E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Typical cost of M3 control arm install?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-14-2016, 10:36 PM   #1
Game
Major General
Game's Avatar
United_States
445
Rep
6,723
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lockport/Chicago, IL

iTrader: (23)

Typical cost of M3 control arm install?

Just trying to get a feel of what the going rate is nowadays.

What have you guys paid? Was just quoted $260 by my mechanic.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
Adieu
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 335d
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: socal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Just trying to get a feel of what the going rate is nowadays.

What have you guys paid? Was just quoted $260 by my mechanic.
Almost exactly the price of two lowprofile jacks, two ramps, a torque wrench, and a decent kit of wrenches and sockets


Hmmmm....
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Camman
What am I doing here?
United_States
41
Rep
319
Posts

Drives: 07 328i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: H-Tizzle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adieu View Post
Almost exactly the price of two lowprofile jacks, two ramps, a torque wrench, and a decent kit of wrenches and sockets


Hmmmm....
Yes, this can be done yourself but be warned that sometimes the lower control arm is a bitch to remove at the steering knuckle. I could not knock the ball joint at the knuckle for the life of me. I didn't have the special removal tools so I had to button it back up and am taking it to a shop to have it done.

So if you want to do it yourself, make sure to do some research on specialty tools that might be needed to remove the old control arms.
__________________
:Instagram: N52 : 6MT : ZSP : ZPP : BC Racing Coilovers : BMW PE :
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #4
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
Cloud9blue's Avatar
United_States
323
Rep
3,034
Posts

Drives: around the potholes
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (13)

$260 w/ alignment?

If so, that's pretty fair. M3 arms push out more than the non-M ones, so you have to realign the toe and camber angles.
__________________
09 BMW E92 335i: Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline / Vorshlag / APEX Full Modlist
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 12:42 AM   #5
hongsc
Captain
United_States
99
Rep
908
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 328i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Amazon Prime

iTrader: (1)

Is this for the tension struts and lower control arms? If so, the price sounds good for a shop. Found a local member for $150 to do the install.
__________________
2011 BMW 328i Space Grey|18" Avant Garde m359|Michelin Pilot Sport A/S2|Eibach Pro-Kit Springs|Koni FSD|Lux Angel Eyes|Stoptech|Hawk 5.0|aFe Race Pipes|BMW PE
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 01:37 AM   #6
Game
Major General
Game's Avatar
United_States
445
Rep
6,723
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lockport/Chicago, IL

iTrader: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adieu View Post
Almost exactly the price of two lowprofile jacks, two ramps, a torque wrench, and a decent kit of wrenches and sockets


Hmmmm....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camman View Post
Yes, this can be done yourself but be warned that sometimes the lower control arm is a bitch to remove at the steering knuckle. I could not knock the ball joint at the knuckle for the life of me. I didn't have the special removal tools so I had to button it back up and am taking it to a shop to have it done.

So if you want to do it yourself, make sure to do some research on specialty tools that might be needed to remove the old control arms.
Yeah this car is at 108k miles and been through 10 midwest winters, I'd rather not deal with the headache that will surely ensue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
$260 w/ alignment?

If so, that's pretty fair. M3 arms push out more than the non-M ones, so you have to realign the toe and camber angles.
No alignment, however I have lifetime alignments at Firestone. The $260 was quoted by LukeG Workshop if you're familiar with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongsc View Post
Is this for the tension struts and lower control arms? If so, the price sounds good for a shop. Found a local member for $150 to do the install.
This is for the upper and lower control arms for the front. I'd love to pay $150 .
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 12:08 AM   #7
hongsc
Captain
United_States
99
Rep
908
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 328i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Amazon Prime

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
This is for the upper and lower control arms for the front. I'd love to pay $150 .
Well you can't compare a shop to a local member. I called a shop and they wanted $400 for the install, so $260 isn't that bad at all. And also have Firestone for alignment. Hopefully all of this gets installed next week, so I can take it to Firestone on Sunday.
__________________
2011 BMW 328i Space Grey|18" Avant Garde m359|Michelin Pilot Sport A/S2|Eibach Pro-Kit Springs|Koni FSD|Lux Angel Eyes|Stoptech|Hawk 5.0|aFe Race Pipes|BMW PE
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 07:19 AM   #8
Adieu
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 335d
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: socal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camman View Post
Yes, this can be done yourself but be warned that sometimes the lower control arm is a bitch to remove at the steering knuckle. I could not knock the ball joint at the knuckle for the life of me. I didn't have the special removal tools so I had to button it back up and am taking it to a shop to have it done.

So if you want to do it yourself, make sure to do some research on specialty tools that might be needed to remove the old control arms.
Blowtorch & candle
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 07:20 AM   #9
Adieu
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 335d
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: socal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Yeah this car is at 108k miles and been through 10 midwest winters, I'd rather not deal with the headache that will surely ensue.



No alignment, however I have lifetime alignments at Firestone. The $260 was quoted by LukeG Workshop if you're familiar with him.



This is for the upper and lower control arms for the front. I'd love to pay $150 .

Firestone doesnt count, afaik.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST