E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Worried about getting a tune

09-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
woody2223
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 black sapphire coupe JB+

Garage List
2007 335i coupe  [0.00]
Worried about getting a tune

I've been contemplating getting a tune for my car, first I was going to get SSTT and then JB3 came out and it was just a couple hundred more. Now my problem is that I am worried about reliability with the tune on my car. I have 37,000 miles on my car so my warranty is getting close to being over and when I worked for BMW I saw so many people come in out of warranty and get raped on the charge for work done on their car. I really would like to put some more power to the ground but I also don't have spare cash laying around my house to just throw at BMW. All help would be greatly appreciated in making a decision on what tune and what chances of failure there would be. Also if you can't give me genuine help please don't comment. I've seen so many posts on this forum where someone is looking for help and instead they get a bunch of people putting smartass comments up instead.
P.S. How much boost does a JB3 put out with no other mods?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
ATSR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1977 Honda Civic

For all the info regarding the power increase of the JB3, click on the following link: http://www.burgertuning.com/jb3.htm

As far as I've read on the forums and by personal experience (I have a JB1), you can't go wrong with any of the products from Burger Motorsports. Great product, outstanding customer service and by far the most bang for your buck. I still haven't heard about any problems regarding warranty with any of their products either. For me, that is MUCH more important than how many horsepower the tune has.

BTW, I think you should get the intake as well It's cheap, makes your car sound better and you get ~10whp.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody2223 View Post
I've been contemplating getting a tune for my car, first I was going to get SSTT and then JB3 came out and it was just a couple hundred more. Now my problem is that I am worried about reliability with the tune on my car. I have 37,000 miles on my car so my warranty is getting close to being over and when I worked for BMW I saw so many people come in out of warranty and get raped on the charge for work done on their car. I really would like to put some more power to the ground but I also don't have spare cash laying around my house to just throw at BMW. All help would be greatly appreciated in making a decision on what tune and what chances of failure there would be. Also if you can't give me genuine help please don't comment. I've seen so many posts on this forum where someone is looking for help and instead they get a bunch of people putting smartass comments up instead.
P.S. How much boost does a JB3 put out with no other mods?
Thanks
As far as best bang for the buck try JB3. As far as reliability,...no one really knows. However, Dinan has a warranty on their product...but you pay for it. I think people that have JB3 think it is just as reliable as any other if not more so. People that have Vishnu think theirs is better because it controls more parameters and thus "better control". The V3 so far has been limp free for me and as far as I have read for most everyone else as well. Also the V3 product has a "doomsday map" if you have the newer ECU software that detects tunes. I think the JB is coimng out with one. Also, the JB makes use of the factory DME much more than Vishnu product. Here it is just a matter of which you think is best and there really is no one that knows for sure. Active Autowerks is also worth considering because of the slightly lower boost tune with slightly lower TQ/HP gains (with presumably less wear and tear) and their good reputation. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54_Fan View Post
As far as best bang for the buck try JB3. As far as reliability,...no one really knows. However, Dinan has a warranty on their product...but you pay for it. I think people that have JB3 think it is just as reliable as any other if not more so. People that have Vishnu think theirs is better because it controls more parameters and thus "better control". The V3 so far has been limp free for me and as far as I have read for most everyone else as well. Also the V3 product has a "doomsday map" if you have the newer ECU software that detects tunes. I think the JB is coimng out with one. Also, the JB makes use of the factory DME much more than Vishnu product. Here it is just a matter of which you think is best and there really is no one that knows for sure. Active Autowerks is also worth considering because of the slightly lower boost tune with slightly lower TQ/HP gains (with presumably less wear and tear) and their good reputation. Hope this helps.
The JB3 already has a map that is for 29.2/v81 cars.
      09-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
Lane
Several N54 cars, V1,3, V2.0.2, and V3.1
Rep
Drives: N54s

Why are you worried?

I don't know of any damage, that would have been a tune's fault.
On the other hand, I have a feeling that some people try to keep all the problems out of sight and out of the forums. However, I think it would be a good community member's duty to tell about the problems to help others.

All that I know is that Procede V2 has been reported to deploy higher boost than intended. Some of the reports are misundertandings, but some must be true. However, the excessive boost have happened only with certain combo of mods, typically including DPs. And finally, despite of running higher boost than intended, as a customer I have not received any information from the vendor that it would be dangerous. No damage has been reported here that would have been proven to be a result of a tune. So all in all, I think there is no reason to be worried. If nobody appears with evidence of damage caused by a tune, let's just stop worrying.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
woody2223
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i coupe  [0.00]
Thanks so much guys for all your help! I don't know why I'm so reluctant about getting the tune, It's probably all in my head. I went through the same thing when I finally switched to non-RFT tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
woody2223
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alejotrujillo View Post
For all the info regarding the power increase of the JB3, click on the following link: http://www.burgertuning.com/jb3.htm

As far as I've read on the forums and by personal experience (I have a JB1), you can't go wrong with any of the products from Burger Motorsports. Great product, outstanding customer service and by far the most bang for your buck. I still haven't heard about any problems regarding warranty with any of their products either. For me, that is MUCH more important than how many horsepower the tune has.

BTW, I think you should get the intake as well It's cheap, makes your car sound better and you get ~10whp.
Thanks for the link that answered a lot of questions for me!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #8
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

The SSTT is probably the safest as it keeps the maximum boost at what the car would naturally increase at high altitudes.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #9
superlubricity
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 C63, '08 X3, '04 Ranger

Garage List
not worried at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #10
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlubricity View Post
not worried at all.
Ah yes, the Dinan folks will never be worried as they are backed by a great warranty.

If you need more power then the SSTT offers and still want peace of mind, the Dinan offerings may be the way to go.

(I am not too sure how safe JB3, V3, and AA offerings are...though it seems most problems start to occur once the tunes are installed in conjunction with DPs, CAIs and other goodies)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 12:14 AM   #11
silvertank04
Rep
Drives: tank

All the folks with dinnan should not be worried? Someone please explain. I just talked with a bmw dinnan dealer about purchasing dinnan software and they said that as far as bmw and dinnan it is up in the air right now. They told me not to purchase any products from dinnan including exhaust because i might not have warranty on a car with less than 1k miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 06:37 PM   #12
woody2223
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i coupe  [0.00]
Dinan is completely out, I just don't see the need to pay a premium price for something that gives me a warranty when I only have 13,000 miles left on my warranty. Why do all that when I can get the same amount of performance for a third of the cost?
Appreciate 0