E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Wastegate Ticking Resolved Without Getting 29.2! Works With 29.2 As Well!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-13-2008, 08:31 AM   #89
oddjob2021
ASR Turbos+LSD+Meth= :D
oddjob2021's Avatar
23
Rep
1,517
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
This is so true!
I'll even update the titles to comment a bit further.

You guys really need to understand how a turbo works in order to do this.
Wastegates are there for a reason.
The statement down below is just like saying...
"Would it be bad if I just eliminated the fuse box and just replaced all of the fuses with wires? This way, there would be no fuses to blow."
Mr. 5 has a great laymens example for us all as always what a goood guy!
__________________

2007 335i Coupe
Mods: Check the Garage
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #90
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,710
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Near some canyons

iTrader: (1)

CRAP! I think my front wastegate is rattling. I adjusted the rear one about 2 turns and confirmed with the "crowbar on the rod" method that it is not rattling.

But I still get rattle on decel. Anyone try to get to the front wastegate rod? Is it even possible?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 09:43 AM   #91
David1
Colonel
David1's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
2,664
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: City With No Room For Ludicris Speed!

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
CRAP! I think my front wastegate is rattling. I adjusted the rear one about 2 turns and confirmed with the "crowbar on the rod" method that it is not rattling.

But I still get rattle on decel. Anyone try to get to the front wastegate rod? Is it even possible?
Rattle or just a lettle flutter,rattly sound?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #92
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
CRAP! I think my front wastegate is rattling. I adjusted the rear one about 2 turns and confirmed with the "crowbar on the rod" method that it is not rattling.

But I still get rattle on decel. Anyone try to get to the front wastegate rod? Is it even possible?
I don't know why the front one would be rattling because the front wastegate is supposed to be open during the idle and deceleration, hence not rattling against the seal.
The only thing that I can see happening is if the front wastegate isn't opening all the way.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 10:19 AM   #93
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,710
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Near some canyons

iTrader: (1)

Crap - it's a full on rattle sound. I put a stick against the rear gate just to be sure...and sure enough, the noise is NOT coming from the rear, but rather the front.

ratatatatatat.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #94
oddjob2021
ASR Turbos+LSD+Meth= :D
oddjob2021's Avatar
23
Rep
1,517
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
Crap - it's a full on rattle sound. I put a stick against the rear gate just to be sure...and sure enough, the noise is NOT coming from the rear, but rather the front.

ratatatatatat.
ouch dude, what a rare case... i guess you have to hand it over to bmw? or if you're a super DIY'er you can take off the front turbo and adjust from there... i dont think you can adjust it on the car
__________________

2007 335i Coupe
Mods: Check the Garage
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #95
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
Crap - it's a full on rattle sound. I put a stick against the rear gate just to be sure...and sure enough, the noise is NOT coming from the rear, but rather the front.

ratatatatatat.
That sucks man!! It really sounds as though the there is something different going on with your front wastegate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob2021 View Post
ouch dude, what a rare case... i guess you have to hand it over to bmw? or if you're a super DIY'er you can take off the front turbo and adjust from there... i dont think you can adjust it on the car
I agree. BMW should be looking at this.
It sounds like more of a wastegate issue.
Possibly a new turbo??
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 04:35 PM   #96
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
19
Rep
1,622
Posts

 
Drives: A51-E92
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bradenton - FL

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.50]
i tried this fix this afternoon, and couldn't get that nut loose. I was afraid of putting to much pressure on it.
__________________

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 01:31 AM   #97
oddjob2021
ASR Turbos+LSD+Meth= :D
oddjob2021's Avatar
23
Rep
1,517
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLion View Post
i tried this fix this afternoon, and couldn't get that nut loose. I was afraid of putting to much pressure on it.
strange you sure you had a good hold on the other wrench groove (4mm)?
__________________

2007 335i Coupe
Mods: Check the Garage
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #98
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
19
Rep
1,622
Posts

 
Drives: A51-E92
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bradenton - FL

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob2021 View Post
strange you sure you had a good hold on the other wrench groove (4mm)?
im sure i did....i think i was just being too cautious
__________________

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #99
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
19
Rep
1,622
Posts

 
Drives: A51-E92
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bradenton - FL

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.50]
wait wait....i just read your post again.....i have the hold the rod with the 4mm wrench to loose the nut first?
__________________

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 01:17 PM   #100
oddjob2021
ASR Turbos+LSD+Meth= :D
oddjob2021's Avatar
23
Rep
1,517
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLion View Post
wait wait....i just read your post again.....i have the hold the rod with the 4mm wrench to loose the nut first?
My suggestion to avoid confusion is to PM Mr. 5. He always has a easy and succinct way of explaining it :P and yes i think you loosen the nut... then do turn(s) with the 4mm and then tighten the nut again.
__________________

2007 335i Coupe
Mods: Check the Garage
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #101
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Just to let you guys know,
A couple guys came over yesterday to get rid of the infamous ticking sound.

Although I had a bad experience in the past with working on another member's car, I was persuaded otherwise by one of the members.
I learned a couple things during this work.

One of the members had a car with the newer software (+29.2) and the ticking was present.
The interesting thing is that the ticking happens opposite when compared to the pre 29.2 programs.

In the pre 29.2, the ticking happens at deceleration and at idle, but with the +29.2 program, the wastegates are open at idle, but once the accelerator is depressed, the wastegate shuts.
If there is not enough pressure on the wastegate seal, then the ticking will happen under light acceleration and throttle blipping.

Therefore, I have concluded that this rear wastegate ticking fix will also help the +29.2 software cars.

This is good news!

I was always curious with how there would stll be ticking with +29.2 cars since the wastegates are open at idle, but now I understand.
The ticking happens during the time the wastegates shut. Hence, it happens under acceleration.

If you are local and confused with my instructions or you do not feel comfortable with performing this work, then you can PM me to set up an appointment for me to take care of this for you.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #102
ocinek
Private
1
Rep
80
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Great thread; Mr 5 you are doing everyone a big favor by posting your findings.

I have a 135 with 900miles and I just developed this rattle. I hear it loud during idle, and my car already has the horrible laggy software (July 08 build). The SA told me he would have to update the software first and only replace the actuators after it rattles post-update. My car has exceptionally bad throttle response and I wonder if the latest software will even slightly improve this... I will find out soon...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #103
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocinek View Post
Great thread; Mr 5 you are doing everyone a big favor by posting your findings.

I have a 135 with 900miles and I just developed this rattle. I hear it loud during idle, and my car already has the horrible laggy software (July 08 build). The SA told me he would have to update the software first and only replace the actuators after it rattles post-update. My car has exceptionally bad throttle response and I wonder if the latest software will even slightly improve this... I will find out soon...
PM sent.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 08:11 AM   #104
jgalaxy
Gearing
jgalaxy's Avatar
Canada
40
Rep
3,799
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (3)

Thank you Mr 5 for this thread and your work here.

I've had my car for 13 months and have been experiencing a loud rattle for the last 8 months on cold start until it warms up and then only at low RPM (2200-2400). 15-20 minutes later it's gone.

BMW offered to update the cars software instead of fixing it which I refused.

Am I experiencing the same issue that is being discussed here? I would truly love to hear this nuissance finally disappear.

Thanks
__________________
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking
about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." - George W

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #105
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
Thank you Mr 5 for this thread and your work here.

I've had my car for 13 months and have been experiencing a loud rattle for the last 8 months on cold start until it warms up and then only at low RPM (2200-2400). 15-20 minutes later it's gone.

BMW offered to update the cars software instead of fixing it which I refused.

Am I experiencing the same issue that is being discussed here? I would truly love to hear this nuissance finally disappear.

Thanks
Based on my experience with the other day, one of the guys had the newer program, and he experienced the same as you.
After I did the fix, his front wastegate was still rattling but only at startup.

It sounds like you might have the newer program already.
Rev up the engine and let the engine drop. If you here the ticking while the engine is dropping in rpm then you have the old program.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #106
adc
Brigadier General
53
Rep
4,150
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Would it be bad if I just eliminated the fuse box and just replaced all of the fuses with wires? This way, there would be no fuses to blow.
DYI link, please?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 02:16 AM   #107
jgalaxy
Gearing
jgalaxy's Avatar
Canada
40
Rep
3,799
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Based on my experience with the other day, one of the guys had the newer program, and he experienced the same as you.
After I did the fix, his front wastegate was still rattling but only at startup.

It sounds like you might have the newer program already.
Rev up the engine and let the engine drop. If you here the ticking while the engine is dropping in rpm then you have the old program.
My car was Aug 2007 production so I assume pre-29.2. It sounds like it may be a simple fix, with the exception of getting in there with the right tools. The only oddity is my rattling goes away after it's really warmed up with the exception of a small flutter on low RPM and what sounds like valve clatter on idle.
__________________
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking
about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." - George W

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #108
M3KILL3R
Banned
12
Rep
454
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burbank

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to M3KILL3R
sup guys,
was over at Mr. 5's house on sunday to get my wastegate fixed and gues wat...

the wastegate dont rattle anymore!
im so happy about that! loll
no more annoying rattle

everythink worked out perfectly, didnt even take more than an hour.

Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #109
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3KILL3R View Post
sup guys,
was over at Mr. 5's house on sunday to get my wastegate fixed and gues wat...

the wastegate dont rattle anymore!
im so happy about that! loll
no more annoying rattle

everythink worked out perfectly, didnt even take more than an hour.

Thanks man!
I'm glad you're happy.
I've done 4 cars now (including mine) and they all left with a smile on their face.

Seriously, if you guys are local and are having this problem then hit me up.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #110
Tschuss
Private
0
Rep
92
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Out West

iTrader: (0)

Mr. 5, now that you've done a few of these, do you have any advice as to how many turns are required? Are you turning, then testing for rattle and then maybe turning some more? Or do 2 turns generally do it?

-B
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST