E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > "Radius Arm" Bushing?

11-19-2016, 10:47 PM   #1
Hpirx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335xi

"Radius Arm" Bushing?

So my trusted mechanic pointed out to me the back and forth slop in my front wheels, rolling from a stop. He diagnosed it as worn "radius arm" bushings.
I have not run across this term in my E90post.com travels and I was wondering if it is analogous to some other more familiar term/part in the 335xi front suspension. While not a specialty BMW shop he himself drive a nice 5 series and has done good work for me in the past, so I know he is familiar with the brand.
He's an older gentleman (like myself) and I don't want to call him out over a trivial nomenclature issue. Is this analogous to the control arm? Just curious so I can obsess/research over this till it's fixed.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 06:51 PM   #2
thakid22
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E60 535i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpirx View Post
So my trusted mechanic pointed out to me the back and forth slop in my front wheels, rolling from a stop. He diagnosed it as worn "radius arm" bushings.
I have not run across this term in my E90post.com travels and I was wondering if it is analogous to some other more familiar term/part in the 335xi front suspension. While not a specialty BMW shop he himself drive a nice 5 series and has done good work for me in the past, so I know he is familiar with the brand.
He's an older gentleman (like myself) and I don't want to call him out over a trivial nomenclature issue. Is this analogous to the control arm? Just curious so I can obsess/research over this till it's fixed.
The radius rod is indeed another name for a control arm. It is tasked with preventing fore aft movement of the wheel in relation to the chassis. If your mechanic cut his teeth on Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Imports, that explains his recognizing this part as a radius rod.

In BMW land, it is referred to as a lower control arm or tension strut.

They serve the same function.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 07:52 PM   #3
Hpirx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335xi

Well, he may have "cut his teeth" on Packard's, but I trust his extensive experience.
Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Appreciate 0