E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil Changes / Buying filters



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-18-2006, 11:30 AM   #23
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
poldim's Avatar
Russian Federation
77
Rep
3,134
Posts

 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to poldim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Wilson
LMAO I think we just saved him alot of trouble...........

Just to reiterate, DO NOT REMOVE THE ENTIRE OIL PAN.....



Jesse


I'm just hoping he was kidding, becuase if he wasnt, he shouldnt be doing any DIYs.
__________________
-Dmitriy
06' BMW 330i & 03' Suzuki GSX-R600

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Rogue Engineering 12MM Spacers | Black Line Tail Lights
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 01:34 PM   #24
segfault
Private First Class
5
Rep
137
Posts

 
Drives: No longer own a BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

The OBC *does not* reset itself when you change the oil. But, that's what you want it to do. If you're doing oil changes outside of the BMW guidelines, you will never receive any oil changes under the full maintenance plan if you reset the computer yourself when you change the oil at 2,000/5,000/10,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 01:41 PM   #25
e90fanatic
Absolute0
e90fanatic's Avatar
No_Country
71
Rep
5,018
Posts

 
Drives: Has a Roundel
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TO/HK/NJ

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to e90fanatic
hahaha....i didn't look at it yet...just recalled other members talking about it before....so it's fine right? Where can I get the tool to use on the drain bolt?
__________________
To procede or not to procede......
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 01:42 PM   #26
e90fanatic
Absolute0
e90fanatic's Avatar
No_Country
71
Rep
5,018
Posts

 
Drives: Has a Roundel
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TO/HK/NJ

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to e90fanatic
oh...and thanks..otherwise i mite have screwed up big time!!! haha..thanks again
__________________
To procede or not to procede......
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 04:51 PM   #27
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
poldim's Avatar
Russian Federation
77
Rep
3,134
Posts

 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to poldim
If you arent sure about what tool to use, maybe you should consider letting someone do it that's done it before. Not saying you cant, just might be safer.

In general, the drain bolt is just that, a bolt. Probably somewhere between the 12-14 mm range if I had to guess...
__________________
-Dmitriy
06' BMW 330i & 03' Suzuki GSX-R600

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Rogue Engineering 12MM Spacers | Black Line Tail Lights
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 08:34 PM   #28
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
NaTuReB0Y's Avatar
United_States
121
Rep
7,381
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Inland Empire

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by segfault
The OBC *does not* reset itself when you change the oil. But, that's what you want it to do. If you're doing oil changes outside of the BMW guidelines, you will never receive any oil changes under the full maintenance plan if you reset the computer yourself when you change the oil at 2,000/5,000/10,000 miles.
after each oil change....my monitor changes....

now it's

7,000 mls
05/2007

it's probably gonna change after this weekend when i do my 3rd oil change....
__________________
2006 E90 330i Jet Black | 20" WORK VS-XX | FK452 | H&R Sport on Koni Yellow | REMUS QUAD
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 09:28 PM   #29
segfault
Private First Class
5
Rep
137
Posts

 
Drives: No longer own a BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y
after each oil change....my monitor changes....

now it's

7,000 mls
05/2007

it's probably gonna change after this weekend when i do my 3rd oil change....
Let me hazard a guess--was your car built in May, 2005? I'm not sure if it's capable of doing this, but the monitor's mileage may change slightly due to variations in oil level or quality, but if the CBS was truly reset (which must be done manually), it would indicate 16,000 miles or 24 months until your next oil change, as this is the default mileage/time display after a reset.

If you wait until 12 months after your car was delivered, BMW USA will change the oil at no charge, as the US manual says it is supposed to be changed every year even if not called for by the CBS.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 09:30 PM   #30
MuskratJoe
Who's got the Fob to my Bimmer
MuskratJoe's Avatar
Canada
0
Rep
28
Posts

 
Drives: without regard for safety
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London, On

iTrader: (0)

The little button you push to reset your tripmeter. If you hold it down for a couple seconds it brings you where you can reset your oil meter countdown. Anybody else tried this?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2006, 09:49 PM   #31
e90fanatic
Absolute0
e90fanatic's Avatar
No_Country
71
Rep
5,018
Posts

 
Drives: Has a Roundel
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TO/HK/NJ

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to e90fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by poldim
If you arent sure about what tool to use, maybe you should consider letting someone do it that's done it before. Not saying you cant, just might be safer.

