E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Noob Question:: High Octane?

09-25-2008, 01:14 AM   #1
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY

Drives: M-Sport LCI

Noob Question:: High Octane?

Wasup part people, some of yo may know I have SSTT, and I was wondering mixing 100 octane with my 91 octane this weekend for some friendly runs, what do you guys think? Should I wait until my tank is only a quarter left and fill the rest up with 100 octane, will I feel a difference right away? Or do I have to keep filling it up until the car gets used to it? What would you guys do?

Also, my friend told my that if SSTT is not programmed for 100 octane or anything higher, the the feeling of the performance wont really change, is that true..?

I would expect my car to run faster with higher octane..?

I also want to get an after-market Filter + Swoop Scoop with the SSTT and 100 octane, what do you guys think..?

And for the love of anything, please don't tell me to get V3 or JB3 instead. They are great product's and Im not hating but I want to enjoy this power and upgrade until I get bored

Thanx Again!
Turbo>NA is offline   Armenia
      09-25-2008, 01:51 AM   #2
maui86
Captain

Drives: 07 335i

Send a message via AIM to maui86 Send a message via Skype™ to maui86
unless your sstt is being held back by your octane limitations, i dont think you'll get much gains if any. i dont know off hand how much psi you are at, but if you are within the 10-13psi, you might see some gains from timing advance through the higher octane:-) guess it wouldn't hurt to try if you dont mind spending the money. it should only take several full throttle runs through a couple gears at a time to adapt it.

your gains may largely depend how shitty your weather conditions are as well haha. if its really cold where you are at, you might not have as much timing being pulled than hotter areas so gains could be minimal compared to someone in hot, humid weather with high DA(like me). all in all...you'll at least know what your sstt has in it with the 100oct. goodluck and be safe!

teri

ps..i have v3 and you should buy it and put 100oct in...should see a larger gain from the higher octane and psi. just kidding...now im just messing with you.

gotta do what i gotta do to get them donuts
04 spec-v: rip dec07
maui86 is offline   United_States
      09-25-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
Turbo>NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui86 View Post
unless your sstt is being held back by your octane limitations, i dont think you'll get much gains if any. i dont know off hand how much psi you are at, but if you are within the 10-13psi, you might see some gains from timing advance through the higher octane:-) guess it wouldn't hurt to try if you dont mind spending the money. it should only take several full throttle runs through a couple gears at a time to adapt it.

your gains may largely depend how shitty your weather conditions are as well haha. if its really cold where you are at, you might not have as much timing being pulled than hotter areas so gains could be minimal compared to someone in hot, humid weather with high DA(like me). all in all...you'll at least know what your sstt has in it with the 100oct. goodluck and be safe!

teri

ps..i have v3 and you should buy it and put 100oct in...should see a larger gain from the higher octane and psi. just kidding...now im just messing with you.

I see, so you r saying higher octane for pulls is better in cold or warm weather...?
      09-25-2008, 09:14 AM   #4
jpsimon
Team Zissou

Drives: 2015 STi

The car has adaptive timing... you will see nice gains just by adding 100 octane. This has been proven by a bunch of us (20-25+ awhp/awtq in my case)

jpsimon is offline   United_States
      09-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
Turbo>NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
The car has adaptive timing... you will see nice gains just by adding 100 octane. This has been proven by a bunch of us (20-25+ awhp/awtq in my case)
Thats weird. 25+ rwhp/rwtq with 100 octane thats it? I thought it would be like 320 hp and 340 trq to the wheels with 100 octane..?
      09-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
jpsimon
Team Zissou

huh? i'm saying over my previous dyno on 93 octane, i made 20-25 more awhp/awtq just by using 100 octane.

i'm not talking about SSTT, i'm just saying the car adapts well and you will see good gains... using my car as an example

09-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
Turbo>NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
huh? i'm saying over my previous dyno on 93 octane, i made 20-25 more awhp/awtq just by using 100 octane.

i'm not talking about SSTT, i'm just saying the car adapts well and you will see good gains... using my car as an example
lol I see, for a second I thought your car made only 25+ rwp/rwtq all together. I guess I didnt understand. Nice gains btw
      09-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #8
5soko
Brigadier General

Drives: M5

Yes, i put 5 gallons of 100 octane in my 335i with SSTT, i noticed a very nice gain!
Worth it IMO, and i usually use 93 octane. the car adapts itself.
      09-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #9
Turbo>NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko335i View Post
Yes, i put 5 gallons of 100 octane in my 335i with SSTT, i noticed a very nice gain!
So you agree with me? wait till my car has a quarter left of 91 pump and then fill the rest with 100 octane? Is their only one type of 100 octane?
      09-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
5soko
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo>NA View Post
So you agree with me? wait till my car has a quarter left of 91 pump and then fill the rest with 100 octane? Is their only one type of 100 octane?
i used sunoco unleaded 100 octane.

my tank was almost empty and i put in 5-6 gallons of straight 100 octane.
Throttle reponse improved, midrange felt better and it just 'got up and went quicker' in every gear.
      09-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #11
Turbo>NA

Quote:
i used sunoco unleaded 100 octane.

my tank was almost empty and i put in 5-6 gallons of straight 100 octane.
Throttle reponse improved, midrange felt better and it just 'got up and went quicker' in every gear.
Do all 100 octane come unleaded? So im going to wait until my tank is empty and im going to fill 100 octane straight up. I wanna get a filter for the runs also, would do you think of K&N or BMS..?
      09-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #12
5soko
Brigadier General

not sure if all 100 comes unleaded, im gonna guess it depends where you get the 100 octane, but im sure on the pump itself or somewhere it should entitle, leaded or unleaded.

Drop in aftermarket airfilters are good, CAI are good but expensive, Dual cones are cool and a bit pricey aswell but seem to be the most popular but at the same time the most talked about, repeated runs cause heatsoak, all they suck is hot air and etc.

BMS single intake and Dual cones seem to be the cheapest, Vishnu seels Dual cones aswell!

IMHO, do some research on the air filter of your choice, price range, looks, and function. At the end forums give suggestions and recommendations but you are the judge.
      09-25-2008, 10:05 PM   #13
Turbo>NA

Quote:
not sure if all 100 comes unleaded, im gonna guess it depends where you get the 100 octane, but im sure on the pump itself or somewhere it should entitle, leaded or unleaded.

Drop in aftermarket airfilters are good, CAI are good but expensive, Dual cones are cool and a bit pricey aswell but seem to be the most popular but at the same time the most talked about, repeated runs cause heatsoak, all they suck is hot air and etc.

BMS single intake and Dual cones seem to be the cheapest, Vishnu seels Dual cones aswell!

IMHO, do some research on the air filter of your choice, price range, looks, and function. At the end forums give suggestions and recommendations but you are the judge.

Sounds good, I did some research, Im going towards the BMS filter. Is their a big difference between leaded and unleaded 100 octane? Performance? Safety?
      09-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #14
5soko
Brigadier General

Leaded is a NO NO, will more the likely cause damage to your cats, and bmw will more then likely see this and deny warranty since you used non-recommened gasoline.

actually in the racing world, some people actually prefer leaded gasoline since the lead acts as a cushion between the valve and valve seats, some say it even seals valves and cylinder walls, which in turn causes less heat and more power.
5soko is offline   Montenegro
      09-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #15
Turbo>NA

Quote:
Leaded is a NO NO, will more the likely cause damage to your cats, and bmw will more then likely see this and deny warranty since you used non-recommened gasoline.

actually in the racing world, some people actually prefer leaded gasoline since the lead acts as a cushion between the valve and valve seats, some say it even seals valves and cylinder walls, which in turn causes less heat and more power.
Forget that, im not going to take that chance hopefully everything goes well, I hope the prices are not that high when I fill it up
      09-25-2008, 10:21 PM   #16
maui86
Captain

Drives: 07 335i

Send a message via AIM to maui86 Send a message via Skype™ to maui86
Quote:
i stand corrected :-)...i know for v3 and jb3 guys will notice a significant gain because of the higher boost pressure, but i wasn't sure for the sstt since it boosts less(what, 10-12psi?). but since another member tried and used it it seems to be worth the try.

gotta do what i gotta do to get them donuts
04 spec-v: rip dec07
maui86 is offline   United_States
      09-25-2008, 10:36 PM   #17
Turbo>NA

Quick Update::

I found a local gas station, for unleaded 100 octane. I posted in For Sale Section, to get a BMS Filter and im trying to find some Swoop Scoops
      09-28-2008, 02:59 AM   #18
Turbo>NA

UPDATE::

So I stopped by Long's house to pick up my Swoop Scoops, and he installed it for me After that, I took the car for a spin on the Fwy and I did feel a slight difference but im not sure...

Anyways, I then stopped by South Pasadena at a 76 Gas station and filled up my car with 101 unleaded race fuel. My car had a quarter of 91 and I almost filled the rest up with 101...

My performance mod's are the SSTT and the Scoops, and I just added the 101 octane, so I leave the gas station anxious and my heart pounding and I don't know why, I was on a open street and I want to push the throttle a little and I did, I didn't floor it and go crazy, I just wanted to feel a difference. Well I did, the car felt more responsive and more smooth.

After that, I finally hit the Fwy and all I can say is "WOW," this shit really works, The car has so much more power and feels faster, with no lag and harder pulls. I honestly suggest everyone not only SSTT users, but JB,Visnhu, AA, etc.... to all try out race fuel, it makes a WORLDS DIFFERENCE. By the time I came home, my car felt more adapted to the octane and it was pushing more and more I cant wait to get my JB2X and slap it with race fuel.

The only problem I have with the race fuel is that, it 8.21$ a gallon

But other then that, Its amazing!!

Thanks for reading and let me know if anyone needs more info.

And thanks to the memebers here who helped me lol
      09-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #19
5soko
Brigadier General

haha have fun man, i had the same experience! 100 octane does work on our cars.
5soko is offline   Montenegro
      09-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #20
Turbo>NA

Quote:
haha have fun man, i had the same experience! 100 octane does work on our cars.
Yup, I just wish the prices were a little cheaper
      10-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #21
ATC330i
Enlisted Member

Drives: 335i e90 MT (on order)

That's weird, 100 octane gas up hear in Norcal at 76 is $6.29 a gallon.
      10-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #22
jpsimon
Team Zissou

6.26? super cheap, im jealous