E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Engine Over Heating, WP or Temp Sensor?

11-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
BRAISKI
Colonel
Spain
Rep

Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [3.50]
Engine Over Heating, WP or Temp Sensor?

My car as about 110k (kms) N55 2010

So today driving to Toronto the car started losing power. So I stopped turn off the engine for 3 mins the drove again then after 30 mins or so it gave the message again. I turn the car off for 1 min then drove and it didn't show again. Mind you I arrived at my destination. (Waterloo to Toronto).
Coming back to Waterloo from Toronto, I had to stop twice, I actually stopped 3 times, the second time was at a the Service Centre tired to be proactive, stopped for few mins then drove, but few mins later warning came! So it didn't really help. It seems I just need to turn off and on the car then it good to go again.

Just wondering if this is the temperature sensor or the water pump?

I also noticed sometimes in the past 2 weeks when I shift from 2nd to 3rd the care "chokes" a bit. It doesnt happen all the time though.

I got the Engine Temperature is High and the later the Engine Overheated.
The temp gauge never go pass 120C which is the middle.

Last edited by BRAISKI; 11-10-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
index1489
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Out of warranty BMW

A simple pull of the codes will tell you everything you need to know, more then likely its the pump. Since your in Canada you should specific KM or Miles.
      11-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAISKI View Post
My car as about 110k N55 2010

So today driving to Toronto the car started losing power. So I stopped turn off the engine for 3 mins the drove again then after 30 mins or so it gave the message again. I turn the car off for 1 min then drove and it didn't show again. Mind you I arrived at my destination. (Waterloo to Toronto).
Coming back to Waterloo from Toronto, I had to stop twice, I actually stopped 3 times, the second time was at a the Service Centre tired to be proactive, stopped for few mins then drove, but few mins later warning came! So it didn't really help. It seems I just need to turn off and on the car then it good to go again.

Just wondering if this is the temperature sensor or the water pump?

I also noticed sometimes in the past 2 weeks when I shift from 2nd to 3rd the care "chokes" a bit. It doesnt happen all the time though.

I got the Engine Temperature is High and the later the Engine Overheated.
The temp gauge never go pass 120C which is the middle.
The temp gauge is OIL, not coolant - reading different things.

There are multiple coolant temperature sensors, there is one water pump. Calculate the odds of what has failed.
Appreciate 0