E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > CPO question

10-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
kaichuan
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2007 335XI

Question CPO question

Hi,

I am a newbie here and looking for some info regarding BMW CPO clearification.

Looking to buy a 335XI, however, couldn't find it anywhere in west coast and only things available are from east coast. The concern I have is about the rust may occour on the east coast car since they use salt.

Is a CPO car suppose to check for rust? Or if the car has rust, can the car still be certificted as CPO? The BMW warranty cover "defects in materials or workmanship that may result in rust perforation of the vehicle body" but probably not anything caused by salt.

Just want to have a piece of mind before I buy. Thanks a lot for your help!!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
Bartman619
Captain
Rep

Drives: Bimmer

I'm pretty sure that CPO is supposed to check for rust. I looked at my CPO checklist which came with my care and there's a Body Condition: Fit & Finish list. The checklist covers the conditions of the front bumper, hood, core suuport,inner fenders, front fenders, rocker/sill panels, roof, dors, quarter panels, trunk,rear bumper, innert trunk panels, etc. The list is very thorough and the items are checked either Meets BMW Guidelines & Standards with a comment section. Luckily all the comments were empty on mine. But looking at the CPO Warranty on what is not covered.

Body and Interior
Paint; glass; headlamps; bulbs (except instrumentation); mirrors; lenses; body and chassis; body seals and gaskets; interior and exterior trim, moldings, and fasteners; upholstery, headliner, carpeting, floor and trunk mats; convertible top (all components except electronics); air or water leaks; wind or body noises; wheels; damage due to rust, corrosion, or contamination, except as covered by the BMW New Vehicle Rust and Corrosion Perforation Warranty

It looks like the rust issues on car is covered by the BMW New Vehicle Rust and Perfornation Warranty.

Rust protection for 2006 and newer models.
For 2006 and newer models, we also provide a 12-year limited warranty, without mileage limitation, for defects in materials or workmanship that may result in rust perforation of the vehicle body. This coverage begins on the date of the first retail sale or the date the vehicle is first placed in service as a demonstrator or company vehicle, whichever is earlier
Appreciate 0