E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Sliding/tilt sunroof anti trap function

01-26-2015, 11:34 AM   #1
Echo335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Sliding/tilt sunroof anti trap function

So recently I got the sunroof anti-trap function warning and my sunroof stopped working. I tried the reset method but it did not work. So I took the cabin light unit out and accessed the motor unit to the sunroof. I then manually closed the sunroof and now the reset method worked and reset the sunroof. Now today the same thing happens and I get the warning again and the sunroof stops working so again I have to access the sunroof motor unit and have to go through the steps I did yesterday and it reset. Why does this keep happening? And how come I have to access the motor unit every time and reset it manually and then the reset works? Why does the reset not work without having to first access the sunroof motor unit? But more importantly--what is triggering this error?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo335 View Post
So recently I got the sunroof anti-trap function warning and my sunroof stopped working. I tried the reset method but it did not work. So I took the cabin light unit out and accessed the motor unit to the sunroof. I then manually closed the sunroof and now the reset method worked and reset the sunroof. Now today the same thing happens and I get the warning again and the sunroof stops working so again I have to access the sunroof motor unit and have to go through the steps I did yesterday and it reset. Why does this keep happening? And how come I have to access the motor unit every time and reset it manually and then the reset works? Why does the reset not work without having to first access the sunroof motor unit? But more importantly--what is triggering this error?

Thanks.
I don't know a lot about our sunroofs but...
How old is your battery? Electrical gremlins can be caused by a weak battery.

Also, could be a sign of a bad motor and it's trying to tell you it's dying. Or, not sure how the anti-trap system actually worse, but it's just a sensor, then perhaps in the sensor going bad?
Just some thoughts.
      09-26-2015, 11:47 PM   #3
d_slice1
Rep
Drives: 2006 AW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo335 View Post

Thanks.
Old thread but I think I'm having the same issue. I got the anti trap dash light on my car. Dealer said the motor is probably bad at the last service. I'm just ignoring it for now as it's about to start getting cold and I rarely use it anyway. But I'll probably end up doing the motor swap myself when I get bored this winter. Did you end up replacing the motor to fix it? Is it very involved? Sounds like you can get to the motor easily? Haven't looked it up in the service manual yet just thought I'd pick your brain.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 03:22 AM   #4
dbworld4k
Gearhead
Canada
Rep
Drives: Rickshaw

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [5.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Check your fuses!!! The fuses for the window controls also affect the sunroof. I had a completely random sunroof error like this one day and could not initialize it for the life of me. Turns out my glovebox was missing the appropriate fuse ALL this time! Looks like the PO or someone removed it for whatever reason, yet he sunroof worked for the 1.5 years I owned it until a random day this summer, even though I didn't touch the controls.

FBO+PTF, Wavetrac LSD, BBS LM-R, Ohlins R&T, M3 sways/arms, CPS CF lip, PE +quad Cyba tips, Synapse BOV, EU LCI tails, OSS V2, LED front/sides, BMW Perf. SSK/knob/boot/ebrake/V1 electronic wheel/CF trim
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 06:34 PM   #5
d_slice1
Rep

I'll double check my fuses but I'm pretty sure they're not the issue here as I checked most of the window related fuses last week. (Infamous door lock actuator problem )
Thanks for the heads up though! If it turns out to be a fuse I'm going to feel like an ass
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 08:37 PM   #6
dbworld4k
Gearhead
Canada
Rep
Drives: Rickshaw

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [5.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [5.00]
My windows or other electricals had no other issues, yet it was a fuse problem in my case. I know, it makes no sense but these BMWs have some weird ass electronics, lol.

FBO+PTF, Wavetrac LSD, BBS LM-R, Ohlins R&T, M3 sways/arms, CPS CF lip, PE +quad Cyba tips, Synapse BOV, EU LCI tails, OSS V2, LED front/sides, BMW Perf. SSK/knob/boot/ebrake/V1 electronic wheel/CF trim
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #7
d_slice1
Rep

Wow. So it was completely missing the sunroof fuse. I do indeed feel pretty dumb. I just recently bought the car and the previous owner said the sunroof randomly just stopped working and her dealer said it was the motor. I suspect what really happened was her door lock fuse blew and she didn't have extras so she pulled the sunroof fuse. That's what I get for listening to someone with minimal car experience! Thanks for the tip dbworld. Roof is working after initializing except it seems to "run into" the windbreak thing when one-touch closing. Weird but it closes fine when I hold the button so that's fine for me. I bet the actuator on that windbreak is just getting sticky. Anyway, thanks again!
Appreciate 0