In general, the drain bolt is just that, a bolt. Probably somewhere between the 12-14 mm range if I had to guess...
how can not sure what tool to use can be dangerous? how hard is turning a bolt and releasing the oil out? I just need to get the tool.
__________________
To procede or not to procede......
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 12:20 AM   #32
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
NaTuReB0Y's Avatar
United_States
121
Rep
7,381
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Inland Empire

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by segfault
Let me hazard a guess--was your car built in May, 2005? I'm not sure if it's capable of doing this, but the monitor's mileage may change slightly due to variations in oil level or quality, but if the CBS was truly reset (which must be done manually), it would indicate 16,000 miles or 24 months until your next oil change, as this is the default mileage/time display after a reset.

If you wait until 12 months after your car was delivered, BMW USA will change the oil at no charge, as the US manual says it is supposed to be changed every year even if not called for by the CBS.
bought the car in July....so i guess it was built in May.

my dealer hates me.....i hate my dealer.....i do my own oil change.
__________________
2006 E90 330i Jet Black | 20" WORK VS-XX | FK452 | H&R Sport on Koni Yellow | REMUS QUAD
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 12:35 AM   #33
ages944
Captain
ages944's Avatar
Poland
41
Rep
990
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago 'burbs

iTrader: (0)

drain bolt is 17mm
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 11:16 AM   #34
E90Fleet
Major General
South Africa
157
Rep
8,098
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fanatic
how can not sure what tool to use can be dangerous? how hard is turning a bolt and releasing the oil out? I just need to get the tool.
Well if you dont replace the washer, seat it correctly or torque the bolt correctly when replacing it your car may dump all its oil somwhere and you could damage or loose you engine.

Same if you dont replace and reseat the filters o-rings properly
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 11:18 AM   #35
E90Fleet
Major General
South Africa
157
Rep
8,098
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by segfault

If you wait until 12 months after your car was delivered, BMW USA will change the oil at no charge, as the US manual says it is supposed to be changed every year even if not called for by the CBS.

I still wonder why the USA got 1 year changes while the rest of us have to wait for 2 year changes
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 06:12 PM   #36
e90fanatic
Absolute0
e90fanatic's Avatar
No_Country
71
Rep
5,018
Posts

 
Drives: Has a Roundel
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TO/HK/NJ

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to e90fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Well if you dont replace the washer, seat it correctly or torque the bolt correctly when replacing it your car may dump all its oil somwhere and you could damage or loose you engine.

Same if you dont replace and reseat the filters o-rings properly
...it's not the first time playing with hardware.
__________________
To procede or not to procede......
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 08:13 PM   #37
segfault
Private First Class
5
Rep
137
Posts

 
Drives: No longer own a BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskratJoe
The little button you push to reset your tripmeter. If you hold it down for a couple seconds it brings you where you can reset your oil meter countdown. Anybody else tried this?
I believe you're referring to the hidden or secret menu unlock, or at least it sounds like the same thing as what has been discovered...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 09:31 PM   #38
irowharderthanyou
Private First Class
irowharderthanyou's Avatar
5
Rep
143
Posts

 
Drives: 330i TiAg
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
I still wonder why the USA got 1 year changes while the rest of us have to wait for 2 year changes
I also wonder why BMW set our computers to show 2 years default on the time to next service. If they recommend 1 year in the manual, they should set the date at 1 year on the computer.
__________________
2006 330i TiAg - Beige, Step, ZPP, ZCP, Sat. Prep.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 07:57 AM   #39
segfault
Private First Class
5
Rep
137
Posts

 
Drives: No longer own a BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irowharderthanyou
I also wonder why BMW set our computers to show 2 years default on the time to next service. If they recommend 1 year in the manual, they should set the date at 1 year on the computer.
USA got 1-year changes because people here freak out about changing their oil.

I assume that the service intervals are hard-coded into the CBS system, and it was not worth the trouble to recode it for the US. Once it is reset, it starts another 15,500 miles or 2 years cycle...

In order to make the computer comply with what the US manual says, it might be possible to set the car's clock one year back before resetting the CBS. (Note: this is probably only possible once you're out of Full Maintenance, as the dealer will probably reset the date if it's a year off before resetting the CBS.) So, if I were having my annual oil change done now, I would set the car's date to 04/21/2005, change the oil, and reset the meter, then change the date back to 04/21/2006, then the CBS would show the next oil service due in 04/2007. I have not tried this and do not intend to, and it may cause unforeseen and unintended consequences, so try it at your own risk.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST