICTURE BELOW FOR MY DETAILING WORK PAGE!

Last edited by Russbmw; 02-15-2016 at 05:49 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 05:57 AM   #11
abeardo83
Captain
abeardo83's Avatar
United Kingdom
31
Rep
675
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Cheshire

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
Looks-wise, the M4 style look lovely on the car.

The CSL style wheels are nice, but have been done to death IMO - and if I'm being honest, I much prefer them on the e46.

However..........

Diamond cut wheels look lovely but are inevitably a pain the ass, as the finish always ends up getting tarnished in some way or other. They're simply not up to constant hammering from shitty UK roads, wet, salted and generally covered in crap UK roads.

Even my 7 months old wheels on the 435 look like they might be starting to go a bit funky through no fault of my own - they're not kerbed or scratched, cleaned and dried regularly with non acidic cleaner, etc. - although i'm not especially fussed, because I'll be taking them back under warranty if they do.

I had the same M4 style wheels intially on my e92:










Changed them after about 3 months or so as the lacquer was already starting to go milky around the centre caps of al the wheels (no damage whatseover sustained to any part of the wheel to initiate this!).



I went for Quantum44's S1...lovely wheels, they used to get a lot of attention at shows and stuff, as they'd only just come out at the time. I'm very tempted to get the 20" versions (with normal tyres) for my 435 in a years time when the runflat tyres will need replacing at vast expense., so I might as well change the whole lot for something better.





I had the same issue on the Diamond Cut wheels on my S2000. It just seems that no matter what you do, diamond cut wheels start to fade / tarnish and after 2years, need re-doing again.

I'll be getting some C5 with them too, to try and stave it off for as long as possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 06:01 AM   #12
Russbmw
Major
Russbmw's Avatar
United Kingdom
122
Rep
1,362
Posts

Drives: '15 F32 435i Sport
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Surrey, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I C5'd my 435 wheels within 2 weeks of getting the car.
__________________
Make it idiot proof, and someone will build a better idiot.

CLICK ON MY SIGNATURE PICTURE BELOW FOR MY DETAILING WORK PAGE!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 06:07 AM   #13
Russbmw
Major
Russbmw's Avatar
United Kingdom
122
Rep
1,362
Posts

Drives: '15 F32 435i Sport
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Surrey, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I always find it hard to choose wheel when looking online. When I took my routine pilgrimage to Mark down at BMAutosport, I found a couple of wheels that I'd not really considered until I saw them in the metal.. They were the ones below, and honestly, looked really, really nice!

http://www.bmautosport.co.uk/showroo..._23_122_32_211

http://www.bmautosport.co.uk/showroo..._23_122_32_211
__________________
Make it idiot proof, and someone will build a better idiot.

CLICK ON MY SIGNATURE PICTURE BELOW FOR MY DETAILING WORK PAGE!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 09:47 AM   #14
Calluhan
Lieutenant
Calluhan's Avatar
United Kingdom
30
Rep
417
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 335D
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Cleveleys Lancashire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
I always find it hard to choose wheel when looking online. When I took my routine pilgrimage to Mark down at BMAutosport, I found a couple of wheels that I'd not really considered until I saw them in the metal.. They were the ones below, and honestly, looked really, really nice!

http://www.bmautosport.co.uk/showroo..._23_122_32_211

http://www.bmautosport.co.uk/showroo..._23_122_32_211
I had the Cades Apollo from Mark at BMAutosport on my M5. Loved them.

As for the finish of the M5 reps I agree with all posted here, the finish won't last. I plan to refinish the lacquered only parts with a dark metallic silver myself in the spring.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:01 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST