E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Typical cost of M3 control arm install?

09-14-2016, 10:36 PM   #1
Game
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Typical cost of M3 control arm install?

Just trying to get a feel of what the going rate is nowadays.

What have you guys paid? Was just quoted $260 by my mechanic.
      09-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
Adieu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Just trying to get a feel of what the going rate is nowadays.

What have you guys paid? Was just quoted $260 by my mechanic.
Almost exactly the price of two lowprofile jacks, two ramps, a torque wrench, and a decent kit of wrenches and sockets

Hmmmm....
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Camman
What am I doing here?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adieu View Post
Almost exactly the price of two lowprofile jacks, two ramps, a torque wrench, and a decent kit of wrenches and sockets

Hmmmm....
Yes, this can be done yourself but be warned that sometimes the lower control arm is a bitch to remove at the steering knuckle. I could not knock the ball joint at the knuckle for the life of me. I didn't have the special removal tools so I had to button it back up and am taking it to a shop to have it done.

So if you want to do it yourself, make sure to do some research on specialty tools that might be needed to remove the old control arms.
      09-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #4
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

$260 w/ alignment?

If so, that's pretty fair. M3 arms push out more than the non-M ones, so you have to realign the toe and camber angles.
      09-22-2016, 12:42 AM   #5
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Is this for the tension struts and lower control arms? If so, the price sounds good for a shop. Found a local member for $150 to do the install.
      09-22-2016, 01:37 AM   #6
Game
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adieu View Post

Hmmmm....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camman View Post
Yes, this can be done yourself but be warned that sometimes the lower control arm is a bitch to remove at the steering knuckle. I could not knock the ball joint at the knuckle for the life of me. I didn't have the special removal tools so I had to button it back up and am taking it to a shop to have it done.

So if you want to do it yourself, make sure to do some research on specialty tools that might be needed to remove the old control arms.
Yeah this car is at 108k miles and been through 10 midwest winters, I'd rather not deal with the headache that will surely ensue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
$260 w/ alignment?

If so, that's pretty fair. M3 arms push out more than the non-M ones, so you have to realign the toe and camber angles.
No alignment, however I have lifetime alignments at Firestone. The $260 was quoted by LukeG Workshop if you're familiar with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongsc View Post
Is this for the tension struts and lower control arms? If so, the price sounds good for a shop. Found a local member for $150 to do the install.
This is for the upper and lower control arms for the front. I'd love to pay $150 .
      09-23-2016, 12:08 AM   #7
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Quote:
This is for the upper and lower control arms for the front. I'd love to pay $150 .
Well you can't compare a shop to a local member. I called a shop and they wanted $400 for the install, so $260 isn't that bad at all. And also have Firestone for alignment. Hopefully all of this gets installed next week, so I can take it to Firestone on Sunday.
      09-23-2016, 07:19 AM   #8
Adieu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camman View Post

Blowtorch & candle
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 07:20 AM   #9
Adieu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yeah this car is at 108k miles and been through 10 midwest winters, I'd rather not deal with the headache that will surely ensue.

No alignment, however I have lifetime alignments at Firestone. The $260 was quoted by LukeG Workshop if you're familiar with him.

Firestone doesnt count, afaik.
Appreciate 0