E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JuiceBox 3 Review: CRAZY

09-27-2008, 01:35 AM   #1
T2x
Private

Drives: e90 335i

JuiceBox 3 Review: CRAZY

Alright so after hearing so much about the JB3 I just had to get one. Waited for a while and eventually my turn came up on the list and terry sent me a JB3 this thursday. I got it today and after some lunch started installing it immediately. He sent me the 1.1 high boost map for pre 29.2 progman which made me really happy.

As far as the install went, it was actually pretty troublesome for me as I don't have any skills in using tools apparently. The 30-60 mins I thought I was going to spend ended up being 3-5 hours of sweating like crazy, breaking my back trying to figure out how I could mess so many things up. . Everything fits very nicely in BMW's but sometimes getting that fit can be a bit complicated if you are doing it for your first time. What I recommend is that you take picture of how your parts were coming out or just remember very well so that you can get them back to the exact same position. I read the online installation manual a few times but since I didn't have it right in front of me I was making a lot of trips back to the computer. The install seems simple but BMW makes an amazing machine and it actually is pretty complicated if you don't know what you are doing. I ended up making the mistake of putting some of the connectors on wrong and just had a lot of various problems throughout the install. Most of the problems were due to me being stupid and not following the manual to the letter as I should have. What I think though is that Terry might want to write a very newbie friendly installation manual that just has step by step instructions on exactly what to do, with drawn diagrams as well as pictures. And maybe a printed manual could be included. Once you actually get everything down, it's not that hard at all. If you have a friend there who has done a piggy back install on the 335i, it would be a great help.

I'm a pretty skeptical person so I wasn't getting too excited just yet. Time for testing.

After the install was finally done, I was dead tired but still completely ready to do a lot of testing for the rest of the night. I had done a bunch of runs earlier today measuring my speed with the dynolicious app for the iphone. After doing 1-2 WOT pulls to get the car sort of adapted, I was already feeling a very nice increase in power and it was a very smooth. I did a run with the dynolicious app for the iphone and on my first try I had beat my best 0 to 60 run by 1.5 seconds and the app computed that I had gained 50 hp. I got a 4.6 second 0 to 60 with the JB3 (a lot of crap in my trunk). This app might not be the most accurate but after doing a lot of runs, I have found that it's at least consistent. Mind you these runs were done at high altitude and my car had not fully adapted yet as I would find out in a little while. I went down to town and started doing some WOT runs just to see how much of a difference my butt dyno would feel. This is when I started getting really impressed. I was jumping off the line like crazy and after some stupid girls cut me off, i was ready to test the power in a real life situation. We were getting onto the freeway and there were two lanes to get on. They were pretty far ahead of me and normally a pass like that would seem like it would be really close. Wow I was wrong. I floored it and next thing i know im glued to my seat and even from a roll my car starts swaying left and right as the idiotic open differential makes me lose traction. All through this swaying I didn't even think about where the other car was, and next thing I know I'm several car lengths ahead of them and feeling crazy, like I just missed what happened.

At this point in the night, I decided to get my friends inputs on the jb3. We went for a ride and by the time we came back 2 out of the 3 people in the car told me in all seriousness that what just happened was the most amazing experience of their lives. I don't know if I would quite put it that way, but I guess the JB3 impresses some people THAT much.

What I came to realize is that I now use my brake pedal a lot more than I use my gas pedal because of the ridiculous power that I have gained. It feels like one of those days when your car is just doing really great and you floor it and you get a nice surge of power but it doesn't really last. With the JB3, when you floor it you get a surge of power that never stops coming. What throws me off is when i depress the throttle gradually. The power delivery is so smooth that you don't even realize how fast you are actually accelerating. You don't feel like you are really accelerating that fast at all but when you look around and cars are flying by you like they are standing still, you realize whats going on.

The 335i is a great machine, a true work of art by BMW, but I've always felt as if it was a caged animal, held back for some reason. With the JB3, I feel like somebody unleashed the beast in this car, and I really have no complaints. I mean the install for me was a pain but it was mostly because I just made a lot of stupid mistakes.

So to recap, this is my impression of the JB3.

1. Obviously Terry knows what he is doing when it comes to changing the 335i from a winner into a beast.

2. The JB3 has a smooth power delivery and works exactly how you would expect it to. Low end power is increased decently but as soon as you get into slightly higher RPM's or you really press down that throttle, you are gone.

3. The JB3 really does turn a car that is already great into something that you demands a lot of respect. All that power needs to be used in moderation. Stay safe and don't get carried away because although the JB3 gets you to lightspeed in seconds, your brakes are still the same!

4. When I put the pedal to the metal, even if i don't brake boost or im starting from a roll, I lose traction and sway left and right but still fly like crazy. I need an LSD :].

5. I did a lot of runs tonight, and the funny thing is that it seems like every time I do another WOT run it gets faster.

6. The wait for the JB3 is very long for a reason, this is really something special.

7. Customizable maps and/or a map specifically for 100 octane gas would complete the JB3.

8. An included printed manual would be a nice touch.

If anybody has any questions about my experience, please feel free to ask

And once again, thank you Terry. Maybe the install was a b*tch for me but after I saw what it has done for my car, I have no complaints whatsoever.

Next mods on the list are some high flow downpipes and an intake. With those, the JB3, and some 100 octane gas, I can't really even imagine what this car is gonna do.
      09-27-2008, 01:39 AM   #2
Jsnscot
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

Nice review! Thanks!
      09-27-2008, 01:40 AM   #3
M.A.C.K.
Banned

Drives: E90 335i

Glad you are happy........congrats
      09-27-2008, 01:55 AM   #4
uabimmer
Україна

Drives: JB e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2003 330i  [0.00]
very nice....

Quote:
it seems like every time I do another WOT run it gets faster.

uabimmer is offline   Ukraine
      09-27-2008, 01:58 AM   #5
cu_north
Seasoned Lurker

Drives: 2007 E90 335i Black/Black

Alright

SOLD.
      09-27-2008, 02:16 AM   #6
JoeyFiasco
Major

Drives: '09 Coupe

congrats man, nice review too
      09-27-2008, 03:23 AM   #7
T2x
Private

Thanks for the support guys. I'll update this thread after a have a few more days experience with the chip and tell you how it has affected my MPG and oil temps.
      09-27-2008, 06:22 AM   #8
RiXst3r

Drives: M235i

Send a message via AIM to RiXst3r
congrats
      09-27-2008, 06:41 AM   #9
roadkillrob
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 335Cic, 2011 X5 35i

Great to here - why where you waiting for it for so long - was it the plug and play model you put in?

2008 E93 335i, GIAC Stage 2, HPF IC, Injen Intake, Defective AR Design DP's with useless cats
2014 X3 35i JB Stage 1
roadkillrob is offline   United_States
      09-27-2008, 07:17 AM   #10
RiXst3r

Drives: M235i

Send a message via AIM to RiXst3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Great to here - why where you waiting for it for so long - was it the plug and play model you put in?
He got on the waiting list while the pnp was out of stock.

-Rick
      09-27-2008, 07:33 AM   #11
SennaZ
been there... done that

Drives: 2008 335i

I haven't installed mine yet, so any specific tips where you had problems, other than getting everything back in place?
      09-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #12
JOe335i
Lieutenant

Drives: R32-08STI-e92335i

they dont include instructions? i hope they change that, that means i have to print out te jb2 install PDF for the first part of the install for the JB3 and then the JB3 install for the second part of the install.
i guess that really is the ONLY flaw.
      09-27-2008, 08:25 AM   #13
hotrod182

Drives: 07 335i, 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOe335i View Post
they dont include instructions? i hope they change that, that means i have to print out te jb2 install PDF for the first part of the install for the JB3 and then the JB3 install for the second part of the install.
i guess that really is the ONLY flaw.
Sending big manuals would only make the package a lot bigger and heavier, making shipping more of an issue. We should already be thankful of the fast shipping that Terry provides right now, because it is cheap enough for him. I'm sure if someone doesn't have access to a printer/computer, Terry would gladly ship out a set of instructions too.
2008 Monaco Blue JB3 2.0 335i Coupe. 11.33 @ 132.77 mph (N54 trap speed WR)
60-130mph: 6.95 seconds stock turbo WR (.16% slope)

