E90Post

Strut Monkey

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Transmission Filter / Gasket Recommendations

05-29-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
jpregione
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

Transmission Filter / Gasket Recommendations

Looking at transmission filter / gasket for a 2009 328i with gm transmission and wanted input on whether or not to use BMW original or another brand (vaico, beck/arnley, etc). Filters aren't that big of a price difference but the oil pan gasket is double for bmw brand.

Haven't seen any posts that discuss the alternatives so wanted your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
jpregione
Enlisted Member
Rep

Also, two more questions. First, is it ok to re-use the transmission pan bolts on the GM transmission? 2. Anybody know the thread size for the transmission drain plug? I want to get a magnetic one to replace the oem but I can't seem to find the specs anywhere.

I contacted Drain Plug Magnets (dimple) to see if they knew which size i needed and they apparently don't want to sell me one. First they said I shouldn't replace it since its hard to get to, when i told them i was getting ready to have service done they said it wasn't needed because the transmission pan has a magnet in it.

So if anyone has the thread pitch for both the drain and fill plugs that would be great.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 11:26 PM   #3
patents
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

I got this kit when I did mine:

https://www.getbmwparts.com/partloca...catalogid=4462

For what you get, I thought the price was reasonable, and I didn't have to go around figuring out what I needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 08:53 AM   #4
jpregione
Enlisted Member
Rep

That's a pretty good price, so is it recommended to change out the bolts and plugs then when you do this job?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
patents
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

I don't know what BMW's recommendation is. I changed them because they came in the kit, so why not. I figured that they come in the kit for a reason.

I did a quick little search and a few folks recommended changing the pan bolts because the old ones weren't snug when torqued to spec because they were stretched.

If you really wanted to find out, you may find more information on GM sites by searching for the GM designation for the transmission (I forgot what it is).
Appreciate 0