E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Another rattle bites the dust on my E92

09-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i MSport > Merc C220CDI

Talking Another rattle bites the dust on my E92

After only covering 4k in my E92 it had developed an annoying rattle/buzz which seemed to be coming from the dash/speedo/airvents.
I had lent a bmw E92 about 3 months ago for a week which had covered roughly the same mileage and I'd noticed the same rattle on that - however, as it wasn't my car I didn't bother and handed it back!

After previously owning an 07 E92, I whipped off the cover above the pedals, and greased up all the springs (which buzzed before), and taped up anything that moved but it was still there!!Again pulling out the airvents and taping down anything I could I still hadn't found it.

After more investigation (banging various parts of my car with my fist) I noticed the rattle was from the drivers door... then, I found the little b@st@rd... the puddle light on the bottom of the door, a pretty poor fit, so just bunged some packing between the light housing and the door.. and hey presto, no more rattle! (well for now anyway!) Yes it was in the door but it defo sounded it was from behind the speedo.

Hopefully it might save someone the grief of going mad trying to find it if its a regular problem?

Much Love

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 03:30 AM   #2
m33porsche
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C2S

nice - I've got a door rattle that occassionally makes an appearence but couldn't trace it - didn't think to look at the puddle light.....
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

nice find!

I tend to go (rather foolishly)to car wash centres, where a team of illegals will wash the motor for a tenner etc, (aka swirl marks for a tenner!) sometimes not too long after I an hear the door rattle, both passenger and driver, I suspect its the chemicals they use drying out the door rubber, as after a treatment with gummi fledge the noise goes!
Appreciate 0