Last edited by hotrod182; 09-27-2008 at 10:01 AM.
      09-27-2008, 09:20 AM   #14
RMA
Major

Drives: 2009 135i M sport coupe

Garage List
Great. Reading this post makes me want one more & more (may have to sell my SSTT sooner than later I guess).
      09-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #15
JOe335i
Lieutenant

Drives: R32-08STI-e92335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
Sending big manuals would only make the package a lot bigger and heavier, making shipping more of an issue. We should already be thankful of the fast shipping that Terry provides right now, because it is cheap enough for him. I'm sure someone doesn't have access to a printer/computer, Terry would gladly ship out a set of instructions too.

i dunno how heavy can a 10 page instructions be? maybe they will do something soon. i aint complaining, i can print out the first few pages of the JB2 install and print the others pages from the JB3 install, but i would guess for 780 bucks he would include it. just a thought.

sorry for ramble. as we were
      09-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #16
T2x
Private

Well as far as recommendations go for the install:

Have the proper tools! A small flat head screwdriver is very important. Basically the kind you open watches with. You can actually use it for every step that doesn't involve removing 8 mm or 10 mm bolts. All the bolts you'll be removing in the engine are 8 mm and the one for the battery in the back is 10 mm. A picture of the screwdriver is here, it's the one right below the larger flat head and its all silver. http://www.minidolls.com/Blog/wirecontents.jpg

Make sure your car is cooled down so you don't burn yourself on the engine components.

Have a very good source of light, like one of those hanging lightbulbs(sorry don't know the name haha) that you can attack to the hooks on top of the hood.

Every step should not take too much force, everything comes apart pretty easily if you are doing it right so take the time to figure out whats wrong if somethings isn't coming out.

The ecu has 4 clips, 2 on the left side and 2 on the right, if you are looking at it from the front of the car to the back. They are connected to the black pieces of plastic on the sides of the ecu and you basically just stick your finger under the sides at both ends of the black plastic and push the clip towards whatever end of the plastic you are on to make it pop off. I couldn't figure this part out for a while because i kept thinking you had to somehow slide the black pieces but really there are just clips underneath them.

Once you have the ecu open, you need to maneuver your fingers around some wires in order to get to the sliders on each side of the DME's. They are the only big box connectors in the ecu really. You take the passenger side one out first by gripping the sides of the slider which have a big dip in them so you can grip it properly. As you slide the slider out, the connector comes off because the slider has an angled path which guides it out. The slider does have two little clips on the inside that stop it from coming out sometimes. I got it out once by pushing in the little holes that run along the slider to push the clips out of the way but eventually I figured out that if you wiggle it the right way it will just pop out. You get the driver side DME connector out the same way except it was a lot harder for me to do the right than to do the left for some reason.

Now that you have the big box connectors out, you can take the sliders that kept them in completely out of the DME connectors and put them aside. For the next step, you NEED the small flathead screwdriver. On the sides of the DME, the connectors slide out, but to get them out you need to take off the 1 clip for each one that holds them. The way to do this is first shine some light on the end of it so you can see the clip that I'm talking about. The walls around the sides of the connector are flat but at a certain point there is a small break and there is a piece that is pretty small and is actually a clip holding the edge of the connector from coming out. You just push the flathead into the space between that small clip and the connector and then push the end of the flat head up(if the clip is on top of the connector) to undo the clip and push the connector out a little bit all at the same time. then you can just use your finger nail to slide the connector out easily by pulling from the top and bottom of it towards you. None of the things you do with the flathead should take a lot of effort so if the connectors don't slide out easily, don't force it.

After you are all done getting the connectors out and hooking everything up, go back and look at the pictures and make sure all the wire colors match up. I made the mistake of attaching the white oem connector to the red jb3 connector, exactly what it said not to do in the online manual, but I didn't have it on hand so I didn't realize. Getting the big dme connectors back in is pretty easy if you are doing it right. You put the sliders back in but they have to be pulled out to a certain distance that you can feel if u pull back on them until they stop. Once its seated properly then you push the slider in and if everything is right the connector will start moving down and lock into place. If that doesn't happen or its too hard, check the seating and make sure you are doing it right as sometimes it can take a few wiggles to get it on right.

