E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > ST XA Coilovers for E90 335i or other suggestions

05-28-2016, 02:12 AM   #1
kmx
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335i MSport

ST XA Coilovers for E90 335i or other suggestions

Hello

Im keen to improve the handling and rid my 07 E90 335i MSport of the front tyre gap.

Ive been throwing around the idea of EIBACH/H&R springs and a lower perch for the fronts but i think spending a bit more on coil overs is the right thing to do. I am aware that im at the lower spend bracket of coil overs so would like a bit of advice.

Im never going to track the car but i do want the ability to adjust height and damper.

Ive been recommended the ST XA coil overs as the KW V2s are just too expensive. The key difference seems to be stainless vs galv and im wondering how much of a problem is this in NZ. I live in Auckland where we dont have snow or salted roads.

Does anyone have any thoughts or alternatives which are roughly the same price.

Im currently on stock OEM mags style 194 on 17" and tyres and will be for a while. The mags and tyres i want eventually are pricey.

Im keen to shave off about 20-25mm from the front and also keen to understand if i need anything else other than coilovers to do this like control arms to adjust camber etc to keep the car happy and the cert guy.

I am buying in NZ so we dont have the same huge range as some of you guys.

On some of my old jappa cars the camber changed quite dramatically when lowered, is this the same for the E90 335i?

Sorry totally new to this on BMW and appreciate any feedback.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 04:36 AM   #2
Radical_53
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: 330d E91 LCI

I went the same route and bought a set of ST XA. To be sure I went ahead and asked KW about the differences to their own V2 kit and, as you said, it's really only the stainless steel material.
As earlier KW V2 were galvanized also, I don't see where this could be an issue.

My personal alternatives were Bilstein B12 on the "cheap" side and Íhlins or Bilstein B16 on the "expensive" side.
B12 sounded nice, but the possible height differences bothered me. I also didn't like the idea that the shocks would always require maintenance as their bushings seem to run dry over time.
The same thing then goes for the B16, apparently an old problem that still hasn't been fixed correctly.
Íhlins, on the other hand, sounded very nice all around and seem to offer a good (adjustable) bandwidth between road and track use.
Some folks said that their springs would often be too soft and, a big downside to me, is that they offer just a single kit for the whole E90 series (and one for M3, of course).
So one type of springs for 318i to 335d, possible even 1-series? Doesn't cut it for me, not at that price point.

I'm sure that other options are better if you intend to track your car regularly, better than ST XA, but their performance & quality should be top-notch.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2016, 05:41 AM   #3
cochran
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_53
I went the same route and bought a set of ST XA. To be sure I went ahead and asked KW about the differences to their own V2 kit and, as you said, it's really only the stainless steel material.
As earlier KW V2 were galvanized also, I don't see where this could be an issue.

My personal alternatives were Bilstein B12 on the "cheap" side and Íhlins or Bilstein B16 on the "expensive" side.
B12 sounded nice, but the possible height differences bothered me. I also didn't like the idea that the shocks would always require maintenance as their bushings seem to run dry over time.
The same thing then goes for the B16, apparently an old problem that still hasn't been fixed correctly.
Íhlins, on the other hand, sounded very nice all around and seem to offer a good (adjustable) bandwidth between road and track use.
Some folks said that their springs would often be too soft and, a big downside to me, is that they offer just a single kit for the whole E90 series (and one for M3, of course).
So one type of springs for 318i to 335d, possible even 1-series? Doesn't cut it for me, not at that price point.

I'm sure that other options are better if you intend to track your car regularly, better than ST XA, but their performance & quality should be top-notch.
How uncomfortable is the drive with st's
      05-29-2016, 06:42 AM   #4
kmx
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_53

Thank you mate.

I can't seem to find a bad review about them so might just go for it.

Just to check one more thing, do I need to buy new adjustable control arms to deal with the camber changing when I lower the car or is this not the case with e90. A friend had advised me to be aware that with most cars when lowered the camber changes and I may need to adjust control arms to correct this. Keen to hear your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 04:18 PM   #5
Radical_53
Registered
Germany
Rep

It is the case here too, at least if you want to keep camber at "stock suspension" values.
The M sport suspension already has different values and the Performance suspension goes down the same route even further.
The E90 has almost zero camber normally, so most people rather try to increase this a little to gain more stability under heavy cornering.
My goal was to reach roughly 1░30' through M3 parts, slightly lowered ride height (compared to stock M suspension) and the maximum the upper strut mount allows (after removal of the centering pin).
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2016, 04:38 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

The galvanized concerns are only an issue in the salt/snow areas. Even then they still last quite a few years. Even more if you wash your car regularly and the suspension. Lot of guys are spraying an extra layer of clear coat on the springs and coilover body for extra protection.

|HPB LED| |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |Magnaflow| |AFE| |Shifteck| |Injen| Pure Turbos | Hexon Turbos | Vargas Turbos|Coding Services
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
kmx
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep

Great. Thanks guys.

I wash my car weekly. Ok will take a look at how I manage camber. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #8
Radical_53
Registered
Germany
Rep

Just a little addition: The stainless version *may* be of advantage for heavy snow & salt, but even here (we do have lots of both) the "standard" version does fine.
I've run an older KW V2 years ago (same galvanized package as ST runs now) and an AP coilover, both did fine after many winters.
One thing that really makes sense though is to keep the thread clean & preferably lubed with some dry lube to prevent the collars from getting stuck.
Appreciate 0