When you are putting the ecu cover back on, make sure that all the wires are folded down and out of the way so that you dont accidentally catch any of them with the hooks of the ecu cover. The ecu cover goes back on pretty easily once you get it in the right place. Make sure the 4 hooks on the dark plastic pieces are on the outsides of the connections on the bottom part of the ecu so that the seat properly. Once all 4 are in the right spots, you can just push down on the tops of the dark plastic in the corners and they will click in. Then you use the front and black sliders to lock it into place.

Getting the cowl back on properly was the hardest part for me. That's the part that is only held down by 2 bolts. You have to put it in at sort of a downward angle so that you can get the clips underneath the part that faces away from you to seat on the cushioning the runs along the edges of it. Make sure before you put the cowl in the the cushioning is pushed completely on. When the cowl goes on, it should basically wrap around that cushion pretty nicely. If you did it wrong then the air filter wont go back on. Make sure you have the flathead ready for getting the cable bundle back into the cowl as well as those clips are hard to get undone otherwise. Then make sure you push the rail with the other cables back in too and put the cover back on the rail if you took it off.

After all of that, everything else is pretty easy.

I definitely left out a lot of steps but just keep what I said in mind when you are doing the things I outlined.

Also, make sure you keep all your tools on a table or something away from the engine compartment so that you don't leave anything in there and then destroy your hood when you try to close it on a wrench or something.

Also, maybe make a checklist of the stuff you took off so you can be sure you put it back on before you start closing everything up.

Everything you do related to the install is only hard if you don't know what you are doing, after you figure out how everything works then its really not a big deal.

Good luck!
      09-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #17
5soko
Brigadier General

Drives: M5

WOW those were some long writes ups!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 5soko; 09-27-2008 at 06:19 PM.
5soko is offline   Montenegro
      09-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #18
Longbow64
_______

Drives: 09 E90 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

Awesome review. Give us an update in a couple months so we can see how the JB3 affects the car long term.
      09-27-2008, 06:22 PM   #19
dragazn
Captain

Drives: i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [2.88]
Send a message via Yahoo to dragazn
If I have JB3 install 29.2+ version on 335i will it leave any store code in my ECU when i take it in for service?(assuming I take the unit out, when i go into servive) Kinda worried about the warranty issue, if I need to claim something
      09-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #20
YvesD
Lamininist

Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2x View Post
Well as far as recommendations go for the install:

Everything you do related to the install is only hard if you don't know what you are doing, after you figure out how everything works then its really not a big deal.

Good luck!
This would have been very handy for me earlier !

Installed my JB3 and experienced most of the problems mentioned in the first post.

When you are not familiar with the bits and bobs you are paranoid about damaging something and this leads to being over cautious. Took me nearly all day on and off but rather that way than rush it and break something.

Next time will be a doddle however...

Great product by the way.

Yves
YvesD is offline   United Kingdom
      09-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #21
nickyboy
Private

Drives: ariel atom 300/ 335i saloon

Guy's, i got mine through the post today and decided to fit it asap! waited about 13 days for it to arrive (UK)

How i went about installing the JB3 was, i watched the video install and at the same time wrote down all of the instructions on a sticky pad and used this to install, like this...

LG SUB CON,
yellow=10
light red=11
brown=17
white=29
black=32

WHITE SUB CON,
purple=7
green=14
grey=9

SMALL SUB CON
orange=6
blue=7

GREY SUB CON,
dark RED!!=7

Easy as ABC!!!

Nick
nickyboy is offline   United Kingdom
      09-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #22
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 917-939-4980

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
Guy's, i got mine through the post today and decided to fit it asap! waited about 13 days for it to arrive (UK)

How i went about installing the JB3 was, i watched the video install and at the same time wrote down all of the instructions on a sticky pad and used this to install, like this...

LG SUB CON,
yellow=10
light red=11
brown=17
white=29
black=32

WHITE SUB CON,
purple=7
green=14
grey=9

SMALL SUB CON
orange=6
blue=7

GREY SUB CON,
dark RED!!=7

Easy as ABC!!!

Nick
wow I didn't realize that the new platforms require 11 wires to be intercepted!!
cn555ic is offline   United_States